At my job, I've acquired a bit of a reputation for being a tech-head. I built a machine for a co-worker's son last year, and they were quite pleased with it. Apparently, because of this, word spread that I know a little bit about PCs and how they're put together and how they work.
So imagine the (good-natured) ribbing I took when, whilst working on some proprietary purchasing software, I lost a huge (90+ line item) purchase order and had to redo everything.
(Doing the job originally took the better part of two hours; redoing it, another near-two hours.)
"Joe, I thought you were a computer wiz!"
"Joe, why didn't you back up as you were going along?"
"Joe, you numbskull!"
Okay, I said I was a numbskull.
I guess here's my point: Backups are your best friend! Seems a rather obvious point, I guess, but sometimes even someone who has acquired a reputation for being tech-savvy forgets the basics and lets his/her guard down.
Experience ought to eliminate a tendency for arrogance, I guess. But life has a funny way of humbling you, even if you may not want to be. Just take your medicine, and be better for it.
So, like SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) for most law enforcement agencies: Call for back up! Your life depends on it!
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2431 Active Users (387 Members and 2044 Guests)
- › Steelseries DeX Mousepad? 22 seconds ago
- › [Guru3d] AMD enables RX Vega mGPU support with Radeon Software 17.9.2 48 seconds ago
- › EVGA 850w G2 PSU issues...possibly dying! 1 minute ago
- › AMD Ryzen Threadripper Owners Club - 1950X | 1920X | 1900X 2 minutes ago
- › The [Official] Noctua Club 2 minutes ago
- › *Official* Intel DDR4 24/7 Memory Stability Thread 4 minutes ago
- › ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 ThreadRipper Overclocking / Support 5 minutes ago
- › [Sponsored] ------- "TEARS IN RAIN" ------- (Blade Runner Inspired... 8 minutes ago
- › Skylake-X/Kaby Lake-X Combined Discussion 8 minutes ago
- › OCN Aquaero Owners Club 9 minutes ago
- › Seasonic Flagship PRIME SERIES SSR-1200PD 1200W PLATINUM FULL... by mllrkllr88
- › Corsair Obsidian 750D Computer Case With Side Panel Window by The_Rocker
- › Asus Xonar Essence STX 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card by The_Rocker
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by The_Rocker
- › Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W... by foofer1233
- › Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 1 LGA 2011 Processor - BX80619I73930K by powerhouse
- › HDPLEX H5 Fanless Computer Chassis by michelme67
- › Nuance Power PDF Standard by Lady Fitzgerald
- › ID-COOLING SE214L Snow Edition CPU Heatsink by DaveLT
- › Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)... by ADmodz
- › Hands-On: TCL 55″ P-Series 4K HDR TV is...
- › (OPINION) AMD shot themselves in the foot by...
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...