NOTE: This guide was written for Windows 7 users for the purpose of being able to write down BSOD error codes you may be receiving.
1. Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.
2. Click on System and Security.
3. Click on System.
4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced System Settings.
5. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on Settings.
6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.
7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.
8. Click OK in the System Properties window.
9. You can now close the System window.
From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears which will give you time to write down any error codes you may receive.
Common BSOD error codes and possible solutions can be found here.
Gear mentioned in this article:
Related Forum Threads
- [SP] Microsoft to Let Windows 7 Die Quicker than Windows XP Last post on 11/4/13 at 5:21am in Software News
- Windows7: Most useful tool ever for hardware changes, no need to reinstall Last post on 4/14/14 at 4:04pm in General Processor Discussions
- Memory usage issue.... Last post on 3/27/14 at 10:52am in Memory
- Tianyun Zero DAC sample rate and bit depth (windows 7) Last post on 3/26/14 at 7:00am in Sound Cards and Computer Audio
- One Of My DIMM Slots Broke (Tri-Channel Mobo) - Running In 2 Channel Ok? Last post on 3/26/14 at 12:46pm in Memory
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 3260 Active Users (842 Members and 2418 Guests)
- › Brass Bottom Boys 8 seconds ago
- › Vista ,Unknown Device MSI Z77A-G43 54 seconds ago
- › XFX R7-250E Crossfire with A10-7850k? 1 minute ago
- › [Official] BitCoin LiteCoin DigitalCoin and all Crypto Currencies... 1 minute ago
- › Looking for advice 2 minutes ago
- › [Contest] A Month of Winning! Overclock.net 10 Year Anniversary... 2 minutes ago
- › [Freebie] Battlefield 4 - AMD Promotional Offer 2 minutes ago
- › [Y!] Netflix to raise prices by $1-2 2 minutes ago
- › Swiftech H220/H320 and CM Glacer 240L/360L Owners' Club 2 minutes ago
- › Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics] 2 minutes ago
- › XFX R7 260X 2GB D5 DP HDMI / R7-260X-CDF4 / by jdave420
- › Denon AH-D600 Music ManiacTM Over-Ear Headphones, Black by Totally Dubbed
- › Audioengine D3 24-bit Digital to Audio Converter & Headphone... by WilliamGayde
- › Audioengine D1 24-bit digital-to-audio converter by WilliamGayde
- › Nzxt Phantom 410 CA-PH410-B1 White Computer Case With Side Panel... by TheSilentBang81
- › Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal... by GorbazTheDragon
- › CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD Pure Sine Wave UPS (1500VA/900W) by Dantrax
- › i-Rocks KR-6820E-WH White 104 Key USB Wired Backlit Gaming Keyboard... by Dantrax
- › CORSAIR AX860i 860W Power Supply by jojoharalds
- › Logitech G500s by Woolley
- › overclocking kingston and ranscend rams by yakamaster
- › What I expect from Nvidia's Maxwell -... by AlphaC
- › mmm...my old graphiccard ... trow it, no... by Kam3760
- › Move your My Documents folder to another... by DMills
- › Calculating Power Savings from a Platinum PSU by AlphaC
- › EVGA Hadron Air Chassis - Tips &... by Coreda
- › AMD Mantle, CPU Bottlenecks, CPU Limitations,... by RagingCain
- › [Op-ed/Opinion] Why AMD needs an R9 280 or R9... by AlphaC
- › Qosmio x70-75 Overheating Solutions by Arizonian
- › How to maintain and properly setup an SSD in... by Rookie1337