I'm building a budget rig a friend of mine who has lived off of his graphic designer father's old Macs for his entire life currently. He gave me a 700$ budget, and so with 750 I went out and bought these parts from NCIX.
Everything went fine when ordering, except for two small mishaps, the first one being that it took like a friggin week to even get the stuff in the mail, and the other being that the power supply I ordered was back ordered.
I get the parts, throw it together with a spare power supply, doesn't work. Try again. Nothing, clear CMOS, try once more. None. Try another powersupply, change RAM config, try other set of RAM, nothing. By now, I'm seriously pissed. I call NCIX, speak to some dude, he tells me that chances are that the BIOS doesn't support my chip, one of the latest 45nms, even if there's 45 nm support written in big on the board's box. Makes sense, I take my home server Annabel off it's ceiling rack, rip the whole thing apart, then swap the e4300. The damned thing boots! I flash the new BIOS using Q-Flash (way to go Gigabyte, great stuff you have there), and pop in the e7200. It boots, again! Then I proceed to install Windows... when all of a sudden BSOD. Ok, fine, I reboot. Doesn't boot again, so I clear CMOS again. The next time I reboot, I get this BIOS error message, the BIOS tells me it's fixing itself, then the box shuts down, and won't reboot with the e7200.
By now, I'm frustrated as hell. I try to sleep on it, and it comes to me that maybe that the BIOS has reverted to it's old version while recovering. So the next day, I don't even get dressed before I take down my server again, swap, and try to reboot. The e4300 which used to work now doesn't work anymore. I try repositioning the chip, nothing works.
So I phone the NCIX support team, only to be asked by a machine to leave a message. I get called back by a rep who I can't understand, finally get an RMA number after trying to explain to him that I haven't done anything to the damned board, and that it's obviously a manufacturing defect.
And now I feel super bad asking the guy I'm building this for to pay the shipping to return the thing, and I'm very stressed about NCIX just not giving a crap and sending in the same board telling me it works. What if I haven't testing everything?
Anyways... it's a pretty stressful thing buying stuff for other people, and doing RMA sure does suck.
Currently, there are 2185 Active Users (233 Members and 1952 Guests)
- › ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread 19 seconds ago
- › Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Thread 59 seconds ago
- › Skylake-X/Kaby Lake-X Combined Discussion 1 minute ago
- › Have AMD solved the RAM issue and other issues for Ryzen yet? 4 minutes ago
- › Another "recommend me a PSU" thread (but - PC has killed 3 so far!) 7 minutes ago
- › AMD Ryzen Threadripper Owners Club - 1950X | 1920X | 1900X 8 minutes ago
- › The Socket 939 Appreciation Club and Knowledgebase [Official] 8 minutes ago
- › [HB] Outlast + Whistleblower DLC free from Humble Bundle 11 minutes ago
- › AMD Ryzen Motherboard Thread 12 minutes ago
- › [Various] 6C Coffee Lake Lineup: i7-8700K & i5-8600K / CPU-Z +... 13 minutes ago
- › Phanteks PH-F140MP_BBK_PWM 140mm fan by AlphaC
- › Seasonic Flagship PRIME SERIES SSR-1200PD 1200W PLATINUM FULL... by mllrkllr88
- › Corsair Obsidian 750D Computer Case With Side Panel Window by The_Rocker
- › Asus Xonar Essence STX 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card by The_Rocker
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by The_Rocker
- › Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W... by foofer1233
- › Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 1 LGA 2011 Processor - BX80619I73930K by powerhouse
- › HDPLEX H5 Fanless Computer Chassis by michelme67
- › Nuance Power PDF Standard by Lady Fitzgerald
- › ID-COOLING SE214L Snow Edition CPU Heatsink by DaveLT
- › Hands-On: TCL 55″ P-Series 4K HDR TV is...
- › (OPINION) AMD shot themselves in the foot by...
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...