NOTE: This guide was written for Windows 7 users for the purpose of being able to write down BSOD error codes you may be receiving.
1. Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.
2. Click on System and Security.
3. Click on System.
4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced System Settings.
5. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on Settings.
6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.
7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.
8. Click OK in the System Properties window.
9. You can now close the System window.
From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears which will give you time to write down any error codes you may receive.
Common BSOD error codes and possible solutions can be found here.
Gear mentioned in this article:
Related Forum Threads
- [SP] Microsoft to Let Windows 7 Die Quicker than Windows XP Last post on 11/4/13 at 5:21am in Software News
- Windows7: Most useful tool ever for hardware changes, no need to reinstall Last post on 4/14/14 at 4:04pm in General Processor Discussions
- 10 - 20 minutes after fresh boot, significant performance loss. tomshardware and steam... Last post on 1/22/15 at 3:22pm in PC Gaming
- Need help , regarding windows7/gpu/ssds and sleep mode Last post on 6/13/14 at 6:06am in Intel - General
- Crucial M4 Showing Full, But not? Last post on 6/12/14 at 11:53am in SSD
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2950 Active Users (608 Members and 2342 Guests)
- › [EA] UPDATE 3: Battlefield (World Premier May 6 at 4PM ET/9PM BST) 2 seconds ago
- › [VC]First GTX 1080 benchmarks! 54 seconds ago
- › OCN Water Cooling Club And Picture Gallery 2 minutes ago
- › First time building 3 minutes ago
- › *For Sale* Dell Inspiron i7559-763BLK 15.6 3 minutes ago
- › OCN Retro - The Overclock.net Retrogaming Club 3 minutes ago
- › [Official] Cooler Master ATCS 840 Owners Club 4 minutes ago
- › [Freebie] iARDAs' Humble Bundle Extravaganza Freebies.... 3 Games... 4 minutes ago
- › [Reddit] New Battlefield cover art appears on Xbox Dashboard 5 minutes ago
- › i5 6600k vs i7-6700k. Which One Do I Need For Gaming? 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-technica ATH A900X by slickwilly
- › Nixeus MODA PRO MK-104BN16 (Kailh Brown Switches) by Duality92
- › Perfect Pixel WASABI MANGO UHD400 REAL 4K HDMI 2.0 40" UHD... by RollerCoaster9
- › Gigabyte XTREME Gaming Mouse (GM-XM300) by 44TZL
- › Alphacool Eisplateau Anti-Static Work- and Mounting Mat, 120x60cm by Ypsylon
- › Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO Open Studio Headphones 250 Ohms by Farih
- › Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800 by SundayGamer
- › Corsair Vengeance M65 Black Wired Laser Gaming Mouse by SundayGamer
- › EK Waterblocks EK-RES X4 250 by Ypsylon
- › Rosewill Gaming Keyboard (RIKB-11003) by Mingan
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency
- › Multi Tasking on Intel Haswell CPU's
- › Intel Hyper Threading - Performance Scaling...
- › Intel Core i3 vs Core i5 vs Core i7: Gaming...
- › The Witcher 3 v1.08 - Performance Test
- › Overclock Labs - Community Review Program...