As my fellow OCN blogger Chipp wrote, September 11, 2001, is one of those days that will forever be burned into my personal internal HDD, so to speak.
I remember I was sleeping on the couch that day six years ago; my bed had already been moved to my rented room in Irvine, CA, where I was going to university. It was my last week of vacation before the Fall Quarter, so when my dad shook me gently awake with the TV on, I was a little annoyed.
"A plane hit the World Trade Center," he said somberly.
Whatever annoyance I felt melted away instantly when I saw the skyscraper on fire. I snapped to full wakefulness in record time, and I asked him if it was an accident, noticing right away that it was a clear day in Manhattan; surely no pilot could have missed that landmark. He said he didn't know, but that he had to leave for work.
Just as he said that, the second plane hit Tower 2. That moment, for sure, was when I felt what still is the most raw feeling of disbelief I have ever experienced in my life. I said to my dad, "That's no accident." A few seconds later, as we both stared at the television, I said quietly, "This means war."
I remember very vividly asking myself, "How can something like this happen?" It was something that was completely beyond the scope of my own imagination, the thought of deliberately flying two passenger airliners into a skyscraper. The Japanese kamikaze pilots I could almost comprehend; but for non-military people to do what I had just seen was completely beyond my ken.
Later that morning, still riveted to the television and before the Twin Towers even fell, I thought to myself that this is my generation's version of Pearl Harbor. It was a defining moment of history; no matter what happened next, nothing after this day's sunset was ever going to be the same. Unquestionably, everyone in this country was in for a lifetime's worth of pain.
My only wish was that it was a kind of pain that would not be protracted. Sharp yet brief pain is always better, in my opinion, than a persistent, throbbing pain that's ever-present in your consciousness.
When first one tower, then the other, collapsed to the ground in sickeningly quick time, all doubts of an ugly short-term future died. My only wish was that none of my friends who live in NYC were harmed directly by this disaster.
And so here we are, six years later. I often wish that I was wrong about many of the things I thought that day, that that whole day itself could have been some piece of corrupted memory in my mind. Alas, it was all too real.
It still is all too real.
(Written in respectful remembrance of the lives lost on September 11, 2001. May these losses be not in vain.)
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 3370 Active Users (890 Members and 2480 Guests)
- › Fractal Design Case Club 19 seconds ago
- › 290 and 290X Litecoin Mining Performance 28 seconds ago
- › GTX 760 2-Way SLI: More powerful than a GTX Titan! 43 seconds ago
- › BOINCers Gone Bonkers 35: End of the Year Bash 2013 - December... 59 seconds ago
- › [BF4FORUM] PC Game Update Arrives Dec 3 1 minute ago
- › [VG] Best PC Game of 2013: Gone Home Wins VGX Award. (VIDEO) 1 minute ago
- › Need help creating a new drain line! [ASAP] 1 minute ago
- › [Official] 1440p and Above Gaming Club (1440p+) 1 minute ago
- › xXCrossXFire ClubXx --Because one's not enough :) 1 minute ago
- › Redemption (Fractal Design Define XL R2 Mod) 1 minute ago
- › JBL LSR305 Studio Monitor by Chipp
- › Zalman Zm-Mic1 High Sensitivity Headphone Microphone by CptAsian
- › ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti GTX660 TI-DC2T-2GD5 Video Card by WeRNothiNg
- › Asus GTX660 TI-DC2O-2GD5 192Bit PCI Express... by WeRNothiNg
- › Lsi Internal SATA/SAS 9211-8i 6Gb/s PCI-Express 2.0 RAID Controller... by Lady Fitzgerald
- › BGears 120mm Fan Filter by Lady Fitzgerald
- › Datavac Electric Duster by Lady Fitzgerald
- › Evga SuperNOVA 1000 G2 by Archea47
- › Amped Wireless High Power 700mW Dual Band AC Wi-Fi Range Extender... by WilliamGayde
- › CASE ROSEWILL / BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case by ricwoodard
- › Steelseries Siberia v2 FrostBlue Edition USB... by kyuren95
- › H2O vs. LN2 by Slinky PC
- › Optimal Placement for Your Rig by twistedspace
- › Chat over LAN without cmd using LAN Messenger. by agentoo7
- › Posting Guidelines for Hardware, Vendor, and... by Chipp
- › fan control modding by Dalbaa
- › Why Bonaire is overrated and R7-260X is a... by AlphaC
- › Estimating Fan requirements (draft) by AlphaC
- › Rate My Build by mezzi2010
- › DRAFT : R9 290X compute & workstation by AlphaC