NOTE: This guide was written for Windows 7 users for the purpose of being able to write down BSOD error codes you may be receiving.
1. Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.
2. Click on System and Security.
3. Click on System.
4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced System Settings.
5. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on Settings.
6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.
7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.
8. Click OK in the System Properties window.
9. You can now close the System window.
From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears which will give you time to write down any error codes you may receive.
Common BSOD error codes and possible solutions can be found here.
Gear mentioned in this article:
Related Forum Threads
- [SP] Microsoft to Let Windows 7 Die Quicker than Windows XP Last post on 11/4/13 at 5:21am in Software News
- Windows7: Most useful tool ever for hardware changes, no need to reinstall Last post on 4/14/14 at 4:04pm in General Processor Discussions
- 10 - 20 minutes after fresh boot, significant performance loss. tomshardware and steam... Last post on 1/22/15 at 3:22pm in PC Gaming
- Need help , regarding windows7/gpu/ssds and sleep mode Last post on 6/13/14 at 6:06am in Intel - General
- Crucial M4 Showing Full, But not? Last post on 6/12/14 at 11:53am in SSD
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 1930 Active Users (340 Members and 1590 Guests)
- › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 1070 Owner's Club 1 minute ago
- › [POLL] What refresh rates we running at OCN? 3 minutes ago
- › The "what audio equipment did you buy/get today" thread [56k... 3 minutes ago
- › Non-Modular PSU Questions! 3 minutes ago
- › I just don't like gaming anymore... 4 minutes ago
- › [Official] Case Labs Owners Club 5 minutes ago
- › [WCCF] Nvidia's Volta could launch as early as 2H 2017 ON 16nm node 6 minutes ago
- › Do these little Chips need cooling? 7 minutes ago
- › My new STH10 build 8 minutes ago
- › [ExtremeTech] Windows 10 gets one last, desperate nagware update 8 minutes ago
- › Silverstone SX700-LPT SFX-L PSU by geggeg
- › Dell S2817Q 28" 4K Monitor by WilliamGayde
- › Zotac 1070 Amp! Extreme by Ur64n 50ulj4h
- › Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 150 Reservoir, Clear Tube, White POM Cap by TheCautiousOne
- › Bitspower Z-Multi 250 Water Tank by TheCautiousOne
- › ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1ms (GTG) Widescreen LED Backlight LCD... by TheCautiousOne
- › Highspeed PC XL-ATX Top Deck Tech Station by Jedson3614
- › Enermax Platimax 1350W by Jedson3614
- › SCOTTeVEST Performance POLO by Jedson3614
- › 1st Player Steampunk Keyboard by TheN00bBuilder
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency
- › Multi Tasking on Intel Haswell CPU's
- › Intel Hyper Threading - Performance Scaling...
- › Intel Core i3 vs Core i5 vs Core i7: Gaming...
- › The Witcher 3 v1.08 - Performance Test
- › Overclock Labs - Community Review Program...