Where to start... I am very new to this, but in a weeks time i have learned enough to be very dangerous, mostly to the computers around me. My son got sim3 for xmas which wont run on anything we have in the house (1 OLD COMPAQ, DELL 8500, crappy WINBOOK and the wife's Mac which is almost as old as my 13 year old son. My only hope for his mental well being is to try to upgrade the Compaq enough to run it. Buying a new system is not an option, although building one after I finish tinkering with this one is looking promising.
I need to get to these specs:
2.0 GHz processor, 1GB Ram, 128k GPU w/pixel shader 2.0. Those are the minimum specs to run sims 3 on XP.
I think the processor can get up to 2 GHz and already have the ram necessary. My concern is the graphics card. I have already purchased a Power Color HD 3650 AGP card 512MB 64bit DDR2 (overkill?). After it arrived I realized my factory standard 250 watt PSU could not support it so I am waiting for an Antec BP430 ATX12V. Since I plan to experiment in OC I also ordered:
Sythe Gentle Typhoon 92 mm case fan
Dynaton Bh-610/C61G cpu fan/heat sink
Evercool SB-F1 PCI slot case cooler
& som 8" y splitters just in case.
I am $196 into this project including shipping & tax.
Yeah, you are probably thinking what an idiot, but this is my first time and I figure you can't have too many coolers. Kind of like insurance, or in my case a little more confidence and peice of mind.
And, i still have no idea on how to start the OC of my CPU process. Hopefully my systems specs will show up at the bottom of this post. If not, I will post them seperate. Any positive and encouraging suggestions from the experts? I figure if this doesn't work I will have some decent parts to build my own.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 1902 Active Users (261 Members and 1641 Guests)
- › Silverstone Grandia GD0X Owner's Club 3 seconds ago
- › [BIOS Mod] RX480 -> RX580 Conversions + How-to RX470/RX480 ->... 19 seconds ago
- › How to set up 5,1 surround on a PC? 24 seconds ago
- › ASUS X299 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread 1 minute ago
- › My experience with the Asus PRIME X370-Pro 2 minutes ago
- › [Various] Asus Strix Vega Tested 8 minutes ago
- › [TT] CD Projekt RED will make Cyberpunk 2077 feel authentic & stay... 8 minutes ago
- › [Official] - X58 Xeon Club - 10 minutes ago
- › Hi From Spain 11 minutes ago
- › New Ninox mouse "Ninox Astrum" - with swapable shells 12 minutes ago
- › HDPLEX H5 Fanless Computer Chassis by michelme67
- › Nuance Power PDF Standard by Lady Fitzgerald
- › ID-COOLING SE214L Snow Edition CPU Heatsink by DaveLT
- › Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)... by ADmodz
- › Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 (Dark Silver) (920-003366) by enes13mes
- › PDF Studio 12 - Advanced PDF Editor for Windows - Pro Edition... by Lady Fitzgerald
- › Brand New Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 Portable Document Scanner... by Lady Fitzgerald
- › Tecware Phantom Backlit Mechanical Keyboard (Red / White Backlit... by DaveLT
- › Allsop XL Mouse Pad- Raindrop Blue by neilyo
- › Manjaro Linux XFCE 64bit (Latest Version) Arch based linux by AlphaC
- › (OPINION) AMD shot themselves in the foot by...
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...
- › DIY: How to do a fiber optic mechanical...