NOTE: This guide was written for Windows 7 users for the purpose of being able to write down BSOD error codes you may be receiving.
1. Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.
2. Click on System and Security.
3. Click on System.
4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced System Settings.
5. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on Settings.
6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.
7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.
8. Click OK in the System Properties window.
9. You can now close the System window.
From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears which will give you time to write down any error codes you may receive.
Common BSOD error codes and possible solutions can be found here.
Gear mentioned in this article:
Related Forum Threads
- [SP] Microsoft to Let Windows 7 Die Quicker than Windows XP Last post on 11/4/13 at 5:21am in Software News
- Windows7: Most useful tool ever for hardware changes, no need to reinstall Last post on 5/5/13 at 5:53pm in General Processor Discussions
- [Build Log] Prima Last post on Today at 1:01 pm in Intel Build Logs
- Does ThrottleStop overclock my laptop? Last post on 12/11/13 at 5:04pm in Intel CPUs
- Enabling Speedstep on High Performance Power Plan in Windows 7? Last post on 12/4/13 at 9:15pm in Intel CPUs
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2523 Active Users (634 Members and 1889 Guests)
- › ...Of Pedestals & Needing Direction 42 seconds ago
- › [OC3D] MSI R9 290X Lightning Review 52 seconds ago
- › [Various] Subpar visuals in Watch_Dogs Ubisoft Frightened Due to... 1 minute ago
- › [Official] OCN Camera Thread 1 minute ago
- › [Engadget] Watch Dogs release set for May 27th 1 minute ago
- › how to install OS HDD from SSD 1 minute ago
- › HardwareDecoders Mining Farm 2 minutes ago
- › 290 questions 2 minutes ago
- › [WashingtonPost] California bar bans Google Glass, fears recording 2 minutes ago
- › 7950 thermal paste? 3 minutes ago
- › MSI Z77 MPOWER Optimized DDR3 2133 16GB Kit (4 x 4GB) Quad Channel... by PROBN4LYFE
- › SteelSeries 9H Gaming Headset for PC, Mac, and Mobile Devices by Totally Dubbed
- › SteelSeries Siberia Elite Headset with Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound... by WilliamGayde
- › Diablotek DA Series PSDA400 400W Power Supply by buzzbuzzbuzz
- › 120GB SSDNOW V300 SATA 3 2.5 W/ADAPTER by buzzbuzzbuzz
- › Leopold FC200RR/AB Tenkeyless Linear Touch by Darin
- › VIZIO S4251w-B4 5.1 Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer (Black, Set of 4) by Jolly Roger
- › AMD CPU HDZ955FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz AM3... by bassman78
- › ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1ms (GTG) Widescreen LED Backlight LCD... by xploda92
- › BIOSTAR A88M Ver. 6.2 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail by kosynth
- › Hay Day Cheat 2014 For Android iOs by jackmwkams
- › Calculating Power Savings from a Platinum PSU by AlphaC
- › EVGA Hadron Air Chassis - Tips &... by Coreda
- › AMD Mantle, CPU Bottlenecks, CPU Limitations,... by RagingCain
- › [Op-ed/Opinion] Why AMD needs an R9 280 or R9... by AlphaC
- › Qosmio x70-75 Overheating Solutions by Arizonian
- › How to maintain and properly setup an SSD in... by Rookie1337
- › How to get the best sound with and properly... by Rookie1337
- › H2O vs. LN2 by Slinky PC
- › Optimal Placement for Your Rig by twistedspace