In case you just wandered in here thinking 'this place looks nice.. if a bit weird'
This is.. OCN.. OVERCLOCK.NET.. here people usually talk about computers.. computer building and much more!
Perhaps you thought Computer Building might be your kind of thing, but also thought it was 'not for the faint hearted'.. well, like anything
no one expects you to know everything on the first day..it takes time. And as this is a hobby you can learn as little or as much as you like.. no need to keep up with the trends if something is no longer fun!.. I myself.. used a program called Virtualbox for many years and enjoyed it, when I stopped enjoying it, i stopped using it. yes.
So without further 'a-do'.. here are the basics.
a computer has 9 main components
a Computer Case
a Power Supply Unit (PSU)
a Motherboard (Mobo)
a Central Processing Unit (CPU)
a Random Access Memory (RAM)
a Graphics Card (GPU)
a Hard Disk Drive, also known as a Solid State Drive (HDD or SSD)
a CD Drive, known as an Optical Drive, can also be for DVD's.
Some cooling fans.
The cooling fans are for the computer to stay cool, computers hate heat and do not like to be in an enclosed space.. think of a hot day and you have left the car windows shut and put something valuable upon the dash in the sun.. in this case the valuable things are the insides of your computer.
a computer has some minor components (parts)
a PC Powercable
a DVI or HDMI cable
and a Screen.. which is a monitor or TV.
the main components fit together like jigsaw, you put parts in slots like you would a kind of puzzle game. all except the hard drive and the optical drive which are fitted instead to the case.
the parts need to match each other, which is a more complicated thing to learn.. but don't worry! buying bundles on eBay helps you get started.. like most people on here.. myself included, I sometimes buy bundles. and of course, once you have a bundle, a case and PSU, the parts above, OCN members are always here to help.
On a side note, I am seeing more and more female members around. OCN is NOT a men only club
IF YOU THINK YOU CAN DO IT.. we do too!
This is an introduction to a series of 3 lessons I will be giving.
*(in the programming subforum)
Lesson 1: http://www.overclock.net/a/how-on-earth-do-i-build-a-computer-lesson-1
Lesson 2: http://www.overclock.net/a/how-on-earth-do-i-build-a-computer-lesson-2
Lesson 3: http://www.overclock.net/a/how-on-earth-do-i-build-a-computer-final-lesson-3
A big thanks to guero810. all credit for the pics go to him.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2205 Active Users (343 Members and 1862 Guests)
- › [BGR] Streaming illegal movies is now as simple as watching Netflix 5 minutes ago
- › Why you should probably not buy a CLC cooler 6 minutes ago
- › [Build Log] Project Circuit - Watercooled Define S 7 minutes ago
- › [Official] 5GHz Overclock Club 8 minutes ago
- › CableMod individually paracord braided PSU cables 8 minutes ago
- › [OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club 10 minutes ago
- › 320 GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue Notebook HDD 10 minutes ago
- › EK-Predator Club & Discussion Thread 10 minutes ago
- › [Youtube] Need for Speed - PC Reveal 11 minutes ago
- › owners: Crossover 434K | 494K - 10Bit IPS 4K UHD DP 60Hz 43" | 49"... 11 minutes ago
- › BenQ XL2730Z 144Hz 1ms 27 inch Gaming Monitor with High Resolution... by Steeps5
- › Phanteks 850RPM Case Fan Blades 20030mm Fan Retail Cooling... by MadjinnSayan
- › Swiftech H240-X CPU Liquid Cooling Kit by Nick-F
- › Lamptron Fan Controller FC-5 Black Version 2, Changeable Display... by Ultisym
- › TR TY-147 140 mm, 2 ball bearing fan, low noise emission. by MadjinnSayan
- › AeroCool Shark 140mm Case cooler by Alastair
- › BitFenix Spectre Pro BFF-LPRO-23030B-RP Blue LED Case Fan by Alastair
- › HD 429S - Headset ( Ohrenschale ) by obikenobi27
- › AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ Eight-Core Desktop... by MatthewGB
- › CORSAIR CX600M 600W Power Supply by MatthewGB
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency
- › Multi Tasking on Intel Haswell CPU's
- › Intel Hyper Threading - Performance Scaling...
- › Intel Core i3 vs Core i5 vs Core i7: Gaming...
- › The Witcher 3 v1.08 - Performance Test
- › Overclock Labs - Community Review Program...
- › P5K-VM chassis intrusion hardware fix