NOTE: This guide was written for Windows 7 users for the purpose of being able to write down BSOD error codes you may be receiving.
1. Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.
2. Click on System and Security.
3. Click on System.
4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced System Settings.
5. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on Settings.
6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.
7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.
8. Click OK in the System Properties window.
9. You can now close the System window.
From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears which will give you time to write down any error codes you may receive.
Common BSOD error codes and possible solutions can be found here.
Gear mentioned in this article:
Related Forum Threads
- [SP] Microsoft to Let Windows 7 Die Quicker than Windows XP Last post on 11/4/13 at 5:21am in Software News
- Windows7: Most useful tool ever for hardware changes, no need to reinstall Last post on 4/14/14 at 4:04pm in General Processor Discussions
- 10 - 20 minutes after fresh boot, significant performance loss. tomshardware and steam... Last post on 1/22/15 at 3:22pm in PC Gaming
- Need help , regarding windows7/gpu/ssds and sleep mode Last post on 6/13/14 at 6:06am in Intel - General
- Crucial M4 Showing Full, But not? Last post on 6/12/14 at 11:53am in SSD
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2622 Active Users (539 Members and 2083 Guests)
- › Oxide Developer, “NVIDIA Was Putting Pressure On Us To Disable... 3 seconds ago
- › Where are you buying water cooling parts now? 3 seconds ago
- › [HELP] Overclocking ASUS G75VX (GTX 670MX) 30 seconds ago
- › [Official] Case PHANTEKS Case Club for lovers & owners 33 seconds ago
- › [Official] Diablo III Information and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › R9 390X BIOS for R9 290/290X (Now with stock AND modded voltage... 2 minutes ago
- › Where can I buy a Sapphire 290x 8GB model at? 3 minutes ago
- › [Official] Corsair Carbide Air 540 Owner's Club +Gallery 3 minutes ago
- › [Official] ASUS Crosshair V Formula (990FX) club 4 minutes ago
- › [Various] Ashes of the Singularity DX12 Benchmarks 4 minutes ago
- › Samsung U28E850R 28.0 inch Widescreen 1,000:1 1ms... by Hattifnatten
- › COOLER MASTER HAF X nVidia Edition NV-942-KKN1 Computer Case by wrath04
- › Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Processor by Niobium
- › Cooler Master Nepton 280L - Water Cooling System with Dual JetFlo... by Thetbrett
- › Intel Core i7-960 Processor 3.20 GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1366 by AlienPrime173
- › Microsoft Windows 10 Home | Download by Gregsta
- › Nixeus MODA v2 MK-BL15 Compact Mechanical Keyboard - Blue Switch... by Ramzinho
- › Intel Core i7-870 Processor 2.93 GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1156 by HeadlessKnight
- › Zowie Gear Large Gaming Mouse Pad (G-SR) by Ino.
- › Zowie GTF-X by Ino.
- › Need some help figuring out some sound settings
- › I need help with water cooling on my computer.
- › Overclock Labs - Community Review Program...
- › P5K-VM chassis intrusion hardware fix
- › overcloking gtx 770 lightning
- › Regarding CSGO MouseMovementRecorder
- › Dangerous Things: xNTi NFC Tag Implants
- › Grand Theft Auto V build 393.2 - Performance...
- › The Witcher 3 v1.06 - Performance Test
- › How To - Fix Intel CPU + Geforce GTX SLI -...