Well, I read a thread today that (inevitably) got blocked/taken down by an admin/mod.
It's amazing how misperceptions can lead to offence and argument.
The thread about things to ban other than video games that was taken down just so happened to state that "although Canada has looser gun laws than the states, they also have less crime".
Well... looser... Let's define the word looser.
Looser: connotes a high degree of flexibility, with lack of consequence and a high degree that the laws that ARE put in place would not be followed or backed up by the authorities.
So, let's see... Canada's gun laws, by comparison.
In some states in the USA you have to, by law, have at least one gun per household/apartment.
In ALL Provinces/Territories, you are not allowed owning a gun without a permit, and the ones you are allowed have to either have a concrete barrel for collectors, or must be limited to hunting rifles which must be stored in a proper, locked case.
In the states there are shops to buy guns. Just guns. Any types of guns, from handguns to shotguns to rifles to... you get the point.
If you're caught with a pistol and you're not in a position of authority or have special authorization (CSIS anybody?) then you WILL be persecuted. If you're caught with any non-hunting classed 'gun', you will be persecuted.
There is a rigorous screening and mental health test to determine whether or not you are entitled to own a hunting rifle/gun (shotgun), and a similar process to give you the hunting permit that allows you to even USE the weapon. In Canada, anyways.
If you are a member of a gun club (I'm not sure if the few that were left in Canada are still open anymore or not) you have to leave the club gun in the club vault.
In the states, you can bring in or rent a weapon to fire at the firing range at the gun club or gun club affiliate range.
The guns that ARE used in crime in Canada were smuggled in from the states or other areas.
The guns that are used in crime in the states are either owned by the perpetrator, stolen by, bought illegally by, or borrowed by the perpetrator.
Life in prison is expected for any unauthorized transport, use, or ownership of a gun. In Canada.
In the states, you can get as little as a few months to just one day, depending on what it is you did.
Looser? Someone obviously didn't do his homework...
Currently, there are 3086 Active Users (406 Members and 2680 Guests)
- › astro a50 issue with using optical spdif with headset 26 seconds ago
- › The epic "what languages do you *regularly* code in" thead: 39 seconds ago
- › EVGA RMA issue 3 minutes ago
- › Overclock.net presents DotA 2 - Live Stream Event #2 4 minutes ago
- › The Gigabyte Z87/Haswell Overclocking(OC) Guide 5 minutes ago
- › [wccf] the Power of Fox Engine on PS4 With This Bright,... 9 minutes ago
- › Steelseries Sensei vs Zowie FK1 10 minutes ago
- › Intel Pentium G3258 Performance and Owners Thread 10 minutes ago
- › [Official] Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Owners Club! 12 minutes ago
- › Most useless/worst mouse you ever tried/used/buy [Discussion/fun... 12 minutes ago
- › Swiftech H220-X CPU Liquid Cooling Kit by ganzosrevenge
- › LG Nexus 5 D820 16GB Unlocked GSM 4G LTE Quad-Core Android... by Biosht
- › EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V/EPS12V 850W Power... by JackCY
- › Corsair Obsidian 350D by ganzosrevenge
- › Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power... by Bavarianbeast
- › CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler by rtprimo
- › Audio-Technica AT2020 USB Condenser USB Microphone by jameyscott
- › BitFenix Comrade BFC-COM-100-WWXS1-RP Computer Case by melek-taus
- › Asus Rampage III Extreme Socket 1366/ Intel X58/ 3-Way SLI &... by XtachiX
- › Supermicro ATX DDR3 2133 LGA 1150 Motherboards C7Z97-OCE-O by Hukkel
- › A Troubling Trend
- › The Truth About FPS
- › My First Case Mod!
- › GPU and CPU power connections
- › A Guide on how to fix Heat Problems
- › [Linux] How to enable backlight control and...
- › How To: Activate a 2012/2012 R2 Virtual Machine
- › Really long term project: Conversion from...
- › What I expect from Nvidia's Maxwell -...
- › mmm...my old graphiccard ... trow it, no...