During the time of the first generation Intel Core i series, Tom's Hardware made an article about finding the most efficient clock speed for Core i5 750 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-750-efficiency,2500.html and Core i7 920 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-core-i7,2268.html. I got curious as to what is the most efficient clock speed for my Core i7 4790K.
[CPU] Intel Core i7 4790K
[GPU] Gigabyte GTX 970 mini-ITX
[MOB] Gigabyte Z97-D3H (F7 bios)
[RAM] G. Skill Trident X 4GBx2 DDR3 @ 2400 MHz 10-12-12-31 2T
[HSF] Noctua NH-U12S
Windows 7 64-bit with Service Pack 1
For productivity testing, I only used HandBrake. The short movie (about 10 minutes long) Big Buck Bunny was encoded from AVI to MP4 using High Profile preset. Video resolution is 1080p. Big Buck Bunny is an open movie which was created using open software. You can download the movie here https://peach.blender.org/about/. To save time, I only encoded the first 60 seconds of the movie.
To know the energy used for encoding the video, I measured the time it took to complete the task then multiplied it by the power draw during the task. The clock speed and voltage with the lowest energy used will be the most efficient.
Turbo Boost was disabled.
The results below are the average of 3 runs
Overclocking Haswell reduces energy efficiency. Because every chip will differ in the required voltage for a given clock speed, it's hard to give a fixed value for the most efficient clock speed for Core i7 4790K. But based on my test, the most efficient clock speed for Core i7 4790K is the one that you can achieve with a core voltage of ~0.900 V.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 3086 Active Users (578 Members and 2508 Guests)
- › My experience with the Asus PRIME X370-Pro 41 seconds ago
- › [Official] Case PHANTEKS Case Club for lovers & owners 1 minute ago
- › [Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club 1 minute ago
- › After Geforce drivers installed gpu fan goes from 0-max speed every... 1 minute ago
- › Is it possible to keep the same glide after period of time? 1 minute ago
- › [Official] RYZEN 7 1800X | 1700X |1700 Owners Club & 4GHz+ Club 1 minute ago
- › Xeon Hacking and Overclocking X79/X99 [Beyond X58] 2 minutes ago
- › [Build Log] Party like it's 2009! 4 minutes ago
- › [FossBytes] Microsoft “Destroyed Users Computers” After Windows 10... 4 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on Phanteks PH-F140XP / PH-F120XP? 5 minutes ago
- › ASUS Prime B350-Plus AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4 HDMI DVI VGA M.2 USB 3.1... by OldNerd
- › MyDigitalSSD BPX 80mm (2280) M.2 PCI Express 3.0 x4 (PCIe Gen3 x4)... by Jedson3614
- › NZXT Kraken X52 All-in-One CPU Liquid Cooling System Cooling, Black... by Duality92
- › Nixeus REVEL Gaming Mouse - PixArt PMW 3360 Sensor with 8 Preset... by Duality92
- › Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800 by Khalaharee
- › Creative Labs K08 & M04 by Jedson3614
- › G.Skill Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Full RGB (RIPJAWS KM570 RGB,... by Duality92
- › Phononic HEX 2.0 Thermoelectric CPU Cooler, Black by Duality92
- › BitFenix Shogun E-ATX Dual Tempered Glass Gaming Case with Asus... by Duality92
- › Nidec UltraFlo 120x120x38mm by MasakakiKairi
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency
- › Multi Tasking on Intel Haswell CPU's
- › Intel Hyper Threading - Performance Scaling...