NOTE: This guide was written for Windows 7 users for the purpose of being able to write down BSOD error codes you may be receiving.
1. Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.
2. Click on System and Security.
3. Click on System.
4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced System Settings.
5. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on Settings.
6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.
7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.
8. Click OK in the System Properties window.
9. You can now close the System window.
From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears which will give you time to write down any error codes you may receive.
Common BSOD error codes and possible solutions can be found here.
Gear mentioned in this article:
Related Forum Threads
- [SP] Microsoft to Let Windows 7 Die Quicker than Windows XP Last post on 11/4/13 at 5:21am in Software News
- Windows7: Most useful tool ever for hardware changes, no need to reinstall Last post on 4/14/14 at 4:04pm in General Processor Discussions
- 10 - 20 minutes after fresh boot, significant performance loss. tomshardware and steam... Last post on 1/22/15 at 3:22pm in PC Gaming
- Need help , regarding windows7/gpu/ssds and sleep mode Last post on 6/13/14 at 6:06am in Intel - General
- Crucial M4 Showing Full, But not? Last post on 6/12/14 at 11:53am in SSD
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2663 Active Users (500 Members and 2163 Guests)
- › ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread 55 seconds ago
- › My experience with the Asus PRIME X370-Pro 1 minute ago
- › Worse aim with 3366 and 3360 sensor. 1 minute ago
- › [pcworld] Intel Optane Memory has a mission: Make hard drives... 1 minute ago
- › 12 Years and I am not sure what else 2 minutes ago
- › [Videocardz] Intel counters 16c/32t Threadripper with 18c/36t Core i9 2 minutes ago
- › [Official] Case PHANTEKS Case Club for lovers & owners 2 minutes ago
- › Aorus x370 k7 native ram compatibility question 3 minutes ago
- › Cable Sleeving Gallery & Discussion 3 minutes ago
- › Asrock X370 Taichi Overclocking Thread 4 minutes ago
- › GIGABYTE AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AM4 AMD X370 RGB FUSION SMART FAN... by AlphaC
- › Amd Ryzen 7 1700X 8c/16t Processor by AlphaC
- › Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power by AlphaC
- › LIVA UHD Intel Latest 2.4Ghz Apollo Lake Dual LAN WIFI BT Palm... by Duality92
- › ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP Edition 11GB GDDR5X 352-bit PCIe 3.0... by bluedevil
- › PHANTEKS PH-TC14PE_RD 5 x ?8mm Dual Heat-Pipes, Dual 140mm Premium... by dirtyred
- › Kasda Networks KA1900 Dual Band Wireless Router by AyyMD
- › Thermaltake Contac Silent 12 by Chaosrender
- › Pixxo ML-G235U Black Wired Laser Mouse by nickCrowe
- › ARCTIC Freezer i32 - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan for Intel with... by XaRGR
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency