In case you just wandered in here thinking 'this place looks nice.. if a bit weird'
This is.. OCN.. OVERCLOCK.NET.. here people usually talk about computers.. computer building and much more!
Perhaps you thought Computer Building might be your kind of thing, but also thought it was 'not for the faint hearted'.. well, like anything
no one expects you to know everything on the first day..it takes time. And as this is a hobby you can learn as little or as much as you like.. no need to keep up with the trends if something is no longer fun!.. I myself.. used a program called Virtualbox for many years and enjoyed it, when I stopped enjoying it, i stopped using it. yes.
So without further 'a-do'.. here are the basics.
a computer has 9 main components
a Computer Case
a Power Supply Unit (PSU)
a Motherboard (Mobo)
a Central Processing Unit (CPU)
a Random Access Memory (RAM)
a Graphics Card (GPU)
a Hard Disk Drive, also known as a Solid State Drive (HDD or SSD)
a CD Drive, known as an Optical Drive, can also be for DVD's.
Some cooling fans.
The cooling fans are for the computer to stay cool, computers hate heat and do not like to be in an enclosed space.. think of a hot day and you have left the car windows shut and put something valuable upon the dash in the sun.. in this case the valuable things are the insides of your computer.
a computer has some minor components (parts)
a PC Powercable
a DVI or HDMI cable
and a Screen.. which is a monitor or TV.
the main components fit together like jigsaw, you put parts in slots like you would a kind of puzzle game. all except the hard drive and the optical drive which are fitted instead to the case.
the parts need to match each other, which is a more complicated thing to learn.. but don't worry! buying bundles on eBay helps you get started.. like most people on here.. myself included, I sometimes buy bundles. and of course, once you have a bundle, a case and PSU, the parts above, OCN members are always here to help.
On a side note, I am seeing more and more female members around. OCN is NOT a men only club
IF YOU THINK YOU CAN DO IT.. we do too!
This is an introduction to a series of 3 lessons I will be giving.
*(in the programming subforum)
Lesson 1: http://www.overclock.net/a/how-on-earth-do-i-build-a-computer-lesson-1
Lesson 2: http://www.overclock.net/a/how-on-earth-do-i-build-a-computer-lesson-2
Lesson 3: http://www.overclock.net/a/how-on-earth-do-i-build-a-computer-final-lesson-3
A big thanks to guero810. all credit for the pics go to him.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 3351 Active Users (823 Members and 2528 Guests)
- › Nvidia Shadowplay Discussion Thread (Microphone recording feature... 7 seconds ago
- › [TV] Valve Engineer Invents New Game Controllers For Your Tongue... 11 seconds ago
- › what could be wrong ? bios not coming up? 17 seconds ago
- › [Official] BitCoin LiteCoin DigitalCoin And all crypto currencies... 22 seconds ago
- › Phanteks Enthoo Primo Owner's Club 33 seconds ago
- › [Gigabyte] R9 270X 4GB hinted, coming soon 54 seconds ago
- › [OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club 1 minute ago
- › Ask your questions here! Get 'em answered by me ;) 1 minute ago
- › [DailyMail] Bitcoin in freefall: Value of virtual currency dropping... 1 minute ago
- › [PG] DICE halts development of all future projects as it shifts... 1 minute ago
- › Evga SuperNOVA 1000 G2 by Archea47
- › Amped Wireless High Power 700mW Dual Band AC Wi-Fi Range Extender... by WilliamGayde
- › CASE ROSEWILL / BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case by ricwoodard
- › Rosewill REDBONE Black Computer Case by Algorithm
- › GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 660 GV-N660OC-2GD Video Card by djthrottleboi
- › OCZ Technology 60 GB Vertex 3 Series SATA III 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch... by Blue Dragon
- › Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R1) by himwhoscalledim
- › Corsair Carbide Series 200R Computer Case by himwhoscalledim
- › COOLER MASTER USA RR-T612-20PK-R1 TPC 612 HEAT SINK INTEL LGA... by damric
- › ASRock Micro ATX DDR2 1066 AM2.AM3 Motherboard (960GC-GS FX) by ViR-tUaL
- › H2O vs. LN2 by Slinky PC
- › Optimal Placement for Your Rig by twistedspace
- › Chat over LAN without cmd using LAN Messenger. by agentoo7
- › Posting Guidelines for Hardware, Vendor, and... by Chipp
- › fan control modding by Dalbaa
- › Why Bonaire is overrated and R7-260X is a... by AlphaC
- › Estimating Fan requirements (draft) by AlphaC
- › Rate My Build by mezzi2010
- › DRAFT : R9 290X compute & workstation by AlphaC
- › Moodle Setup by RUprosprng