If you have been following me, you know that I had a Pentium 4 and I was upgrading. Well, the parts came yesterday and I set it up and got it running. Here is what is in my rig:
Intel C2Q Q8200 2.33GHZ
ASRock P45XE motherboard
4GB (2x2) OCZ Platinum DDR2-1000
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
OCZ Freeze Thermal Compound
Sapphire Radeon 4670 512MB
So far, I haven't done much, just installed Windows XP Pro x64 edition and got some of the basics set up (Antivirus, firefox, media player), aswell, I got BOINC running on all 4 cores and Folding GPU on the 4670.
While installing, I encountered 1 error, the heatsink for the P45 chipset was located very close to my Freezer Pro and I had to bend the Freezer Pro a bit to get it to fit. This is my first upgrade and I was scared at first that I would screw something up, but nothing bad happened (thank god) and I have to say that I now have a greater appreciation for system builders everywhere. I underestimated how long it takes to do this.
After installing the hardware, I booted up and it worked! I noticed that the multiplier was set to 6x, giving me 2000mhz on the processor, a quick bios change to 7x helped that to go back to its stock 2333mhz. Another issue I noticed is that Windows x64 was only detecting roughly 3226MB. I had to go back into the BIOS and enabled "Memory remapping".
So far, everything seems good. I might be upgrading the PSU and use the old one to run my old P4 as a secondary rig.
Stay Tuned to Gamers' Blog #4 as I will give you benchmarks of the q8200 vs. the prescott!
Thanks for reading
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 1868 Active Users (257 Members and 1611 Guests)
- › Skylake X Delid Question 14 seconds ago
- › Skylake-X Binning 1 minute ago
- › Permanent thermal throttling? 3 minutes ago
- › New products from Monsoon cooling 4 minutes ago
- › [Various] 6C Coffee Lake Lineup: i7-8700K & i5-8600K / CPU-Z +... 4 minutes ago
- › [Official] OCN Beigemodders Club - From Trash to Treasure 5 minutes ago
- › [Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club 5 minutes ago
- › Finalmouse is still ... 8 minutes ago
- › New Massdrop Vast Monitor. 35" curved 3440x1440 AUO VA panel,... 8 minutes ago
- › Question about bizarre movement phenomenon 11 minutes ago
- › Seasonic Flagship PRIME SERIES SSR-1200PD 1200W PLATINUM FULL... by mllrkllr88
- › Corsair Obsidian 750D Computer Case With Side Panel Window by The_Rocker
- › Asus Xonar Essence STX 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card by The_Rocker
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by The_Rocker
- › Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W... by foofer1233
- › Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 1 LGA 2011 Processor - BX80619I73930K by powerhouse
- › HDPLEX H5 Fanless Computer Chassis by michelme67
- › Nuance Power PDF Standard by Lady Fitzgerald
- › ID-COOLING SE214L Snow Edition CPU Heatsink by DaveLT
- › Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)... by ADmodz
- › Hands-On: TCL 55″ P-Series 4K HDR TV is...
- › (OPINION) AMD shot themselves in the foot by...
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...