NOTE: This guide was written for Windows 7 users for the purpose of being able to write down BSOD error codes you may be receiving.
1. Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.
2. Click on System and Security.
3. Click on System.
4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced System Settings.
5. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on Settings.
6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.
7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.
8. Click OK in the System Properties window.
9. You can now close the System window.
From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears which will give you time to write down any error codes you may receive.
Common BSOD error codes and possible solutions can be found here.
Gear mentioned in this article:
Related Forum Threads
- [SP] Microsoft to Let Windows 7 Die Quicker than Windows XP Last post on 11/4/13 at 5:21am in Software News
- Windows7: Most useful tool ever for hardware changes, no need to reinstall Last post on 4/14/14 at 4:04pm in General Processor Discussions
- 10 - 20 minutes after fresh boot, significant performance loss. tomshardware and steam... Last post on 1/22/15 at 3:22pm in PC Gaming
- Need help , regarding windows7/gpu/ssds and sleep mode Last post on 6/13/14 at 6:06am in Intel - General
- Crucial M4 Showing Full, But not? Last post on 6/12/14 at 11:53am in SSD
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2547 Active Users (421 Members and 2126 Guests)
- › i7 6700K not overclocking without turbo 27 seconds ago
- › ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread 1 minute ago
- › New guy here 3 minutes ago
- › What part of a VRM should I cool? 3 minutes ago
- › [Build Log] Generic Water Cooling Build v1.1 - Parvum M1.0 4 minutes ago
- › [FB/BR] Tesla Becomes Most Valuable US Automaker. You Can't Afford... 4 minutes ago
- › Upcoming HDR monitors 7 minutes ago
- › Spray painting network switch. 7 minutes ago
- › Polaris Bios Editing ( RX5xx / RX4xx ) 7 minutes ago
- › *OFFICIAL* Parvum Systems Owners Club 8 minutes ago
- › Kanto YU4 Powered Speakers with Bluetooth and Phono Preamp - Gloss... by SightUp
- › Gigabyte XTREME Gaming Mouse (GM-XM300) by orlahirish
- › Superlux HD 681 Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones by raisethe3
- › Logitech G Pro Gaming FPS Mouse with Advanced Gaming Sensor for... by raisethe3
- › AMD YD1700BBAEBOX Ryzen 7 1700 Processor with Wraith Spire LED Cooler by bluedevil
- › Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical 1.1A by 1n5aN1aC
- › DIYPC Alpha-GT3 Bench Computer Case by rediornot
- › Thermaltake Riing Plus 12 RGB Tt Premium Edition 120mm Software... by Jedson3614
- › Logitech G533 Wireless DTS 7.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset... by Jedson3614
- › Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Computer Case - Tempered Glass Edition,... by AyyMD
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency
- › Multi Tasking on Intel Haswell CPU's