OK, I've calmed down some now. I've managed to get my OC on this guy back up to 940/1140 @ 1.4V with no noticeable problems atm. Friday, I went ahead and ordered some more parts, mostly for cooling this heater down.
I've got a Thermalright T-Rad2 GTX & VRM-R2 coming from SVC.com and some Arctic Cooling MX-3 that has already arrived from Petra's Tech Shop. I also went ahead and ordered 2 Blue LED 110cfm CoolerMaster fans ($5 a pop, ), 2 80x25mm high volume fans (80cfm @ $2 each, ) from SVC.com, they were having a sale on them, and and a Ultra Kaze 1000rpm from Petra's Tech Shop that I plan on converting into a shroud for my Panaflo on Megatron.
So the plan atm is to replace both the SilenX 120x25mm "72cfm" fans (one had the fan assembly just fall out , lucky me) with both the CoolerMaster LED fans, remount Megatron with the MX-3, and install the new air cooling "kit" on my EAH4890.
I believe that a lot of my artifacting problems have been heat related since I have observed the issues start as temperatures approached and exceeded 75C. Even at 100% fan speed, it just wouldn't keep cool enough. I know that running a stress test would generate heat, but the max dT is over 100C for this gpu, so the VRMs may also be at fault.
Personally I don't like using thermal adhesives since they limit your updatability later on, but I'll make an exception for the heatsinks that are to be attached to the RAM on the EAH4890 (thermal adhesive tape I think).
I'll be doing a log of my progress via a post I started a couple of days ago in the ATi cooling section. Admittedly, the cpu is included in that post, so I think I'll link it to the Air Cooling section as well.
This morning (yes, I work nights), I'll start a couple of stress tests (30-60 min) to get the heat up on both the cpu & graphics and THIS TIME I'll remember to take screens of everything.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 1875 Active Users (253 Members and 1622 Guests)
- › My experience with the Asus PRIME X370-Pro 26 seconds ago
- › High pitched whine on motherboard audio codec outputs 38 seconds ago
- › Australia pump and res help! 3 minutes ago
- › [Various] 6C Coffee Lake Lineup: i7-8700K & i5-8600K / CPU-Z +... 4 minutes ago
- › [SPONSORED] ALUMIA <<< EK Fluid Gaming BH7 <<< 5 minutes ago
- › Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Thread 5 minutes ago
- › [Official] Corsair Vengeance C70 Gaming Case Owner Club 5 minutes ago
- › [WCCF] AMD Ryzen Mobile APU Benchmarks Leaked, Up To 90% Faster... 6 minutes ago
- › [Vortez] Project "GOLD RUSH" Severely Damaged Following Computex... 9 minutes ago
- › [OFFICIAL] PLAYERUNKNOWN's Battlegrounds Information & Discussion... 9 minutes ago
- › Corsair Obsidian 750D Computer Case With Side Panel Window by The_Rocker
- › Asus Xonar Essence STX 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card by The_Rocker
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by The_Rocker
- › Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W... by foofer1233
- › Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 1 LGA 2011 Processor - BX80619I73930K by powerhouse
- › HDPLEX H5 Fanless Computer Chassis by michelme67
- › Nuance Power PDF Standard by Lady Fitzgerald
- › ID-COOLING SE214L Snow Edition CPU Heatsink by DaveLT
- › Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)... by ADmodz
- › Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 (Dark Silver) (920-003366) by enes13mes
- › Hands-On: TCL 55″ P-Series 4K HDR TV is...
- › (OPINION) AMD shot themselves in the foot by...
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...