I've had a good read through Valiche's blog article and it came across as very well written, apart from his reference to comparing the computing industry to the car industry.
"In order to be able to draw parallels with current situation, let’s compare computers to cars, since both share emotional similarities." [Valiche, T., 2008]
I have to say that one cannot compare the motor industry with the computing industry, they are two entirely different kettles of fish. I struggle to understand what is meant by them shareing "emotional similarities". I assume that he means that people have an attachment to certain types of device. For example, many people regard Ferrari with a higher level of awe than say, a manufacturer like Ford. However, this isn't simply down to the fact that they make "performance cars". When it comes to cars made by Ferrari, it's not just the car itself but the name, history, and everything that goes with it.
"Car industry missed the way what car drivers’ desire and that was punished with a dramatic decrease in sales… from makers of bog standard automobiles." [Valiche, T., 2008]
Consumer desire has absolutely nothing to do with the decrease in car sales. I assume the argument that is being made here is that although mainstream sales can be hurt, sales of performance goods won't feel the burn as much. This is complete nonsense of course.
When it comes to car sales, it's all fair and good saying manufacturers like Ferrari and Porsche haven't been hurt as much as mainstream manufacturers, but the difference is the people that buy those sort of cars. Many people who buy typical new cars, for a lack of a better description, often do so through loans, or hire purchase. The sort of people that buy Ferrari's are sufficienly well off financially to be able to buy their cars outright. Due to the current economic crisis those people who need finance to purchase vehicles are struggleing to get the loans that they require to make their purchases. This has more to do with the economy in general, and the current situation of financial organisations, not people's "desire" to buy certain goods.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2508 Active Users (408 Members and 2100 Guests)
- › AMD Ryzen Motherboard Thread 14 seconds ago
- › white balls of mould in reservoir :( 50 seconds ago
- › Kaby Lake Overclocking Guide [With Statistics] 1 minute ago
- › Hey Guys, Here is my first build, help me confirm that everything... 1 minute ago
- › My experience with the Asus PRIME X370-Pro 2 minutes ago
- › GSync above monitor refresh rate? 3 minutes ago
- › Delux M625 / M626 3 minutes ago
- › [HardOCP] The Navy Will Soon Use Xbox Controllers to Operate Its... 4 minutes ago
- › Three different fan controllers up in smoke powering 5 fans: Need... 5 minutes ago
- › MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon experience 8 minutes ago
- › Corsair Obsidian 750D Computer Case With Side Panel Window by The_Rocker
- › Asus Xonar Essence STX 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card by The_Rocker
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by The_Rocker
- › Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W... by foofer1233
- › Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 1 LGA 2011 Processor - BX80619I73930K by powerhouse
- › HDPLEX H5 Fanless Computer Chassis by michelme67
- › Nuance Power PDF Standard by Lady Fitzgerald
- › ID-COOLING SE214L Snow Edition CPU Heatsink by DaveLT
- › Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)... by ADmodz
- › Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 (Dark Silver) (920-003366) by enes13mes
- › Hands-On: TCL 55″ P-Series 4K HDR TV is...
- › (OPINION) AMD shot themselves in the foot by...
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...