Okay, here's a disclaimer at the outset: This entry might feel like a mere restatement of an earlier joe-pinion. My apologies, then, if this is all you take from this one.
However, on the eve of the release of AMD's Phenom line, I feel that I must say a few things about upgrading one's system.
I think that there is more than one upgrading strategy an end-user (that would be you and me) can adopt. Let's call one school of thought the Keep up with the Joneses approach, and the other the Stand Pat approach.
To Keep up with the Joneses, one must have the latest and the greatest at all times. Every time there's a hint of new products coming out, someone who Keeps up with the Joneses just must have them as soon as possible. Before the new product line even has a chance to get warm on the store shelf, someone who Keeps up with Joneses is already installing the said parts or programs in his rig. He can boast having all the latest kit, but often the eagerness to buy the most current wares carries a considerable price, not just in terms of money, but more importantly in terms of actual optimal usability of the new hardware and software.
Someone who prefers to Stand Pat, though, prefers to wait. Wait for what, you may ask? Well, he waits for prices to come down; inevitably, new products are almost always at their most expensive when they first enter the retail channel. He waits for myriad issues to be sorted out. How familiar is the tale of poor performance out of the box because a video card's drivers aren't optimized when they first come out? Vista's release (and, in the Apple world, Leopard's teething problems) show that software is not immune to problems when they first come out. Someone who Stands Pat waits for actual need to dictate the time to upgrade either hardware or software.
It's true that this discourse is biased; after all, I belong firmly in one camp. I don't need to have my computer massage my ego, nor are my needs so demanding so as to require updates to my system as frequently as the sun rises in the east. In a way, I think of this as being the master of the machine, instead of the machine having mastery over the user (and the user's bank account).
So which way is the right way? Only you (the end-user) need justify anything to anybody vis-a-vis your upgrading strategies. As for me, well... you know where this scribe stands.
As always, I welcome comments and discussion. My sincere thanks for your time and attention.
Currently, there are 2810 Active Users (764 Members and 2046 Guests)
- › Pew Pew Reactor - Cooltek (Jonsbo) W2 X99 system. 8 seconds ago
- › [wccf] GTX 980 May Lose The Performance Crown To AMD’s R9 380X in... 1 minute ago
- › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 980 Owner's Club 1 minute ago
- › I have convergence; what to upgrade next? 1 minute ago
- › DPI Marketing Works... 2 minutes ago
- › evga gtx680 vs r9 290 xfire 2 minutes ago
- › Corsair H105 vs NZXT Kraken X61 2 minutes ago
- › The Euro Truck Simulator 2 Information and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › [Various] Nvidia GTX 980 / 970 reviews 4 minutes ago
- › Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 temp pop up??? 4 minutes ago
- › Swiftech MCP50X Pump by geggeg
- › DOOGEE PIXELS DG350 MTK6582 Quad Core 1.3GHz 1GB RAM 4GB ROM... by LukePilot152
- › PlayStation 4 by Thready
- › Microsoft Surface Pro 3 - 256GB / Intel i5 by BigMack70
- › ASUS A88XM-PLUS/CSM Micro ATX AMD Motherboard by jumpy2219
- › Nixeus MODA Mechanical Keyboard - Brown Switch (Silent Tactile) by Jixr
- › Kingsing S2 Mtk6582 Quad Core Phone White by voodooxxx
- › Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R1) by Gavush
- › Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z Computer Case With Side... by Gavush
- › Corsair K70 RGB Mechanical Keyboard (Cherry MX Red) by Sideways8LV
- › Custom Desk Buil Log
- › My Dream PC under $10,000 By: iRyanSparkz YT
- › How to Solder Electronics
- › Broken CM Storm Xornet scroll wheel
- › A Troubling Trend
- › The Truth About FPS
- › My First Case Mod!
- › GPU and CPU power connections
- › A Guide on how to fix Heat Problems
- › [Linux] How to enable backlight control and...