Just recently, I realized that I really had to do something about my network. As more and more machines continue to be added to my LAN, and as my sister starts discovering streaming media, both my LAN and WAN transfers are slowing down considerably, too much for comfort I might even add. Gaming with decent pings is becoming a rare thing, and I'm at my sister's mercy when I'm lucky enough to get reasonable latencies: she can just open up the Jewtubes and make my game unplayable. Hell, even browsing while seeding a couple of torrents has become impossible. A nerger's gotta do what a nerger's gotta do: my parents have accepted to get a bigger pipe, but in the meanwhile it's optimization time.
The easiest and probably most profitable upgrade would probably be changing my router to a more recent gigabit variant (teamed gigabit NIC on my 680i have been begging for this). My entire house is wired in CAT 5E anyways, so pulling off half-duplex gigabit isn't problem and the increase in performance, specially in a network attached storage on LAN context, is promising. People with newer routers have also noticed lower pings and faster overall internet as a result of the reduction of the latency from within the LAN.
Buying a new router is an interesting option, but there is a major downside, and that's the price of a quality gigabit router. Even off ebay, those things run for a 120$ minimum, and that's for a Netgear. My problem with putting 120$ on a router (or rather my father's problem) is that all the gigabit routers come with tons of useless features, IE 802.11N wireless with Super-Duper Range Booster Max Extreme Plus Improved and a 24 entry DMZ system. My sister's already growing a third arm because of prolonged exposition to all the wireless networks I have running in my house, and none of my wireless adaptors are N, I just DON'T NEED any of it! The challenge is now where to find a wired only gigabit router, either used or at a low price. I was thinking D-Link's GamerLounge special edition, but those things are very rare and run for the same price as Wireless N + Gigabit routers. If you think you have a router that I would like, please post it here.
Otherwise, I'm looking forward to accelerating web browsing with my new home server Annabel by setting up a DNS cache on LAN using DNSMasq, with the supposedly super fast and feature-full upsteam DNS servers from OpenDNS. People in larger LANs have used DNS caching to speed up things a lot, and browsing is supposed to be greatly improved, specially on pages where elements load from lots of different locations, ads from google, content from a seperate server, images from Flickr and videos from Youtube all at the same time for example. Anyways, the only thing that I care about it that it reduces traffic on the WAN side, I'll have to see if the difference in speed is that dramatic.
I also thought about scheduling torrents to run only during the morning and at night and when I'm not at my machine, but that's pretty much it. Now all I have to do is to wait for that 10 mbit symmetrical
I've been waiting for.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2615 Active Users (444 Members and 2171 Guests)
- › [Official] RYZEN 7 1800X | 1700X |1700 Owners Club & 4GHz+ Club 1 second ago
- › ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread 8 seconds ago
- › [freeNas]Introducing FreeNAS Corral: The World’s First Open Source... 1 minute ago
- › Tt eSports Ventus X Optical(3360) Announced 3 minutes ago
- › OMEN X by HP 35 Curved Gaming Display with NVIDIA G-SYNC Thread 3 minutes ago
- › [Bloomberg] Uber to Suspend Autonomous Tests After Arizona Accident 4 minutes ago
- › [Official] Radeon RX480/470/460 Owners Club 4 minutes ago
- › Headphones for PC gaming 5 minutes ago
- › Mice that are easier to grip at the back/have forward sensor... 6 minutes ago
- › [DSO] Final Fantasy XV running on NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX1080Ti 6 minutes ago
- › NZXT Kraken X52 All-in-One CPU Liquid Cooling System Cooling, Black... by Duality92
- › Nixeus REVEL Gaming Mouse - PixArt PMW 3360 Sensor with 8 Preset... by Duality92
- › Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800 by Khalaharee
- › Creative Labs K08 & M04 by Jedson3614
- › G.Skill Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Full RGB (RIPJAWS KM570 RGB,... by Duality92
- › Phononic HEX 2.0 Thermoelectric CPU Cooler, Black by Duality92
- › BitFenix Shogun E-ATX Dual Tempered Glass Gaming Case with Asus... by Duality92
- › Nidec UltraFlo 120x120x38mm by MasakakiKairi
- › Delta PFM1412DE 140x38mm 7.5A 350CFM by MasakakiKairi
- › Nidec 120mm x 38mm 12V 40W Super High Speed Fan, Extreme Air Flow... by MasakakiKairi
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency
- › Multi Tasking on Intel Haswell CPU's
- › Intel Hyper Threading - Performance Scaling...