Well my order from SVC.com arrived yesterday afternoon around 2:30pm. Did the teardown and couldn't believe what I found, nearly 3cm of my cpu was completely uncovered!!! No wonder my temperatures started to take off, still didn't make a difference ultimately. Having reseated my Xiggy 3 previous times (correctly mind you ), I was still getting 41C idle with ambient at ~26C. Now I'm getting around 36-38C (there's some bouncing, meh) and I'm much happier. I'll look into another Scythe 1900rpm Slipstream and maybe some shrouds to see if I can't get the temps down even further.
I got even more bad news as I attempted to install my AM2 adapter only to find that it didn't fit . I ended up cutting off about a 3x3mm segment at the cpu socket lever arm and blending it into the bends near the corners. Yes, I know it floats some, but this literally wouldn't screw down, it was that far off. A Dremel and ream fixed the problem after I found out that my little cutting wheels weren't up to the job. I don't like cutting things up that I just bought, but it was that or have the Megahalems facing the wrong way .
So all in all, I rearranged some fans, added some fans, and got a better heatsink. I'm still in the process of testing that last bit and I've got some cleanup left on the wiring, lots of fan wiring makes for a BIG mess. I believe I read someplace that Orthos will torture my CPU more, so I think that I'll run that to get my temperatures up.
Exhaust - 1 rear (120x38 90cfm), 2 top (120x25 72cfm)
Total cfm: 234
Intake - 1 side (GPU 120x38 90cfm), 1 front (120x25 110cfm thermally controlled)
1 behind mobo tray (80x15 18cfm)
Total cfm: 218
CPU - 1 120x25 110cfm pointed toward the rear exhaust
Circulating - 1 at rear of 5.25" drive bays (120x25 44cfm)
1 at bottom pointed at GPU (120x25 44cfm)
Exhaust - 1 rear (120x38 90cfm), 1 side (GPU 120x38 90cfm)
Total cfm: 180
Intake - 2 top (GPU 120x25 72cfm), 1 front (120x25 43cfm)
1 behind mobo tray (80x15 18cfm)
Total cfm: 205
CPU - 1 120x25 56cfm pointed down at the GPU
Circulating - 0
SilenX: 2 120x38 90cfm, 2 120x25 72cfm, 1 80x15 18cfm
Cooler Master: 1 120x25 110cfm, 2 120x25 44cfm
Scythe: 1 120x25 110cfm
Yes, I know I have a negative pressure case now (218cfm intake, 234cfm exhaust), but it's all for a good cause, OVERCLOCKING .
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 3653 Active Users (750 Members and 2903 Guests)
- › [Sponsored] Excessive Insanity 2 computers in a Case Labs TX10-D... 2 seconds ago
- › [Gamestop]Ryse: Son of Rome 9.99usd 29 seconds ago
- › [ExtremeTech]Most DirectX 12 features won’t require a new graphics... 1 minute ago
- › cpu isnt performing as it should? 1 minute ago
- › Best Way to Install Steam Games On An SSD 2 minutes ago
- › Identity - Modern-day open-world MMORPG with complete freedom and a... 2 minutes ago
- › How to keep a mousepad from moving on a wooden table? 2 minutes ago
- › [Giveaway] Overclock.net Swiftech H220X Giveaway!!! 3 minutes ago
- › SM8 VS SMA8 3 minutes ago
- › Sapphire VAPOR-X + TRI-X Owners Club 3 minutes ago
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by 8bitG33k
- › ZOWIE GEAR EC2-A Gaming Mouse by Ino.
- › MSI B85-G41 PC MATE Intel B85 Motherboard Bundle by khairlines
- › GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX Intel Motherboard by Dan-H
- › ASRock X99M Extreme4 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard by Richard Eckert
- › Intel Pentium G2030 / 3 GHz processor by Kosenator
- › XSPC Raystorm CPU Block for Intel Socket LGA 775, 1156, 1155, 1366,... by ffhammack
- › XSPC D5 reservoir by ffhammack
- › XSPC EX240 by ffhammack
- › FinalMouse 2015 by kaptchka
- › The Minecraft Server "Ok" Minimum
- › nVidia/AMD Graphics Cards BSOD 116/1033 Fix |...
- › To built a 4k monitor gaming rig - what type...
- › What Could Have Been - The PlayStation 4 APU
- › How to Get Linux Ubuntu Working with a GTX970...
- › The 2014 Year In Tech
- › Editors Pick Deals - Black Friday 2014
- › How to Solder Electronics
- › Broken CM Storm Xornet scroll wheel
- › A Troubling Trend