As someone who is cursed with the appearance of being big, strong, and robust, sometimes it's hard for some people to believe just how unhealthy I really am. Without indulging in some unwise full disclosure here, let's just say that that I've dodged death by sickness a few times in my life already. That's a direct consequence of being born and living the first part of my life in a Third-World country, I suppose.
Anyway, presently I've been forced to stay home for several days because of gout, as well as a bad cold which probably developed because of the depressed state of my immune system when the gout attack started over the weekend. This is my third day away from my desk at work, and to be perfectly honest, it's quite embarrassing to have to call my boss in the morning and tell her that I cannot come to work due to illness. Now she is a kind, understanding person, but I still do feel an obligation to be at my desk and contribute to our team's goals. When I'm not there, everybody else has to pull harder. That is just the nature of things.
For people who don't know me really well, there is, I suppose, an illusion that Joe is hearty and hale, hard to bring down. The truth is, it's like having a suit of armor made of well-painted cardboard: You test the defenses, and you'll see just how frail those defenses are.
I'm sick of being sickly. Alas, I've resigned myself to always being more vulnerable to illness than anyone who looks like me (I'm built like a fullback or a run-stopping linebacker in football) would ever be expected to.
If only the flesh was as strong as the spirit.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 1851 Active Users (246 Members and 1605 Guests)
- › [Various] 6C Coffee Lake Lineup: i7-8700K & i5-8600K / CPU-Z +... 2 minutes ago
- › Polaris Bios Editing ( RX5xx / RX4xx ) 2 minutes ago
- › Help for OC i7 4790K / confused about adaptive voltage 4 minutes ago
- › [Official] Case PHANTEKS Case Club for lovers & owners 15 minutes ago
- › [Official] Diablo III Information and Discussion Thread 17 minutes ago
- › Best method for file storage on Hyper-V 2016 Server 17 minutes ago
- › [Apple] iPhone X Reveal 17 minutes ago
- › [Kickstarter] Pimax: The World's First 8K VR Headset 19 minutes ago
- › ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread 20 minutes ago
- › FS: 1366 CPUs US48 22 minutes ago
- › Seasonic Flagship PRIME SERIES SSR-1200PD 1200W PLATINUM FULL... by mllrkllr88
- › Corsair Obsidian 750D Computer Case With Side Panel Window by The_Rocker
- › Asus Xonar Essence STX 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card by The_Rocker
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by The_Rocker
- › Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W... by foofer1233
- › Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 1 LGA 2011 Processor - BX80619I73930K by powerhouse
- › HDPLEX H5 Fanless Computer Chassis by michelme67
- › Nuance Power PDF Standard by Lady Fitzgerald
- › ID-COOLING SE214L Snow Edition CPU Heatsink by DaveLT
- › Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)... by ADmodz
- › Hands-On: TCL 55″ P-Series 4K HDR TV is...
- › (OPINION) AMD shot themselves in the foot by...
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...