Weave is an extension for Firefox that allows you to back up and synchronize your bookmarks, open tabs, passwords and form entries across multiple computers. It’s a nifty little plug-in that takes up the slack for the much loved (and dearly departed) Google Browser Sync. Unfortunately, the Weave extension and service are in beta testing mode, and the backend servers that Mozilla uses to make Weave work are usually overwhelmed, making synchronization as slow as molasses. To make matters worse, the Mozilla servers are frequently taken offline for various reasons, so not only is synching slow, it doesn’t even work much of the time.
However, I recently came across this “easy as pie” method for setting up Weave using the free “online disk” service MyDisk.se:
1) Create a free account on MyDisk.
2) During the MyDisk setup, you will be given instructions for adding your “MyDisk space” to your “My Network Places” applet in Windows XP (or “Network Center” in Windows Vista). Be sure to do this, as it’s important in the next step.
3) Open “My Network Places” and click on the MyDisk icon you created in step 2.
4) You will see two folders in your MyDisk space: “backup” and “webpage”. Right-click any whitespace and create a new folder called “user” (without quotes). Double-click on that folder and create a new folder inside that one named after your MyDisk user name. For example, if your MyDisk name is “jsmith”, then you should have a folder called “user” with another folder inside that called “jsmith”.
5) Click the Weave icon in the Firefox status bar (if you haven’t installed Weave already, now would be the time to do so). Choose “Preferences”.
6) On the “Advanced” tab, change the “Server Location” from https://services.mozilla.com/ to https://mydisk.se/USERNAME/, where USERNAME is your MyDisk user name. Don’t forget the trailing slash - it’s important!
7) Log in to Weave using your MyDisk username and password.
You’ll be amazed at how much faster Weave performs on the new server. In fact, where my previous synchs with Mozilla servers could take up to 10 minutes, my entire first sync with MyDisk took only around 4 minutes (and the first sync takes longer that most, because all of your information has to be sent, whereas only changes are sent in subsequent synchs).
For those of your wondering about security, all of your information is encrypted by Firefox before it leaves your computer, so all that’s sitting on MyDisk’s servers are a few encrypted files. I suppose that the MyDisk people could buy a few dozens servers and try to hack the encryption for it… but why would they?
With thanks to jimcofer.com
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 3175 Active Users (724 Members and 2451 Guests)
- › Moving to Windows 10 or not: That is the Question 6 seconds ago
- › 6700k in NA where R U!!! 14 seconds ago
- › The AM1 "UNOFFICIAL CLUB" 16 seconds ago
- › http://arizonacardinalslive.com 20 seconds ago
- › [Tech Report] Intel no plans for a socketed skylake with eDRAM 40 seconds ago
- › [BBC News] July was Earth's hottest month on record, NOAA says 1 minute ago
- › First Hands on Experience with BenQ XL2730Z 1 minute ago
- › Big Bang Theorists-Bus 62 never stops we have music Lol's 1 minute ago
- › MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G Card overclocks and pictures 1 minute ago
- › EVGA SuperNova G2/P2/T2 and Super Flower Leadex Owners Club 1 minute ago
- › Samsung U28E850R 28.0 inch Widescreen 1,000:1 1ms... by Hattifnatten
- › COOLER MASTER HAF X nVidia Edition NV-942-KKN1 Computer Case by wrath04
- › Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Processor by Niobium
- › Cooler Master Nepton 280L - Water Cooling System with Dual JetFlo... by Thetbrett
- › Intel Core i7-960 Processor 3.20 GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1366 by AlienPrime173
- › Microsoft Windows 10 Home | Download by Gregsta
- › Nixeus MODA v2 MK-BL15 Compact Mechanical Keyboard - Blue Switch... by Ramzinho
- › Intel Core i7-870 Processor 2.93 GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1156 by HeadlessKnight
- › Zowie Gear Large Gaming Mouse Pad (G-SR) by Ino.
- › Zowie GTF-X by Ino.
- › Need some help figuring out some sound settings
- › I need help with water cooling on my computer.
- › Overclock Labs - Community Review Program...
- › P5K-VM chassis intrusion hardware fix
- › overcloking gtx 770 lightning
- › Regarding CSGO MouseMovementRecorder
- › Dangerous Things: xNTi NFC Tag Implants
- › Grand Theft Auto V build 393.2 - Performance...
- › The Witcher 3 v1.06 - Performance Test
- › How To - Fix Intel CPU + Geforce GTX SLI -...