During the time of the first generation Intel Core i series, Tom's Hardware made an article about finding the most efficient clock speed for Core i5 750 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-750-efficiency,2500.html and Core i7 920 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-core-i7,2268.html. I got curious as to what is the most efficient clock speed for my Core i7 4790K.
[CPU] Intel Core i7 4790K
[GPU] Gigabyte GTX 970 mini-ITX
[MOB] Gigabyte Z97-D3H (F7 bios)
[RAM] G. Skill Trident X 4GBx2 DDR3 @ 2400 MHz 10-12-12-31 2T
[HSF] Noctua NH-U12S
Windows 7 64-bit with Service Pack 1
For productivity testing, I only used HandBrake. The short movie (about 10 minutes long) Big Buck Bunny was encoded from AVI to MP4 using High Profile preset. Video resolution is 1080p. Big Buck Bunny is an open movie which was created using open software. You can download the movie here https://peach.blender.org/about/. To save time, I only encoded the first 60 seconds of the movie.
To know the energy used for encoding the video, I measured the time it took to complete the task then multiplied it by the power draw during the task. The clock speed and voltage with the lowest energy used will be the most efficient.
Turbo Boost was disabled.
The results below are the average of 3 runs
Overclocking Haswell reduces energy efficiency. Because every chip will differ in the required voltage for a given clock speed, it's hard to give a fixed value for the most efficient clock speed for Core i7 4790K. But based on my test, the most efficient clock speed for Core i7 4790K is the one that you can achieve with a core voltage of ~0.900 V.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2608 Active Users (451 Members and 2157 Guests)
- › [SPONSORED] "Monarch" project 39 seconds ago
- › [BI] Tesla's semitruck can be driven around 'like a sports car' 59 seconds ago
- › [EFF] FCC Announces Plan to Abandon Net Neutrality and ISP Privacy 1 minute ago
- › [GameGPU]Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 Benchmarks 1 minute ago
- › 8th BOINC Pentathlon - May 5th - 19th 2017 2 minutes ago
- › HELP CANNOT RESTORE PLAYSTATION 4 PRO 3 minutes ago
- › RYZEN 5 1600X | 1600 | 1500X | 1400 Owners Club 3 minutes ago
- › My experience with the Asus PRIME X370-Pro 4 minutes ago
- › Razer Lancehead Early impressions/overview 5 minutes ago
- › Finally moving to Linux 5 minutes ago
- › XFX Gts XXX Edition Rx 580 8GB OC+ 1386Mhz DDR5 3xDP HDMI DVI... by Jedson3614
- › GIGABYTE GM-M6980X Black Wired Pro-Laser Mouse by ramonamiller
- › Orion TV 22 inch by fedrosishere
- › Kanto YU4 Powered Speakers with Bluetooth and Phono Preamp - Gloss... by SightUp
- › Gigabyte XTREME Gaming Mouse (GM-XM300) by orlahirish
- › Superlux HD 681 Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones by raisethe3
- › Logitech G Pro Gaming FPS Mouse with Advanced Gaming Sensor for... by raisethe3
- › AMD YD1700BBAEBOX Ryzen 7 1700 Processor with Wraith Spire LED Cooler by bluedevil
- › Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical 1.1A by 1n5aN1aC
- › DIYPC Alpha-GT3 Bench Computer Case by rediornot
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency
- › Multi Tasking on Intel Haswell CPU's