In case you just wandered in here thinking 'this place looks nice.. if a bit weird'
This is.. OCN.. OVERCLOCK.NET.. here people usually talk about computers.. computer building and much more!
Perhaps you thought Computer Building might be your kind of thing, but also thought it was 'not for the faint hearted'.. well, like anything
no one expects you to know everything on the first day..it takes time. And as this is a hobby you can learn as little or as much as you like.. no need to keep up with the trends if something is no longer fun!.. I myself.. used a program called Virtualbox for many years and enjoyed it, when I stopped enjoying it, i stopped using it. yes.
So without further 'a-do'.. here are the basics.
a computer has 9 main components
a Computer Case
a Power Supply Unit (PSU)
a Motherboard (Mobo)
a Central Processing Unit (CPU)
a Random Access Memory (RAM)
a Graphics Card (GPU)
a Hard Disk Drive, also known as a Solid State Drive (HDD or SSD)
a CD Drive, known as an Optical Drive, can also be for DVD's.
Some cooling fans.
The cooling fans are for the computer to stay cool, computers hate heat and do not like to be in an enclosed space.. think of a hot day and you have left the car windows shut and put something valuable upon the dash in the sun.. in this case the valuable things are the insides of your computer.
a computer has some minor components (parts)
a PC Powercable
a DVI or HDMI cable
and a Screen.. which is a monitor or TV.
the main components fit together like jigsaw, you put parts in slots like you would a kind of puzzle game. all except the hard drive and the optical drive which are fitted instead to the case.
the parts need to match each other, which is a more complicated thing to learn.. but don't worry! buying bundles on eBay helps you get started.. like most people on here.. myself included, I sometimes buy bundles. and of course, once you have a bundle, a case and PSU, the parts above, OCN members are always here to help.
On a side note, I am seeing more and more female members around. OCN is NOT a men only club
IF YOU THINK YOU CAN DO IT.. we do too!
This is an introduction to a series of 3 lessons I will be giving.
*(in the programming subforum)
Lesson 1: http://www.overclock.net/a/how-on-earth-do-i-build-a-computer-lesson-1
Lesson 2: http://www.overclock.net/a/how-on-earth-do-i-build-a-computer-lesson-2
Lesson 3: http://www.overclock.net/a/how-on-earth-do-i-build-a-computer-final-lesson-3
A big thanks to guero810. all credit for the pics go to him.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2343 Active Users (573 Members and 1770 Guests)
- › AMD No longer a viable option for mid-high end? 37 seconds ago
- › 7950 or 780 sc ? 47 seconds ago
- › Rate the photo above you. 2 minutes ago
- › [Official] EVGA 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Owner's Club 2 minutes ago
- › [TPU] ASUS Reveals the ROG MATRIX R9 290X and MATRIX GTX 780 Ti... 2 minutes ago
- › CM 212 hyper evo problem 2 minutes ago
- › [Official] BitCoin LiteCoin DigitalCoin And all crypto currencies... 2 minutes ago
- › Any case can fit 3 radiator ? 2 minutes ago
- › [Kotaku] Surprisingly Real Talk From A Top Man At EA 3 minutes ago
- › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club 4 minutes ago
- › MSI Z77 MPOWER Optimized DDR3 2133 16GB Kit (4 x 4GB) Quad Channel... by PROBN4LYFE
- › SteelSeries 9H Gaming Headset for PC, Mac, and Mobile Devices by Totally Dubbed
- › SteelSeries Siberia Elite Headset with Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound... by WilliamGayde
- › Diablotek DA Series PSDA400 400W Power Supply by buzzbuzzbuzz
- › 120GB SSDNOW V300 SATA 3 2.5 W/ADAPTER by buzzbuzzbuzz
- › Leopold FC200RR/AB Tenkeyless Linear Touch by Darin
- › VIZIO S4251w-B4 5.1 Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer (Black, Set of 4) by Jolly Roger
- › AMD CPU HDZ955FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz AM3... by bassman78
- › ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1ms (GTG) Widescreen LED Backlight LCD... by xploda92
- › BIOSTAR A88M Ver. 6.2 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail by kosynth
- › Calculating Power Savings from a Platinum PSU by AlphaC
- › EVGA Hadron Air Chassis - Tips &... by Coreda
- › AMD Mantle, CPU Bottlenecks, CPU Limitations,... by RagingCain
- › [Op-ed/Opinion] Why AMD needs an R9 280 or R9... by AlphaC
- › Qosmio x70-75 Overheating Solutions by Arizonian
- › How to maintain and properly setup an SSD in... by Rookie1337
- › How to get the best sound with and properly... by Rookie1337
- › H2O vs. LN2 by Slinky PC
- › Optimal Placement for Your Rig by twistedspace
- › Posting Guidelines for Hardware, Vendor, and... by Chipp