NOTE: This guide was written for Windows 7 users for the purpose of being able to write down BSOD error codes you may be receiving.
1. Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.
2. Click on System and Security.
3. Click on System.
4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced System Settings.
5. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on Settings.
6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.
7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.
8. Click OK in the System Properties window.
9. You can now close the System window.
From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears which will give you time to write down any error codes you may receive.
Common BSOD error codes and possible solutions can be found here.
Gear mentioned in this article:
Related Forum Threads
- [SP] Microsoft to Let Windows 7 Die Quicker than Windows XP Last post on 11/4/13 at 5:21am in Software News
- Windows7: Most useful tool ever for hardware changes, no need to reinstall Last post on 4/14/14 at 4:04pm in General Processor Discussions
- Need help , regarding windows7/gpu/ssds and sleep mode Last post on 6/13/14 at 6:06am in Intel - General
- Crucial M4 Showing Full, But not? Last post on 6/12/14 at 11:53am in SSD
- Recording Issue with my AverMedia Live Gamer Portable Last post on 5/17/14 at 12:41pm in Other Peripherals
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 3120 Active Users (672 Members and 2448 Guests)
- › Announcing the CaseLabs Mercury S5 mATX Case 44 seconds ago
- › [Scratch Build] Loricatus 49 seconds ago
- › == Haswell-E Overclock Leaderboard & Owners Club == 51 seconds ago
- › [TweakTown] Ubisoft is charging $30 for the Far Cry 4 season pass 1 minute ago
- › 3930k safe 24/7 voltage if you want it to last 5-6 years? 1 minute ago
- › (EVGA) EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN Z Superclocked new price of 1,599.99 1 minute ago
- › [Build Log] Another ordinary X99 2 minutes ago
- › Destiny Information & Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Asus Maximus Formula VII Owner's Club 2 minutes ago
- › CM Storm mousepads? 3 minutes ago
- › BenQ XL2420TX Black-Red 24"" 5ms (2ms GTG) Widescreen... by cutty1998
- › Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz LGA1155 by Skye12977
- › AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Socket FM2+ Quad-Core Desktop Processor by MCCSolutions
- › AMD FX-9590 5.0GHz Socket AM3+ Eight-Core Desktop Processor by MCCSolutions
- › ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard by MCCSolutions
- › TP-Link TL-WN727N 11NGB 150MB Wireless N USB Adapter by KenLautner
- › AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Socket FM2+ Desktop Processor (BLACK... by PhillyB
- › Destiny by iARDAs
- › ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX Intel Motherboard by jojoharalds
- › Intel Core i7-920 2.66GHz LGA 1366 Quad-Core Processor by DR4G00N
- › My Dream PC under $10,000 By: iRyanSparkz YT
- › How to Solder Electronics
- › Broken CM Storm Xornet scroll wheel
- › A Troubling Trend
- › The Truth About FPS
- › My First Case Mod!
- › GPU and CPU power connections
- › A Guide on how to fix Heat Problems
- › [Linux] How to enable backlight control and...
- › How To: Activate a 2012/2012 R2 Virtual Machine