Just recently, I realized that I really had to do something about my network. As more and more machines continue to be added to my LAN, and as my sister starts discovering streaming media, both my LAN and WAN transfers are slowing down considerably, too much for comfort I might even add. Gaming with decent pings is becoming a rare thing, and I'm at my sister's mercy when I'm lucky enough to get reasonable latencies: she can just open up the Jewtubes and make my game unplayable. Hell, even browsing while seeding a couple of torrents has become impossible. A nerger's gotta do what a nerger's gotta do: my parents have accepted to get a bigger pipe, but in the meanwhile it's optimization time.
The easiest and probably most profitable upgrade would probably be changing my router to a more recent gigabit variant (teamed gigabit NIC on my 680i have been begging for this). My entire house is wired in CAT 5E anyways, so pulling off half-duplex gigabit isn't problem and the increase in performance, specially in a network attached storage on LAN context, is promising. People with newer routers have also noticed lower pings and faster overall internet as a result of the reduction of the latency from within the LAN.
Buying a new router is an interesting option, but there is a major downside, and that's the price of a quality gigabit router. Even off ebay, those things run for a 120$ minimum, and that's for a Netgear. My problem with putting 120$ on a router (or rather my father's problem) is that all the gigabit routers come with tons of useless features, IE 802.11N wireless with Super-Duper Range Booster Max Extreme Plus Improved and a 24 entry DMZ system. My sister's already growing a third arm because of prolonged exposition to all the wireless networks I have running in my house, and none of my wireless adaptors are N, I just DON'T NEED any of it! The challenge is now where to find a wired only gigabit router, either used or at a low price. I was thinking D-Link's GamerLounge special edition, but those things are very rare and run for the same price as Wireless N + Gigabit routers. If you think you have a router that I would like, please post it here.
Otherwise, I'm looking forward to accelerating web browsing with my new home server Annabel by setting up a DNS cache on LAN using DNSMasq, with the supposedly super fast and feature-full upsteam DNS servers from OpenDNS. People in larger LANs have used DNS caching to speed up things a lot, and browsing is supposed to be greatly improved, specially on pages where elements load from lots of different locations, ads from google, content from a seperate server, images from Flickr and videos from Youtube all at the same time for example. Anyways, the only thing that I care about it that it reduces traffic on the WAN side, I'll have to see if the difference in speed is that dramatic.
I also thought about scheduling torrents to run only during the morning and at night and when I'm not at my machine, but that's pretty much it. Now all I have to do is to wait for that 10 mbit symmetrical
I've been waiting for.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 3389 Active Users (708 Members and 2681 Guests)
- › Will a CM Extreme Power Plus 500W handle R9 280x? 23 seconds ago
- › is my laptop bottlenecked by its processor or HDD? 50 seconds ago
- › upgrade for me is this a good combo? 52 seconds ago
- › [Sponsored] Snef's Icy Blue Angel II 58 seconds ago
- › [AndroidAuthority] Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge hands-on and first... 59 seconds ago
- › [Freebie] Hitman: Absolution, Startopia & Lara Croft and the... 1 minute ago
- › best webcame to buy ( all the high end ones are 2012 models) ? 1 minute ago
- › [Amazon] Crucial BX100 500GB SATA 2.5 Inch @ 179.99 1 minute ago
- › Thermaltake Core X9 - Did Thermaltake just step up their game? 1 minute ago
- › [WCCFTech] AMD Radeon R9 390X Demo Possibly Coming At GDC 1 minute ago
- › Razer Inc. Blade 2014 128GB by ledzepp3
- › Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" SATA Internal Hard Drive... by Nfsdude0125
- › Intel Core i7-4790K Processor- BX80646I74790K by Stream12
- › Sapphire Radeon R9 280X VAPOR-X Video Card by tabascosauz
- › Philips 40" BDM4065UC 4K Monitor by sam66er
- › COOLER MASTER V700 RS700-AFBAG1-US 700W Power Supply by DVIELIS
- › Corsair Vengeance M65 Black Wired Laser Gaming Mouse by levalencia
- › Ensourced Custom Full Cable Set by Wiz766
- › NZXT Digital Controller Cooling Fan with Grid AC-GRIDP-M1 by Depauville Kid
- › Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound by thetalljs
- › Seasonic Fanless PSU Noise
- › The Minecraft Server "Ok" Minimum
- › nVidia/AMD Graphics Cards BSOD 116/1033 Fix |...
- › To built a 4k monitor gaming rig - what type...
- › What Could Have Been - The PlayStation 4 APU
- › How to Get Linux Ubuntu Working with a GTX970...
- › The 2014 Year In Tech
- › Editors Pick Deals - Black Friday 2014
- › How to Solder Electronics
- › Broken CM Storm Xornet scroll wheel