I got a new battery for my PSP in the other day. More than a bit of an improvement considering I used to be able to drain the charge within a day playing Disgaea w/ no sound and lowest brightness. Which is kinda concerning considering Disgaea is all sprites and some 3d polygon flair for special attacks.
But back to the point of this entry...
So I get it in my head to stick a custom firmware onto my PSP. Well I don't know anyone with a homebrewed PSP so I decided to Pandora the old battery...
Well it involves breaking open the housing of the battery. So I pry it open and you know how the Lithium-Ion cell is wrapped in it's little battery foil thing? For some awful reason the top-part of the housing hung on something while I was opening it and exposed the cell and after that happened it was just looking for something to short it.
Not too sure what caused the short, but what ensued was in retrospect kinda funny. I never knew that those batteries can take off like rockets. I saw the short, it heated up and tossed it off my bed (I just happened to be fiddling with it there. Not sure why, but I was) and mid-flight I get a nice puff of smoke shoot out and the battery starts flying around spewing smoke, flame, and melted plastic bits.
well, while this was happening I grabbed an oven mit and grabbed it after it stopped rocketing around the floor. I got it quick enough that chance of fire was nil, but there's a funny, PSP-battery shaped melted spot on my room's carpet now.
Living at my parents right now (classes done til fall) so I feel kinda bad, but if they resell the house the carpet will have to be redone anyway since it's old, cheap, plasti-berber so I don't feel too bad.