Well my order from SVC.com arrived yesterday afternoon around 2:30pm. Did the teardown and couldn't believe what I found, nearly 3cm of my cpu was completely uncovered!!! No wonder my temperatures started to take off, still didn't make a difference ultimately. Having reseated my Xiggy 3 previous times (correctly mind you ), I was still getting 41C idle with ambient at ~26C. Now I'm getting around 36-38C (there's some bouncing, meh) and I'm much happier. I'll look into another Scythe 1900rpm Slipstream and maybe some shrouds to see if I can't get the temps down even further.
I got even more bad news as I attempted to install my AM2 adapter only to find that it didn't fit . I ended up cutting off about a 3x3mm segment at the cpu socket lever arm and blending it into the bends near the corners. Yes, I know it floats some, but this literally wouldn't screw down, it was that far off. A Dremel and ream fixed the problem after I found out that my little cutting wheels weren't up to the job. I don't like cutting things up that I just bought, but it was that or have the Megahalems facing the wrong way .
So all in all, I rearranged some fans, added some fans, and got a better heatsink. I'm still in the process of testing that last bit and I've got some cleanup left on the wiring, lots of fan wiring makes for a BIG mess. I believe I read someplace that Orthos will torture my CPU more, so I think that I'll run that to get my temperatures up.
Exhaust - 1 rear (120x38 90cfm), 2 top (120x25 72cfm)
Total cfm: 234
Intake - 1 side (GPU 120x38 90cfm), 1 front (120x25 110cfm thermally controlled)
1 behind mobo tray (80x15 18cfm)
Total cfm: 218
CPU - 1 120x25 110cfm pointed toward the rear exhaust
Circulating - 1 at rear of 5.25" drive bays (120x25 44cfm)
1 at bottom pointed at GPU (120x25 44cfm)
Exhaust - 1 rear (120x38 90cfm), 1 side (GPU 120x38 90cfm)
Total cfm: 180
Intake - 2 top (GPU 120x25 72cfm), 1 front (120x25 43cfm)
1 behind mobo tray (80x15 18cfm)
Total cfm: 205
CPU - 1 120x25 56cfm pointed down at the GPU
Circulating - 0
SilenX: 2 120x38 90cfm, 2 120x25 72cfm, 1 80x15 18cfm
Cooler Master: 1 120x25 110cfm, 2 120x25 44cfm
Scythe: 1 120x25 110cfm
Yes, I know I have a negative pressure case now (218cfm intake, 234cfm exhaust), but it's all for a good cause, OVERCLOCKING .
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 3658 Active Users (828 Members and 2830 Guests)
- › h80i and fan expert 3? 21 seconds ago
- › Buying a router because my ATT Uverse router is bad. Question though.. 26 seconds ago
- › [Official] ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q Owner's club 28 seconds ago
- › testing my evga 580gtx overclock is proving futile 1 minute ago
- › Connect two PCs via Gigabit? 1 minute ago
- › Show your Android Home Screen 1 minute ago
- › [GSMArena] Android 5.0 Lollipop is now seeding to the Nexus family 1 minute ago
- › What type of paint to use 1 minute ago
- › Sleeved Cable Color Example Gallery and Color Suggestion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sound crackling, Crossfire only 1 minute ago
- › ROCCAT Kone Pure Core Performance 8200DPI Pro-Aim R3 Laser Sensor... by HengHoot
- › Ducky Zero Shine Zone DK2108SZ by HengHoot
- › Evercool SB-F1 Case Cooling Fan by Gareth Ward
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear... by hollowtek
- › Fractal Design FD-CA-ARC-XL-BL-W Computer Case by WilliamGayde
- › Aquacomputer Airplex Modularity System 360mm Radiator by sunyata
- › Phobya Balancer 250 Silver Nickel by sunyata
- › Bitspower 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD G1/4'' Compression... by sunyata
- › Watercool Heatkiller MO-RA3 360 Core by sunyata
- › Swiftech MCP350 - Liquid cooling system pump by sunyata
- › How to Solder Electronics
- › Broken CM Storm Xornet scroll wheel
- › A Troubling Trend
- › The Truth About FPS
- › My First Case Mod!
- › GPU and CPU power connections
- › A Guide on how to fix Heat Problems
- › [Linux] How to enable backlight control and...
- › How To: Activate a 2012/2012 R2 Virtual Machine
- › Really long term project: Conversion from...