Well it has now been two weeks since I started ordering parts and then returning/exchanging parts for my new computer. At first I was going to build my system around the AMD 940 Phenom X4 chip. So i ordered the ram and the mother board for it. So there I am researching what I want and where to get it for the cheapest price for a week. Once that ,in addition to most everything else comes in, I figure I'll start to put this together with what part i have like the motherboard, CPU, and ram. So I put in the ram. "Piece of cake" I say to myself. Then I take out the CPU from from its flimsy plastic encasement and hold it in awe. In awe how such a small thing can enable us to do so much. As I turn it over to inspect the bare pins on its underside I see what shouldn't be there. A bent pin! Oh no! Should I try to "fix" it? I decide against this since I just bought it then I should just return it. Amazon made it easy to return this defective CPU.
Now It was time to hunt for a new CPU. After a couple of hours of on and off searching my brother calls. "Hey! I found a great deal" Then he goes on to tell me about AMD's latest chip the Phenom X4 965BE c3 selling at $165 with free shipping. So I jump on that thinking it would be compatible with my AM2+/DDR2 motherboard since it is supposed to be compatible with AM3. So when the new chip arrives I install it into the motherboard and then I go on and connect the power and all the necessary connections. Now the moment of truth arrives. As I lay my finger on the computer's power button I lean over and expectantly look inside to see what comes next. Nothing. Hmmm, maybe I didn't press hard enough and so I press it again. Nothing. The only thing going through my head was "Crap!" I suspected this might happen but I didn't really want to believe it. So I look on the internet to see what others in my situation have done and can't really find any others. So I keep looking then I finally find a posting. What this person had to do was flash their bios using the old chip so the motherboard would then take the new chip. Crap, again. My last AMD computer still uses IDE connections and the AMD chip had a name that was hard to make out underneath the old thermal compound, AMD Duron. This is when I realize how outdated my things have become and so has what I knew. So glad I am building my own now just wish it was easier to know for sure if things were compatible. Since this Duron chip is so old it was not compatible with the 785G chip on the motherboard I wanted to use, so using it to flash the bios was out of the question. Buying a lower priced chip to flash the bios seemed like an option but I decided it was going to be too much trouble. Might as well just go ahead and jump up to the AM3/DDR3 motherboard. So I find myself a motherboard (GA-790XT-USB3) that is capable of running SATAII and the newest standard of USB3.
... more later. Too tired to keep writing right now.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2399 Active Users (370 Members and 2029 Guests)
- › [VC] AMD Vega architecture shines in VRMark Cyan Room 1 minute ago
- › [GTX 1080] GeForce Driver 388.31 has killed gaming performance and... 2 minutes ago
- › [Reuters]At least 15 Countries join global alliance to phase out... 3 minutes ago
- › New AMD Ryzen Build. Suggestions would be appreciated! 3 minutes ago
- › Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Shift/Shift X Owners Club 3 minutes ago
- › 4K or 1440p High End Monitor Suggestions? 4 minutes ago
- › Skylake-X/Kaby Lake-X Combined Discussion 4 minutes ago
- › Raijintek Metis Owners Club 4 minutes ago
- › Gigabyte GTX 780 Rev 2.0 Aluminium heatsinks experiment 4 minutes ago
- › [BBC]Singapore to use driverless buses 'from 2022 5 minutes ago
- › Toshiba P300 3TB by TwoCables
- › AIM SC808 by Morti
- › Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming by vMax65
- › INTEL Core i5-8600K by vMax65
- › Ninox Venator - Black by vanir1337
- › Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-650FX 650W 80+ Gold ATX12V &... by AlphaC
- › Tt eSPORTS Ventus R by vanir1337
- › Cooler Master GX - 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply (RS750-ACAAD3-US) by Micss
- › ZOWIE GEAR ZA12 GAMING MOUSE by vanir1337
- › Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler ,... by SightUp
- › Hands-On: TCL 55″ P-Series 4K HDR TV is...
- › (OPINION) AMD shot themselves in the foot by...
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...