During the time of the first generation Intel Core i series, Tom's Hardware made an article about finding the most efficient clock speed for Core i5 750 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-750-efficiency,2500.html and Core i7 920 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-core-i7,2268.html. I got curious as to what is the most efficient clock speed for my Core i7 4790K.
[CPU] Intel Core i7 4790K
[GPU] Gigabyte GTX 970 mini-ITX
[MOB] Gigabyte Z97-D3H (F7 bios)
[RAM] G. Skill Trident X 4GBx2 DDR3 @ 2400 MHz 10-12-12-31 2T
[HSF] Noctua NH-U12S
Windows 7 64-bit with Service Pack 1
For productivity testing, I only used HandBrake. The short movie (about 10 minutes long) Big Buck Bunny was encoded from AVI to MP4 using High Profile preset. Video resolution is 1080p. Big Buck Bunny is an open movie which was created using open software. You can download the movie here https://peach.blender.org/about/. To save time, I only encoded the first 60 seconds of the movie.
To know the energy used for encoding the video, I measured the time it took to complete the task then multiplied it by the power draw during the task. The clock speed and voltage with the lowest energy used will be the most efficient.
Turbo Boost was disabled.
The results below are the average of 3 runs
Overclocking Haswell reduces energy efficiency. Because every chip will differ in the required voltage for a given clock speed, it's hard to give a fixed value for the most efficient clock speed for Core i7 4790K. But based on my test, the most efficient clock speed for Core i7 4790K is the one that you can achieve with a core voltage of ~0.900 V.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2235 Active Users (429 Members and 1806 Guests)
- › 1.4PB write, 1.9PB read for no reason after 3 years of using... 18 seconds ago
- › Kaby Lake - 5GHz milestone 33 seconds ago
- › How To: Unbrick Your Bricked Graphics Card/Fix a Failed BIOS Flash 1 minute ago
- › [Official] World of Tanks (fun and awesomeness) discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › New Logitech G403 PRODIGY 107G + 10G - Wire/Wireless 1 minute ago
- › Strange issue with vertical green lines during gaming: 1 minute ago
- › [Sponsored] ROCCAT Kone EMP Gaming Mouse review - by Ino 1 minute ago
- › Samsung UN49KS8000 (2160P TV) Thread/Discussion 3 minutes ago
- › Broadwell-E thread 3 minutes ago
- › 25ft 4k 60hz 4:4:4 Challenge 4 minutes ago
- › Tesoro Zone Balance Gaming Chair by WilliamGayde
- › Crucial Storage Executive, Version 3.38 by AlphaC
- › Samsung Magician 5.0 by AlphaC
- › Silverstone PM01 Matte Black by Duality92
- › Azza Photios250 by Duality92
- › COUGAR ATTACK X3 RGB Premium Gaming Mechanical Keyboard with Cherry... by WilliamGayde
- › GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 ATX AMD Motherboard by Butthungrymonkee
- › CRONOS RGB 3D 7.1 Surround Sound PC Gaming Headset by Jedson3614
- › Cougar Minos X3 Gaming Mouse by WilliamGayde
- › MSI GT72DOMINATORG1227 GT72 Dominator G-1227 i7-6820HK G-Sync GTX... by boostinsteve
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency
- › Multi Tasking on Intel Haswell CPU's
- › Intel Hyper Threading - Performance Scaling...
- › Intel Core i3 vs Core i5 vs Core i7: Gaming...