Just recently, I realized that I really had to do something about my network. As more and more machines continue to be added to my LAN, and as my sister starts discovering streaming media, both my LAN and WAN transfers are slowing down considerably, too much for comfort I might even add. Gaming with decent pings is becoming a rare thing, and I'm at my sister's mercy when I'm lucky enough to get reasonable latencies: she can just open up the Jewtubes and make my game unplayable. Hell, even browsing while seeding a couple of torrents has become impossible. A nerger's gotta do what a nerger's gotta do: my parents have accepted to get a bigger pipe, but in the meanwhile it's optimization time.
The easiest and probably most profitable upgrade would probably be changing my router to a more recent gigabit variant (teamed gigabit NIC on my 680i have been begging for this). My entire house is wired in CAT 5E anyways, so pulling off half-duplex gigabit isn't problem and the increase in performance, specially in a network attached storage on LAN context, is promising. People with newer routers have also noticed lower pings and faster overall internet as a result of the reduction of the latency from within the LAN.
Buying a new router is an interesting option, but there is a major downside, and that's the price of a quality gigabit router. Even off ebay, those things run for a 120$ minimum, and that's for a Netgear. My problem with putting 120$ on a router (or rather my father's problem) is that all the gigabit routers come with tons of useless features, IE 802.11N wireless with Super-Duper Range Booster Max Extreme Plus Improved and a 24 entry DMZ system. My sister's already growing a third arm because of prolonged exposition to all the wireless networks I have running in my house, and none of my wireless adaptors are N, I just DON'T NEED any of it! The challenge is now where to find a wired only gigabit router, either used or at a low price. I was thinking D-Link's GamerLounge special edition, but those things are very rare and run for the same price as Wireless N + Gigabit routers. If you think you have a router that I would like, please post it here.
Otherwise, I'm looking forward to accelerating web browsing with my new home server Annabel by setting up a DNS cache on LAN using DNSMasq, with the supposedly super fast and feature-full upsteam DNS servers from OpenDNS. People in larger LANs have used DNS caching to speed up things a lot, and browsing is supposed to be greatly improved, specially on pages where elements load from lots of different locations, ads from google, content from a seperate server, images from Flickr and videos from Youtube all at the same time for example. Anyways, the only thing that I care about it that it reduces traffic on the WAN side, I'll have to see if the difference in speed is that dramatic.
I also thought about scheduling torrents to run only during the morning and at night and when I'm not at my machine, but that's pretty much it. Now all I have to do is to wait for that 10 mbit symmetrical
I've been waiting for.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 3098 Active Users (637 Members and 2461 Guests)
- › Extract and Flash GTX 970 and 980 Firmware - Zoson's H2O and AIR... 31 seconds ago
- › [Official] AMD R9 Radeon FURY / NANO / X / X2 FIJI Owners Club 42 seconds ago
- › [Official] Nvidia GTX 980 Ti Owners Club 1 minute ago
- › [Official] Counter Strike Global Offensive Thread 1 minute ago
- › will android tethering be detected by carriers? 1 minute ago
- › Insurgency 2 minutes ago
- › MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G Card overclocks and pictures 3 minutes ago
- › Recommend a reservoir 3 minutes ago
- › [DIGITIMES] Supply chain players gear up for new Nintendo console 5 minutes ago
- › [Youtube] Uncharted 4 15 Min Full Sam Pursuit Gameplay 5 minutes ago
- › Asus ROG Enthusiast SLI Bridge [2-WAY] tune-up parts for... by Wihglah
- › BitFenix Aegis by MisterNoisy
- › Icy Dock ToughArmor MB998SP-B by NKrader
- › Zowie Gear Gaming Mouse Pad (P-SR) by Arizonian
- › G430 Gaming Headset - Black by marcatomdrummer
- › Seagate Cheetah 15K.7 300GB 3.5"" SAS 6Gb/s Internal Hard... by RockeyDA
- › Seagate Barracuda XT 4TB ST4000DM000 by Warpcore
- › ZOWIE GEAR ZA12 GAMING MOUSE by Arizonian
- › Roccat Taito - Shiny Black Gaming Mousepad. ROCCAT TAITO MID-SIZE... by Arizonian
- › Kingston HyperX Savage 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866... by WilliamGayde
- › The Witcher 3 v1.06 - Performance Test
- › How To - Fix Intel CPU + Geforce GTX SLI -...
- › The GTX 780 TI SLI - End of Life -...
- › I need some help with Overclock
- › How to raid 0 on 2 x SSD or 2 x HDD as...
- › Overclocking Ram - Crucial Ballistix Sport...
- › The Big VR Face-Off
- › Kingston Hyper X Fury Black 2x8GB 1600mhz Cl10
- › A collection of thoughts about graphics cards...
- › Intel Haswell CPU review - Core i7 4790K,...