The first domino has fallen.
Now that the mayor of Los Angeles has signed the budget for the upcoming fiscal year (which starts on July 1st of every year and runs through to the end of June of the following year), the long-rumored layoffs and mandatory unpaid furlough days for Los Angeles City employees pass from possibility to likelihood. If there is no opposition to the acceptance of this budget (none is expected), the first round of layoffs will commence, starting with 1,200 City employees. Additionally, all City employees will be required to take twenty six furlough days throughout the fiscal year.
Though initially only 1,200 people are going to lose their jobs imminently, City Hall has clearly indicated that this is a "work in progress." Such is the scope of the City's financial troubles that City leaders are forced to try to hit a moving target. More layoffs are possible, and the number of mandatory furlough days (which ultimately mean that there is less income for each individual City employee who keeps his/her job) is likely to increase as well.
If the current economic climate persists, and especially if it worsens, more of these ominous dominos are sure to fall. Moreover, if and when things get bad, the rank and file amongst the City's workforce, ordinary people who depend on their salaries and income to live, eat, and pay for the essentials of living, will be the ones who get crushed by these toppling dominos. (I personally have not seen any evidence of the City's bigwigs voluntarily taking cuts in their pay, or taking mandatory unpaid furlough days themselves.)
I am likely to be one of those who may eventually find himself under one of these dominos.
Seniority is one of those factors which will determine who gets laid off. I've been a City employee for three years and five months. This is not a long time, for sure. But I am fairly confident (not to mention very hopeful) that I will not be amongst the first 1,200 cuts.
I've been on the lookout for a new job for the last two months, just in case the worst happens. The problem with this part of the strategy, though, is that the job market is presently quite dry. There is a real shortage of opportunities at the moment, at least here in Southern California. My personal reality is that I require a certain minimum in income, as I literally depend on my paycheck to live.
I have no real luxuries at this point in my life.
As I look at life, at this array of dominos arranged to fall in sequence, I can only hope that the one that has my name on it isn't slated to crush me at any time soon. It's hard to not be pessimistic during these times, but I do get a crumb of comfort knowing that, despite everything that might happen, the future is not set in stone.
I'm still here, and I can still change and affect things for the better.
Currently, there are 2095 Active Users (441 Members and 1654 Guests)
- › [Wired] Earth has entered into a sixth mass extinction event 1 minute ago
- › [Official] RYZEN 5 1600X | 1600 | 1500X | 1400 Owners Club 2 minutes ago
- › ASUS X299 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread 2 minutes ago
- › In Win 303 Owners Club 2 minutes ago
- › [Official] Screenshot of Your Games Thread 3 minutes ago
- › [Motherboard]Apple Is Lobbying Against Your Right to Repair... 3 minutes ago
- › Firmware Added Button Delay Testing Attempts(Tapping mouse buttons... 3 minutes ago
- › ACER Predator X34 Owners Club 3 minutes ago
- › Destiny 2 Information & Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › [Various] Gamescom 2017 Gameplay Videos and Trailers 4 minutes ago
- › Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 1 LGA 2011 Processor - BX80619I73930K by powerhouse
- › HDPLEX H5 Fanless Computer Chassis by michelme67
- › Nuance Power PDF Standard by Lady Fitzgerald
- › ID-COOLING SE214L Snow Edition CPU Heatsink by DaveLT
- › Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)... by ADmodz
- › Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 (Dark Silver) (920-003366) by enes13mes
- › PDF Studio 12 - Advanced PDF Editor for Windows - Pro Edition... by Lady Fitzgerald
- › Brand New Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 Portable Document Scanner... by Lady Fitzgerald
- › Tecware Phantom Backlit Mechanical Keyboard (Red / White Backlit... by DaveLT
- › Allsop XL Mouse Pad- Raindrop Blue by neilyo
- › (OPINION) AMD shot themselves in the foot by...
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...