For years many enthusiasts have debated hardware, I am one of them, you probably are one too, seeing you are here, on OCN..
But in these times the gaps become shorter and shorter I feel, between competitors, and we get much more 'bang for buck' then we ever could have imagined ten years ago..
it's only when a company with a large user base makes a mistake that the community really takes notice these days..
I am going to do some barrel scraping now, so cover your ears if you have sensitive hearing!
AMD vs Intel
many many moons in the past AMD trumped Intel, for one shining moment for many. and then it was gone. not to be repeated. But now with the new line from AMD, which I have myself, why should I buy a Core i7? it performs better than my CPU, its desktop performance (meaning Windows response) is better but also cost 7 times the price of my CPU. these things now seem small to me because I feel I realized something, that nowadays we have powerful enough hardware to run everything, not like the bad old days of processing video or photoshopping, now we can comfortably run a whole OS at a good speed and play the latest PC games for a reasonable price. 'Is this an advert for AMD?'..no it was my little way of saying I am happy with my rig, and feel the Vishera 8350 is a fitting processor to be AMD's flag ship.
In the 'realworld' I gain nothing moving to Intel now.. sure you could say 'but you will get more frames in games' or 'your single thread apps will start faster' but yknow.. I'm not that fussed.. even worse.. I'm actually happy with the Vishera..oh. my!
Now, to every story there are two sides..I know this.. let's take Intels..
The reason Intel has done so well is because they worked harder and smarter than AMD, over 70% of the world's CPU's are Intel, they hand pick geniuses, in all fields to fit the job that the person was born to do. and it shows in the results. I am not dis'ing AMD staff, I only say that Intel were/are richer and smarter for many a'year out of the years on top. Core 2 was a masterpiece, a breakthrough of vision, and at the time AMD had the original Phenom series, which, I feel, was not up to par. Had it been golf.. they were Tiger woods and we.. were.. the ball boy.
Again Intel comes to us with a masterpiece! the Core i series.a thing of beauty in a world of architectural silicone. why? because we know how well and efficiently it performs, and this adds beauty.
But will I buy it? no. would I buy it if i were rich? possibly. but it wouldn't be something that I would ever notice.
I mentioned Photoshop and video encoding before..
If you max out your board with very reasonably priced RAM (around 100 to 150 pounds) and a sensible CPU, (AMD or Intel ) You can work faster and be more versatile than has ever been possible in the history of computing.. flip! shove on youtube and facebook while your waiting! your system wont even notice.* I drop entire games to memory and forget for hours on end. only to come back to a still working game.
More Bang for Buck!
I feel we have came to point where, the difference is slight.. it is slighter than it has ever been.
I could go on about how much I like Nvidia.. but yknow what? right now AMD has the edge in both price and power.
I'm still with Nvidia though.. they were my first gaming card by accident. fondly.
So i'll stop dithering and come to the point, what does paying double the price get me? not much, only a few frames more.
1. if you have an SSD
2. a modern OS.
3. quite a lot of RAM.
4. a current gen mid to high range card.
5. a current gen CPU with 6 cores or more.
What do we need all this power for? rendering? folding?
What happens in the next two gens.. what do we need all that new power for??
Soon we will out-grow operating systems, the hardware is too powerful.. no. the OS is too weak.
I have Windows 8 now.. its a bit of a pain and flakey at OC, but okay i guess.. but then again I have used Win98.
These are the things of museums.. the little window that goes side to side, minimizes and maximizes.
We have the power in out PC's now that MS had pushed us to have with Vista, but I find 'the same IS the same'.. bring on holograms and give us a challenge, involve us like every sci-fi move has promised us since we have been children!
*IF your a PRO reading this and are thinking about the office computer, no. .. please buy either professional dual socket or suffer the consequences.
NOTE: this has kind of turned out as a little ad for AMD which it wasn't supposed to. it was meant to be what is all this power for? and why do we ever need more? ALL OS's are getting bland in contrast to this powerful hardware that we all have now.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 3328 Active Users (787 Members and 2541 Guests)
- › [Official] The Korean PLS Monitor Club (Qnix & X-Star) 1 second ago
- › AMD No longer a viable option for mid-high end? 4 seconds ago
- › [Official] Case Labs Owners Club 22 seconds ago
- › [Facebook] Swiftech to announce several new products at CES 41 seconds ago
- › MSI GE70 heating problem, or not? 1 minute ago
- › Corsair 750D Owners Club 1 minute ago
- › How am I supposed to grab this mouse? It's VERY uncomfortable to... 1 minute ago
- › Recommend me a mechanical keyboard 2 minutes ago
- › Need help with a batch file/script 2 minutes ago
- › Mayhems users club 2 minutes ago
- › Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz LGA 1150 Quad-Core Desktop Processor by TheOCNoob
- › MSI Z77 MPOWER Optimized DDR3 2133 16GB Kit (4 x 4GB) Quad Channel... by PROBN4LYFE
- › SteelSeries 9H Gaming Headset for PC, Mac, and Mobile Devices by Totally Dubbed
- › SteelSeries Siberia Elite Headset with Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound... by WilliamGayde
- › Diablotek DA Series PSDA400 400W Power Supply by buzzbuzzbuzz
- › 120GB SSDNOW V300 SATA 3 2.5 W/ADAPTER by buzzbuzzbuzz
- › Leopold FC200RR/AB Tenkeyless Linear Touch by Darin
- › VIZIO S4251w-B4 5.1 Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer (Black, Set of 4) by Jolly Roger
- › AMD CPU HDZ955FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz AM3... by bassman78
- › ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1ms (GTG) Widescreen LED Backlight LCD... by xploda92
- › Calculating Power Savings from a Platinum PSU by AlphaC
- › EVGA Hadron Air Chassis - Tips &... by Coreda
- › AMD Mantle, CPU Bottlenecks, CPU Limitations,... by RagingCain
- › [Op-ed/Opinion] Why AMD needs an R9 280 or R9... by AlphaC
- › Qosmio x70-75 Overheating Solutions by Arizonian
- › How to maintain and properly setup an SSD in... by Rookie1337
- › How to get the best sound with and properly... by Rookie1337
- › H2O vs. LN2 by Slinky PC
- › Optimal Placement for Your Rig by twistedspace
- › Posting Guidelines for Hardware, Vendor, and... by Chipp