Well my order from SVC.com arrived yesterday afternoon around 2:30pm. Did the teardown and couldn't believe what I found, nearly 3cm of my cpu was completely uncovered!!! No wonder my temperatures started to take off, still didn't make a difference ultimately. Having reseated my Xiggy 3 previous times (correctly mind you ), I was still getting 41C idle with ambient at ~26C. Now I'm getting around 36-38C (there's some bouncing, meh) and I'm much happier. I'll look into another Scythe 1900rpm Slipstream and maybe some shrouds to see if I can't get the temps down even further.
I got even more bad news as I attempted to install my AM2 adapter only to find that it didn't fit . I ended up cutting off about a 3x3mm segment at the cpu socket lever arm and blending it into the bends near the corners. Yes, I know it floats some, but this literally wouldn't screw down, it was that far off. A Dremel and ream fixed the problem after I found out that my little cutting wheels weren't up to the job. I don't like cutting things up that I just bought, but it was that or have the Megahalems facing the wrong way .
So all in all, I rearranged some fans, added some fans, and got a better heatsink. I'm still in the process of testing that last bit and I've got some cleanup left on the wiring, lots of fan wiring makes for a BIG mess. I believe I read someplace that Orthos will torture my CPU more, so I think that I'll run that to get my temperatures up.
Exhaust - 1 rear (120x38 90cfm), 2 top (120x25 72cfm)
Total cfm: 234
Intake - 1 side (GPU 120x38 90cfm), 1 front (120x25 110cfm thermally controlled)
1 behind mobo tray (80x15 18cfm)
Total cfm: 218
CPU - 1 120x25 110cfm pointed toward the rear exhaust
Circulating - 1 at rear of 5.25" drive bays (120x25 44cfm)
1 at bottom pointed at GPU (120x25 44cfm)
Exhaust - 1 rear (120x38 90cfm), 1 side (GPU 120x38 90cfm)
Total cfm: 180
Intake - 2 top (GPU 120x25 72cfm), 1 front (120x25 43cfm)
1 behind mobo tray (80x15 18cfm)
Total cfm: 205
CPU - 1 120x25 56cfm pointed down at the GPU
Circulating - 0
SilenX: 2 120x38 90cfm, 2 120x25 72cfm, 1 80x15 18cfm
Cooler Master: 1 120x25 110cfm, 2 120x25 44cfm
Scythe: 1 120x25 110cfm
Yes, I know I have a negative pressure case now (218cfm intake, 234cfm exhaust), but it's all for a good cause, OVERCLOCKING .
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2105 Active Users (479 Members and 1626 Guests)
- › [WCCF] AMD CPU And GPU Roadmaps For 2015-2020 Officially Emerge 1 second ago
- › 4K tv as PC monitor? 2 seconds ago
- › [Official] Counter Strike Global Offensive Thread 1 minute ago
- › Gaming and mouse response BIOS optimization guide for modern PC... 1 minute ago
- › Big Bang Theorists We are in it for the LoL's and the Music 3 minutes ago
- › System Hanging If USB Devices Plugged In 4 minutes ago
- › 4k monitor or 1440p? 4 minutes ago
- › To SSD or not to SSD.......... 7 minutes ago
- › Looking for 4K UHD TV for Gaming and Productivity 8 minutes ago
- › [Official] Nvidia GeForce GTX TITAN X Owners Club 9 minutes ago
- › AMD FX-8300 FD8300WMW8KHK CPU Processor 3.3GHz (Max 4.2GHz) 8-core... by Agent Smith1984
- › ASRock Fatal1ty 970 Performance AM3+/AM3 Super Alloy Motherboard by Agent Smith1984
- › Philips Fidelio X1/28 Premium Over-Ear Headphones by 8bitG33k
- › GeForce GTX Titan X by DimmyK
- › Logitech's G710+ Mechanical Keyboard by obikenobi27
- › Razer DeathAdder Chroma - Multi-Color Ergonomic Gaming Mouse by obikenobi27
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 by ghost_z
- › Sennheiser CX 3.00 Red In-Ear Canal Headphone by Nfsdude0125
- › Battlefield Hardline - PC by wes1099
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD900X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by WilliamGayde
- › Seasonic Fanless PSU Noise
- › The Minecraft Server "Ok" Minimum
- › nVidia/AMD Graphics Cards BSOD 116/1033 Fix |...
- › To built a 4k monitor gaming rig - what type...
- › What Could Have Been - The PlayStation 4 APU
- › How to Get Linux Ubuntu Working with a GTX970...
- › The 2014 Year In Tech
- › Editors Pick Deals - Black Friday 2014
- › How to Solder Electronics
- › Broken CM Storm Xornet scroll wheel