So, after about 5 years of using the AMD Athlon XP 1500+ on a MSI KT4AV with 768 DDR and a GeForce 5500; I have decided it's time to upgrade and OC the crap out of the 1500+ until it fries.
It's been a good little system for what it's used for, however, with new games and OS's coming out, it's time to upgrade. Over the past month or so, the system has been getting slower and slower. Taking minutes to load up FireFox and IE, and other basic programs.
Last year, the system kept shutting down and giving an alarm that would not shut off until I killed power going to the PSU. I soon realized this was a heat issue, seeing that when going into the bios after booting it back up, then temp of the CPU was over 90C. I replaced the heatsink and cpu fan with a basic heatsink/cpu fan, applied some Arctic Silver 5 to the CPU, and added a new case fan, and that brought the temp down to 45C under load, and the case temp to 38C. Not bad for stock Air Cooling.
My new system will consist of: AMD Phenom II x2 BE 950, ASUS M4N78 Geforce 8300 MB, EVGA GTX 260, 4GB of G.SKILL DDR2 1066, Creative X-Fi Titanium, either a Antec 902 or 1200 Case, OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W Power Supply, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and thinking about water cooling down the road.
I've already purchased the GTX, and will be purchasing the rest piece by piece. I hope/think a lot of this stuff will go on sale on Black Friday, and if so, I'll grab most then.
Currently, there are 1886 Active Users (248 Members and 1638 Guests)
- › Help to 4460 max ratio 5 seconds ago
- › 7920x OC numbers all over the place 2 minutes ago
- › [WCCF] AMD Announces 2nd Gen Ryzen & Vega Coming Next Year On 12nm 3 minutes ago
- › ASUS X299 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread 4 minutes ago
- › [PCWorld] AMD Radeon phases out the CrossFire brand as multi-GPU... 7 minutes ago
- › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 1080 Owner's Club 12 minutes ago
- › *Official* Intel DDR4 24/7 Memory Stability Thread 14 minutes ago
- › OCN Aquaero Owners Club 14 minutes ago
- › [PCG/Hexus] DDR5 memory is twice as fast as DDR4 and slated for 2019 17 minutes ago
- › [Build Log] The Little Project - Dell Dimension E521 17 minutes ago
- › Phanteks PH-F140MP_BBK_PWM 140mm fan by AlphaC
- › Seasonic Flagship PRIME SERIES SSR-1200PD 1200W PLATINUM FULL... by mllrkllr88
- › Corsair Obsidian 750D Computer Case With Side Panel Window by The_Rocker
- › Asus Xonar Essence STX 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card by The_Rocker
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by The_Rocker
- › Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W... by foofer1233
- › Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 1 LGA 2011 Processor - BX80619I73930K by powerhouse
- › HDPLEX H5 Fanless Computer Chassis by michelme67
- › Nuance Power PDF Standard by Lady Fitzgerald
- › ID-COOLING SE214L Snow Edition CPU Heatsink by DaveLT
- › Hands-On: TCL 55″ P-Series 4K HDR TV is...
- › (OPINION) AMD shot themselves in the foot by...
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...