So today in chemistry, we were going over these questions, and we come to something about diamonds.
My teacher, used to live in south africa. He is totally an awesome bro, and he knows a lot more about stuff than you think he would.
Anyways, he starts going into this rant about how diamonds were discovered in South Africa. He goes through pretty much the whole history of diamond mining and production. Eventually, he gets to the part about DeBeers, and their role in the diamond market.
As you may or may not know, DeBeers owns virtually ALL diamonds, and diamond trade. They have what nations like the United states would consider a "Total Monopoly". They control the price, the trade, pretty much everything.
So anyways, he explains the above to the class, and like most ignorant 16/17/18 year olds, everyone is just like "lolwut". So he continues his rant, and goes into how DeBeers popularized the diamond engagement ring.
He likened it to how companies pretty much created fathers day just for more money. He continues on, and is all like:
"So boys, you don't NEEEEEED to buy diamond engagements rings. It is all a marketing ploy"
At this point, pretty much all the girls in the class are like begging him to stop. Literally begging, like they would rather learn and do work, than listen to an interesting rant. (rare)
I kinda just laughed since i already knew most of this since i like Geology and have a pretty nice rock collection myself.
Moral of the story: Teenage girls are extremely susceptible to media, and are materialistic as ever, and my Chem teacher is a total boss for making half a class almost break down in tears.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2875 Active Users (568 Members and 2307 Guests)
- › Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex Gaming Mouse 57 seconds ago
- › Need help with choosing new PC. 1 minute ago
- › [Jet]Visiontek R9 390 8GB 230usd After Code 1 minute ago
- › Intel 1156 Xeon 3440 2 minutes ago
- › Overclocking help... 3 minutes ago
- › A New Face for Overclock.net 3 minutes ago
- › [Various] Intel i7-5775C / i5-5675C Broadwell reviews 3 minutes ago
- › Anyone else excited for the Dell S2716DG Monitor? 3 minutes ago
- › [computerbase.de]Just Cause 3 benchmarks: CPU limit at AMD and less... 3 minutes ago
- › [Various] ASUS debuts ROG SWIFT PG279Q 144hz IPS and G-SYNC 4 minutes ago
- › Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p Laptop Computer - 59405673 - Dusk Black - 4th... by Liquored
- › ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! 6GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express... by NoodleGTS
- › EGDE 101 by Maximillion
- › MSI Computer ATX DDR4 Motherboard Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION by topdog
- › Cooler Master: Silencio FP 120 PWM by DaveLT
- › Gigabyte GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD -GTX970 4GB DDR5 256Bit PCI Express... by amd-dude
- › Crucial MX100 256GB SATA 2.5" SSD by amd-dude
- › G303 Daedalus Apex by Frenchy
- › Bluetooth Headphones COULAX V4.1 Magneto by 8bitG33k
- › Thermaltake Core V51 Computer Case CA-1C6-00M1WN-00 Black by skypine27
- › good essays : Syscooling BC1 antminer water...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency
- › Multi Tasking on Intel Haswell CPU's
- › Intel Hyper Threading - Performance Scaling...
- › Intel Core i3 vs Core i5 vs Core i7: Gaming...
- › The Witcher 3 v1.08 - Performance Test
- › Overclock Labs - Community Review Program...
- › P5K-VM chassis intrusion hardware fix
- › overcloking gtx 770 lightning