NOTE: This guide was written for Windows 7 users for the purpose of being able to write down BSOD error codes you may be receiving.
1. Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.
2. Click on System and Security.
3. Click on System.
4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced System Settings.
5. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on Settings.
6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.
7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.
8. Click OK in the System Properties window.
9. You can now close the System window.
From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears which will give you time to write down any error codes you may receive.
Common BSOD error codes and possible solutions can be found here.
Gear mentioned in this article:
Related Forum Threads
- [SP] Microsoft to Let Windows 7 Die Quicker than Windows XP Last post on 11/4/13 at 5:21am in Software News
- Windows7: Most useful tool ever for hardware changes, no need to reinstall Last post on 5/5/13 at 5:53pm in General Processor Discussions
- Does ThrottleStop overclock my laptop? Last post on 12/11/13 at 5:04pm in Intel CPUs
- Enabling Speedstep on High Performance Power Plan in Windows 7? Last post on 12/4/13 at 9:15pm in Intel CPUs
- new build... opinions? Last post on Today at 6:50 am in Intel CPUs
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 3248 Active Users (829 Members and 2419 Guests)
- › Rep button not working on Chrome 4 seconds ago
- › [Official] Corsair Graphite Club 24 seconds ago
- › Questions regarding AMD APU Underclocking and undervolting 48 seconds ago
- › [Official] Counter Strike Global Offensive Thread 1 minute ago
- › [OFFICIAL] GTX 770 Owners Club 1 minute ago
- › [AnandTech] nVidia G-Sync Review 1 minute ago
- › Should i overclock my i5 3570k with stock cooler? 2 minutes ago
- › How does the GTX 780 compare to the R290 under water? 2 minutes ago
- › [DS] TitanFall Will Be Playable At 4K On A Single Nvidia GTX Titan 2 minutes ago
- › Need a little PSU advice 3 minutes ago
- › JBL LSR305 Studio Monitor by Chipp
- › Zalman Zm-Mic1 High Sensitivity Headphone Microphone by CptAsian
- › ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti GTX660 TI-DC2T-2GD5 Video Card by WeRNothiNg
- › Asus GTX660 TI-DC2O-2GD5 192Bit PCI Express... by WeRNothiNg
- › Lsi Internal SATA/SAS 9211-8i 6Gb/s PCI-Express 2.0 RAID Controller... by Lady Fitzgerald
- › BGears 120mm Fan Filter by Lady Fitzgerald
- › Datavac Electric Duster by Lady Fitzgerald
- › Evga SuperNOVA 1000 G2 by Archea47
- › Amped Wireless High Power 700mW Dual Band AC Wi-Fi Range Extender... by WilliamGayde
- › CASE ROSEWILL / BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case by ricwoodard
- › Steelseries Siberia v2 FrostBlue Edition USB... by kyuren95
- › H2O vs. LN2 by Slinky PC
- › Optimal Placement for Your Rig by twistedspace
- › Chat over LAN without cmd using LAN Messenger. by agentoo7
- › Posting Guidelines for Hardware, Vendor, and... by Chipp
- › fan control modding by Dalbaa
- › Why Bonaire is overrated and R7-260X is a... by AlphaC
- › Estimating Fan requirements (draft) by AlphaC
- › Rate My Build by mezzi2010
- › DRAFT : R9 290X compute & workstation by AlphaC