My main system (which has now taken a backseat for a while) is solid, but I've always had an interest in trying an AMD desktop CPU. As such, I decided to venture forth and build an AMD-only (AMD/ATI) rig that would both sate my build-lust and my curiosity of AMD.
I wanted to keep the price reasonable, but still offer a good amount of performance. I may end up selling my stronger PC and using this one until late fall when I plan to upgrade to P55 and DX11.
I ended up settling on these parts:
AMD Phenom II X2 550
MSI HD4830 (samsung memory and 4+1 phase)
4GB DDR2-1066 OCZ Platinum
Biostar TA790GX 128mb
Antec Earthwatts 380w (already had)
Samsung 22x SATA DVDRW (already had)
Lian Li Lancool K12
Win 7 64 (was going to use Vista, but said what the heck, love it on my notebook)
Scythe Katana 3 HSF
The main reason I went for the PII X2 550 was on the premise of its overclockability and its potential for unlocking. I was hopeful that I would be able to unlock the cores, but did not count on it.
Luckily, I have had zero issues running unlocked AND overclocked. Right now I'm sitting at 3.5Ghz Quad @ 1.28v, with more tweaking to come. It has yet to fail a prime test and gaming has been great. I'm getting very respectable framerates at 1920x1200.
3dmark06 (stock GPU) came in at 12231, which handily exceeded what I had hoped for. I will update the blog as I climb higher (and once I figure out a way to OC this 4830... boo MSI) with benchies and screenshots.
Feel free to ask me any questions about my experience.
CPU/HSF/RAM mounted in mobo on motherboard tray
Everything set up except graphics card
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2142 Active Users (359 Members and 1783 Guests)
- › Choosing fans for the case front panel... 11 seconds ago
- › ASUS Rampage VI Apex (x299) Owners 1 minute ago
- › Running GPU fans from MB fan header 1 minute ago
- › Skylake-X/Kaby Lake-X Combined Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Why not more 5k monitors? 2 minutes ago
- › September 2017 Foldathon: Monday 18th - Wednesday 20th - 1200... 2 minutes ago
- › Disgusting service from iiyama 3 minutes ago
- › The worst Intel Core i5-7600K? I got it! 4 minutes ago
- › [Official] Overwatch Information and Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › AMD Ryzen Threadripper Owners Club - 1950X | 1920X | 1900X 8 minutes ago
- › Corsair Obsidian 750D Computer Case With Side Panel Window by The_Rocker
- › Asus Xonar Essence STX 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card by The_Rocker
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by The_Rocker
- › Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W... by foofer1233
- › Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 1 LGA 2011 Processor - BX80619I73930K by powerhouse
- › HDPLEX H5 Fanless Computer Chassis by michelme67
- › Nuance Power PDF Standard by Lady Fitzgerald
- › ID-COOLING SE214L Snow Edition CPU Heatsink by DaveLT
- › Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)... by ADmodz
- › Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 (Dark Silver) (920-003366) by enes13mes
- › Hands-On: TCL 55″ P-Series 4K HDR TV is...
- › (OPINION) AMD shot themselves in the foot by...
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...