Monday I bought a small desktop fan to circulate air out from beneath my desk to help keep temperatures lower when I'm gaming, it seems to give me a couple of degrees Celsius so that idea looks like it worked.
I reapplied the version 1202 BIOS to my M4A79T Deluxe yesterday figuring I'd try some tweaking to get past the BSOD that keeps popping up during the Vista boot screen. I bumped both the CPU and CPU/NB voltages up by 0.1V to 1.400V and 1.200V respectively and that seems to have solved the problem . Later I intend to go back and reduce these to the minimum need since I think only one may be needed. I came up with the 1.4V and 1.2V by reading on Overclocking.net forums about other people OCing their 955BE cpu and found only one person with a similar air cooler (they have the Xigmatek Dark Knight, I have just the S1283) the same motherboard (didn't list their BIOS rev. but after the 1202 update) with a 18.0x multiplier, 1.4V CPU, 1.3V CPU/NB, and 2000MHz NB clock. I figured if they could get 3600 stable like that, what would happen if I tried something similar and worked my way up there. I haven't tested for stability as of yet, but my latency (according to Everest) for the RAM at 6-6-6-18 CR2 is 46.7ns (WOOT ), that's a reduction of 3.1ns from previously . And according to the chart given, a full 12.6ns faster than a Core i7 Extreme 965 on a Asus P6T Deluxe x58 platform with Triple DDR3-1333 (@ 9-9-9-24 CR1).
At that time, I would say that I am happy with the results. Idle is holding at ~41C or 14C above ambient.
EDIT: *sigh* Well the issues with the 1202 BIOS came back as a BSOD paging fault in a nonpaged area and are worse than before. I spent the 3 hours trying various settings before becoming frustrated enough to downgrade my BIOS back to 1103 again. I am aware that this BSOD usually is a RAM issue (ie bad), but the only way I could get my system stable was to set everything at it's default settings . I'm beginning to think I may have either a bad motherboard or cpu, either is possible at this point since I'm running stable with the 1103 BIOS and not with the 1202. Very annoying and no fun when trying to overclock.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2237 Active Users (337 Members and 1900 Guests)
- › [Official] RYZEN 5 1600X | 1600 | 1500X | 1400 Owners Club 12 seconds ago
- › Waring about Corsair Hx750i PSU --> PSU fried my MB or CPU and need... 1 minute ago
- › OCN Water Cooling Club And Picture Gallery 1 minute ago
- › Did my new PSU mess up my MB or processor? and WARNING - Do not buy... 3 minutes ago
- › [OFFICIAL] PLAYERUNKNOWN's Battlegrounds Information & Discussion... 4 minutes ago
- › CPU cooling in 2017: AIO vs Air cooling? 5 minutes ago
- › [Official] Fractal Design Case Club 5 minutes ago
- › ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 ThreadRipper Overclocking / Support 6 minutes ago
- › Skylake-X/Kaby Lake-X Combined Discussion 6 minutes ago
- › [Build Log] Project Frost - Case-Labs THW10 | X99 Watercooled | i7... 6 minutes ago
- › Intel Broadwell Core i7-5775C 3.3 4 NA BX80658i75775C by TwilightRavens
- › Cougar Revenger S by vanir1337
- › Intel Core i7-4770K LGA1150 by gonX
- › Toshiba P300 3TB by TwoCables
- › AIM SC808 by Morti
- › Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming by vMax65
- › INTEL Core i5-8600K by vMax65
- › Ninox Venator - Black by vanir1337
- › Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-650FX 650W 80+ Gold ATX12V &... by AlphaC
- › Tt eSPORTS Ventus R by vanir1337
- › Hands-On: TCL 55″ P-Series 4K HDR TV is...
- › (OPINION) AMD shot themselves in the foot by...
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...