Alrighty then, I had completed the lapping (2 hours of work) and I could see my reflection in the now mirror like copper surfaces, especially after using the Final Polish Compound. I must say that I don't think I did that bad of a job considering it was my first time lapping a CPU cooler of any kind. Even though the coarse kit was included in my purchase, it wasn't need it since the surface wasn't that rough to start with.
Anyways, to the point, idle temperatures appeared to have gone down from ~42C to around ~36-37C, a 5-6C drop . Initial startup temperature shows 38C with PCProbe II & Everest and actually dips down to 35C at times after everything has loaded. I'm currently avoiding using CoreTemp since the only readout I could get in the current version is the hottest core temperature and not all four or the overall. Now for the Prime95 load information, I ran the blend torture test for 2 hours and for the first hour it seemed to hold at 53-55C (again a 7-9C drop ) but then things started to warm up from there to 60C :shock: (still a 2C drop) after 2 hours. After much anger , checking the fans to see they were running and their speeds, opening the case to verify I had indeed clamped the cooler down properly and centered it on the CPU, I realized that the ambient temperature near my tower had risen :idea:. Well, duh, hotter air pulled into the tower IS going to make it run hotter overall .
Overall, lapping the CPU cooler had accomplished its intended goal of reducing normal load temperatures by at least 5C, I thought "Now I can start with the overclocking." At that time I'd gotten a CPU multiplier to x17.5 on stock voltage giving me a CPU OC of just over 300MHz for a frequency of 3511MHz. Naturally temperatures had risen, but I was not as close to the 62C mark as before. Stability had me a little concerned since I had a total computer lockup in the middle of a game and Core Temp showed the hottest core at 55C (here I used it just to get an idea). The next step, I supposed, would be bumping the CPU voltage up from the default 1.350V and see if this minor stability issue would go away. While I'd like to see a 20% OC, I think a 10-12% OC is more realistic with air cooling* given how well my AMD Dragon system heats the air where it's located.
As I have mentioned several times previously, I will continue to keep this updated as I change things with my system. It may be a couple of weeks at a time as I experiment to see the stability before I post. If anybody has good ideas or suggestions on setpoints with this particular configuration (ASUS M4A79T Deluxe, AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition, and Mushkin PC3-12800 (996601)) please leave a post or PM and let me know. It may take a couple of days to respond, but I'll at least PM you and let you know that I read your post, then I'll post the results later.
*Just so that you all know, air cooling/circulation is currently provided by the stock Cooler Master fans (intake) that came with the CoolerMaster RC-690-KKN1-GP tower (1 120x120x25mm TLF-S12-EB & 2 120x120x25mm R4-S2S-12AK-GP), 2 SilenX 120x120x38mm IXP-76-18 (exhaust), 1 SilenX 80x80x15mm IXP-52-11 (intake blowing the back of the motherboard), and the stock Xigmatek 120x120x25mm CPU PWM fan.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2195 Active Users (357 Members and 1838 Guests)
- › [Official] Delidded Club / Guide 2 seconds ago
- › [Official] Vega Frontier / RX Vega Owners Thread 43 seconds ago
- › External HD failure - "Needs to be formatted" 2 minutes ago
- › [WCCF] AMD Announces 2nd Gen Ryzen & Vega Coming Next Year On 12nm 2 minutes ago
- › The Royal Navy: Rising from the Depths 7 minutes ago
- › [WCCF] AMD Preparing To Launch 13 Vega-11 Based Graphics Cards, GPU... 8 minutes ago
- › AMD Ryzen Threadripper Owners Club - 1950X | 1920X | 1900X 9 minutes ago
- › [WCCFTECH] NVIDIA Graphics Card Prices To Continue To Rise Until... 10 minutes ago
- › [Mozilla Blog] Firefox Quantum Beta announced 12 minutes ago
- › [Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club 12 minutes ago
- › Orico Dual Bay HDD Enclosure by geggeg
- › Phanteks PH-F140MP_BBK_PWM 140mm fan by AlphaC
- › Seasonic Flagship PRIME SERIES SSR-1200PD 1200W PLATINUM FULL... by mllrkllr88
- › Corsair Obsidian 750D Computer Case With Side Panel Window by The_Rocker
- › Asus Xonar Essence STX 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card by The_Rocker
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by The_Rocker
- › Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W... by foofer1233
- › Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 1 LGA 2011 Processor - BX80619I73930K by powerhouse
- › HDPLEX H5 Fanless Computer Chassis by michelme67
- › Nuance Power PDF Standard by Lady Fitzgerald
- › Hands-On: TCL 55″ P-Series 4K HDR TV is...
- › (OPINION) AMD shot themselves in the foot by...
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...