In my most recent entry, I mentioned that I was at last trying out Vista after using XP almost exclusively (aside from a brief, and temporarily interrupted, dalliance with Ubuntu) as my operating system. At the time of writing, I was feeling a mild tinge of disappointment with Vista, primarily because of how it felt a little slow compared to a fresh-out-of-the-box XP installation.
A couple of evenings of use later, I must admit that perhaps my initial observations may have been a result of a colored perception; I will allow that I had at least a mild bias against Vista. Part of that is because of the marketing spin against it, both official (from Apple) and unofficial (from Apple users and XP diehards). Part of it is also because of a near complete absence of experience using it. Apart from taste tests at the local Best Buys or Fry's Electronics stores, I have to say that I acquired a strong resistance to Vista.
It must also be said that I felt absolutely no motivation to buy a license to be able to use it.
However, once the impediment of cost was removed, I only had to overcome my own biases in order to finally give Vista a try. And so, a couple of nights ago, I installed it.
It felt slow then. Everything acted smoothly, but it felt slightly sluggish.
But I settled on actually trying to use Vista as I would XP. That is, I wanted to see if I could actually LIVE with it and USE it.
I installed my drivers and programs; I ran my programs (nothing heavy-duty yet at this point) and used my machine as normal. Strangely enough, the perception of sluggishness dissipated. Instead, I was drawn even more to Vista's huge appeal for me, which is the gorgeous eye candy.
Computing is all about functionality, and Vista didn't seem to have any serious "gotchas" even into my third evening of living with it. The one problem I ran into it was trying to run an older version of Nero 7 which, I found to my mild surprise, was incompatible with Vista. That's okay; I expected that some older software would not be compatible with it.
Perhaps my mind has been sufficiently distracted by the beauty of Vista's visuals. Maybe my initial perceptions were actually just colored by my underlying biases against it. Whatever the truth is, at the moment Vista feels just fine. It's not snappy like a brand-new XP installation always feels, but it's not molasses-slow either.
In the coming days and weeks I shall be installing and playing my games on this Vista system. It's an exciting thought.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2170 Active Users (325 Members and 1845 Guests)
- › mouse wont lock with dual monitors 10 seconds ago
- › AMD APU+GPU Notebook issue! 1 minute ago
- › Anybody own a vardar 3000rpm 1 minute ago
- › [EuroGamer] Face-Off: Rise of the Tomb Raider on PC 2 minutes ago
- › Logitech G900 apparently wireless, dimension estimates 3 minutes ago
- › [TF] Pirate Group Suspends New Cracks To Measure Impact On Sales 4 minutes ago
- › [Official] AMD R9 Radeon FURY / NANO / X / X2 FIJI Owners Club 4 minutes ago
- › [Guardian]‘Error 53’ fury mounts as Apple software update threatens... 4 minutes ago
- › GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ┌(ô益ô)┐ 5 minutes ago
- › [WCCF]Intel Might be Forcing Ban on Non-K OC Feature on Skylake... 6 minutes ago
- › Phanteks 850RPM Case Fan Blades 20030mm Fan Retail Cooling... by MadjinnSayan
- › BenQ XL2730Z 144Hz 1ms 27 inch Gaming Monitor with High Resolution... by Dargonplay
- › Swiftech H240-X CPU Liquid Cooling Kit by Nick-F
- › Lamptron Fan Controller FC-5 Black Version 2, Changeable Display... by Ultisym
- › TR TY-147 140 mm, 2 ball bearing fan, low noise emission. by MadjinnSayan
- › AeroCool Shark 140mm Case cooler by Alastair
- › BitFenix Spectre Pro BFF-LPRO-23030B-RP Blue LED Case Fan by Alastair
- › HD 429S - Headset ( Ohrenschale ) by obikenobi27
- › AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ Eight-Core Desktop... by MatthewGB
- › CORSAIR CX600M 600W Power Supply by MatthewGB
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency
- › Multi Tasking on Intel Haswell CPU's
- › Intel Hyper Threading - Performance Scaling...
- › Intel Core i3 vs Core i5 vs Core i7: Gaming...
- › The Witcher 3 v1.08 - Performance Test
- › Overclock Labs - Community Review Program...
- › P5K-VM chassis intrusion hardware fix