Just recently, I realized that I really had to do something about my network. As more and more machines continue to be added to my LAN, and as my sister starts discovering streaming media, both my LAN and WAN transfers are slowing down considerably, too much for comfort I might even add. Gaming with decent pings is becoming a rare thing, and I'm at my sister's mercy when I'm lucky enough to get reasonable latencies: she can just open up the Jewtubes and make my game unplayable. Hell, even browsing while seeding a couple of torrents has become impossible. A nerger's gotta do what a nerger's gotta do: my parents have accepted to get a bigger pipe, but in the meanwhile it's optimization time.
The easiest and probably most profitable upgrade would probably be changing my router to a more recent gigabit variant (teamed gigabit NIC on my 680i have been begging for this). My entire house is wired in CAT 5E anyways, so pulling off half-duplex gigabit isn't problem and the increase in performance, specially in a network attached storage on LAN context, is promising. People with newer routers have also noticed lower pings and faster overall internet as a result of the reduction of the latency from within the LAN.
Buying a new router is an interesting option, but there is a major downside, and that's the price of a quality gigabit router. Even off ebay, those things run for a 120$ minimum, and that's for a Netgear. My problem with putting 120$ on a router (or rather my father's problem) is that all the gigabit routers come with tons of useless features, IE 802.11N wireless with Super-Duper Range Booster Max Extreme Plus Improved and a 24 entry DMZ system. My sister's already growing a third arm because of prolonged exposition to all the wireless networks I have running in my house, and none of my wireless adaptors are N, I just DON'T NEED any of it! The challenge is now where to find a wired only gigabit router, either used or at a low price. I was thinking D-Link's GamerLounge special edition, but those things are very rare and run for the same price as Wireless N + Gigabit routers. If you think you have a router that I would like, please post it here.
Otherwise, I'm looking forward to accelerating web browsing with my new home server Annabel by setting up a DNS cache on LAN using DNSMasq, with the supposedly super fast and feature-full upsteam DNS servers from OpenDNS. People in larger LANs have used DNS caching to speed up things a lot, and browsing is supposed to be greatly improved, specially on pages where elements load from lots of different locations, ads from google, content from a seperate server, images from Flickr and videos from Youtube all at the same time for example. Anyways, the only thing that I care about it that it reduces traffic on the WAN side, I'll have to see if the difference in speed is that dramatic.
I also thought about scheduling torrents to run only during the morning and at night and when I'm not at my machine, but that's pretty much it. Now all I have to do is to wait for that 10 mbit symmetrical
I've been waiting for.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2446 Active Users (627 Members and 1819 Guests)
- › [Tweaktown] Microsoft unveils an Xbox controller made specifically... 1 second ago
- › [WCCF] GTX 980 Details Revealed 64 ROPs, HDMI 2.0, 2048 CUDA Cores... 48 seconds ago
- › [TheVerge] iPhone 6 Review 1 minute ago
- › Samsung 840 EVO read speed drops on old-written data in the drive 1 minute ago
- › [ABC] New tarantula discovered, scientist 'excited' by venom's... 1 minute ago
- › Custom Computer Panel 2 minutes ago
- › == Haswell-E Overclock Leaderboard & Owners Club == 2 minutes ago
- › Silverstone Sugo SG05/06 Owners' Club 2 minutes ago
- › stupid stupid stupid question opening case on a u300s 2 minutes ago
- › [The Official] OCN 24/7 Folders Club 4 minutes ago
- › Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R1) by Gavush
- › Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z Computer Case With Side... by Gavush
- › Corsair K70 RGB Mechanical Keyboard (Cherry MX Red) by Sideways8LV
- › EPSON WorkForce 630 Wireless InkJet MFC / All-In-One Color Printer... by Thready
- › THL 5000 5" FHD IPS MTK6592T Octa Core Android 4.4 Phone 13MP... by voodooxxx
- › Logitech G600 by The Andoxico
- › Audioengine B1 Premium Bluetooth Music Receiver by WilliamGayde
- › Cooler Master Seidon 120V - PC CPU Liquid Water Cooling System,... by DaUn3rD0g
- › 120GB SSDNOW V300 SATA 3 2.5 W/ADAPTER by Crazycuda
- › LG Nexus 5 D820 16GB Unlocked GSM 4G LTE Quad-Core Android... by Thready
- › How to Solder Electronics
- › Broken CM Storm Xornet scroll wheel
- › A Troubling Trend
- › The Truth About FPS
- › My First Case Mod!
- › GPU and CPU power connections
- › A Guide on how to fix Heat Problems
- › [Linux] How to enable backlight control and...
- › How To: Activate a 2012/2012 R2 Virtual Machine
- › Really long term project: Conversion from...