Weave is an extension for Firefox that allows you to back up and synchronize your bookmarks, open tabs, passwords and form entries across multiple computers. It’s a nifty little plug-in that takes up the slack for the much loved (and dearly departed) Google Browser Sync. Unfortunately, the Weave extension and service are in beta testing mode, and the backend servers that Mozilla uses to make Weave work are usually overwhelmed, making synchronization as slow as molasses. To make matters worse, the Mozilla servers are frequently taken offline for various reasons, so not only is synching slow, it doesn’t even work much of the time.
However, I recently came across this “easy as pie” method for setting up Weave using the free “online disk” service MyDisk.se:
1) Create a free account on MyDisk.
2) During the MyDisk setup, you will be given instructions for adding your “MyDisk space” to your “My Network Places” applet in Windows XP (or “Network Center” in Windows Vista). Be sure to do this, as it’s important in the next step.
3) Open “My Network Places” and click on the MyDisk icon you created in step 2.
4) You will see two folders in your MyDisk space: “backup” and “webpage”. Right-click any whitespace and create a new folder called “user” (without quotes). Double-click on that folder and create a new folder inside that one named after your MyDisk user name. For example, if your MyDisk name is “jsmith”, then you should have a folder called “user” with another folder inside that called “jsmith”.
5) Click the Weave icon in the Firefox status bar (if you haven’t installed Weave already, now would be the time to do so). Choose “Preferences”.
6) On the “Advanced” tab, change the “Server Location” from https://services.mozilla.com/ to https://mydisk.se/USERNAME/, where USERNAME is your MyDisk user name. Don’t forget the trailing slash - it’s important!
7) Log in to Weave using your MyDisk username and password.
You’ll be amazed at how much faster Weave performs on the new server. In fact, where my previous synchs with Mozilla servers could take up to 10 minutes, my entire first sync with MyDisk took only around 4 minutes (and the first sync takes longer that most, because all of your information has to be sent, whereas only changes are sent in subsequent synchs).
For those of your wondering about security, all of your information is encrypted by Firefox before it leaves your computer, so all that’s sitting on MyDisk’s servers are a few encrypted files. I suppose that the MyDisk people could buy a few dozens servers and try to hack the encryption for it… but why would they?
With thanks to jimcofer.com
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2871 Active Users (532 Members and 2339 Guests)
- › New Fan for a Phanteks case (6700K OC in mind) 38 seconds ago
- › [PCGH/PcPer] Nvidia to Pascal: "Maximum tension shortens life to... 1 minute ago
- › Motherboard settings 1 minute ago
- › New Logitech G403 PRODIGY 107G + 10G - Wire/Wireless 1 minute ago
- › DELL XPS A2010 whitelist 2 minutes ago
- › [Guru3d] Radeon RX 500 Series fabbed using newer 14nm LLP 2 minutes ago
- › Anyone has the 24GM79G-B yet? 2 minutes ago
- › ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread 2 minutes ago
- › [Official] NVIDIA Titan X Pascal Owners Thread 3 minutes ago
- › **Official ASUS P5Q PRO Turbo/PRO/Turbo Owners Club** (All ASUS P45... 3 minutes ago
- › ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition Graphic Card... by toast
- › Alphacool Lighttower All-in-One Reservoir/Pump Combo w/Phobya... by EcksMega
- › ASUS Prime B350-Plus AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4 HDMI DVI VGA M.2 USB 3.1... by OldNerd
- › MyDigitalSSD BPX 80mm (2280) M.2 PCI Express 3.0 x4 (PCIe Gen3 x4)... by Jedson3614
- › NZXT Kraken X52 All-in-One CPU Liquid Cooling System Cooling, Black... by Duality92
- › Nixeus REVEL Gaming Mouse - PixArt PMW 3360 Sensor with 8 Preset... by Duality92
- › Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800 by Khalaharee
- › Creative Labs K08 & M04 by Jedson3614
- › G.Skill Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Full RGB (RIPJAWS KM570 RGB,... by Duality92
- › Phononic HEX 2.0 Thermoelectric CPU Cooler, Black by Duality92
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency
- › Multi Tasking on Intel Haswell CPU's
- › Intel Hyper Threading - Performance Scaling...