I've recently bought an Antec Three Hundred chassis to upgrade my nearly a decade old INTER-TECH 2011. I decided to do a small test and see if a modern case actually makes a noticeable difference in cooling. Everyone buys "gaming cases" these days and even install additional fans to boot, but will it actually make a difference for a humble system like mine? For example, I added a rear exhaust fan to my PC, but it didn't result in any noticeable temperature decrease. But of course, my old case doesn't even have intake fans, so perhaps it doesn't create good airflow.
The tests are simple. I run Prime95 with 4 threads for 15 minutes and check the max temp in HW Monitor. Then I run Prime95 + FurMark (for 100% GPU load in addition to CPU) to generate more heat, and check the max temp again. Then I move everything to the new case, and re-test.
My PC is a Phenom II X4 @ 3.6 GHz, CM Hyper 212+ cooler, 4 gigs DDR2 RAM, Radeon 3870, 2 x HDDs.
# Inter-Tech 2011 - PSU on the top, one 92 mm rear fan:
15 min Prime95: CPU 53 C°, GPU 32 C°
15 min Prime95 + FurMark: CPU 57 C°, GPU 66 C°
# Antec Three Hundred - PSU on the bottom, one 140 mm top and 120 mm rear fans (included, set on Low), one 120 mm front fan (cheap "Nexus 120mm Real Silent" that I added myself):
15 min Prime95: CPU 48 C°, GPU 25 C°
15 min Prime95 + FurMark: CPU 50 C°, GPU 51 C°
In the second case, the CPU fan didn't even reach max RPM (I use Asus Q-Fan to reduce noise during low CPU load). My HDD temperatures also dropped by an impressive 10 degrees - not that they were ever a problem even in the previous enclosure. All I can say is...
Conclusion: even buying one of the cheap gaming cases like Antec 300 can actually make a noticeable difference in your system temperatures. I expect it's a lot more important when you have hot setups like multiple graphics cards and such.
Next I plan to upgrade my graphics card to either Radeon 6850 or Nvidia 560. Yes, my 3870 is quite outdated, but it's more than enough for Counter Strike: Source and Bloodline Champions which I currently play. The only reason I'm upgrading is that I want to play some upcoming games (ME3, Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2) with sexy graphics.
Related Forum Threads
- Positive Air Pressure - What you need to know to keep your PC clean and happy! Last post on 3/25/12 at 5:08am in Air Cooling
- XoticPC.com, Sager NP9170, playing games and system just shuts off! Last post on 4/15/13 at 12:39pm in Laptops and Netbooks
- Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme in Corsair 500R? Last post on 12/13/12 at 1:21pm in Air Cooling
- Need your Advice Last post on 6/17/12 at 12:45am in Computer Cases
- Bitfenix Shinobi WC support? Last post on 6/17/12 at 2:06am in Computer Cases
Currently, there are 2890 Active Users (471 Members and 2419 Guests)
- › [reddit]R7 1700X Benchmarks! 2 minutes ago
- › [VideoCardz] AMD Ryzen Motherboard update 2 minutes ago
- › AGON AG352UCG - 35 inch 1440p 100hz VA G-sync ultrawide 2 minutes ago
- › [Videocardz] How fast is Ryzen? 2 minutes ago
- › [OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club 3 minutes ago
- › Looking for software that can EQ my microphone in real-time 3 minutes ago
- › [Official] Radeon RX480/470/460 Owners Club 4 minutes ago
- › [Forum Folding War 2017] The Lanyards 5 minutes ago
- › Kaby Lake Overclocking Guide [With Statistics] 5 minutes ago
- › Is there a good browser alternative to both Firefox and Chrome? 6 minutes ago
- › Dungeon Siege III by michaeltibbsjr
- › Sapphire RX 460 2GB Single Fan D5 OC by sepiashimmer
- › NZXT Technologies Kraken X41 140mm All-In-One Liquid Cooling System... by maverickvii
- › JH Audio JH3X Pro by Chipp
- › Cryorig R1 Ultimate CR-R1A Dual Tower CPU Heatsink with 2xXF140 fans by AyyMD
- › Thermaltake PS-SPR-0850FPCBUS-R Smart Pro RGB 850W Zero Fan 80 PLUS... by Jedson3614
- › In Win 509 ROG Gaming eATX by khaosgamer
- › NZXT S340 Mid Tower Cases CA-S340W-B1 Glossy Black by AyyMD
- › ViewSonic VX2757-MHD 27-inch 1080p Gaming Monitor with 2ms, VGA,... by Stronghold
- › HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL 8-Port PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SAS/SATA... by NoelC
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency
- › Multi Tasking on Intel Haswell CPU's
- › Intel Hyper Threading - Performance Scaling...
- › Intel Core i3 vs Core i5 vs Core i7: Gaming...