Just recently, I realized that I really had to do something about my network. As more and more machines continue to be added to my LAN, and as my sister starts discovering streaming media, both my LAN and WAN transfers are slowing down considerably, too much for comfort I might even add. Gaming with decent pings is becoming a rare thing, and I'm at my sister's mercy when I'm lucky enough to get reasonable latencies: she can just open up the Jewtubes and make my game unplayable. Hell, even browsing while seeding a couple of torrents has become impossible. A nerger's gotta do what a nerger's gotta do: my parents have accepted to get a bigger pipe, but in the meanwhile it's optimization time.
The easiest and probably most profitable upgrade would probably be changing my router to a more recent gigabit variant (teamed gigabit NIC on my 680i have been begging for this). My entire house is wired in CAT 5E anyways, so pulling off half-duplex gigabit isn't problem and the increase in performance, specially in a network attached storage on LAN context, is promising. People with newer routers have also noticed lower pings and faster overall internet as a result of the reduction of the latency from within the LAN.
Buying a new router is an interesting option, but there is a major downside, and that's the price of a quality gigabit router. Even off ebay, those things run for a 120$ minimum, and that's for a Netgear. My problem with putting 120$ on a router (or rather my father's problem) is that all the gigabit routers come with tons of useless features, IE 802.11N wireless with Super-Duper Range Booster Max Extreme Plus Improved and a 24 entry DMZ system. My sister's already growing a third arm because of prolonged exposition to all the wireless networks I have running in my house, and none of my wireless adaptors are N, I just DON'T NEED any of it! The challenge is now where to find a wired only gigabit router, either used or at a low price. I was thinking D-Link's GamerLounge special edition, but those things are very rare and run for the same price as Wireless N + Gigabit routers. If you think you have a router that I would like, please post it here.
Otherwise, I'm looking forward to accelerating web browsing with my new home server Annabel by setting up a DNS cache on LAN using DNSMasq, with the supposedly super fast and feature-full upsteam DNS servers from OpenDNS. People in larger LANs have used DNS caching to speed up things a lot, and browsing is supposed to be greatly improved, specially on pages where elements load from lots of different locations, ads from google, content from a seperate server, images from Flickr and videos from Youtube all at the same time for example. Anyways, the only thing that I care about it that it reduces traffic on the WAN side, I'll have to see if the difference in speed is that dramatic.
I also thought about scheduling torrents to run only during the morning and at night and when I'm not at my machine, but that's pretty much it. Now all I have to do is to wait for that 10 mbit symmetrical
I've been waiting for.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2797 Active Users (685 Members and 2112 Guests)
- › [case mod] Gardnerphotos G5 18 seconds ago
- › ASUS Z97 Motherboards - Official Support Thread 26 seconds ago
- › [Tech Report] AMD posts Q2 financials, is still in the red 50 seconds ago
- › Making 'custom' temperature probe fittings 1 minute ago
- › New Product Categories - Mobile Computing 1 minute ago
- › Thermaltake 1200w Toughpower Cable Management 1 minute ago
- › Need Help!!! Buying a branded PSU for the first time. 1 minute ago
- › MSI R9 290 + Kraken G10 questions 1 minute ago
- › Need a budget GPU 2 minutes ago
- › [GZ] Google Apologizes After 3 Years, Removes Requirement To Use... 2 minutes ago
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by GorbazTheDragon
- › Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Chassis with Window Cases PH-ES614P by DaveLT
- › EVGA 120-G2-1300-XR SuperNOVA 1300 G2 1300W ATX 80+G Power Supply by jameyscott
- › Thinkpad X230, 12.5" Ultraportable by Chipp
- › Moto X - 16GB, White by Chipp
- › ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro by WilliamGayde
- › BitFenix Neos BFC-NEO-100-WWXKB-RP ATX Mid Tower Case by dman811
- › EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked w/ACX Cooler 3GB GDDR5 384bit... by HeadlessKnight
- › ASUS M5A99X Evo - AM3+ - 990X - SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0 - ATX DDR3... by LGxStarburst
- › ASUS M5A97 Evo - AM3+ - 970 - SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0 - ATX AMD ATX... by LGxStarburst
- › The Truth About FPS
- › My First Case Mod!
- › GPU and CPU power connections
- › A tutorial on how to fix Heat Problems
- › [Linux] How to enable backlight control and...
- › Can not connect my LG Volt cell phone to my...
- › How To: Activate a 2012/2012 R2 Virtual Machine
- › Really long term project: Conversion from...
- › What I expect from Nvidia's Maxwell -...
- › mmm...my old graphiccard ... trow it, no...