Well, since my last blog I've gotten a new HD for my laptop. I've loaded both XP and Ubuntu 8.04 on it.
I guess I have to take back "first impressions" as I've been using Xubuntu for my file server for quite a while now.
In all honesty the whole setup for Ubuntu and it's different GUI derivatives has been good with a few caveats. In each installation I've had a few things I've needed to get nitty-gritty with in order to either get functionality I wanted or, in the case of my laptop, functionality I need.
Interface is fun overall, used KDE, Gnome, and XFCE thus far and I have to say, I really prefer it to the standard Windows interfaces.
However, when I'm actually setting up stuff the root privileges are nigh as annoying as Vista's UAC.
Back to the aforementioned problems I guess...
Keep in mind that I've never used any linux-derivative for any major period of time, and have pretty much had to learn CLI, compiling, and etc. much quicker than I expected...
Xubuntu + my fileserver:
S3 IGP... Oh, yea you know what I mean if you've encountered it. Compiling an OpenChrome driver without ever having done so or ever having read over the procedure for before. I swear, I was on a general VESA driver for the longest time.
mdadm... haha, I made this one harder on myself than necessary. I kept trying to use the hardware options, when in the end I went with an mdadm software array.
Vino instead of VNC... woo boy, learning XFCE doesn't have remote access and finding VNC being a PITA to get working, I went with Vino and it's password backend was a fun and easy learning experience.
now for Ubuntu + my laptop:
everything works well. one very annoying problem however...
Broadcom 43 firmware. fun stuff, I have the driver to use it, but just recently pieced together that there isn't the firmware to make the hardware work. yipee! -_-
This one's getting rectified shortly however.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2459 Active Users (390 Members and 2069 Guests)
- › Wow since when Amazon is scamming us ? I bought Z270 Formula and... 32 seconds ago
- › [TC] Volkswagen to offer electric versions of all of its vehicles... 2 minutes ago
- › Why not more 5k monitors? 3 minutes ago
- › [guru3d] AMD RTG Raja Koduri Takes A Temporary Leave 4 minutes ago
- › [Official] Vega Frontier / RX Vega Owners Thread 5 minutes ago
- › [Asus] PG35VQ - 35" Swift G-Sync, 3440x1440, HDR, 200HZ Display. 7 minutes ago
- › [Official] Corsair Hydro Series Club 7 minutes ago
- › Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Thread 7 minutes ago
- › [Official] Case PHANTEKS Case Club for lovers & owners 8 minutes ago
- › Corsair vengeance lpx 3200 (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) 9 minutes ago
- › Corsair Obsidian 750D Computer Case With Side Panel Window by The_Rocker
- › Asus Xonar Essence STX 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card by The_Rocker
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by The_Rocker
- › Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W... by foofer1233
- › Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 1 LGA 2011 Processor - BX80619I73930K by powerhouse
- › HDPLEX H5 Fanless Computer Chassis by michelme67
- › Nuance Power PDF Standard by Lady Fitzgerald
- › ID-COOLING SE214L Snow Edition CPU Heatsink by DaveLT
- › Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)... by ADmodz
- › Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 (Dark Silver) (920-003366) by enes13mes
- › Hands-On: TCL 55″ P-Series 4K HDR TV is...
- › (OPINION) AMD shot themselves in the foot by...
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...