EA, come on. All the backlash Ubi is taking over this scheme should be a clue that it's not exactly an effective scheme. Do you honestly think you aren't going to catch any flak from the gaming community?
Ok, let's look at this without even thinking about the customer. This scheme requires you have a constant connection to a server in order to work. We know from every Battlefield game you've released that you have issues, BC2 having some pretty major ones. Your servers are about as good at staying online as Stevie Wonder is at distinguishing colors.
Ok, now that we have it down pat that your servers are only going to run for 20 minutes a week, let's look at it from the honest customer's standpoint. They go to the store, spend 50 on the game, get home, get it installed, then try to play. Signs in, single player starts up, they're all . But then your notoriously unreliable servers decide their time would be better spent playing Spider Solitaire, so they go offline. The honest customer is now in a rage because his game, which he paid good money for, is calling him a dirty pirate and refusing to work. The honest customer is irate, he calls tech support and cusses them out, burns the DVD, poos in the box and mails it right back to EA while starting a boycott. He swears off every EA product ever made, he'll never buy from you again.
Now let's look at it from the pirate's POV. Yarr harr.
The pirate spends all of 0 money on the game itself. Already he's better off, value wise, than the honest customer. His total expenditure will be about two or three dollars, roughly the cost of the fuel the honest man used going to the store to buy the game. Then, the pirate mounts the ISO in Daemon, installs the game, and installs the crack. So far so good, he starts teh game up, begins the campaign and is having fun.
Once again, your servers decide to play a game(This time Pinball, because you're stupid enough to use XP on them if you're stupid enough to use this scheme), but since the pirate's copy doesn't have the DRM anymore, he doesn't even notice. He keeps right on playing, having fun, enjoying the product.
Now, say the honest man rants to his blog online about it. Perfectly understandable. The pirate then sees this rant and decides "Hrm, perhaps I should teaech EA a lesson by forcing more of their users to swear them off". HE gets his pirate buddies in on a DDoS attack against your login servers, kinda like what happened to Ubi. Now the already unreliable servers are offline 24/7, honest customers aren't getting their money's worth, and who knows one may file a lawsuit.
How much cocaine does it take for this kind of DRM to seem like a good idea, EA?
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 1914 Active Users (312 Members and 1602 Guests)
- › [Official] RYZEN 5 1600X | 1600 | 1500X | 1400 Owners Club 1 minute ago
- › Mayhems users club 2 minutes ago
- › Is my PSU Failing ?? CMOS reset needed to get working 2 minutes ago
- › Appraisals: 4770K, 4670K, Z87 G1.Sniper, Z87-UD4H, 16GB Samsung... 2 minutes ago
- › Calling All Intel Haswell Laptop Owners 3 minutes ago
- › [WCCFTech] AMD’s RX Vega 56 and 64’s $399 and $499 Price Tag Was A... 4 minutes ago
- › A call-out to all LGA 775 Overclockers!! 8 minutes ago
- › [eTeknix] Intel’s Core i9-7960X Takes 8 Out of 9 Records Versus... 8 minutes ago
- › [Official] Nvidia GTX 980 Ti Owners Club 13 minutes ago
- › [eTeknix] Intel Core i9-7960X 16 cores, 32 threads Geekbench Scores... 17 minutes ago
- › Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 1 LGA 2011 Processor - BX80619I73930K by powerhouse
- › HDPLEX H5 Fanless Computer Chassis by michelme67
- › Nuance Power PDF Standard by Lady Fitzgerald
- › ID-COOLING SE214L Snow Edition CPU Heatsink by DaveLT
- › Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)... by ADmodz
- › Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 (Dark Silver) (920-003366) by enes13mes
- › PDF Studio 12 - Advanced PDF Editor for Windows - Pro Edition... by Lady Fitzgerald
- › Brand New Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 Portable Document Scanner... by Lady Fitzgerald
- › Tecware Phantom Backlit Mechanical Keyboard (Red / White Backlit... by DaveLT
- › Allsop XL Mouse Pad- Raindrop Blue by neilyo
- › (OPINION) AMD shot themselves in the foot by...
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...