So today in chemistry, we were going over these questions, and we come to something about diamonds.
My teacher, used to live in south africa. He is totally an awesome bro, and he knows a lot more about stuff than you think he would.
Anyways, he starts going into this rant about how diamonds were discovered in South Africa. He goes through pretty much the whole history of diamond mining and production. Eventually, he gets to the part about DeBeers, and their role in the diamond market.
As you may or may not know, DeBeers owns virtually ALL diamonds, and diamond trade. They have what nations like the United states would consider a "Total Monopoly". They control the price, the trade, pretty much everything.
So anyways, he explains the above to the class, and like most ignorant 16/17/18 year olds, everyone is just like "lolwut". So he continues his rant, and goes into how DeBeers popularized the diamond engagement ring.
He likened it to how companies pretty much created fathers day just for more money. He continues on, and is all like:
"So boys, you don't NEEEEEED to buy diamond engagements rings. It is all a marketing ploy"
At this point, pretty much all the girls in the class are like begging him to stop. Literally begging, like they would rather learn and do work, than listen to an interesting rant. (rare)
I kinda just laughed since i already knew most of this since i like Geology and have a pretty nice rock collection myself.
Moral of the story: Teenage girls are extremely susceptible to media, and are materialistic as ever, and my Chem teacher is a total boss for making half a class almost break down in tears.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2702 Active Users (571 Members and 2131 Guests)
- › Chiller build 2.0 37 seconds ago
- › Benefits of going Intel Core i5-4690K currently have AMD Fx 8350 1 minute ago
- › [Newegg] GIGABYTE GA-H81M-DS2V + Pentium G3258 $86.99 2 minutes ago
- › GTX 970 or Titan black 2 minutes ago
- › NVIDIA GTX 750Ti / 750 (Maxwell) Owner's club 2 minutes ago
- › [Videocardz] Is/Will g-sync module be unneeded? 3 minutes ago
- › help a noob with mechanical keyboard selection 3 minutes ago
- › Swiftech H220/H320/H220X/H240X/H140X and CM Glacer 240L/360L... 4 minutes ago
- › [Case Mod]••Reaper N1's (Dark Side)••Custom-3D printed parts 5 minutes ago
- › [Build Log] - Little Mac - 4.2L Gaming HTPC 5 minutes ago
- › GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX Intel Motherboard by Dan-H
- › ASRock X99M Extreme4 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard by Richard Eckert
- › Intel Pentium G2030 / 3 GHz processor by Kosenator
- › XSPC Raystorm CPU Block for Intel Socket LGA 775, 1156, 1155, 1366,... by ffhammack
- › XSPC D5 reservoir by ffhammack
- › XSPC EX240 by ffhammack
- › FinalMouse 2015 by kaptchka
- › EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Classified Video Card by vargus14
- › Xfx Radeon HD 4870x2 by cvin
- › VisionTek USB Pocket SSD 120GB by WilliamGayde
- › The Minecraft Server "Ok" Minimum
- › nVidia/AMD Graphics Cards BSOD 116/1033 Fix |...
- › To built a 4k monitor gaming rig - what type...
- › What Could Have Been - The PlayStation 4 APU
- › How to Get Linux Ubuntu Working with a GTX970...
- › The 2014 Year In Tech
- › Editors Pick Deals - Black Friday 2014
- › How to Solder Electronics
- › Broken CM Storm Xornet scroll wheel
- › A Troubling Trend