As my fellow OCN blogger Chipp wrote, September 11, 2001, is one of those days that will forever be burned into my personal internal HDD, so to speak.
I remember I was sleeping on the couch that day six years ago; my bed had already been moved to my rented room in Irvine, CA, where I was going to university. It was my last week of vacation before the Fall Quarter, so when my dad shook me gently awake with the TV on, I was a little annoyed.
"A plane hit the World Trade Center," he said somberly.
Whatever annoyance I felt melted away instantly when I saw the skyscraper on fire. I snapped to full wakefulness in record time, and I asked him if it was an accident, noticing right away that it was a clear day in Manhattan; surely no pilot could have missed that landmark. He said he didn't know, but that he had to leave for work.
Just as he said that, the second plane hit Tower 2. That moment, for sure, was when I felt what still is the most raw feeling of disbelief I have ever experienced in my life. I said to my dad, "That's no accident." A few seconds later, as we both stared at the television, I said quietly, "This means war."
I remember very vividly asking myself, "How can something like this happen?" It was something that was completely beyond the scope of my own imagination, the thought of deliberately flying two passenger airliners into a skyscraper. The Japanese kamikaze pilots I could almost comprehend; but for non-military people to do what I had just seen was completely beyond my ken.
Later that morning, still riveted to the television and before the Twin Towers even fell, I thought to myself that this is my generation's version of Pearl Harbor. It was a defining moment of history; no matter what happened next, nothing after this day's sunset was ever going to be the same. Unquestionably, everyone in this country was in for a lifetime's worth of pain.
My only wish was that it was a kind of pain that would not be protracted. Sharp yet brief pain is always better, in my opinion, than a persistent, throbbing pain that's ever-present in your consciousness.
When first one tower, then the other, collapsed to the ground in sickeningly quick time, all doubts of an ugly short-term future died. My only wish was that none of my friends who live in NYC were harmed directly by this disaster.
And so here we are, six years later. I often wish that I was wrong about many of the things I thought that day, that that whole day itself could have been some piece of corrupted memory in my mind. Alas, it was all too real.
It still is all too real.
(Written in respectful remembrance of the lives lost on September 11, 2001. May these losses be not in vain.)
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2973 Active Users (723 Members and 2250 Guests)
- › [Build Log] The Hawaiian Heat Wave 6 seconds ago
- › New Watercooling PC Build (900D) 18 seconds ago
- › [Contest] A Month of Winning! Overclock.net 10 Year Anniversary... 34 seconds ago
- › Random crashes whilst gaming? 42 seconds ago
- › High performance radiator. What's the BEST out there? 51 seconds ago
- › [Official] AMD R9 295X2 Owners Club 1 minute ago
- › New Bios update for gigabyte HD7950 ! 1 minute ago
- › Going from air cooling to a CLC or change case? 1 minute ago
- › [ASUS] ROG Striker GTX 760 4GB Released 1 minute ago
- › [Various] GeForce 337.50 "wonder driver" Beta release 2 minutes ago
- › Audioengine D1 24-bit digital-to-audio converter by WilliamGayde
- › Nzxt Phantom 410 CA-PH410-B1 White Computer Case With Side Panel... by TheSilentBang81
- › Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal... by GorbazTheDragon
- › CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD Pure Sine Wave UPS (1500VA/900W) by Dantrax
- › i-Rocks KR-6820E-WH White 104 Key USB Wired Backlit Gaming Keyboard... by Dantrax
- › CORSAIR AX860i 860W Power Supply by jojoharalds
- › Logitech G500s by Woolley
- › Crucial M500 120GB SATA mSATA Internal Solid State Drive CT120M500SSD3 by seepra
- › CRUCIAL M500 240GB 2.5" SATA SSD by orlfman
- › Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - Full Version by Haydius
- › overclocking kingston and ranscend rams by yakamaster
- › What I expect from Nvidia's Maxwell -... by AlphaC
- › mmm...my old graphiccard ... trow it, no... by Kam3760
- › Move your My Documents folder to another... by DMills
- › Calculating Power Savings from a Platinum PSU by AlphaC
- › EVGA Hadron Air Chassis - Tips &... by Coreda
- › AMD Mantle, CPU Bottlenecks, CPU Limitations,... by RagingCain
- › [Op-ed/Opinion] Why AMD needs an R9 280 or R9... by AlphaC
- › Qosmio x70-75 Overheating Solutions by Arizonian
- › How to maintain and properly setup an SSD in... by Rookie1337