So today in chemistry, we were going over these questions, and we come to something about diamonds.
My teacher, used to live in south africa. He is totally an awesome bro, and he knows a lot more about stuff than you think he would.
Anyways, he starts going into this rant about how diamonds were discovered in South Africa. He goes through pretty much the whole history of diamond mining and production. Eventually, he gets to the part about DeBeers, and their role in the diamond market.
As you may or may not know, DeBeers owns virtually ALL diamonds, and diamond trade. They have what nations like the United states would consider a "Total Monopoly". They control the price, the trade, pretty much everything.
So anyways, he explains the above to the class, and like most ignorant 16/17/18 year olds, everyone is just like "lolwut". So he continues his rant, and goes into how DeBeers popularized the diamond engagement ring.
He likened it to how companies pretty much created fathers day just for more money. He continues on, and is all like:
"So boys, you don't NEEEEEED to buy diamond engagements rings. It is all a marketing ploy"
At this point, pretty much all the girls in the class are like begging him to stop. Literally begging, like they would rather learn and do work, than listen to an interesting rant. (rare)
I kinda just laughed since i already knew most of this since i like Geology and have a pretty nice rock collection myself.
Moral of the story: Teenage girls are extremely susceptible to media, and are materialistic as ever, and my Chem teacher is a total boss for making half a class almost break down in tears.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2234 Active Users (382 Members and 1852 Guests)
- › Forum Folding War 2017 6 seconds ago
- › Fire Strike Ultra Top 30 18 seconds ago
- › AMD X 6 Battle Royale ( and poker run) - Unofficial competition 34 seconds ago
- › == Haswell-E Overclock Leaderboard & Owners Club == 1 minute ago
- › [Zerohedge] Fukushima Aborts Latest Robot Mission Inside Reactor,... 1 minute ago
- › [WCCFTECH] AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Breaks Cinebench R15 Multi-Thread... 1 minute ago
- › HDMI Splitter won't work correctly... 4 minutes ago
- › [Official] AMD R9 Radeon FURY / NANO / X / Pro DUO FIJI Owners Club 5 minutes ago
- › We're interviewing CaseLabs LIVE at 6:00 PM Monday! What should we... 5 minutes ago
- › [TechRadar] NVIDIA Virtually Confirms GTX 1080Ti Launch Date 6 minutes ago
- › NETGEAR Dual Band 802.11ac Wireless Access Point (WAC104-100NAS) by Terrere
- › Tt eSPORTS Ventus Z Ergonomic Laser Gaming Mouse with 2-Zone RGB... by Jedson3614
- › Dungeon Siege III by michaeltibbsjr
- › Sapphire RX 460 2GB Single Fan D5 OC by sepiashimmer
- › NZXT Technologies Kraken X41 140mm All-In-One Liquid Cooling System... by maverickvii
- › JH Audio JH3X Pro by Chipp
- › Cryorig R1 Ultimate CR-R1A Dual Tower CPU Heatsink with 2xXF140 fans by AyyMD
- › Thermaltake PS-SPR-0850FPCBUS-R Smart Pro RGB 850W Zero Fan 80 PLUS... by Jedson3614
- › In Win 509 ROG Gaming eATX by khaosgamer
- › NZXT S340 Mid Tower Cases CA-S340W-B1 Glossy Black by AyyMD
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency
- › Multi Tasking on Intel Haswell CPU's
- › Intel Hyper Threading - Performance Scaling...
- › Intel Core i3 vs Core i5 vs Core i7: Gaming...