NOTE: This guide was written for Windows 7 users for the purpose of being able to write down BSOD error codes you may be receiving.
1. Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.
2. Click on System and Security.
3. Click on System.
4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced System Settings.
5. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on Settings.
6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.
7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.
8. Click OK in the System Properties window.
9. You can now close the System window.
From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears which will give you time to write down any error codes you may receive.
Common BSOD error codes and possible solutions can be found here.
Gear mentioned in this article:
Related Forum Threads
- [SP] Microsoft to Let Windows 7 Die Quicker than Windows XP Last post on 11/4/13 at 5:21am in Software News
- Windows7: Most useful tool ever for hardware changes, no need to reinstall Last post on 4/14/14 at 4:04pm in General Processor Discussions
- 10 - 20 minutes after fresh boot, significant performance loss. tomshardware and steam... Last post on 1/22/15 at 3:22pm in PC Gaming
- Need help , regarding windows7/gpu/ssds and sleep mode Last post on 6/13/14 at 6:06am in Intel - General
- Crucial M4 Showing Full, But not? Last post on 6/12/14 at 11:53am in SSD
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 3169 Active Users (733 Members and 2436 Guests)
- › [KitGuru] AMD to introduce its Radeon R9 300-series lineup at Computex 39 seconds ago
- › Post Your Server!!! 1 minute ago
- › [PC World]This insane military laser weapon burned a hole through a... 2 minutes ago
- › [Freebie] 5 x Acronis True Image HD 2014 3 minutes ago
- › [Official] Samsung SSD830/840/850 Owners Club 3 minutes ago
- › [Official] Corsair Hydro Series Club 3 minutes ago
- › Thinking about upgrading from my 660ti 3 minutes ago
- › Zowie FK2 is officially announced 4 minutes ago
- › Post your "ghetto rigging" shenanigans 6 minutes ago
- › [The Verge]uTorrent's latest update installs a cryptocurrency miner 6 minutes ago
- › DriveClub (PlayStation 4) by iARDAs
- › Tomb Raider Definitive Ed Ps4 by iARDAs
- › ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition Extended ATX Intel Motherboard by mllkn6
- › Razer Inc. Blade 2014 128GB by ledzepp3
- › Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" SATA Internal Hard Drive... by Nfsdude0125
- › Intel Core i7-4790K Processor- BX80646I74790K by Stream12
- › Sapphire Radeon R9 280X VAPOR-X Video Card by tabascosauz
- › Philips 40" BDM4065UC 4K Monitor by sam66er
- › COOLER MASTER V700 RS700-AFBAG1-US 700W Power Supply by DVIELIS
- › Corsair Vengeance M65 Black Wired Laser Gaming Mouse by levalencia
- › Seasonic Fanless PSU Noise
- › The Minecraft Server "Ok" Minimum
- › nVidia/AMD Graphics Cards BSOD 116/1033 Fix |...
- › To built a 4k monitor gaming rig - what type...
- › What Could Have Been - The PlayStation 4 APU
- › How to Get Linux Ubuntu Working with a GTX970...
- › The 2014 Year In Tech
- › Editors Pick Deals - Black Friday 2014
- › How to Solder Electronics
- › Broken CM Storm Xornet scroll wheel