So today in chemistry, we were going over these questions, and we come to something about diamonds.
My teacher, used to live in south africa. He is totally an awesome bro, and he knows a lot more about stuff than you think he would.
Anyways, he starts going into this rant about how diamonds were discovered in South Africa. He goes through pretty much the whole history of diamond mining and production. Eventually, he gets to the part about DeBeers, and their role in the diamond market.
As you may or may not know, DeBeers owns virtually ALL diamonds, and diamond trade. They have what nations like the United states would consider a "Total Monopoly". They control the price, the trade, pretty much everything.
So anyways, he explains the above to the class, and like most ignorant 16/17/18 year olds, everyone is just like "lolwut". So he continues his rant, and goes into how DeBeers popularized the diamond engagement ring.
He likened it to how companies pretty much created fathers day just for more money. He continues on, and is all like:
"So boys, you don't NEEEEEED to buy diamond engagements rings. It is all a marketing ploy"
At this point, pretty much all the girls in the class are like begging him to stop. Literally begging, like they would rather learn and do work, than listen to an interesting rant. (rare)
I kinda just laughed since i already knew most of this since i like Geology and have a pretty nice rock collection myself.
Moral of the story: Teenage girls are extremely susceptible to media, and are materialistic as ever, and my Chem teacher is a total boss for making half a class almost break down in tears.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 3166 Active Users (583 Members and 2583 Guests)
- › [Various] Computex 2016 [Pic/Video Heavy] 14 seconds ago
- › [VC]Official and final Broadwell-E lineup with price and everything... 31 seconds ago
- › Something Small (and Wicked) This Way Comes... 39 seconds ago
- › DOOM (STEAM) Timed Giveaway (With DLC Code As Well) 1 minute ago
- › Nvidia GTX 900 cards custom bios (upon request ) 2 minutes ago
- › [VideoCardz] AMD Radeon R9 480 3DMark11 benchmarks 2 minutes ago
- › ZEN - Hyper Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Undervolting 8350FX without losing performance 3 minutes ago
- › Bill Owen & MNPCTECH.com - A class act all the way! 3 minutes ago
- › [Official] nVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X Owners Club 3 minutes ago
- › GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI ATX Intel Motherboard by SkipP
- › Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Performance Liquid CPU Cooler... by SkipP
- › Noctua NF-P14s redux 1500 PWM 140mm 1500 RPM 25.8 dBA 4-pin SSO by SkipP
- › Acer Predator X34 by Jedson3614
- › Gigabyte Technology Z170N-WIFI by Jedson3614
- › HyperX FURY SSD by Jedson3614
- › Waves. by TheCautiousOne
- › Intel Q9650 LGA 775 by cat1092
- › Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz LGA1155 by jkuddyh801
- › Netgear Inc. Nighthawk X8 by Jedson3614
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency
- › Multi Tasking on Intel Haswell CPU's
- › Intel Hyper Threading - Performance Scaling...
- › Intel Core i3 vs Core i5 vs Core i7: Gaming...
- › The Witcher 3 v1.08 - Performance Test
- › Overclock Labs - Community Review Program...