So everybody seems to be taking a certain side on the next-gen hi-def format war, between Blu-ray and HD-DVD. And while I wish it would be over, and I sort of support Blu-ray on this, but there's another kind of format I think should happen. Just for the record though, I like Blu-ray because it seems to be superior to HD-DVD. It holds more space, and as far as I can tell is winning the race right now. Most of its players are cheaper than HD-DVD too. Still, I have nothing against HD-DVD.
But I wish that people considered digital distribution instead. Digital distribution is buying media(in this case movies) online. Most people already have a PC, or even multiple PCs they could use to purchase. It would save money too, because they only need to buy the movie, instead of the player AND the movie. One benefit is that the new technology will allow simultaneous global release of new movies, reducing the ability of pirates to copy a movie in one country and sell videos in areas where the studios haven't released the movie. Another is that when releasing a movie on video, they guess how many video to make and ship out and if its too much they can lose money, but with digital distribution thats different. And by getting the movies online, there would be no shipping costs for the companies, and you could not lose, break, or stolen because they could add copyright protection. I'm not advocating the use of DRM, but it can be used to prevent theft in this case.
I just thought of something too: Say you wanted to sell your online bought movie. There would be some sell option and you could sell it to your friend. After the process is done, they would download the movie and they would now be able to watch it, because they bought it from you. Like a CD key being transferred but automatic through DRM. DRM was made for a good purpose at first, why not use it for a good purpose now?
Of course there could be problems with this. For one, internet speeds. As far as I know we are not exactly at the point of being able to purchase a video, and download it within even an hour. Not usually anyway. The other problem I can think of is the fact that I, like many will oppose the use of DRM and copyright protection in this. For the uses I stated above I would be fine, but thats never the case with the music and movie industry. So that would mean people would be cracking the DRM, and upsetting the industry worker people. Which could be bad. Its already being considered though so there is hope for this kind of format.
Sorry for not being more organized in this post, I'm pretty tired so there could be errors or mistakes. I'll edit this when I wake up tomorrow. Also, I know this is very unlikely to happen anytime soon but I wanted people to know a little bit about it. Thanks for reading, I'm goin to sleep.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 1558 Active Users (286 Members and 1272 Guests)
- › [eTeknix] Intel Core i9-7960X 16 cores, 32 threads Geekbench Scores... 2 minutes ago
- › [WCCFTech] AMD’s RX Vega 56 and 64’s $399 and $499 Price Tag Was A... 3 minutes ago
- › Vega Frontier / RX Vega Owners/Info thread. 5 minutes ago
- › ASUS X99 Sabertooth Owners Thread 5 minutes ago
- › [Various] RX Vega 64 & 56 Reviews 6 minutes ago
- › 2 GIGABYTE 980Ti G1 Gaming OC Edition 6 minutes ago
- › GTX 1070 SC only using x8 PCI-E lanes instead of x16 7 minutes ago
- › Recommend 16 port SAS/SATA PCIe card for JBOD 7 minutes ago
- › Bequiet 800/900 vs Fractal Design R5 7 minutes ago
- › Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power 9 minutes ago
- › HDPLEX H5 Fanless Computer Chassis by michelme67
- › Nuance Power PDF Standard by Lady Fitzgerald
- › ID-COOLING SE214L Snow Edition CPU Heatsink by DaveLT
- › Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)... by ADmodz
- › Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 (Dark Silver) (920-003366) by enes13mes
- › PDF Studio 12 - Advanced PDF Editor for Windows - Pro Edition... by Lady Fitzgerald
- › Brand New Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 Portable Document Scanner... by Lady Fitzgerald
- › Tecware Phantom Backlit Mechanical Keyboard (Red / White Backlit... by DaveLT
- › Allsop XL Mouse Pad- Raindrop Blue by neilyo
- › Manjaro Linux XFCE 64bit (Latest Version) Arch based linux by AlphaC
- › (OPINION) AMD shot themselves in the foot by...
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...