Well my order from SVC.com arrived yesterday afternoon around 2:30pm. Did the teardown and couldn't believe what I found, nearly 3cm of my cpu was completely uncovered!!! No wonder my temperatures started to take off, still didn't make a difference ultimately. Having reseated my Xiggy 3 previous times (correctly mind you ), I was still getting 41C idle with ambient at ~26C. Now I'm getting around 36-38C (there's some bouncing, meh) and I'm much happier. I'll look into another Scythe 1900rpm Slipstream and maybe some shrouds to see if I can't get the temps down even further.
I got even more bad news as I attempted to install my AM2 adapter only to find that it didn't fit . I ended up cutting off about a 3x3mm segment at the cpu socket lever arm and blending it into the bends near the corners. Yes, I know it floats some, but this literally wouldn't screw down, it was that far off. A Dremel and ream fixed the problem after I found out that my little cutting wheels weren't up to the job. I don't like cutting things up that I just bought, but it was that or have the Megahalems facing the wrong way .
So all in all, I rearranged some fans, added some fans, and got a better heatsink. I'm still in the process of testing that last bit and I've got some cleanup left on the wiring, lots of fan wiring makes for a BIG mess. I believe I read someplace that Orthos will torture my CPU more, so I think that I'll run that to get my temperatures up.
Exhaust - 1 rear (120x38 90cfm), 2 top (120x25 72cfm)
Total cfm: 234
Intake - 1 side (GPU 120x38 90cfm), 1 front (120x25 110cfm thermally controlled)
1 behind mobo tray (80x15 18cfm)
Total cfm: 218
CPU - 1 120x25 110cfm pointed toward the rear exhaust
Circulating - 1 at rear of 5.25" drive bays (120x25 44cfm)
1 at bottom pointed at GPU (120x25 44cfm)
Exhaust - 1 rear (120x38 90cfm), 1 side (GPU 120x38 90cfm)
Total cfm: 180
Intake - 2 top (GPU 120x25 72cfm), 1 front (120x25 43cfm)
1 behind mobo tray (80x15 18cfm)
Total cfm: 205
CPU - 1 120x25 56cfm pointed down at the GPU
Circulating - 0
SilenX: 2 120x38 90cfm, 2 120x25 72cfm, 1 80x15 18cfm
Cooler Master: 1 120x25 110cfm, 2 120x25 44cfm
Scythe: 1 120x25 110cfm
Yes, I know I have a negative pressure case now (218cfm intake, 234cfm exhaust), but it's all for a good cause, OVERCLOCKING .
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 3228 Active Users (741 Members and 2487 Guests)
- › Good games to play 13 seconds ago
- › [Official] Nvidia GeForce GTX TITAN X Owners Club 1 minute ago
- › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club 1 minute ago
- › [Build Log] TRiCLOPS (HAF-XB, RIVE BE, LIQUID!!!!) (BACK-2-BLAHH) 2 minutes ago
- › [Official] AMD R9 295X2 Owners Club 2 minutes ago
- › GTA graphics issues, help? 2 minutes ago
- › Nepton 280L Pump Whine 3 minutes ago
- › Trouble Overclocking i5 2500K with Biostar tz68a+ motherboard,... 4 minutes ago
- › [Build Log] CASELABS SMA8 Gunmetal/White Two Tone(2011-V3 Socket)... 5 minutes ago
- › [Official] S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Fan Club 5 minutes ago
- › ASRock Fatal1ty FM2A88X+ Killer ATX AMD Motherboard by rebaygsda
- › Intel Core i7-5960X Processor by superericla
- › Intel Core i7-5930K Processor by Kylar182
- › BIOSTAR H81MHV3 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard by Elektro
- › Dell UltraSharp U2515H 25-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor by Manticorp
- › QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution ll 27" 2560x1440 WQHD PLS (LG IPS)... by Checkm8
- › Biostar TA970 Plus by Undervolter
- › HP ENVY 32-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor Quad-HD by johnadams
- › Corsair K70 RGB Mechanical Keyboard (Cherry MX Red) by 15goudreau
- › Aqua Computer Flow sensor "high flow" G1/4 for aquaero by Artah
- › A collection of thoughts about graphics cards...
- › Intel Haswell CPU review - Core i7 4790K,...
- › Seasonic Fanless PSU Noise
- › The Minecraft Server "Ok" Minimum
- › nVidia/AMD Graphics Cards BSOD 116/1033 Fix |...
- › To built a 4k monitor gaming rig - what type...
- › What Could Have Been - The PlayStation 4 APU
- › How to Get Linux Ubuntu Working with a GTX970...
- › The 2014 Year In Tech
- › Editors Pick Deals - Black Friday 2014