Well, I read a thread today that (inevitably) got blocked/taken down by an admin/mod.
It's amazing how misperceptions can lead to offence and argument.
The thread about things to ban other than video games that was taken down just so happened to state that "although Canada has looser gun laws than the states, they also have less crime".
Well... looser... Let's define the word looser.
Looser: connotes a high degree of flexibility, with lack of consequence and a high degree that the laws that ARE put in place would not be followed or backed up by the authorities.
So, let's see... Canada's gun laws, by comparison.
In some states in the USA you have to, by law, have at least one gun per household/apartment.
In ALL Provinces/Territories, you are not allowed owning a gun without a permit, and the ones you are allowed have to either have a concrete barrel for collectors, or must be limited to hunting rifles which must be stored in a proper, locked case.
In the states there are shops to buy guns. Just guns. Any types of guns, from handguns to shotguns to rifles to... you get the point.
If you're caught with a pistol and you're not in a position of authority or have special authorization (CSIS anybody?) then you WILL be persecuted. If you're caught with any non-hunting classed 'gun', you will be persecuted.
There is a rigorous screening and mental health test to determine whether or not you are entitled to own a hunting rifle/gun (shotgun), and a similar process to give you the hunting permit that allows you to even USE the weapon. In Canada, anyways.
If you are a member of a gun club (I'm not sure if the few that were left in Canada are still open anymore or not) you have to leave the club gun in the club vault.
In the states, you can bring in or rent a weapon to fire at the firing range at the gun club or gun club affiliate range.
The guns that ARE used in crime in Canada were smuggled in from the states or other areas.
The guns that are used in crime in the states are either owned by the perpetrator, stolen by, bought illegally by, or borrowed by the perpetrator.
Life in prison is expected for any unauthorized transport, use, or ownership of a gun. In Canada.
In the states, you can get as little as a few months to just one day, depending on what it is you did.
Looser? Someone obviously didn't do his homework...
Currently, there are 2861 Active Users (517 Members and 2344 Guests)
- › [Various] Call of Duty: WW2 officially confirmed by Activision 14 seconds ago
- › Asrock X370 Taichi Overclocking Thread 32 seconds ago
- › How do these sound for a ryzen build? 52 seconds ago
- › Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Thread 1 minute ago
- › [VC] NVIDIA launches TITAN Xp with 3840 CUDA cores (faster G5X) 1 minute ago
- › My upgraded build - SMA8 edition 1 minute ago
- › [Official] RYZEN 7 1800X | 1700X |1700 Owners Club & 4GHz+ Club 3 minutes ago
- › Any one tried 3d max v-ray render on reyzen CPU? 3 minutes ago
- › [Official] MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM AM4 Owners Club 3 minutes ago
- › [Official] Corsair Hydro Series Club 4 minutes ago
- › XFX Gts XXX Edition Rx 580 8GB OC+ 1386Mhz DDR5 3xDP HDMI DVI... by Jedson3614
- › GIGABYTE GM-M6980X Black Wired Pro-Laser Mouse by ramonamiller
- › Orion TV 22 inch by fedrosishere
- › Kanto YU4 Powered Speakers with Bluetooth and Phono Preamp - Gloss... by SightUp
- › Gigabyte XTREME Gaming Mouse (GM-XM300) by orlahirish
- › Superlux HD 681 Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones by raisethe3
- › Logitech G Pro Gaming FPS Mouse with Advanced Gaming Sensor for... by raisethe3
- › AMD YD1700BBAEBOX Ryzen 7 1700 Processor with Wraith Spire LED Cooler by bluedevil
- › Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical 1.1A by 1n5aN1aC
- › DIYPC Alpha-GT3 Bench Computer Case by rediornot
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency
- › Multi Tasking on Intel Haswell CPU's