In my most recent entry, I mentioned that I was at last trying out Vista after using XP almost exclusively (aside from a brief, and temporarily interrupted, dalliance with Ubuntu) as my operating system. At the time of writing, I was feeling a mild tinge of disappointment with Vista, primarily because of how it felt a little slow compared to a fresh-out-of-the-box XP installation.
A couple of evenings of use later, I must admit that perhaps my initial observations may have been a result of a colored perception; I will allow that I had at least a mild bias against Vista. Part of that is because of the marketing spin against it, both official (from Apple) and unofficial (from Apple users and XP diehards). Part of it is also because of a near complete absence of experience using it. Apart from taste tests at the local Best Buys or Fry's Electronics stores, I have to say that I acquired a strong resistance to Vista.
It must also be said that I felt absolutely no motivation to buy a license to be able to use it.
However, once the impediment of cost was removed, I only had to overcome my own biases in order to finally give Vista a try. And so, a couple of nights ago, I installed it.
It felt slow then. Everything acted smoothly, but it felt slightly sluggish.
But I settled on actually trying to use Vista as I would XP. That is, I wanted to see if I could actually LIVE with it and USE it.
I installed my drivers and programs; I ran my programs (nothing heavy-duty yet at this point) and used my machine as normal. Strangely enough, the perception of sluggishness dissipated. Instead, I was drawn even more to Vista's huge appeal for me, which is the gorgeous eye candy.
Computing is all about functionality, and Vista didn't seem to have any serious "gotchas" even into my third evening of living with it. The one problem I ran into it was trying to run an older version of Nero 7 which, I found to my mild surprise, was incompatible with Vista. That's okay; I expected that some older software would not be compatible with it.
Perhaps my mind has been sufficiently distracted by the beauty of Vista's visuals. Maybe my initial perceptions were actually just colored by my underlying biases against it. Whatever the truth is, at the moment Vista feels just fine. It's not snappy like a brand-new XP installation always feels, but it's not molasses-slow either.
In the coming days and weeks I shall be installing and playing my games on this Vista system. It's an exciting thought.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 3416 Active Users (742 Members and 2674 Guests)
- › [WSJ] Intel, Micron Claim Chip Breakthrough 19 seconds ago
- › [TFTCentral] Acer Predator XR341CK 34" Curved Gaming Screen with... 26 seconds ago
- › [Official] Counter Strike Global Offensive Thread 1 minute ago
- › [AMD] AMD Releases Catalyst 15.7.1 Driver For Windows 10 Launch 1 minute ago
- › Maxcoin tips for highest performance 1 minute ago
- › HELP Wiring of my H100i 1 minute ago
- › Asus Rampage V Extreme Owners thread 1 minute ago
- › [Official] Galax (Galaxy / KFA2) HOF Owner's Club 2 minutes ago
- › [WCCF] MSI Z170A XPOWER Gaming Titanium Edition Motherboard Unveiled 2 minutes ago
- › [Official] Elite: Dangerous Information and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sapphire Radeon VAPOR-X R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/DP with... by WorldOfMine
- › Rosewill ATX Mid Tower Black Gaming Computer Case Galaxy-01 by WorldOfMine
- › Intel Core i3-4370 3.8GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor by WorldOfMine
- › Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop by Nfsdude0125
- › Alienware 15 ANW15-5350SLV 15.6" i7-4710HQ 16GB 128GB SSD +... by bluehawaiiASTR
- › PlayStation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller by sbcontt
- › Hayate Otsu Soft L Japan Violet | Samurai Gaming Mouse Pad (Made in... by Arizonian
- › SteelSeries Apex M800 Customizable Mechanical Gaming Keyboard by WilliamGayde
- › HIEN SOFT L Japan black | SAMURAI gaming mouse pad (Made in Japan) by Arizonian
- › Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power... by thesuperegoist
- › BenQ FP241W not working with certain games.
- › New User -Opinions/Information Needed
- › Grand Theft Auto V build 393.2 - Performance...
- › The Witcher 3 v1.06 - Performance Test
- › How To - Fix Intel CPU + Geforce GTX SLI -...
- › The GTX 780 TI SLI - End of Life -...
- › I need some help with Overclock
- › How to raid 0 on 2 x SSD or 2 x HDD as...
- › Overclocking Ram - Crucial Ballistix Sport...
- › The Big VR Face-Off