In my most recent entry, I mentioned that I was at last trying out Vista after using XP almost exclusively (aside from a brief, and temporarily interrupted, dalliance with Ubuntu) as my operating system. At the time of writing, I was feeling a mild tinge of disappointment with Vista, primarily because of how it felt a little slow compared to a fresh-out-of-the-box XP installation.
A couple of evenings of use later, I must admit that perhaps my initial observations may have been a result of a colored perception; I will allow that I had at least a mild bias against Vista. Part of that is because of the marketing spin against it, both official (from Apple) and unofficial (from Apple users and XP diehards). Part of it is also because of a near complete absence of experience using it. Apart from taste tests at the local Best Buys or Fry's Electronics stores, I have to say that I acquired a strong resistance to Vista.
It must also be said that I felt absolutely no motivation to buy a license to be able to use it.
However, once the impediment of cost was removed, I only had to overcome my own biases in order to finally give Vista a try. And so, a couple of nights ago, I installed it.
It felt slow then. Everything acted smoothly, but it felt slightly sluggish.
But I settled on actually trying to use Vista as I would XP. That is, I wanted to see if I could actually LIVE with it and USE it.
I installed my drivers and programs; I ran my programs (nothing heavy-duty yet at this point) and used my machine as normal. Strangely enough, the perception of sluggishness dissipated. Instead, I was drawn even more to Vista's huge appeal for me, which is the gorgeous eye candy.
Computing is all about functionality, and Vista didn't seem to have any serious "gotchas" even into my third evening of living with it. The one problem I ran into it was trying to run an older version of Nero 7 which, I found to my mild surprise, was incompatible with Vista. That's okay; I expected that some older software would not be compatible with it.
Perhaps my mind has been sufficiently distracted by the beauty of Vista's visuals. Maybe my initial perceptions were actually just colored by my underlying biases against it. Whatever the truth is, at the moment Vista feels just fine. It's not snappy like a brand-new XP installation always feels, but it's not molasses-slow either.
In the coming days and weeks I shall be installing and playing my games on this Vista system. It's an exciting thought.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2402 Active Users (448 Members and 1954 Guests)
- › Extract and Flash GTX 970 and 980 Firmware - GPUz Test Build and... 37 seconds ago
- › GPU voltage dropping? (and therefore core clock) 1 minute ago
- › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 970 Owner's Club 2 minutes ago
- › my computer made a loud pop noise and the power in my bedroom went... 2 minutes ago
- › Help Flashing BIOS for CPU Support 2 minutes ago
- › Yamakasi Catleap Monitor Club 2 minutes ago
- › [Official] Scythe GentleTyphoon club 5 minutes ago
- › [Official] Playstation 4 Thread 5 minutes ago
- › * The "Official" Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R/UD5/UD7/UD9 Owner's Club * 6 minutes ago
- › [PCGamer] Ubisoft Promises To Do Better By PC Gamers 10 minutes ago
- › Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R1) by Skye12977
- › GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 660 GV-N660OC-2GD Video Card by Touhid Shohan
- › Half-Life 2 by andrews2547
- › BenQ XL2420TX Black-Red 24"" 5ms (2ms GTG) Widescreen... by cutty1998
- › Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz LGA1155 by Skye12977
- › AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Socket FM2+ Quad-Core Desktop Processor by MCCSolutions
- › AMD FX-9590 5.0GHz Socket AM3+ Eight-Core Desktop Processor by MCCSolutions
- › ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard by MCCSolutions
- › TP-Link TL-WN727N 11NGB 150MB Wireless N USB Adapter by KenLautner
- › AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Socket FM2+ Desktop Processor (BLACK... by PhillyB
- › My Dream PC under $10,000 By: iRyanSparkz YT
- › How to Solder Electronics
- › Broken CM Storm Xornet scroll wheel
- › A Troubling Trend
- › The Truth About FPS
- › My First Case Mod!
- › GPU and CPU power connections
- › A Guide on how to fix Heat Problems
- › [Linux] How to enable backlight control and...
- › How To: Activate a 2012/2012 R2 Virtual Machine