In case you just wandered in here thinking 'this place looks nice.. if a bit weird'
This is.. OCN.. OVERCLOCK.NET.. here people usually talk about computers.. computer building and much more!
Perhaps you thought Computer Building might be your kind of thing, but also thought it was 'not for the faint hearted'.. well, like anything
no one expects you to know everything on the first day..it takes time. And as this is a hobby you can learn as little or as much as you like.. no need to keep up with the trends if something is no longer fun!.. I myself.. used a program called Virtualbox for many years and enjoyed it, when I stopped enjoying it, i stopped using it. yes.
So without further 'a-do'.. here are the basics.
a computer has 9 main components
a Computer Case
a Power Supply Unit (PSU)
a Motherboard (Mobo)
a Central Processing Unit (CPU)
a Random Access Memory (RAM)
a Graphics Card (GPU)
a Hard Disk Drive, also known as a Solid State Drive (HDD or SSD)
a CD Drive, known as an Optical Drive, can also be for DVD's.
Some cooling fans.
The cooling fans are for the computer to stay cool, computers hate heat and do not like to be in an enclosed space.. think of a hot day and you have left the car windows shut and put something valuable upon the dash in the sun.. in this case the valuable things are the insides of your computer.
a computer has some minor components (parts)
a PC Powercable
a DVI or HDMI cable
and a Screen.. which is a monitor or TV.
the main components fit together like jigsaw, you put parts in slots like you would a kind of puzzle game. all except the hard drive and the optical drive which are fitted instead to the case.
the parts need to match each other, which is a more complicated thing to learn.. but don't worry! buying bundles on eBay helps you get started.. like most people on here.. myself included, I sometimes buy bundles. and of course, once you have a bundle, a case and PSU, the parts above, OCN members are always here to help.
On a side note, I am seeing more and more female members around. OCN is NOT a men only club
IF YOU THINK YOU CAN DO IT.. we do too!
This is an introduction to a series of 3 lessons I will be giving.
*(in the programming subforum)
Lesson 1: http://www.overclock.net/a/how-on-earth-do-i-build-a-computer-lesson-1
Lesson 2: http://www.overclock.net/a/how-on-earth-do-i-build-a-computer-lesson-2
Lesson 3: http://www.overclock.net/a/how-on-earth-do-i-build-a-computer-final-lesson-3
A big thanks to guero810. all credit for the pics go to him.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2568 Active Users (371 Members and 2197 Guests)
- › [Various] AMD's Zen To Have 10 Pipelines Per Core - Details Leaked... 6 seconds ago
- › Retrieving Deleted .NSF File 22 seconds ago
- › Playing with my Seiki se39uy04. Got it to do 1440p at 60hz. ... 2 minutes ago
- › How To Unlock The System BIOS On An ASUS G75VX | nVidia GTX 670MX... 3 minutes ago
- › [Official] MSI X99S/A Motherboard Owners Club 4 minutes ago
- › [Various] ASUS debuts ROG SWIFT PG279Q 144hz IPS and G-SYNC 4 minutes ago
- › EK releases monoblock for ASUS MAXIMUS VIII motherboards 4 minutes ago
- › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 970 Owner's Club 6 minutes ago
- › Value RAM overclock findings 7 minutes ago
- › BenQ XR3501: 35" 144hz Curved Ultrawide-Owners club 7 minutes ago
- › EGDE 101 by Maximillion
- › MSI Computer ATX DDR4 Motherboard Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION by topdog
- › Cooler Master: Silencio FP 120 PWM by DaveLT
- › Gigabyte GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD -GTX970 4GB DDR5 256Bit PCI Express... by amd-dude
- › Crucial MX100 256GB SATA 2.5" SSD by amd-dude
- › G303 Daedalus Apex by Frenchy
- › Bluetooth Headphones COULAX V4.1 Magneto by 8bitG33k
- › Thermaltake Core V51 Computer Case CA-1C6-00M1WN-00 Black by skypine27
- › Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (920-006385) by Nfsdude0125
- › In Wins 805. Front and back tempered glass panels by Duality92
- › good essays : Syscooling BC1 antminer water...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency
- › Multi Tasking on Intel Haswell CPU's
- › Intel Hyper Threading - Performance Scaling...
- › Intel Core i3 vs Core i5 vs Core i7: Gaming...
- › The Witcher 3 v1.08 - Performance Test
- › Overclock Labs - Community Review Program...
- › P5K-VM chassis intrusion hardware fix
- › overcloking gtx 770 lightning