In my most recent entry, I mentioned that I was at last trying out Vista after using XP almost exclusively (aside from a brief, and temporarily interrupted, dalliance with Ubuntu) as my operating system. At the time of writing, I was feeling a mild tinge of disappointment with Vista, primarily because of how it felt a little slow compared to a fresh-out-of-the-box XP installation.
A couple of evenings of use later, I must admit that perhaps my initial observations may have been a result of a colored perception; I will allow that I had at least a mild bias against Vista. Part of that is because of the marketing spin against it, both official (from Apple) and unofficial (from Apple users and XP diehards). Part of it is also because of a near complete absence of experience using it. Apart from taste tests at the local Best Buys or Fry's Electronics stores, I have to say that I acquired a strong resistance to Vista.
It must also be said that I felt absolutely no motivation to buy a license to be able to use it.
However, once the impediment of cost was removed, I only had to overcome my own biases in order to finally give Vista a try. And so, a couple of nights ago, I installed it.
It felt slow then. Everything acted smoothly, but it felt slightly sluggish.
But I settled on actually trying to use Vista as I would XP. That is, I wanted to see if I could actually LIVE with it and USE it.
I installed my drivers and programs; I ran my programs (nothing heavy-duty yet at this point) and used my machine as normal. Strangely enough, the perception of sluggishness dissipated. Instead, I was drawn even more to Vista's huge appeal for me, which is the gorgeous eye candy.
Computing is all about functionality, and Vista didn't seem to have any serious "gotchas" even into my third evening of living with it. The one problem I ran into it was trying to run an older version of Nero 7 which, I found to my mild surprise, was incompatible with Vista. That's okay; I expected that some older software would not be compatible with it.
Perhaps my mind has been sufficiently distracted by the beauty of Vista's visuals. Maybe my initial perceptions were actually just colored by my underlying biases against it. Whatever the truth is, at the moment Vista feels just fine. It's not snappy like a brand-new XP installation always feels, but it's not molasses-slow either.
In the coming days and weeks I shall be installing and playing my games on this Vista system. It's an exciting thought.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2439 Active Users (537 Members and 1902 Guests)
- › Second monitor issues in Windows 8.1 16 seconds ago
- › [Build Log] Corsair C70 with twin XSPC AX360's. 20 seconds ago
- › The Official Debezelled Monitor Club! 42 seconds ago
- › [WCCFTech] EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N 3 GB Pictured... 46 seconds ago
- › [Ocaholic] GeForce GTX 760 SLI vs GTX 780 Ti 53 seconds ago
- › 290 and 290X Litecoin Mining Performance 1 minute ago
- › My Network 2 minutes ago
- › Currencies in early stages? 3 minutes ago
- › NEED HELP (Major Problems) !!!!! MSI P67A-GD55 3 minutes ago
- › [Official] Battlefield 4 Information & Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R1) by himwhoscalledim
- › Corsair Carbide Series 200R Computer Case by himwhoscalledim
- › COOLER MASTER USA RR-T612-20PK-R1 TPC 612 HEAT SINK INTEL LGA... by damric
- › ASRock Micro ATX DDR2 1066 AM2.AM3 Motherboard (960GC-GS FX) by ViR-tUaL
- › Apevia X-Discovery Mid-T by Newbiegeek
- › COOLER MASTER Elite 310 RC-310-BKR2-GP Black with blue front panel... by Newbiegeek
- › COOLER MASTER Elite 361 RC-361-KKR350 Black Computer Case by Newbiegeek
- › Perixx PX-1100, Backlit Keyboard - Red/Blue/Purple Illuminated Keys... by Totally Dubbed
- › Sapphire Radeon R9 280X VAPOR-X Video Card by Switchblade1969
- › Xfx Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) HD-577A-ZNFC Video Card by kinkinkijkin
- › H2O vs. LN2 by Slinky PC
- › Optimal Placement for Your Rig by twistedspace
- › Chat over LAN without cmd using LAN Messenger. by agentoo7
- › Posting Guidelines for Hardware, Vendor, and... by Chipp
- › fan control modding by Dalbaa
- › Why Bonaire is overrated and R7-260X is a... by AlphaC
- › Estimating Fan requirements (draft) by AlphaC
- › Rate My Build by mezzi2010
- › DRAFT : R9 290X compute & workstation by AlphaC
- › Moodle Setup by RUprosprng