Well, I read a thread today that (inevitably) got blocked/taken down by an admin/mod.
It's amazing how misperceptions can lead to offence and argument.
The thread about things to ban other than video games that was taken down just so happened to state that "although Canada has looser gun laws than the states, they also have less crime".
Well... looser... Let's define the word looser.
Looser: connotes a high degree of flexibility, with lack of consequence and a high degree that the laws that ARE put in place would not be followed or backed up by the authorities.
So, let's see... Canada's gun laws, by comparison.
In some states in the USA you have to, by law, have at least one gun per household/apartment.
In ALL Provinces/Territories, you are not allowed owning a gun without a permit, and the ones you are allowed have to either have a concrete barrel for collectors, or must be limited to hunting rifles which must be stored in a proper, locked case.
In the states there are shops to buy guns. Just guns. Any types of guns, from handguns to shotguns to rifles to... you get the point.
If you're caught with a pistol and you're not in a position of authority or have special authorization (CSIS anybody?) then you WILL be persecuted. If you're caught with any non-hunting classed 'gun', you will be persecuted.
There is a rigorous screening and mental health test to determine whether or not you are entitled to own a hunting rifle/gun (shotgun), and a similar process to give you the hunting permit that allows you to even USE the weapon. In Canada, anyways.
If you are a member of a gun club (I'm not sure if the few that were left in Canada are still open anymore or not) you have to leave the club gun in the club vault.
In the states, you can bring in or rent a weapon to fire at the firing range at the gun club or gun club affiliate range.
The guns that ARE used in crime in Canada were smuggled in from the states or other areas.
The guns that are used in crime in the states are either owned by the perpetrator, stolen by, bought illegally by, or borrowed by the perpetrator.
Life in prison is expected for any unauthorized transport, use, or ownership of a gun. In Canada.
In the states, you can get as little as a few months to just one day, depending on what it is you did.
Looser? Someone obviously didn't do his homework...
Currently, there are 3397 Active Users (773 Members and 2624 Guests)
- › Hello overclock nation! 4 seconds ago
- › [Multiple] North Korean Internet Goes Dark in Wake of Sony Hack 12 seconds ago
- › World of Warcraft - Warlords of Draenor discussion 17 seconds ago
- › [Official] ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q Owner's club 25 seconds ago
- › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 970 Owner's Club 32 seconds ago
- › What do you think of this HTPC setup (sub 100 bucks). 53 seconds ago
- › i7 2600K + p8p67 pro B2 stepping 1 minute ago
- › [ScienceDaily] Instant-start computers possible with new breakthrough 2 minutes ago
- › need ur alls thoughts on this pc 2 minutes ago
- › Swiftech H220/H320/H220X/H240X and CM Glacer 240L/360L Owners' Club 2 minutes ago
- › Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Arctic White Silent ATX Mid... by azanimefan
- › Far Cry 4 by Thready
- › Corsair Commander Mini by aka13
- › Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK by geggeg
- › AOC E1759fwu 17-Inch Class, USB 3.0 Powered, Portable LCD / LED... by WilliamGayde
- › MSI Z97-Gaming 5 ATX Intel Motherboard by MunchenOC
- › ACER 28IN LED 3840X2160 B286HK YMJDPPRZ HDMI DVI BLK 2MS /... by Ironman517
- › Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 CC-9011034-WLED Computer Case by bilbs84
- › EK Waterblocks EK-FC770 GTX - Nickel by bilbs84
- › Phobya Balancer 250 Silver Nickel by bilbs84
- › Editors Pick Deals - Black Friday 2014
- › How to Solder Electronics
- › Broken CM Storm Xornet scroll wheel
- › A Troubling Trend
- › The Truth About FPS
- › My First Case Mod!
- › GPU and CPU power connections
- › A Guide on how to fix Heat Problems
- › [Linux] How to enable backlight control and...
- › How To: Activate a 2012/2012 R2 Virtual Machine