So today in chemistry, we were going over these questions, and we come to something about diamonds.
My teacher, used to live in south africa. He is totally an awesome bro, and he knows a lot more about stuff than you think he would.
Anyways, he starts going into this rant about how diamonds were discovered in South Africa. He goes through pretty much the whole history of diamond mining and production. Eventually, he gets to the part about DeBeers, and their role in the diamond market.
As you may or may not know, DeBeers owns virtually ALL diamonds, and diamond trade. They have what nations like the United states would consider a "Total Monopoly". They control the price, the trade, pretty much everything.
So anyways, he explains the above to the class, and like most ignorant 16/17/18 year olds, everyone is just like "lolwut". So he continues his rant, and goes into how DeBeers popularized the diamond engagement ring.
He likened it to how companies pretty much created fathers day just for more money. He continues on, and is all like:
"So boys, you don't NEEEEEED to buy diamond engagements rings. It is all a marketing ploy"
At this point, pretty much all the girls in the class are like begging him to stop. Literally begging, like they would rather learn and do work, than listen to an interesting rant. (rare)
I kinda just laughed since i already knew most of this since i like Geology and have a pretty nice rock collection myself.
Moral of the story: Teenage girls are extremely susceptible to media, and are materialistic as ever, and my Chem teacher is a total boss for making half a class almost break down in tears.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2540 Active Users (451 Members and 2089 Guests)
- › [OFFICIAL] PLAYERUNKNOWN's Battlegrounds Information & Discussion... 36 seconds ago
- › ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread 51 seconds ago
- › [Bios Mod] Asus Prime X370-Pro 1 minute ago
- › [PCGamesN] AMD is targeting GTX 1080 performance for their first... 1 minute ago
- › [Official] RYZEN 7 1800X | 1700X |1700 Owners Club & 4GHz+ Club 1 minute ago
- › NVidia Maxwell/Kepler BIOS editing thread. GTX 2XX to 9XX now... 4 minutes ago
- › Skylake-X/Kaby Lake-X Combined Discussion 5 minutes ago
- › [Official] NVIDIA Titan Xp Owners' Club 5 minutes ago
- › ASUS MG279Q 1440 IPS 144 Hz Adaptive Sync Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Is this an ok upgrade? Is it worth the money? GUIDANCE 6 minutes ago
- › Allsop XL Mouse Pad- Raindrop Blue by neilyo
- › Manjaro Linux XFCE 64bit (Latest Version) Arch based linux by AlphaC
- › Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7 AM4 AMD X370 RGB FUSION SMART FAN 5... by Radical Vision
- › MSI ProSeries AMD Ryzen B350 DDR4 VR Ready HDMI USB 3 micro-ATX... by CriticalOne
- › Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz (PC4-25600)... by CriticalOne
- › EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 80+ PLATINUM, 850W ECO Mode Fully Modular... by Radical Vision
- › Winnja Cable by SightUp
- › In Win Classic Series, 80 Plus Platinum Certified, Fully Modular... by Wally West
- › Intel 750 Series AIC 800GB PCI Express 3.0 MLC Solid State Drive... by Spykerv
- › ID-COOLING Auraflow 240 RGB AIO Cooler by DaveLT
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency