I had gotten done installing the last WD hdd (planning on RAID-0 eventually), the last 2 SilenX 120mm fans, and a Zalman 6-fan controller, zero noticeable effect on the overall temperature. Oh well, plenty of air flowing now so I have little to worry about when it comes to cool air for my system. Best part is, even though my tower is louder, the only noise that I do hear isn't from the fans but from the air they're moving .
I downloaded and update the motherboard bios from 1103 to 1202, not my best move. While successfully updated, I ended up have to set everything to it's defaults (except Cool-N-Quiet is enabled) due to a BSOD and hard lock that kept coming up during the Vista load screen. I haven't exactly determined why since all the update did was add unleash mode to the ACC function (I left it disabled) and fixed the Intel 9300PT LAN card not waking up the system from S1/S3/S4 (I don't have one, so no big). I suspected that it may have something to do with the NB frequency being at 2400MHz since I had something similar happen when I tried to set that to 2600MHz with BIOS revision 1103. The only upside seems to be that I shed nearly 2C and I'm now about 11C above ambient (39C absolute). I gotta do some checking since I didn't know what the default voltage is for the NB, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that increasing this voltage would help to stabilize things.
As always, any and all reasonable suggestions and ideas are welcome. By God, I'm gonna kick this pig until it works, .
EDIT: Sure enough the issue was the NB frequency being at 2400MHz, although I didn't know why at the time . I tried raising it to 2600MHz to see what would happen. I managed to get Vista loaded, but for some reason, according to CPU-Z, it would default to 2000MHz and I couldn't get it to change. I double checked the BIOS and it was still set at 2600MHz, :twisted: . I also raised the DDR voltage from 1.86V to 1.9V, that seemed to help with the benchmarks some, dropped the latency from ~57ns to ~49ns; I was much happier when I had ~47-48ns with the NB frequency at 2400MHz.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 1799 Active Users (233 Members and 1566 Guests)
- › Advice on Case Options 12 seconds ago
- › AMD Ryzen Threadripper Owners Club - 1950X | 1920X | 1900X 1 minute ago
- › Alphacool pump VPP755 review of noise issues and problems 10 minutes ago
- › ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 ThreadRipper Overclocking / Support 10 minutes ago
- › FS: 1366 CPUs US48 10 minutes ago
- › [Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club 10 minutes ago
- › [Kickstarter] Pimax: The World's First 8K VR Headset 11 minutes ago
- › Thermaltake Core P3 Owner's Club 13 minutes ago
- › Gigabyte Z170x Overclocking 14 minutes ago
- › [Apple] iPhone X Reveal 17 minutes ago
- › Seasonic Flagship PRIME SERIES SSR-1200PD 1200W PLATINUM FULL... by mllrkllr88
- › Corsair Obsidian 750D Computer Case With Side Panel Window by The_Rocker
- › Asus Xonar Essence STX 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card by The_Rocker
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by The_Rocker
- › Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W... by foofer1233
- › Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 1 LGA 2011 Processor - BX80619I73930K by powerhouse
- › HDPLEX H5 Fanless Computer Chassis by michelme67
- › Nuance Power PDF Standard by Lady Fitzgerald
- › ID-COOLING SE214L Snow Edition CPU Heatsink by DaveLT
- › Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)... by ADmodz
- › Hands-On: TCL 55″ P-Series 4K HDR TV is...
- › (OPINION) AMD shot themselves in the foot by...
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...