For years many enthusiasts have debated hardware, I am one of them, you probably are one too, seeing you are here, on OCN..
But in these times the gaps become shorter and shorter I feel, between competitors, and we get much more 'bang for buck' then we ever could have imagined ten years ago..
it's only when a company with a large user base makes a mistake that the community really takes notice these days..
I am going to do some barrel scraping now, so cover your ears if you have sensitive hearing!
AMD vs Intel
many many moons in the past AMD trumped Intel, for one shining moment for many. and then it was gone. not to be repeated. But now with the new line from AMD, which I have myself, why should I buy a Core i7? it performs better than my CPU, its desktop performance (meaning Windows response) is better but also cost 7 times the price of my CPU. these things now seem small to me because I feel I realized something, that nowadays we have powerful enough hardware to run everything, not like the bad old days of processing video or photoshopping, now we can comfortably run a whole OS at a good speed and play the latest PC games for a reasonable price. 'Is this an advert for AMD?'..no it was my little way of saying I am happy with my rig, and feel the Vishera 8350 is a fitting processor to be AMD's flag ship.
In the 'realworld' I gain nothing moving to Intel now.. sure you could say 'but you will get more frames in games' or 'your single thread apps will start faster' but yknow.. I'm not that fussed.. even worse.. I'm actually happy with the Vishera..oh. my!
Now, to every story there are two sides..I know this.. let's take Intels..
The reason Intel has done so well is because they worked harder and smarter than AMD, over 70% of the world's CPU's are Intel, they hand pick geniuses, in all fields to fit the job that the person was born to do. and it shows in the results. I am not dis'ing AMD staff, I only say that Intel were/are richer and smarter for many a'year out of the years on top. Core 2 was a masterpiece, a breakthrough of vision, and at the time AMD had the original Phenom series, which, I feel, was not up to par. Had it been golf.. they were Tiger woods and we.. were.. the ball boy.
Again Intel comes to us with a masterpiece! the Core i series.a thing of beauty in a world of architectural silicone. why? because we know how well and efficiently it performs, and this adds beauty.
But will I buy it? no. would I buy it if i were rich? possibly. but it wouldn't be something that I would ever notice.
I mentioned Photoshop and video encoding before..
If you max out your board with very reasonably priced RAM (around 100 to 150 pounds) and a sensible CPU, (AMD or Intel ) You can work faster and be more versatile than has ever been possible in the history of computing.. flip! shove on youtube and facebook while your waiting! your system wont even notice.* I drop entire games to memory and forget for hours on end. only to come back to a still working game.
More Bang for Buck!
I feel we have came to point where, the difference is slight.. it is slighter than it has ever been.
I could go on about how much I like Nvidia.. but yknow what? right now AMD has the edge in both price and power.
I'm still with Nvidia though.. they were my first gaming card by accident. fondly.
So i'll stop dithering and come to the point, what does paying double the price get me? not much, only a few frames more.
1. if you have an SSD
2. a modern OS.
3. quite a lot of RAM.
4. a current gen mid to high range card.
5. a current gen CPU with 6 cores or more.
What do we need all this power for? rendering? folding?
What happens in the next two gens.. what do we need all that new power for??
Soon we will out-grow operating systems, the hardware is too powerful.. no. the OS is too weak.
I have Windows 8 now.. its a bit of a pain and flakey at OC, but okay i guess.. but then again I have used Win98.
These are the things of museums.. the little window that goes side to side, minimizes and maximizes.
We have the power in out PC's now that MS had pushed us to have with Vista, but I find 'the same IS the same'.. bring on holograms and give us a challenge, involve us like every sci-fi move has promised us since we have been children!
*IF your a PRO reading this and are thinking about the office computer, no. .. please buy either professional dual socket or suffer the consequences.
NOTE: this has kind of turned out as a little ad for AMD which it wasn't supposed to. it was meant to be what is all this power for? and why do we ever need more? ALL OS's are getting bland in contrast to this powerful hardware that we all have now.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2380 Active Users (373 Members and 2007 Guests)
- › New house and Verizon Fios 1 minute ago
- › [Delidded Tech] TechPowerUp “Advertorial By AMD” Draws Controversy 1 minute ago
- › In Win 909 Owners Club 1 minute ago
- › Fractal Design Nano S Owners Club 2 minutes ago
- › Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming Pro 3 minutes ago
- › [TechPowerUp] Windows 10 Task Manager to Get GPU Utilization Tab 4 minutes ago
- › [WCCF] AMD Ryzen 9 Threadripper Lineup Leaked 8 minutes ago
- › [sponsored] "StripeS" project 8 minutes ago
- › [MOD] LGA775 Support For LGA771 Xeon CPUs 9 minutes ago
- › Roccat Kone Pure Owl-Eye (2017) - 3361 - 88g 9 minutes ago
- › ID-COOLING Auraflow 240 RGB AIO Cooler by DaveLT
- › Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Quiet CPU Cooler for Intel LGA 2011 Socket... by DontDoCovfefe
- › Acer - GN246HL 24" LCD 1ms 144Hz HDMI 3D 1080p Monitor by oobymach
- › Enermax CPU Air Cooler 250W+ Intel/AMD PDF Design, DFR Technology,... by zenstrive
- › Samsung 850 EVO 4TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E4T0B/AM) by Lady Fitzgerald
- › StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile... by Lady Fitzgerald
- › Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX 4 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics... by Duality92
- › Jonsbo VR2 - Tempered Glass and Aluminium case by Duality92
- › iiyama G-MASTER GB2788HS TN 27" Black Full HD by FuwyFun
- › Xbox Wireless Controller - White by FuwyFun
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...
- › Intel Core i7 4790K Energy Efficiency