So today in chemistry, we were going over these questions, and we come to something about diamonds.
My teacher, used to live in south africa. He is totally an awesome bro, and he knows a lot more about stuff than you think he would.
Anyways, he starts going into this rant about how diamonds were discovered in South Africa. He goes through pretty much the whole history of diamond mining and production. Eventually, he gets to the part about DeBeers, and their role in the diamond market.
As you may or may not know, DeBeers owns virtually ALL diamonds, and diamond trade. They have what nations like the United states would consider a "Total Monopoly". They control the price, the trade, pretty much everything.
So anyways, he explains the above to the class, and like most ignorant 16/17/18 year olds, everyone is just like "lolwut". So he continues his rant, and goes into how DeBeers popularized the diamond engagement ring.
He likened it to how companies pretty much created fathers day just for more money. He continues on, and is all like:
"So boys, you don't NEEEEEED to buy diamond engagements rings. It is all a marketing ploy"
At this point, pretty much all the girls in the class are like begging him to stop. Literally begging, like they would rather learn and do work, than listen to an interesting rant. (rare)
I kinda just laughed since i already knew most of this since i like Geology and have a pretty nice rock collection myself.
Moral of the story: Teenage girls are extremely susceptible to media, and are materialistic as ever, and my Chem teacher is a total boss for making half a class almost break down in tears.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2917 Active Users (652 Members and 2265 Guests)
- › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 970 Owner's Club 1 minute ago
- › AMD Kaveri A10-7850K Overclock Guide 1 minute ago
- › [STEAM] Hardware & Software Survey 2 minutes ago
- › Want to have your build featured on EKWB Social Media? 2 minutes ago
- › Does AMD make any CPUs that trade blows with a Core i5 currently? 4 minutes ago
- › Am i being bottlenecked? 5 minutes ago
- › Geforce 8800 DESTRUCTION Competition - DISCUSSION THREAD 5 minutes ago
- › [Arstechnica] LogMeIn buys LastPass password manager for $110 million 6 minutes ago
- › [Arstechnica] New Outlook mail server attack steals massive number... 6 minutes ago
- › Carrizo FX-8800P, A10-8700P Info and Optimizations 6 minutes ago
- › Supermicro Motherboard ATX DDR4 3000 C7X99-OCE-O by Hukkel
- › CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply by buttface420
- › PNY XLR8 GeForce GTX 980 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card VCGGTX9804XPB-CG by jlhawn
- › Logitech G510s Gaming Keyboard with Game Panel LCD Screen by Lady Fitzgerald
- › MSI Computer ATX DDR4 Motherboard Z170A GAMING M7 by ObscureParadox
- › Poseidon Z RGB Blue Switch KB-PZR-KLBRUS-01 by NerdinOut
- › JVC HAFX102B XX Xtreme Bass Earbuds, Black by un-midas touch
- › Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery (Technician) - Lifetime License by oliverpowell
- › Mionix Castor Multi-Color Ergonomic Optical Gaming Mouse,... by Maximillion
- › Super Flower Leadex Platinum 550w by NinjaDuck
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency
- › Multi Tasking on Intel Haswell CPU's
- › Intel Hyper Threading - Performance Scaling...
- › Intel Core i3 vs Core i5 vs Core i7: Gaming...
- › The Witcher 3 v1.08 - Performance Test
- › Overclock Labs - Community Review Program...
- › P5K-VM chassis intrusion hardware fix
- › overcloking gtx 770 lightning
- › Regarding CSGO MouseMovementRecorder
- › Dangerous Things: xNTi NFC Tag Implants