In case you just wandered in here thinking 'this place looks nice.. if a bit weird'
This is.. OCN.. OVERCLOCK.NET.. here people usually talk about computers.. computer building and much more!
Perhaps you thought Computer Building might be your kind of thing, but also thought it was 'not for the faint hearted'.. well, like anything
no one expects you to know everything on the first day..it takes time. And as this is a hobby you can learn as little or as much as you like.. no need to keep up with the trends if something is no longer fun!.. I myself.. used a program called Virtualbox for many years and enjoyed it, when I stopped enjoying it, i stopped using it. yes.
So without further 'a-do'.. here are the basics.
a computer has 9 main components
a Computer Case
a Power Supply Unit (PSU)
a Motherboard (Mobo)
a Central Processing Unit (CPU)
a Random Access Memory (RAM)
a Graphics Card (GPU)
a Hard Disk Drive, also known as a Solid State Drive (HDD or SSD)
a CD Drive, known as an Optical Drive, can also be for DVD's.
Some cooling fans.
The cooling fans are for the computer to stay cool, computers hate heat and do not like to be in an enclosed space.. think of a hot day and you have left the car windows shut and put something valuable upon the dash in the sun.. in this case the valuable things are the insides of your computer.
a computer has some minor components (parts)
a PC Powercable
a DVI or HDMI cable
and a Screen.. which is a monitor or TV.
the main components fit together like jigsaw, you put parts in slots like you would a kind of puzzle game. all except the hard drive and the optical drive which are fitted instead to the case.
the parts need to match each other, which is a more complicated thing to learn.. but don't worry! buying bundles on eBay helps you get started.. like most people on here.. myself included, I sometimes buy bundles. and of course, once you have a bundle, a case and PSU, the parts above, OCN members are always here to help.
On a side note, I am seeing more and more female members around. OCN is NOT a men only club
IF YOU THINK YOU CAN DO IT.. we do too!
This is an introduction to a series of 3 lessons I will be giving.
*(in the programming subforum)
Lesson 1: http://www.overclock.net/a/how-on-earth-do-i-build-a-computer-lesson-1
Lesson 2: http://www.overclock.net/a/how-on-earth-do-i-build-a-computer-lesson-2
Lesson 3: http://www.overclock.net/a/how-on-earth-do-i-build-a-computer-final-lesson-3
A big thanks to guero810. all credit for the pics go to him.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2713 Active Users (730 Members and 1983 Guests)
- › [Official] EVGA Classified Owner's Club 17 seconds ago
- › Top CINEBENCH R15 CPU Scores 40 seconds ago
- › [Official] ** PHANTEKS Enthoo Primo Owner's Club ** 48 seconds ago
- › [OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club 49 seconds ago
- › OCN Water Cooling Club And Picture Gallery 1 minute ago
- › [VC] NVIDIA preparing Maxwell GM204 and Kepler GK210 GPUs 1 minute ago
- › Nvidia GeForce GTX TITAN Owners' club 1 minute ago
- › [Official] AMD R9 295X2 Owners Club 2 minutes ago
- › [OFFICIAL] GTX 660 (NON TI) Owners Club. 2 minutes ago
- › Worth the upgrade? 2 minutes ago
- › Audioengine D1 24-bit digital-to-audio converter by WilliamGayde
- › Nzxt Phantom 410 CA-PH410-B1 White Computer Case With Side Panel... by TheSilentBang81
- › Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal... by GorbazTheDragon
- › CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD Pure Sine Wave UPS (1500VA/900W) by Dantrax
- › i-Rocks KR-6820E-WH White 104 Key USB Wired Backlit Gaming Keyboard... by Dantrax
- › CORSAIR AX860i 860W Power Supply by jojoharalds
- › Logitech G500s by Woolley
- › Crucial M500 120GB SATA mSATA Internal Solid State Drive CT120M500SSD3 by seepra
- › CRUCIAL M500 240GB 2.5" SATA SSD by orlfman
- › Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - Full Version by Haydius
- › overclocking kingston and ranscend rams by yakamaster
- › What I expect from Nvidia's Maxwell -... by AlphaC
- › mmm...my old graphiccard ... trow it, no... by Kam3760
- › Move your My Documents folder to another... by DMills
- › Calculating Power Savings from a Platinum PSU by AlphaC
- › EVGA Hadron Air Chassis - Tips &... by Coreda
- › AMD Mantle, CPU Bottlenecks, CPU Limitations,... by RagingCain
- › [Op-ed/Opinion] Why AMD needs an R9 280 or R9... by AlphaC
- › Qosmio x70-75 Overheating Solutions by Arizonian
- › How to maintain and properly setup an SSD in... by Rookie1337