I've recently bought an Antec Three Hundred chassis to upgrade my nearly a decade old INTER-TECH 2011. I decided to do a small test and see if a modern case actually makes a noticeable difference in cooling. Everyone buys "gaming cases" these days and even install additional fans to boot, but will it actually make a difference for a humble system like mine? For example, I added a rear exhaust fan to my PC, but it didn't result in any noticeable temperature decrease. But of course, my old case doesn't even have intake fans, so perhaps it doesn't create good airflow.
The tests are simple. I run Prime95 with 4 threads for 15 minutes and check the max temp in HW Monitor. Then I run Prime95 + FurMark (for 100% GPU load in addition to CPU) to generate more heat, and check the max temp again. Then I move everything to the new case, and re-test.
My PC is a Phenom II X4 @ 3.6 GHz, CM Hyper 212+ cooler, 4 gigs DDR2 RAM, Radeon 3870, 2 x HDDs.
# Inter-Tech 2011 - PSU on the top, one 92 mm rear fan:
15 min Prime95: CPU 53 C°, GPU 32 C°
15 min Prime95 + FurMark: CPU 57 C°, GPU 66 C°
# Antec Three Hundred - PSU on the bottom, one 140 mm top and 120 mm rear fans (included, set on Low), one 120 mm front fan (cheap "Nexus 120mm Real Silent" that I added myself):
15 min Prime95: CPU 48 C°, GPU 25 C°
15 min Prime95 + FurMark: CPU 50 C°, GPU 51 C°
In the second case, the CPU fan didn't even reach max RPM (I use Asus Q-Fan to reduce noise during low CPU load). My HDD temperatures also dropped by an impressive 10 degrees - not that they were ever a problem even in the previous enclosure. All I can say is...
Conclusion: even buying one of the cheap gaming cases like Antec 300 can actually make a noticeable difference in your system temperatures. I expect it's a lot more important when you have hot setups like multiple graphics cards and such.
Next I plan to upgrade my graphics card to either Radeon 6850 or Nvidia 560. Yes, my 3870 is quite outdated, but it's more than enough for Counter Strike: Source and Bloodline Champions which I currently play. The only reason I'm upgrading is that I want to play some upcoming games (ME3, Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2) with sexy graphics.
Related Forum Threads
- Positive Air Pressure - What you need to know to keep your PC clean and happy! Last post on 3/25/12 at 5:08am in Air Cooling
- XoticPC.com, Sager NP9170, playing games and system just shuts off! Last post on 4/15/13 at 12:39pm in Laptops and Netbooks
- Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme in Corsair 500R? Last post on 12/13/12 at 1:21pm in Air Cooling
- Need your Advice Last post on 6/17/12 at 12:45am in Computer Cases
- Bitfenix Shinobi WC support? Last post on 6/17/12 at 2:06am in Computer Cases
Currently, there are 2642 Active Users (471 Members and 2171 Guests)
- › [phys.org] Semi-transparent perovskite solar cells for solar windows 9 seconds ago
- › Jonsbo / Cooltek Case Gallery and Owners Club 2 minutes ago
- › 8 Year old PSU? 3 minutes ago
- › [Fudzilla] Vega HBM 2 8GB memory stack costs $160 3 minutes ago
- › Swiftech AM4 expandable AIO kit? 3 minutes ago
- › High 760K Temps Using H100I GTX 3 minutes ago
- › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club 4 minutes ago
- › [Official] Overwatch Information and Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming Pro 6 minutes ago
- › [OFFICIAL] PLAYERUNKNOWN's Battlegrounds Information & Discussion... 7 minutes ago
- › LIVA UHD Intel Latest 2.4Ghz Apollo Lake Dual LAN WIFI BT Palm... by Duality92
- › ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP Edition 11GB GDDR5X 352-bit PCIe 3.0... by bluedevil
- › PHANTEKS PH-TC14PE_RD 5 x ?8mm Dual Heat-Pipes, Dual 140mm Premium... by dirtyred
- › Kasda Networks KA1900 Dual Band Wireless Router by AyyMD
- › Thermaltake Contac Silent 12 by Chaosrender
- › Pixxo ML-G235U Black Wired Laser Mouse by nickCrowe
- › ARCTIC Freezer i32 - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan for Intel with... by XaRGR
- › Logitech G9x Black Wired Laser Gaming Mouse by ramonamiller
- › AMD YD1700BBAEBOX Ryzen 7 1700 Processor with Wraith Spire LED Cooler by Hefny
- › Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7 AM4 AMD X370 RGB FUSION SMART FAN 5... by ThaWatcher
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency