So today in chemistry, we were going over these questions, and we come to something about diamonds.
My teacher, used to live in south africa. He is totally an awesome bro, and he knows a lot more about stuff than you think he would.
Anyways, he starts going into this rant about how diamonds were discovered in South Africa. He goes through pretty much the whole history of diamond mining and production. Eventually, he gets to the part about DeBeers, and their role in the diamond market.
As you may or may not know, DeBeers owns virtually ALL diamonds, and diamond trade. They have what nations like the United states would consider a "Total Monopoly". They control the price, the trade, pretty much everything.
So anyways, he explains the above to the class, and like most ignorant 16/17/18 year olds, everyone is just like "lolwut". So he continues his rant, and goes into how DeBeers popularized the diamond engagement ring.
He likened it to how companies pretty much created fathers day just for more money. He continues on, and is all like:
"So boys, you don't NEEEEEED to buy diamond engagements rings. It is all a marketing ploy"
At this point, pretty much all the girls in the class are like begging him to stop. Literally begging, like they would rather learn and do work, than listen to an interesting rant. (rare)
I kinda just laughed since i already knew most of this since i like Geology and have a pretty nice rock collection myself.
Moral of the story: Teenage girls are extremely susceptible to media, and are materialistic as ever, and my Chem teacher is a total boss for making half a class almost break down in tears.
Currently, there are 2410 Active Users (530 Members and 1880 Guests)
- › [Ended] Battlefield 4 29.99$ 19.99 if u have the old 10$ OFF... 36 seconds ago
- › LightBoost, G-SYNC, Turbo240: 120Hz Strobe Backlight LCDs / No... 51 seconds ago
- › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 780 Owner's Club 1 minute ago
- › VTX3D HD 7850 no video display 1 minute ago
- › Your best Skyrim "Awesome pictures"? 1 minute ago
- › [Official] Cooler Master HAF-XB Club! 1 minute ago
- › Anandtech Bench for 770 vs 7970 1 minute ago
- › [Official] Delidded Club 1 minute ago
- › [GP]EA Donates $1.65 Million from Humble Origin Bundle 2 minutes ago
- › OCN Water Cooling Club And Picture Gallery 2 minutes ago
- › Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R1) by himwhoscalledim
- › Corsair Carbide Series 200R Computer Case by himwhoscalledim
- › COOLER MASTER USA RR-T612-20PK-R1 TPC 612 HEAT SINK INTEL LGA... by damric
- › ASRock Micro ATX DDR2 1066 AM2.AM3 Motherboard (960GC-GS FX) by ViR-tUaL
- › Apevia X-Discovery Mid-T by Newbiegeek
- › COOLER MASTER Elite 310 RC-310-BKR2-GP Black with blue front panel... by Newbiegeek
- › COOLER MASTER Elite 361 RC-361-KKR350 Black Computer Case by Newbiegeek
- › Perixx PX-1100, Backlit Keyboard - Red/Blue/Purple Illuminated Keys... by Totally Dubbed
- › Sapphire Radeon R9 280X VAPOR-X Video Card by Switchblade1969
- › Xfx Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) HD-577A-ZNFC Video Card by kinkinkijkin
- › H2O vs. LN2 by Slinky PC
- › Optimal Placement for Your Rig by twistedspace
- › Chat over LAN without cmd using LAN Messenger. by agentoo7
- › Posting Guidelines for Hardware, Vendor, and... by Chipp
- › fan control modding by Dalbaa
- › Why Bonaire is overrated and R7-260X is a... by AlphaC
- › Estimating Fan requirements (draft) by AlphaC
- › Rate My Build by mezzi2010
- › DRAFT : R9 290X compute & workstation by AlphaC
- › Moodle Setup by RUprosprng