Howto Moving Your Existing Nix Install To A New Pc Or Drive Using...
Edited on 1/12/13
- How to change the Ubuntu GUIEdited on 9/29/12
- How To Install Archlinux The Easy Quick And Dirt WayEdited on 5/8/13
- Install and Configure a basic LAMP server in Ubuntu 11.10
- topicLinux Desktop
Alphabetical Article List
How to install UbuntuUbuntu install guide
Firstly, choose your architecture, though aside from older computers there's little reason to not use x64 these days.
Desktop x32: http://www.ubuntu.com/start-download?distro=desktop&bits=32&release=lts
Desktop x64: http://www.ubuntu.com/start-download?distro=desktop&bits=64&release=lts
Next, we'll need to write the ISO on your choice of a CD/DVD or a USB flash drive. For this you can use whatever program you're familiar with; some common Windows programs would be " ImgBurn " and " UNetbootin ". Both of which make writing the ISO to your desired device a breeze.
An internet connection is always reccomended whenever possible to get the latest updates as well as proprietary drivers later on.
Insert the media you chose and restart your computer.Begin Installation
Step 1; choose your language.
Step 2; If you have an active internet connection be sure to check the " Download updates while installing " check box. And optionally the 3rd party software, which provides plugins and codecs for certain audio and video filetypes.
Step 3; Selecting / Partition your hard drive. If you're using an entire disk simply select " Use Entire Disk " otherwise if you have already created a separate partition or intend to make one, choose " Something Else " and you will be thrown into a partition manager. Create your partition and select the mountpoint as " / " or " root ".
Step 4; Set your location. Pretty self explanatory, just select the nearest option to you.
Step 5; Select your keyboard layout. Choose the one appropriate to you.
Step 6; Create a Username and Password.
Step 7; Grab a beer and relax for a few minutes.
Step 8; Reboot, you're done.Jockey
After you have rebooted and if you have an active internet connection you will automatically be prompted that there is proprietary drivers available ( if you need any that is, most come preinstalled aside from graphics cards and some wireless firmware ). This program is called " Jockey ".Done
You are done, and will be free to do as you wish.
Some simple tips to those new at Linux;
~ means home, which is your user directory.
. prefix means the file is hidden.
Themes can be installed to the ~/.themes directory for local ( your user only ) or /usr/share/themes directory for system wide ( needs root access ).
Icons can be installed like above to their respective directories ~/.icons or /usr/share/icons.
Cursors can be installed but share the ~/.themes and /usr/share/themes directory.
If you wish to try different desktop environments you can be simply opening the software center and search for " kubuntu-desktop " for KDE, " xubuntu-desktop " for XFCE, " lubuntu-desktop " for LXDE, or follow the specific guide to install various others you may be interested in.
- How to change the Ubuntu GUI
Currently, there are 2454 Active Users (801 Members and 1653 Guests)
- › Win Your Ultimate Rig! 12 Rigs Total! 6 seconds ago
- › [Official] ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 Owners Thread/Club 14 seconds ago
- › Top 3DMark Fire Strike Scores 21 seconds ago
- › The Korean PLS Monitor Club (Qnix & X-Star) 30 seconds ago
- › OCN Headphones Club 48 seconds ago
- › ZOWIE FK 1 minute ago
- › [Various] GTX 780 Reviews 1 minute ago
- › [IGN] Need for Speed Rivals: Building On Criterion's Heritage 1 minute ago
- › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 660TI Owners club 1 minute ago
- › Need OC Help with 3770K on Asus MVG ! 1 minute ago
- › Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R1) by junhawng
- › Metro: Last Light - Standard Edition by boredgunner
- › Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 FD-CA-ARC-R2-BL-W Computer Case With... by Alan G
- › Wireless Stereo Headset by DoomDash
- › GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition GV-R787OC-2GD Video Card by VitalShot
- › Crucial Ballistix sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600... by Fieldsweeper
- › Creative 70SB150000000 Sound Card by Fieldsweeper
- › ASUS PB Series PB278Q 27"" 5ms (GTG) WQHD Widescreen LED... by R3apR369
- › SilverStone Aluminum Body ATX Full Tower Computer Case TJ07B -... by R3apR369
- › Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and... by Steve1300
- › Rackmount Storage Devices for your mypccase by chriseddins
- › Online free image resizer by morgan0021
- › Maid Service Stroud by jacob5564
- › METRO 2033 STARTUP CRASH FIX WORKS by xiangelo
- › Why are DNS Servers Important? How to make... by exzacklyright
- › Titanium Backup Guide For Newbies by exzacklyright
- › How to install ADB (Android Debug Bridge) by exzacklyright
- › How to take ownership of a file, folder, or... by exzacklyright
- › How to disable the open file security warning... by exzacklyright
- › Clean and Make a USB Bootable Flash Drive for... by exzacklyright