Well, I read a thread today that (inevitably) got blocked/taken down by an admin/mod.
It's amazing how misperceptions can lead to offence and argument.
The thread about things to ban other than video games that was taken down just so happened to state that "although Canada has looser gun laws than the states, they also have less crime".
Well... looser... Let's define the word looser.
Looser: connotes a high degree of flexibility, with lack of consequence and a high degree that the laws that ARE put in place would not be followed or backed up by the authorities.
So, let's see... Canada's gun laws, by comparison.
In some states in the USA you have to, by law, have at least one gun per household/apartment.
In ALL Provinces/Territories, you are not allowed owning a gun without a permit, and the ones you are allowed have to either have a concrete barrel for collectors, or must be limited to hunting rifles which must be stored in a proper, locked case.
In the states there are shops to buy guns. Just guns. Any types of guns, from handguns to shotguns to rifles to... you get the point.
If you're caught with a pistol and you're not in a position of authority or have special authorization (CSIS anybody?) then you WILL be persecuted. If you're caught with any non-hunting classed 'gun', you will be persecuted.
There is a rigorous screening and mental health test to determine whether or not you are entitled to own a hunting rifle/gun (shotgun), and a similar process to give you the hunting permit that allows you to even USE the weapon. In Canada, anyways.
If you are a member of a gun club (I'm not sure if the few that were left in Canada are still open anymore or not) you have to leave the club gun in the club vault.
In the states, you can bring in or rent a weapon to fire at the firing range at the gun club or gun club affiliate range.
The guns that ARE used in crime in Canada were smuggled in from the states or other areas.
The guns that are used in crime in the states are either owned by the perpetrator, stolen by, bought illegally by, or borrowed by the perpetrator.
Life in prison is expected for any unauthorized transport, use, or ownership of a gun. In Canada.
In the states, you can get as little as a few months to just one day, depending on what it is you did.
Looser? Someone obviously didn't do his homework...
Currently, there are 3375 Active Users (707 Members and 2668 Guests)
- › New build questions 7 seconds ago
- › Mayhems users club 19 seconds ago
- › [EVGA] Evga GTX 980 Classified 20 seconds ago
- › [HI] SSD mega round-up: Sixty 256/512 SATA600 SSDs tested 46 seconds ago
- › [G3D]ASUS Strix 7.1 Gaming Headset Released 3 minutes ago
- › [Walmart and Amazon] Netgear R6300 AC1750 Wireless Router... 3 minutes ago
- › Infinity 3 minutes ago
- › Here's my budget, now SHOP FOR ME 3 minutes ago
- › Appraisal: evga gtx 980 unopened, brand new. 3 minutes ago
- › ASUS Z97 Motherboards - Official Support Thread 4 minutes ago
- › APEVIA X-Sniper X-SNIPER2-GN Computer Case With Side Panel Window by darkapollo
- › Noppoo "Lolita" Red Backlight Edition w/ Noppoo's... by DatLoudTyper
- › ROCCAT Kone Pure Core Performance 8200DPI Pro-Aim R3 Laser Sensor... by HengHoot
- › Ducky Zero Shine Zone DK2108SZ by HengHoot
- › Evercool SB-F1 Case Cooling Fan by Gareth Ward
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear... by hollowtek
- › Fractal Design FD-CA-ARC-XL-BL-W Computer Case by WilliamGayde
- › Aquacomputer Airplex Modularity System 360mm Radiator by sunyata
- › Phobya Balancer 250 Silver Nickel by sunyata
- › Bitspower 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD G1/4'' Compression... by sunyata
- › Editors Pick Deals - Black Friday 2014
- › How to Solder Electronics
- › Broken CM Storm Xornet scroll wheel
- › A Troubling Trend
- › The Truth About FPS
- › My First Case Mod!
- › GPU and CPU power connections
- › A Guide on how to fix Heat Problems
- › [Linux] How to enable backlight control and...
- › How To: Activate a 2012/2012 R2 Virtual Machine