During the time of the first generation Intel Core i series, Tom's Hardware made an article about finding the most efficient clock speed for Core i5 750 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-750-efficiency,2500.html and Core i7 920 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-core-i7,2268.html. I got curious as to what is the most efficient clock speed for my Core i7 4790K.
[CPU] Intel Core i7 4790K
[GPU] Gigabyte GTX 970 mini-ITX
[MOB] Gigabyte Z97-D3H (F7 bios)
[RAM] G. Skill Trident X 4GBx2 DDR3 @ 2400 MHz 10-12-12-31 2T
[HSF] Noctua NH-U12S
Windows 7 64-bit with Service Pack 1
For productivity testing, I only used HandBrake. The short movie (about 10 minutes long) Big Buck Bunny was encoded from AVI to MP4 using High Profile preset. Video resolution is 1080p. Big Buck Bunny is an open movie which was created using open software. You can download the movie here https://peach.blender.org/about/. To save time, I only encoded the first 60 seconds of the movie.
To know the energy used for encoding the video, I measured the time it took to complete the task then multiplied it by the power draw during the task. The clock speed and voltage with the lowest energy used will be the most efficient.
Turbo Boost was disabled.
The results below are the average of 3 runs
Overclocking Haswell reduces energy efficiency. Because every chip will differ in the required voltage for a given clock speed, it's hard to give a fixed value for the most efficient clock speed for Core i7 4790K. But based on my test, the most efficient clock speed for Core i7 4790K is the one that you can achieve with a core voltage of ~0.900 V.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2710 Active Users (428 Members and 2282 Guests)
- › Samsung monitors of 2016 introduced (Curved, High Resolution,... 23 seconds ago
- ›  1440p 60Hz vs 1080p 144Hz Monitor, what to choose? 40 seconds ago
- › Is it just me or does the Steam sale suck? 1 minute ago
- › [DigiTimes] Coffee Lake (LGA 1151 6C/12T) launching in August -... 2 minutes ago
- › [Official] Creative Sound Blaster Z, Zx & ZxR Series Club 3 minutes ago
- › VRM on the new AM4 motherboards 3 minutes ago
- › [Microsoft] XBOX One X - $499 Available Nov 7th 2017 4 minutes ago
- › [Official] NVIDIA Titan Xp Owners' Club 5 minutes ago
- › How To Flash A Different BIOS On Your 1080 Ti. 7 minutes ago
- › Skylake Overclocking Guide [With Statistics] 11 minutes ago
- › ID-COOLING Auraflow 240 RGB AIO Cooler by DaveLT
- › Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Quiet CPU Cooler for Intel LGA 2011 Socket... by DontDoCovfefe
- › Acer - GN246HL 24" LCD 1ms 144Hz HDMI 3D 1080p Monitor by oobymach
- › Enermax CPU Air Cooler 250W+ Intel/AMD PDF Design, DFR Technology,... by zenstrive
- › Samsung 850 EVO 4TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E4T0B/AM) by Lady Fitzgerald
- › StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile... by Lady Fitzgerald
- › Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX 4 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics... by Duality92
- › Jonsbo VR2 - Tempered Glass and Aluminium case by Duality92
- › iiyama G-MASTER GB2788HS TN 27" Black Full HD by FuwyFun
- › Xbox Wireless Controller - White by FuwyFun
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency