For years many enthusiasts have debated hardware, I am one of them, you probably are one too, seeing you are here, on OCN..
But in these times the gaps become shorter and shorter I feel, between competitors, and we get much more 'bang for buck' then we ever could have imagined ten years ago..
it's only when a company with a large user base makes a mistake that the community really takes notice these days..
I am going to do some barrel scraping now, so cover your ears if you have sensitive hearing!
AMD vs Intel
many many moons in the past AMD trumped Intel, for one shining moment for many. and then it was gone. not to be repeated. But now with the new line from AMD, which I have myself, why should I buy a Core i7? it performs better than my CPU, its desktop performance (meaning Windows response) is better but also cost 7 times the price of my CPU. these things now seem small to me because I feel I realized something, that nowadays we have powerful enough hardware to run everything, not like the bad old days of processing video or photoshopping, now we can comfortably run a whole OS at a good speed and play the latest PC games for a reasonable price. 'Is this an advert for AMD?'..no it was my little way of saying I am happy with my rig, and feel the Vishera 8350 is a fitting processor to be AMD's flag ship.
In the 'realworld' I gain nothing moving to Intel now.. sure you could say 'but you will get more frames in games' or 'your single thread apps will start faster' but yknow.. I'm not that fussed.. even worse.. I'm actually happy with the Vishera..oh. my!
Now, to every story there are two sides..I know this.. let's take Intels..
The reason Intel has done so well is because they worked harder and smarter than AMD, over 70% of the world's CPU's are Intel, they hand pick geniuses, in all fields to fit the job that the person was born to do. and it shows in the results. I am not dis'ing AMD staff, I only say that Intel were/are richer and smarter for many a'year out of the years on top. Core 2 was a masterpiece, a breakthrough of vision, and at the time AMD had the original Phenom series, which, I feel, was not up to par. Had it been golf.. they were Tiger woods and we.. were.. the ball boy.
Again Intel comes to us with a masterpiece! the Core i series.a thing of beauty in a world of architectural silicone. why? because we know how well and efficiently it performs, and this adds beauty.
But will I buy it? no. would I buy it if i were rich? possibly. but it wouldn't be something that I would ever notice.
I mentioned Photoshop and video encoding before..
If you max out your board with very reasonably priced RAM (around 100 to 150 pounds) and a sensible CPU, (AMD or Intel ) You can work faster and be more versatile than has ever been possible in the history of computing.. flip! shove on youtube and facebook while your waiting! your system wont even notice.* I drop entire games to memory and forget for hours on end. only to come back to a still working game.
More Bang for Buck!
I feel we have came to point where, the difference is slight.. it is slighter than it has ever been.
I could go on about how much I like Nvidia.. but yknow what? right now AMD has the edge in both price and power.
I'm still with Nvidia though.. they were my first gaming card by accident. fondly.
So i'll stop dithering and come to the point, what does paying double the price get me? not much, only a few frames more.
1. if you have an SSD
2. a modern OS.
3. quite a lot of RAM.
4. a current gen mid to high range card.
5. a current gen CPU with 6 cores or more.
What do we need all this power for? rendering? folding?
What happens in the next two gens.. what do we need all that new power for??
Soon we will out-grow operating systems, the hardware is too powerful.. no. the OS is too weak.
I have Windows 8 now.. its a bit of a pain and flakey at OC, but okay i guess.. but then again I have used Win98.
These are the things of museums.. the little window that goes side to side, minimizes and maximizes.
We have the power in out PC's now that MS had pushed us to have with Vista, but I find 'the same IS the same'.. bring on holograms and give us a challenge, involve us like every sci-fi move has promised us since we have been children!
*IF your a PRO reading this and are thinking about the office computer, no. .. please buy either professional dual socket or suffer the consequences.
NOTE: this has kind of turned out as a little ad for AMD which it wasn't supposed to. it was meant to be what is all this power for? and why do we ever need more? ALL OS's are getting bland in contrast to this powerful hardware that we all have now.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2995 Active Users (583 Members and 2412 Guests)
- › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club 8 seconds ago
- › [FUD] AMD x86 16-core Zen APU detailed 24 seconds ago
- › [wccf] AMD Will “Talk About New Graphics Launches Later This Quarter" 33 seconds ago
- › [Official] Grand Theft Auto V Information & Discussion Thread 42 seconds ago
- › == Haswell-E Overclock Leaderboard & Owners Club == 1 minute ago
- › Asus X79-Deluxe Owners 1 minute ago
- › [IGN] Time Warner Cable boosts internet speeds to compete with... 1 minute ago
- › [Official] World of Tanks (fun and awesomeness) discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Big Bang Theorists We are in it for the LoL's and the Music 2 minutes ago
- › Athlon 860K, any one picking it up? 2 minutes ago
- › QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution ll 27" 2560x1440 WQHD PLS (LG IPS)... by Checkm8
- › Biostar TA970 Plus by Undervolter
- › HP ENVY 32-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor Quad-HD by johnadams
- › Corsair K70 RGB Mechanical Keyboard (Cherry MX Red) by 15goudreau
- › Aqua Computer Flow sensor "high flow" G1/4 for aquaero by Artah
- › LEPA Liquid Cooler Cooling LPWAC240-HF by Agent Smith1984
- › AMD FX-8300 FD8300WMW8KHK CPU Processor 3.3GHz (Max 4.2GHz) 8-core... by Agent Smith1984
- › ASRock Fatal1ty 970 Performance AM3+/AM3 Super Alloy Motherboard by Agent Smith1984
- › Philips Fidelio X1/28 Premium Over-Ear Headphones by 8bitG33k
- › GeForce GTX Titan X by DimmyK
- › Intel Haswell CPU review - Core i7 4790K,...
- › Seasonic Fanless PSU Noise
- › The Minecraft Server "Ok" Minimum
- › nVidia/AMD Graphics Cards BSOD 116/1033 Fix |...
- › To built a 4k monitor gaming rig - what type...
- › What Could Have Been - The PlayStation 4 APU
- › How to Get Linux Ubuntu Working with a GTX970...
- › The 2014 Year In Tech
- › Editors Pick Deals - Black Friday 2014
- › How to Solder Electronics