Weave is an extension for Firefox that allows you to back up and synchronize your bookmarks, open tabs, passwords and form entries across multiple computers. It’s a nifty little plug-in that takes up the slack for the much loved (and dearly departed) Google Browser Sync. Unfortunately, the Weave extension and service are in beta testing mode, and the backend servers that Mozilla uses to make Weave work are usually overwhelmed, making synchronization as slow as molasses. To make matters worse, the Mozilla servers are frequently taken offline for various reasons, so not only is synching slow, it doesn’t even work much of the time.
However, I recently came across this “easy as pie” method for setting up Weave using the free “online disk” service MyDisk.se:
1) Create a free account on MyDisk.
2) During the MyDisk setup, you will be given instructions for adding your “MyDisk space” to your “My Network Places” applet in Windows XP (or “Network Center” in Windows Vista). Be sure to do this, as it’s important in the next step.
3) Open “My Network Places” and click on the MyDisk icon you created in step 2.
4) You will see two folders in your MyDisk space: “backup” and “webpage”. Right-click any whitespace and create a new folder called “user” (without quotes). Double-click on that folder and create a new folder inside that one named after your MyDisk user name. For example, if your MyDisk name is “jsmith”, then you should have a folder called “user” with another folder inside that called “jsmith”.
5) Click the Weave icon in the Firefox status bar (if you haven’t installed Weave already, now would be the time to do so). Choose “Preferences”.
6) On the “Advanced” tab, change the “Server Location” from https://services.mozilla.com/ to https://mydisk.se/USERNAME/, where USERNAME is your MyDisk user name. Don’t forget the trailing slash - it’s important!
7) Log in to Weave using your MyDisk username and password.
You’ll be amazed at how much faster Weave performs on the new server. In fact, where my previous synchs with Mozilla servers could take up to 10 minutes, my entire first sync with MyDisk took only around 4 minutes (and the first sync takes longer that most, because all of your information has to be sent, whereas only changes are sent in subsequent synchs).
For those of your wondering about security, all of your information is encrypted by Firefox before it leaves your computer, so all that’s sitting on MyDisk’s servers are a few encrypted files. I suppose that the MyDisk people could buy a few dozens servers and try to hack the encryption for it… but why would they?
With thanks to jimcofer.com
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2319 Active Users (452 Members and 1867 Guests)
- › [Official] Crossover 2795QHD: PWM/Flicker Free Overclock-able Matte... 1 minute ago
- › [Official] The Windows 10 Club 2 minutes ago
- › [KitGuru] CEO of Seagate: "Nobody uses SSDs for storage" 3 minutes ago
- › [Official] Nvidia GTX 980 Ti Owners Club 4 minutes ago
- › Tri sli now? 5 minutes ago
- › Hello from FL! 5 minutes ago
- › [twitter] Final Fantasy XII remake announced by composer arnie roth 6 minutes ago
- › [Official] Playstation 4 Thread 7 minutes ago
- › How to Request Your Folding Milestone Badge(s) 7 minutes ago
- › [Official] AMD R9 390/390X Owners Club 7 minutes ago
- › NZXT Sentry 3 by Said Nobody
- › ROCCAT Lua Tri-Button Gaming Mouse (ROC-11-310) by Elektro
- › Razer Tartarus Gaming Keypad by PlebBob
- › Creative T4W 2.1 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker System by WilliamGayde
- › Razer Orochi Elite Mobile Gaming Mouse by PlebBob
- › Sapphire Radeon VAPOR-X R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/DP with... by WorldOfMine
- › Rosewill ATX Mid Tower Black Gaming Computer Case Galaxy-01 by WorldOfMine
- › Intel Core i3-4370 3.8GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor by WorldOfMine
- › Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop by Nfsdude0125
- › Alienware 15 ANW15-5350SLV 15.6" i7-4710HQ 16GB 128GB SSD +... by bluehawaiiASTR
- › BenQ FP241W not working with certain games.
- › Grand Theft Auto V build 393.2 - Performance...
- › The Witcher 3 v1.06 - Performance Test
- › How To - Fix Intel CPU + Geforce GTX SLI -...
- › The GTX 780 TI SLI - End of Life -...
- › I need some help with Overclock
- › How to raid 0 on 2 x SSD or 2 x HDD as...
- › Overclocking Ram - Crucial Ballistix Sport...
- › The Big VR Face-Off
- › Kingston Hyper X Fury Black 2x8GB 1600mhz Cl10