In my most recent entry, I mentioned that I was at last trying out Vista after using XP almost exclusively (aside from a brief, and temporarily interrupted, dalliance with Ubuntu) as my operating system. At the time of writing, I was feeling a mild tinge of disappointment with Vista, primarily because of how it felt a little slow compared to a fresh-out-of-the-box XP installation.
A couple of evenings of use later, I must admit that perhaps my initial observations may have been a result of a colored perception; I will allow that I had at least a mild bias against Vista. Part of that is because of the marketing spin against it, both official (from Apple) and unofficial (from Apple users and XP diehards). Part of it is also because of a near complete absence of experience using it. Apart from taste tests at the local Best Buys or Fry's Electronics stores, I have to say that I acquired a strong resistance to Vista.
It must also be said that I felt absolutely no motivation to buy a license to be able to use it.
However, once the impediment of cost was removed, I only had to overcome my own biases in order to finally give Vista a try. And so, a couple of nights ago, I installed it.
It felt slow then. Everything acted smoothly, but it felt slightly sluggish.
But I settled on actually trying to use Vista as I would XP. That is, I wanted to see if I could actually LIVE with it and USE it.
I installed my drivers and programs; I ran my programs (nothing heavy-duty yet at this point) and used my machine as normal. Strangely enough, the perception of sluggishness dissipated. Instead, I was drawn even more to Vista's huge appeal for me, which is the gorgeous eye candy.
Computing is all about functionality, and Vista didn't seem to have any serious "gotchas" even into my third evening of living with it. The one problem I ran into it was trying to run an older version of Nero 7 which, I found to my mild surprise, was incompatible with Vista. That's okay; I expected that some older software would not be compatible with it.
Perhaps my mind has been sufficiently distracted by the beauty of Vista's visuals. Maybe my initial perceptions were actually just colored by my underlying biases against it. Whatever the truth is, at the moment Vista feels just fine. It's not snappy like a brand-new XP installation always feels, but it's not molasses-slow either.
In the coming days and weeks I shall be installing and playing my games on this Vista system. It's an exciting thought.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2944 Active Users (638 Members and 2306 Guests)
- › [TR] Wanted for review: AMD's R9 Radeon Nano - Techreport denied a... 7 seconds ago
- › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club 24 seconds ago
- › [Official] The Qnix/X-Star 1440p Monitor Club 25 seconds ago
- › [Official] Case PHANTEKS Case Club for lovers & owners 25 seconds ago
- › [Technologyreview] Meltdown-Proof Nuclear Reactors Get a Safety... 1 minute ago
- › [Various] Ashes of the Singularity DX12 Benchmarks 1 minute ago
- › [Official] AMD R9 390/390X Owners Club 1 minute ago
- › [Hexus]PowerColor Devil 13 Dual Core R9 390 16GB announced 1 minute ago
- › [Official] ASUS sabertooth AMD Owners Club 2 minutes ago
- › Razer Diamondback. IT'S BACK! 2 minutes ago
- › Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Quad-Core Desktop Processor by thesuperegoist
- › EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 Power Supply 220-P2-1200-X2 by Ypsylon
- › VAIO Z (2015 Model) by hydroninja9
- › Samsung U28E850R 28.0 inch Widescreen 1,000:1 1ms... by Hattifnatten
- › COOLER MASTER HAF X nVidia Edition NV-942-KKN1 Computer Case by wrath04
- › Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Processor by Niobium
- › Cooler Master Nepton 280L - Water Cooling System with Dual JetFlo... by Thetbrett
- › Intel Core i7-960 Processor 3.20 GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1366 by AlienPrime173
- › Microsoft Windows 10 Home | Download by Gregsta
- › Nixeus MODA v2 MK-BL15 Compact Mechanical Keyboard - Blue Switch... by Ramzinho
- › The Witcher 3 v1.08 - Performance Test
- › Need some help figuring out some sound settings
- › I need help with water cooling on my computer.
- › Overclock Labs - Community Review Program...
- › P5K-VM chassis intrusion hardware fix
- › overcloking gtx 770 lightning
- › Regarding CSGO MouseMovementRecorder
- › Dangerous Things: xNTi NFC Tag Implants
- › Grand Theft Auto V build 393.2 - Performance...
- › The Witcher 3 v1.06 - Performance Test