Well, it's been a busy one! This day nearly didn't arrive, due to a mishap with the HDD on collecting the goods! However, after a thorough scan, I've satisfied myself that it's ok, so on with the build!
It's been about 11 months since I last had a major fumble around a PC case, but just like riding a bike, you never forget about it. Or how much of a pain it is.
The day started with swapping my PSU into my new case - this was surprisingly easy considering the case was full. Next up was mounting the motherboard, and sadly this was as expected - a pain in the backside. Basically, it was going very well, got the motherboard mounted, and moved onto seating the CPU, which after some confusion over orientation (why don't they mark motherboards clearly anymore?!), went perfectly. It was at this point, that I realised that I needed to remove the motherboard to mount the HSF backplate :swearing: So, after some fiddling round with mounting the plate the wrong way, and then the screws the wrong way, got it all sorted and the motherboard re-fitted. RAM up next, that was easy. Then case fans, PCI-E wireless adaptor, and DVD drive. Connected all the power connectors up, and mounted the graphics card (easier than removing it from my old rig!). Mounting the HDDs was a bit difficult, as there were lots of cables in the way in that area (mostly the case lights & buttons). Anyway, got that sorted, and was ready to fly!
Plugged it in, and the first test passed - it didn't burst into flames, and everything spun up as expected. That said, I quickly realised that I'd mounted the exhaust case fan the wrong fan, and it was forcing air into the back of the case. So, had to remove it - which proved very difficult indeed! After a lot of choice words, and rage, got it re-fitted, and was ready to power up. I don't have Windows on it yet, and haven't done the backups from my old rig yet, so I decided to give Knoppix a try, as I was using it extensively on the old rig to test the new HDD. However, Knoppix didn't boot at all in the new rig - it got as far as showing 8 penguins at the top of the screen (one per thread?), and then hung. Oh well, it's been a tough day, but an enjoyable one. Despite the PITA that building a rig is, it is very satisfying once you get it completed!
In reality, this is only the halfway stage - you can't go too far wrong with building a rig unless you break something. Next up is the software side, and getting the system just like I had the old rig, just with a new Windows install. So, backups tomorrow, followed by a fresh install of Vista, and then a lot of praying that restoring the backups is successful! If it is, I'll be posting my next blog from the new rig rather than my netbook!
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 1984 Active Users (271 Members and 1713 Guests)
- › [VC] Intel Core i9-7980XE 18-core early benchmarks 13 seconds ago
- › [Apple] iPhone X Reveal 1 minute ago
- › [Official] AMD Ryzen DDR4 24/7 Memory Stability Thread 5 minutes ago
- › [VideoCardz] Intel preps dual-core i3-7360X for X299, but why? 5 minutes ago
- › [Various] 6C Coffee Lake Lineup: i7-8700K & i5-8600K / CPU-Z +... 8 minutes ago
- › [Official] Delidded Club / Guide 11 minutes ago
- › [TH] Technical Issues Affecting Custom AMD Vega Card Production 11 minutes ago
- › [Polygon] The Duke, Xbox’s biggest controller of all time, will be... 13 minutes ago
- › [Vortez] UK Modder's Project "GOLD RUSH" Severely Damaged Following... 15 minutes ago
- › [HB] Outlast + Whistleblower DLC free from Humble Bundle 15 minutes ago
- › Phanteks PH-F140MP_BBK_PWM 140mm fan by AlphaC
- › Seasonic Flagship PRIME SERIES SSR-1200PD 1200W PLATINUM FULL... by mllrkllr88
- › Corsair Obsidian 750D Computer Case With Side Panel Window by The_Rocker
- › Asus Xonar Essence STX 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card by The_Rocker
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by The_Rocker
- › Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W... by foofer1233
- › Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 1 LGA 2011 Processor - BX80619I73930K by powerhouse
- › HDPLEX H5 Fanless Computer Chassis by michelme67
- › Nuance Power PDF Standard by Lady Fitzgerald
- › ID-COOLING SE214L Snow Edition CPU Heatsink by DaveLT
- › Hands-On: TCL 55″ P-Series 4K HDR TV is...
- › (OPINION) AMD shot themselves in the foot by...
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...