In case you just wandered in here thinking 'this place looks nice.. if a bit weird'
This is.. OCN.. OVERCLOCK.NET.. here people usually talk about computers.. computer building and much more!
Perhaps you thought Computer Building might be your kind of thing, but also thought it was 'not for the faint hearted'.. well, like anything
no one expects you to know everything on the first day..it takes time. And as this is a hobby you can learn as little or as much as you like.. no need to keep up with the trends if something is no longer fun!.. I myself.. used a program called Virtualbox for many years and enjoyed it, when I stopped enjoying it, i stopped using it. yes.
So without further 'a-do'.. here are the basics.
a computer has 9 main components
a Computer Case
a Power Supply Unit (PSU)
a Motherboard (Mobo)
a Central Processing Unit (CPU)
a Random Access Memory (RAM)
a Graphics Card (GPU)
a Hard Disk Drive, also known as a Solid State Drive (HDD or SSD)
a CD Drive, known as an Optical Drive, can also be for DVD's.
Some cooling fans.
The cooling fans are for the computer to stay cool, computers hate heat and do not like to be in an enclosed space.. think of a hot day and you have left the car windows shut and put something valuable upon the dash in the sun.. in this case the valuable things are the insides of your computer.
a computer has some minor components (parts)
a PC Powercable
a DVI or HDMI cable
and a Screen.. which is a monitor or TV.
the main components fit together like jigsaw, you put parts in slots like you would a kind of puzzle game. all except the hard drive and the optical drive which are fitted instead to the case.
the parts need to match each other, which is a more complicated thing to learn.. but don't worry! buying bundles on eBay helps you get started.. like most people on here.. myself included, I sometimes buy bundles. and of course, once you have a bundle, a case and PSU, the parts above, OCN members are always here to help.
On a side note, I am seeing more and more female members around. OCN is NOT a men only club
IF YOU THINK YOU CAN DO IT.. we do too!
This is an introduction to a series of 3 lessons I will be giving.
*(in the programming subforum)
Lesson 1: http://www.overclock.net/a/how-on-earth-do-i-build-a-computer-lesson-1
Lesson 2: http://www.overclock.net/a/how-on-earth-do-i-build-a-computer-lesson-2
Lesson 3: http://www.overclock.net/a/how-on-earth-do-i-build-a-computer-final-lesson-3
A big thanks to guero810. all credit for the pics go to him.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2259 Active Users (384 Members and 1875 Guests)
- › Xeon 2011 v3 work on x99 it seem 6 core 1.6ghz 250$+ 2 minutes ago
- › [Gamespot] Need For Speed Will Require An Online Connection 3 minutes ago
- › GTX 970 Comparison: STRIX vs MSI Gaming vs Gigabyte G1 4 minutes ago
- › [Official] Nintendo 3DS Discussion/Club Thread 4 minutes ago
- › 3970x, 4960x, Rampage IV Red, Rampage IV Black, Gskill Trident... 5 minutes ago
- › [Official] Nvidia GeForce GTX TITAN X Owners Club 5 minutes ago
- › [Official] Nintendo Wii U Owners Club 6 minutes ago
- › [EVGA] EVGA Adds Full 980 Ti Lineup to their Picture Database 8 minutes ago
- › Novice Nimble #2 - Calling all OCN Novices! 9 minutes ago
- › [Official] The Witcher 3 Information & Discussion Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Razer RZ02-00211600-R3M1 Goliathus Extended Mouse Pad-Control by obikenobi27
- › Corsair CC-9011048-WW Carbide Series Air 540 White (CC-9011048-WW) by obikenobi27
- › Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor by thesuperegoist
- › Klipsch R6i Black In-Ear Headphone with Patented Oval Tip (Black) by Nfsdude0125
- › Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V Black Nickel CPU Cooler with 120mm... by raisethe3
- › Intel Core i5-2550K Processor 3.4 4 LGA 1155 BX80623I52550K by raisethe3
- › FinalMouse 2015 by FrankWmof
- › AeroCool Vs-3 Advance Mid-Tower Gaming Case by gasparspeed
- › G.SKILL NS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3... by Elektro
- › Mayhems Biocide Extreme by NewUser16
- › CPU Overclocking - ASUS K52JU
- › The Big VR Face-Off
- › Kingston Hyper X Fury Black 2x8GB 1600mhz Cl10
- › loading sound card into PCIe Slot
- › A collection of thoughts about graphics cards...
- › Intel Haswell CPU review - Core i7 4790K,...
- › Seasonic Fanless PSU Noise
- › The Minecraft Server "Ok" Minimum
- › nVidia/AMD Graphics Cards BSOD 116/1033 Fix |...
- › To built a 4k monitor gaming rig - what type...