NOTE: This guide was written for Windows 7 users for the purpose of being able to write down BSOD error codes you may be receiving.
1. Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.
2. Click on System and Security.
3. Click on System.
4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced System Settings.
5. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on Settings.
6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.
7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.
8. Click OK in the System Properties window.
9. You can now close the System window.
From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears which will give you time to write down any error codes you may receive.
Common BSOD error codes and possible solutions can be found here.
Gear mentioned in this article:
Related Forum Threads
- [SP] Microsoft to Let Windows 7 Die Quicker than Windows XP Last post on 11/4/13 at 5:21am in Software News
- Windows7: Most useful tool ever for hardware changes, no need to reinstall Last post on 4/14/14 at 4:04pm in General Processor Discussions
- 10 - 20 minutes after fresh boot, significant performance loss. tomshardware and steam... Last post on 1/22/15 at 3:22pm in PC Gaming
- Need help , regarding windows7/gpu/ssds and sleep mode Last post on 6/13/14 at 6:06am in Intel - General
- Crucial M4 Showing Full, But not? Last post on 6/12/14 at 11:53am in SSD
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2459 Active Users (529 Members and 1930 Guests)
- › [GS] Gabe Newell: "Valve Will Dump Paid Mods If They're Bad for... 7 seconds ago
- › [Official] Nvidia GeForce GTX TITAN X Owners Club 7 seconds ago
- › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 980 Owner's Club 34 seconds ago
- › [ET] 3TB Seagate Hard Drives Have 43% Failure Rate, According to... 34 seconds ago
- › New 290x question 40 seconds ago
- › [Official] World of Tanks (fun and awesomeness) discussion thread 44 seconds ago
- › Corsair Carbide Air 240 Owner's Club 1 minute ago
- › Post your "ghetto rigging" shenanigans 1 minute ago
- › [Konami] PT(New Silent Hills) being delisted from PSN 2 minutes ago
- › HELP!! Absolutely no clue what to do... 3 minutes ago
- › Dell UltraSharp U2515H 25-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor by Manticorp
- › QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution ll 27" 2560x1440 WQHD PLS (LG IPS)... by Checkm8
- › Biostar TA970 Plus by Undervolter
- › HP ENVY 32-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor Quad-HD by johnadams
- › Corsair K70 RGB Mechanical Keyboard (Cherry MX Red) by 15goudreau
- › Aqua Computer Flow sensor "high flow" G1/4 for aquaero by Artah
- › LEPA Liquid Cooler Cooling LPWAC240-HF by Agent Smith1984
- › AMD FX-8300 FD8300WMW8KHK CPU Processor 3.3GHz (Max 4.2GHz) 8-core... by Agent Smith1984
- › ASRock Fatal1ty 970 Performance AM3+/AM3 Super Alloy Motherboard by Agent Smith1984
- › Philips Fidelio X1/28 Premium Over-Ear Headphones by 8bitG33k
- › A collection of thoughts about graphics cards...
- › Intel Haswell CPU review - Core i7 4790K,...
- › Seasonic Fanless PSU Noise
- › The Minecraft Server "Ok" Minimum
- › nVidia/AMD Graphics Cards BSOD 116/1033 Fix |...
- › To built a 4k monitor gaming rig - what type...
- › What Could Have Been - The PlayStation 4 APU
- › How to Get Linux Ubuntu Working with a GTX970...
- › The 2014 Year In Tech
- › Editors Pick Deals - Black Friday 2014