Well my order from SVC.com arrived yesterday afternoon around 2:30pm. Did the teardown and couldn't believe what I found, nearly 3cm of my cpu was completely uncovered!!! No wonder my temperatures started to take off, still didn't make a difference ultimately. Having reseated my Xiggy 3 previous times (correctly mind you ), I was still getting 41C idle with ambient at ~26C. Now I'm getting around 36-38C (there's some bouncing, meh) and I'm much happier. I'll look into another Scythe 1900rpm Slipstream and maybe some shrouds to see if I can't get the temps down even further.
I got even more bad news as I attempted to install my AM2 adapter only to find that it didn't fit . I ended up cutting off about a 3x3mm segment at the cpu socket lever arm and blending it into the bends near the corners. Yes, I know it floats some, but this literally wouldn't screw down, it was that far off. A Dremel and ream fixed the problem after I found out that my little cutting wheels weren't up to the job. I don't like cutting things up that I just bought, but it was that or have the Megahalems facing the wrong way .
So all in all, I rearranged some fans, added some fans, and got a better heatsink. I'm still in the process of testing that last bit and I've got some cleanup left on the wiring, lots of fan wiring makes for a BIG mess. I believe I read someplace that Orthos will torture my CPU more, so I think that I'll run that to get my temperatures up.
Exhaust - 1 rear (120x38 90cfm), 2 top (120x25 72cfm)
Total cfm: 234
Intake - 1 side (GPU 120x38 90cfm), 1 front (120x25 110cfm thermally controlled)
1 behind mobo tray (80x15 18cfm)
Total cfm: 218
CPU - 1 120x25 110cfm pointed toward the rear exhaust
Circulating - 1 at rear of 5.25" drive bays (120x25 44cfm)
1 at bottom pointed at GPU (120x25 44cfm)
Exhaust - 1 rear (120x38 90cfm), 1 side (GPU 120x38 90cfm)
Total cfm: 180
Intake - 2 top (GPU 120x25 72cfm), 1 front (120x25 43cfm)
1 behind mobo tray (80x15 18cfm)
Total cfm: 205
CPU - 1 120x25 56cfm pointed down at the GPU
Circulating - 0
SilenX: 2 120x38 90cfm, 2 120x25 72cfm, 1 80x15 18cfm
Cooler Master: 1 120x25 110cfm, 2 120x25 44cfm
Scythe: 1 120x25 110cfm
Yes, I know I have a negative pressure case now (218cfm intake, 234cfm exhaust), but it's all for a good cause, OVERCLOCKING .
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 3325 Active Users (727 Members and 2598 Guests)
- › [VRzone] Carrizo GPU improves by 28%, faster than Nvidia's 750m 8 seconds ago
- › Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex Gaming Mouse 41 seconds ago
- › 8150 or 8350? 58 seconds ago
- › [Various] FCC Neturality News Thread (Vote in favor of Net... 59 seconds ago
- › Just about to commence a build on a Asus P6T deluxe v2 Motherboard!... 1 minute ago
- › Razer Deathadder Chroma 10000dpi - What Sensor? 1 minute ago
- › Greetings from somewhere in California :D 1 minute ago
- › OCN Water Cooling Club And Picture Gallery 1 minute ago
- › Gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3 rev 4.0 and fx-8320 1 minute ago
- › CM PSU coil whine and system reboots - advice please 2 minutes ago
- › Razer Inc. Blade 2014 128GB by ledzepp3
- › Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" SATA Internal Hard Drive... by Nfsdude0125
- › Intel Core i7-4790K Processor- BX80646I74790K by Stream12
- › Sapphire Radeon R9 280X VAPOR-X Video Card by tabascosauz
- › Philips 40" BDM4065UC 4K Monitor by sam66er
- › COOLER MASTER V700 RS700-AFBAG1-US 700W Power Supply by DVIELIS
- › Corsair Vengeance M65 Black Wired Laser Gaming Mouse by levalencia
- › Ensourced Custom Full Cable Set by Wiz766
- › NZXT Digital Controller Cooling Fan with Grid AC-GRIDP-M1 by Depauville Kid
- › Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound by thetalljs
- › Seasonic Fanless PSU Noise
- › The Minecraft Server "Ok" Minimum
- › nVidia/AMD Graphics Cards BSOD 116/1033 Fix |...
- › To built a 4k monitor gaming rig - what type...
- › What Could Have Been - The PlayStation 4 APU
- › How to Get Linux Ubuntu Working with a GTX970...
- › The 2014 Year In Tech
- › Editors Pick Deals - Black Friday 2014
- › How to Solder Electronics
- › Broken CM Storm Xornet scroll wheel