Weave is an extension for Firefox that allows you to back up and synchronize your bookmarks, open tabs, passwords and form entries across multiple computers. It’s a nifty little plug-in that takes up the slack for the much loved (and dearly departed) Google Browser Sync. Unfortunately, the Weave extension and service are in beta testing mode, and the backend servers that Mozilla uses to make Weave work are usually overwhelmed, making synchronization as slow as molasses. To make matters worse, the Mozilla servers are frequently taken offline for various reasons, so not only is synching slow, it doesn’t even work much of the time.
However, I recently came across this “easy as pie” method for setting up Weave using the free “online disk” service MyDisk.se:
1) Create a free account on MyDisk.
2) During the MyDisk setup, you will be given instructions for adding your “MyDisk space” to your “My Network Places” applet in Windows XP (or “Network Center” in Windows Vista). Be sure to do this, as it’s important in the next step.
3) Open “My Network Places” and click on the MyDisk icon you created in step 2.
4) You will see two folders in your MyDisk space: “backup” and “webpage”. Right-click any whitespace and create a new folder called “user” (without quotes). Double-click on that folder and create a new folder inside that one named after your MyDisk user name. For example, if your MyDisk name is “jsmith”, then you should have a folder called “user” with another folder inside that called “jsmith”.
5) Click the Weave icon in the Firefox status bar (if you haven’t installed Weave already, now would be the time to do so). Choose “Preferences”.
6) On the “Advanced” tab, change the “Server Location” from https://services.mozilla.com/ to https://mydisk.se/USERNAME/, where USERNAME is your MyDisk user name. Don’t forget the trailing slash - it’s important!
7) Log in to Weave using your MyDisk username and password.
You’ll be amazed at how much faster Weave performs on the new server. In fact, where my previous synchs with Mozilla servers could take up to 10 minutes, my entire first sync with MyDisk took only around 4 minutes (and the first sync takes longer that most, because all of your information has to be sent, whereas only changes are sent in subsequent synchs).
For those of your wondering about security, all of your information is encrypted by Firefox before it leaves your computer, so all that’s sitting on MyDisk’s servers are a few encrypted files. I suppose that the MyDisk people could buy a few dozens servers and try to hack the encryption for it… but why would they?
With thanks to jimcofer.com
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2758 Active Users (635 Members and 2123 Guests)
- › [Official] Screenshot of Your Games Thread 24 seconds ago
- › [anandtech] AMD warns on Q2 2015 earnings 37 seconds ago
- › need a x99 that will support dual sli for gtx 980 ti and intel... 51 seconds ago
- › [Build Log] X2M ARRIVED: Alriana, X99 ITX, Titan X, Nova X2M,... 52 seconds ago
- › Best GPU for video editing? 54 seconds ago
- › CPU hitting 100% on all games (i5 4690k) help! 1 minute ago
- › [Various] R7 & R9 300 series reviews 1 minute ago
- › Easier way to get qualified for OC marketplace? 1 minute ago
- › Is it possible for windows 10 preview to brick my motherboard bios? 1 minute ago
- › [MW] Apple Watch Sales Plunge 90%. 1 minute ago
- › Phanteks Enthoo Evolv iTX Case, No Window PH-ES215PC_BK Black by Dimensive
- › Swiftech Helix 120mm x 25mm Z-Bearing Fan - 1800 RPM (HELIX-120-BW) by 1Quickchic
- › Supermicro S5 Gaming chassis by Hukkel
- › Phobya Phobya DC12-220 12Volt Pump by PinzaC55
- › GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 ATX Intel Motherboard by mxfreek09
- › Fractal Design Core 1000 by mxfreek09
- › GIGABYTE Radeon R9 270X Video Card by mxfreek09
- › Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Dual-Core Processor, 2.66 GHZ, 4M L2 Cache,... by modernsonicfan
- › Asus ROG Enthusiast SLI Bridge [2-WAY] tune-up parts for... by Wihglah
- › BitFenix Aegis by MisterNoisy
- › The Witcher 3 v1.06 - Performance Test
- › How To - Fix Intel CPU + Geforce GTX SLI -...
- › The GTX 780 TI SLI - End of Life -...
- › I need some help with Overclock
- › How to raid 0 on 2 x SSD or 2 x HDD as...
- › Overclocking Ram - Crucial Ballistix Sport...
- › The Big VR Face-Off
- › Kingston Hyper X Fury Black 2x8GB 1600mhz Cl10
- › A collection of thoughts about graphics cards...
- › Intel Haswell CPU review - Core i7 4790K,...