If there is one thing on the tech scene that pisses me off, it's those silly proprietary format wars that keep raging on for everything. It's seems that companies don't get together to talk about how to solve problems and make formats standard, but rather how to make them as different and incompatible as possible in order to give the end user a bigger headache.
Everybody can recall at least one of the famous format wars that have been going on in the past decades: PPC vs x86, USB vs Firewire, Minidisk (remember that? lol) vs flash, and the ongoing and probably never ending MMC vs SD vs MSPro Duo vs XD. With all that the past has carried concerning formats, is it even surprising that there is a all-out war on the potentially very lucrative successor to DVD? Sure not, but it's still a pain in the ass.
What really bugs me about it though is that this time, Sony's got the big part of the stick. I really don't know why, but it seems like because it's Sony, I'm thinking that they will use their control over the standard to control the planet or something. It seems like Sony is always trying to control every single standard out there but never actually gets a hold on one, like a violent husband that never really got around to actually hitting. Probably just a weird impression on my part.
The tech specs are also something that don't necessarily get my approval. It seems that Sony always are trying to break the limits with what concerns technology in fabrication. Sure, the Blu-Ray is appealing for it's larger capacity, but the costs associated with it isn't exactly sexy, since consumers want HD media NOW, to go with their fancy TVs. I'm no laser expert, but the 0.1 mm protective coating sounds like a little bit fragile... not something that would survive in a BlockBuster environment too long.
Seriously, I'm a bit disappointed of HD-DVD. It look good and strong when it first was announced, but I think that lack of effort on the commercialization part kind of killed the cat for Toshiba. Proof that hanging out with the big guys (Microsoft, HP, Intel) doesn't always mean that you win.
Blame it on the PS3? Sony's very wide network of film and tech industry leaders? Better advertisement? Either way, the cards are now on the table, and Sony wins it all. Comforting victory that compensates for the BETA cassette?
Read, Engadget article on Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD.
Currently, there are 2313 Active Users (330 Members and 1983 Guests)
- › AMD Ryzen Motherboard Thread 1 second ago
- › DP Monitor issues on Dell P2715Q 25 seconds ago
- › [GURU3D] Nvidia might Release GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 1 minute ago
- › IN WIN "Frames" Thread 1 minute ago
- › Silverstone Sugo SG13 Mini-ITX Owners Club 2 minutes ago
- › [WCCF] AMD Announces 2nd Gen Ryzen & Vega Coming Next Year On 12nm 2 minutes ago
- › [VideoCardz] Intel preps dual-core i3-7360X for X299, but why? 3 minutes ago
- › [Various] 6C Coffee Lake Lineup: i7-8700K & i5-8600K / CPU-Z +... 6 minutes ago
- › Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7 Discussion 6 minutes ago
- › My experience with the Asus PRIME X370-Pro 8 minutes ago
- › Phanteks PH-F140MP_BBK_PWM 140mm fan by AlphaC
- › Seasonic Flagship PRIME SERIES SSR-1200PD 1200W PLATINUM FULL... by mllrkllr88
- › Corsair Obsidian 750D Computer Case With Side Panel Window by The_Rocker
- › Asus Xonar Essence STX 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card by The_Rocker
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by The_Rocker
- › Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W... by foofer1233
- › Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 1 LGA 2011 Processor - BX80619I73930K by powerhouse
- › HDPLEX H5 Fanless Computer Chassis by michelme67
- › Nuance Power PDF Standard by Lady Fitzgerald
- › ID-COOLING SE214L Snow Edition CPU Heatsink by DaveLT
- › Hands-On: TCL 55″ P-Series 4K HDR TV is...
- › (OPINION) AMD shot themselves in the foot by...
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...