Some time ago in the forums, I made the argument that one of the reasons HD-DVD was better for consumers than Blu-Ray was a simple one: it was easier for Average Joe Wal-Mart Customer to understand. They know what a DVD is...so HD-DVD is just...HD DVD. Obvious to a monkey. But what the heck is a "Blu-Ray" disc? Simple marketing like this is important when selling to the unwashed masses.
Apparently I've been proven correct. For the longest time, commercials for new Sony releases ended with the standard "Available on DVD and Blu-Ray disc". But now, with Spider-Man 3, they have changed the tag line to "Available on DVD and Blu-Ray High-Def". I guess I was right...no one knew what the heck a Blu-Ray was.
Bad marketing news for Blu-Ray, IMHO. They have spent a jillion dollars trying to push the Blu-Ray format, but after all this time the message that it's high-def apparently isn't "built in" to the product name. Part of me wonders if the masses don't think of Blu-Ray as that "Playstation movie format", much like the UMD was just the PSP movie format.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2165 Active Users (384 Members and 1781 Guests)
- › Waited for Vega... Then bought 1080ti 6 seconds ago
- › NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Club 57 seconds ago
- › My experience with the Asus PRIME X370-Pro 3 minutes ago
- › Preliminary view of AMD VEGA Bios 5 minutes ago
- › ASUS X299 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Zogis GTX 650 TI 2GB GDDR5 - Question about Voltage 6 minutes ago
- › Skylake-X/Kaby Lake-X Combined Discussion 6 minutes ago
- › Just got a 480 Hz monitor prototype! [picture] 7 minutes ago
- › [BIOS Mod] RX480 -> RX580 Conversions + How-to RX470/RX480 ->... 7 minutes ago
- › Can the Scythe Mugen 5 handle an over clocked Intel 7700K? 9 minutes ago
- › Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 1 LGA 2011 Processor - BX80619I73930K by powerhouse
- › HDPLEX H5 Fanless Computer Chassis by michelme67
- › Nuance Power PDF Standard by Lady Fitzgerald
- › ID-COOLING SE214L Snow Edition CPU Heatsink by DaveLT
- › Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)... by ADmodz
- › Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 (Dark Silver) (920-003366) by enes13mes
- › PDF Studio 12 - Advanced PDF Editor for Windows - Pro Edition... by Lady Fitzgerald
- › Brand New Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 Portable Document Scanner... by Lady Fitzgerald
- › Tecware Phantom Backlit Mechanical Keyboard (Red / White Backlit... by DaveLT
- › Allsop XL Mouse Pad- Raindrop Blue by neilyo
- › (OPINION) AMD shot themselves in the foot by...
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...