Just recently, I realized that I really had to do something about my network. As more and more machines continue to be added to my LAN, and as my sister starts discovering streaming media, both my LAN and WAN transfers are slowing down considerably, too much for comfort I might even add. Gaming with decent pings is becoming a rare thing, and I'm at my sister's mercy when I'm lucky enough to get reasonable latencies: she can just open up the Jewtubes and make my game unplayable. Hell, even browsing while seeding a couple of torrents has become impossible. A nerger's gotta do what a nerger's gotta do: my parents have accepted to get a bigger pipe, but in the meanwhile it's optimization time.
The easiest and probably most profitable upgrade would probably be changing my router to a more recent gigabit variant (teamed gigabit NIC on my 680i have been begging for this). My entire house is wired in CAT 5E anyways, so pulling off half-duplex gigabit isn't problem and the increase in performance, specially in a network attached storage on LAN context, is promising. People with newer routers have also noticed lower pings and faster overall internet as a result of the reduction of the latency from within the LAN.
Buying a new router is an interesting option, but there is a major downside, and that's the price of a quality gigabit router. Even off ebay, those things run for a 120$ minimum, and that's for a Netgear. My problem with putting 120$ on a router (or rather my father's problem) is that all the gigabit routers come with tons of useless features, IE 802.11N wireless with Super-Duper Range Booster Max Extreme Plus Improved and a 24 entry DMZ system. My sister's already growing a third arm because of prolonged exposition to all the wireless networks I have running in my house, and none of my wireless adaptors are N, I just DON'T NEED any of it! The challenge is now where to find a wired only gigabit router, either used or at a low price. I was thinking D-Link's GamerLounge special edition, but those things are very rare and run for the same price as Wireless N + Gigabit routers. If you think you have a router that I would like, please post it here.
Otherwise, I'm looking forward to accelerating web browsing with my new home server Annabel by setting up a DNS cache on LAN using DNSMasq, with the supposedly super fast and feature-full upsteam DNS servers from OpenDNS. People in larger LANs have used DNS caching to speed up things a lot, and browsing is supposed to be greatly improved, specially on pages where elements load from lots of different locations, ads from google, content from a seperate server, images from Flickr and videos from Youtube all at the same time for example. Anyways, the only thing that I care about it that it reduces traffic on the WAN side, I'll have to see if the difference in speed is that dramatic.
I also thought about scheduling torrents to run only during the morning and at night and when I'm not at my machine, but that's pretty much it. Now all I have to do is to wait for that 10 mbit symmetrical
I've been waiting for.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2067 Active Users (345 Members and 1722 Guests)
- › Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway Pro 34 seconds ago
- › A new 62mm TEC block 1 minute ago
- › [Nintendo] Nintendo Switch presentation Jan. 12 2017 2 minutes ago
- › [Official] ASUS RoG Swift PG348Q Owners Club 2 minutes ago
- › [Official] NVFlash with certificate checks bypassed for GTX... 4 minutes ago
- › 2500 to 2600. worth it? 5 minutes ago
- › Build Log - [Millennium] - Mercury S8S 5 minutes ago
- › [Official] AMD R9 Radeon FURY / NANO / X / Pro DUO FIJI Owners Club 7 minutes ago
- › safe to overclock? 8 minutes ago
- › Caselabs S3 w/Pedestal (Full White and Windowed) Reine de Blanche... 8 minutes ago
- › Tesoro Zone Balance Gaming Chair by WilliamGayde
- › Crucial Storage Executive, Version 3.38 by AlphaC
- › Samsung Magician 5.0 by AlphaC
- › Silverstone PM01 Matte Black by Duality92
- › Azza Photios250 by Duality92
- › COUGAR ATTACK X3 RGB Premium Gaming Mechanical Keyboard with Cherry... by WilliamGayde
- › GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 ATX AMD Motherboard by Butthungrymonkee
- › CRONOS RGB 3D 7.1 Surround Sound PC Gaming Headset by Jedson3614
- › Cougar Minos X3 Gaming Mouse by WilliamGayde
- › MSI GT72DOMINATORG1227 GT72 Dominator G-1227 i7-6820HK G-Sync GTX... by boostinsteve
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency
- › Multi Tasking on Intel Haswell CPU's
- › Intel Hyper Threading - Performance Scaling...
- › Intel Core i3 vs Core i5 vs Core i7: Gaming...