So today in chemistry, we were going over these questions, and we come to something about diamonds.
My teacher, used to live in south africa. He is totally an awesome bro, and he knows a lot more about stuff than you think he would.
Anyways, he starts going into this rant about how diamonds were discovered in South Africa. He goes through pretty much the whole history of diamond mining and production. Eventually, he gets to the part about DeBeers, and their role in the diamond market.
As you may or may not know, DeBeers owns virtually ALL diamonds, and diamond trade. They have what nations like the United states would consider a "Total Monopoly". They control the price, the trade, pretty much everything.
So anyways, he explains the above to the class, and like most ignorant 16/17/18 year olds, everyone is just like "lolwut". So he continues his rant, and goes into how DeBeers popularized the diamond engagement ring.
He likened it to how companies pretty much created fathers day just for more money. He continues on, and is all like:
"So boys, you don't NEEEEEED to buy diamond engagements rings. It is all a marketing ploy"
At this point, pretty much all the girls in the class are like begging him to stop. Literally begging, like they would rather learn and do work, than listen to an interesting rant. (rare)
I kinda just laughed since i already knew most of this since i like Geology and have a pretty nice rock collection myself.
Moral of the story: Teenage girls are extremely susceptible to media, and are materialistic as ever, and my Chem teacher is a total boss for making half a class almost break down in tears.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 3423 Active Users (677 Members and 2746 Guests)
- › [FW] AIDA64 Extreme v5.30.3500 released 50 seconds ago
- › OCN Water Cooling Club And Picture Gallery 58 seconds ago
- › [AA] OnePlus 2 Officially Announced 2 minutes ago
- › [DESK BUILD LOG] Custom Built-in Watercooled PC Desk 2 minutes ago
- › Is 2500k still viable? 2 minutes ago
- › [Build Log] Project: Gray Son (SMA8) 2 minutes ago
- › [Official] The Witcher 3 Information & Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Help recoup $800 investment by identifing thread size on Zotac... 5 minutes ago
- › [PG] Doom Feels Like "Bruce Lee With A Shotgun On A Skateboard,"... 5 minutes ago
- › [GameRanx] Star Citizen Refunds Derek Smart's money over Criticism 5 minutes ago
- › Sapphire Radeon VAPOR-X R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/DP with... by WorldOfMine
- › Rosewill ATX Mid Tower Black Gaming Computer Case Galaxy-01 by WorldOfMine
- › Intel Core i3-4370 3.8GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor by WorldOfMine
- › Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop by Nfsdude0125
- › Alienware 15 ANW15-5350SLV 15.6" i7-4710HQ 16GB 128GB SSD +... by bluehawaiiASTR
- › PlayStation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller by sbcontt
- › Hayate Otsu Soft L Japan Violet | Samurai Gaming Mouse Pad (Made in... by Arizonian
- › SteelSeries Apex M800 Customizable Mechanical Gaming Keyboard by WilliamGayde
- › HIEN SOFT L Japan black | SAMURAI gaming mouse pad (Made in Japan) by Arizonian
- › Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power... by thesuperegoist
- › BenQ FP241W not working with certain games.
- › New User -Opinions/Information Needed
- › Grand Theft Auto V build 393.2 - Performance...
- › The Witcher 3 v1.06 - Performance Test
- › How To - Fix Intel CPU + Geforce GTX SLI -...
- › The GTX 780 TI SLI - End of Life -...
- › I need some help with Overclock
- › How to raid 0 on 2 x SSD or 2 x HDD as...
- › Overclocking Ram - Crucial Ballistix Sport...
- › The Big VR Face-Off