NOTE: This guide was written for Windows 7 users for the purpose of being able to write down BSOD error codes you may be receiving.
1. Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.
2. Click on System and Security.
3. Click on System.
4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced System Settings.
5. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on Settings.
6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.
7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.
8. Click OK in the System Properties window.
9. You can now close the System window.
From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears which will give you time to write down any error codes you may receive.
Common BSOD error codes and possible solutions can be found here.
Gear mentioned in this article:
Related Forum Threads
- [SP] Microsoft to Let Windows 7 Die Quicker than Windows XP Last post on 11/4/13 at 5:21am in Software News
- Windows7: Most useful tool ever for hardware changes, no need to reinstall Last post on 4/14/14 at 4:04pm in General Processor Discussions
- 10 - 20 minutes after fresh boot, significant performance loss. tomshardware and steam... Last post on 1/22/15 at 3:22pm in PC Gaming
- Need help , regarding windows7/gpu/ssds and sleep mode Last post on 6/13/14 at 6:06am in Intel - General
- Crucial M4 Showing Full, But not? Last post on 6/12/14 at 11:53am in SSD
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 3212 Active Users (673 Members and 2539 Guests)
- › [Build Log] PowerMac G5 Mod 37 seconds ago
- › [wccf] GTX 980 Ti Will Retail for $799 MSRP – EVGA Lineup Pricing... 39 seconds ago
- › Wife's computer suddenly will not connect to secure sites 1 minute ago
- › [videocardz] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti performance benchmarks 1 minute ago
- › [Gamespot] Need For Speed Will Require An Online Connection 1 minute ago
- › == Haswell-E Overclock Leaderboard & Owners Club == 1 minute ago
- › [Official] OCN Camera Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Acer XB270HU 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync IPS ULMB Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › New member, long time lurker 5 minutes ago
- › [Official] The Witcher 3 Information & Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Razer RZ02-00211600-R3M1 Goliathus Extended Mouse Pad-Control by obikenobi27
- › Corsair CC-9011048-WW Carbide Series Air 540 White (CC-9011048-WW) by obikenobi27
- › Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor by thesuperegoist
- › Klipsch R6i Black In-Ear Headphone with Patented Oval Tip (Black) by Nfsdude0125
- › Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V Black Nickel CPU Cooler with 120mm... by raisethe3
- › Intel Core i5-2550K Processor 3.4 4 LGA 1155 BX80623I52550K by raisethe3
- › FinalMouse 2015 by FrankWmof
- › AeroCool Vs-3 Advance Mid-Tower Gaming Case by gasparspeed
- › G.SKILL NS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3... by Elektro
- › Mayhems Biocide Extreme by NewUser16
- › CPU Overclocking - ASUS K52JU
- › The Big VR Face-Off
- › Kingston Hyper X Fury Black 2x8GB 1600mhz Cl10
- › loading sound card into PCIe Slot
- › A collection of thoughts about graphics cards...
- › Intel Haswell CPU review - Core i7 4790K,...
- › Seasonic Fanless PSU Noise
- › The Minecraft Server "Ok" Minimum
- › nVidia/AMD Graphics Cards BSOD 116/1033 Fix |...
- › To built a 4k monitor gaming rig - what type...