NOTE: This guide was written for Windows 7 users for the purpose of being able to write down BSOD error codes you may be receiving.
1. Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.
2. Click on System and Security.
3. Click on System.
4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced System Settings.
5. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on Settings.
6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.
7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.
8. Click OK in the System Properties window.
9. You can now close the System window.
From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears which will give you time to write down any error codes you may receive.
Common BSOD error codes and possible solutions can be found here.
Gear mentioned in this article:
Related Forum Threads
- [SP] Microsoft to Let Windows 7 Die Quicker than Windows XP Last post on 11/4/13 at 5:21am in Software News
- Windows7: Most useful tool ever for hardware changes, no need to reinstall Last post on 4/14/14 at 4:04pm in General Processor Discussions
- Need help , regarding windows7/gpu/ssds and sleep mode Last post on 6/13/14 at 6:06am in Intel - General
- Crucial M4 Showing Full, But not? Last post on 6/12/14 at 11:53am in SSD
- Recording Issue with my AverMedia Live Gamer Portable Last post on 5/17/14 at 12:41pm in Other Peripherals
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2674 Active Users (474 Members and 2200 Guests)
- › [tech republic] How much would a Windows 10 subscription cost? 5 seconds ago
- › [Build Log] CM Elite 130 - Thirsty Beast (mfilos Edition) 16 seconds ago
- › MSI R9 295x2 problem 1 minute ago
- › R9 290, low frames in GW2. 1 minute ago
- › [Guru3D] Lian Li Launches O Series Wall-Mountable Chassis 2 minutes ago
- › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 970 Owner's Club 3 minutes ago
- › OCN Water Cooling Club And Picture Gallery 4 minutes ago
- › [build log] Octane Render watercooled workstation ASUS TITAN EKWB... 4 minutes ago
- › Need 6 PWM fans for a Corsair 200R (70€ Max !) 5 minutes ago
- › So 2015 soon. What do you want to see this upcoming year? 5 minutes ago
- › Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Arctic White Silent ATX Mid... by azanimefan
- › CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler by MunchenOC
- › Far Cry 4 by Thready
- › Corsair Commander Mini by aka13
- › Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK by geggeg
- › AOC E1759fwu 17-Inch Class, USB 3.0 Powered, Portable LCD / LED... by WilliamGayde
- › MSI Z97-Gaming 5 ATX Intel Motherboard by MunchenOC
- › ACER 28IN LED 3840X2160 B286HK YMJDPPRZ HDMI DVI BLK 2MS /... by Ironman517
- › Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 CC-9011034-WLED Computer Case by bilbs84
- › EK Waterblocks EK-FC770 GTX - Nickel by bilbs84
- › Editors Pick Deals - Black Friday 2014
- › How to Solder Electronics
- › Broken CM Storm Xornet scroll wheel
- › A Troubling Trend
- › The Truth About FPS
- › My First Case Mod!
- › GPU and CPU power connections
- › A Guide on how to fix Heat Problems
- › [Linux] How to enable backlight control and...
- › How To: Activate a 2012/2012 R2 Virtual Machine