Okay, here's a disclaimer at the outset: This entry might feel like a mere restatement of an earlier joe-pinion. My apologies, then, if this is all you take from this one.
However, on the eve of the release of AMD's Phenom line, I feel that I must say a few things about upgrading one's system.
I think that there is more than one upgrading strategy an end-user (that would be you and me) can adopt. Let's call one school of thought the Keep up with the Joneses approach, and the other the Stand Pat approach.
To Keep up with the Joneses, one must have the latest and the greatest at all times. Every time there's a hint of new products coming out, someone who Keeps up with the Joneses just must have them as soon as possible. Before the new product line even has a chance to get warm on the store shelf, someone who Keeps up with Joneses is already installing the said parts or programs in his rig. He can boast having all the latest kit, but often the eagerness to buy the most current wares carries a considerable price, not just in terms of money, but more importantly in terms of actual optimal usability of the new hardware and software.
Someone who prefers to Stand Pat, though, prefers to wait. Wait for what, you may ask? Well, he waits for prices to come down; inevitably, new products are almost always at their most expensive when they first enter the retail channel. He waits for myriad issues to be sorted out. How familiar is the tale of poor performance out of the box because a video card's drivers aren't optimized when they first come out? Vista's release (and, in the Apple world, Leopard's teething problems) show that software is not immune to problems when they first come out. Someone who Stands Pat waits for actual need to dictate the time to upgrade either hardware or software.
It's true that this discourse is biased; after all, I belong firmly in one camp. I don't need to have my computer massage my ego, nor are my needs so demanding so as to require updates to my system as frequently as the sun rises in the east. In a way, I think of this as being the master of the machine, instead of the machine having mastery over the user (and the user's bank account).
So which way is the right way? Only you (the end-user) need justify anything to anybody vis-a-vis your upgrading strategies. As for me, well... you know where this scribe stands.
As always, I welcome comments and discussion. My sincere thanks for your time and attention.
Currently, there are 2999 Active Users (888 Members and 2111 Guests)
- › [Official] Battlefield 4 Information & Discussion Thread 6 seconds ago
- › Vote for who you want to review the AVIOR 7000 and NAOS 7000 13 seconds ago
- › GTX 780 Brand help. 13 seconds ago
- › Need Help Deciding, XSPC Photon 170 vs Bitspower Water Tank-Z... 14 seconds ago
- › BOINCers Gone Bonkers 35: End of the Year Bash 2013 - December... 17 seconds ago
- › EVGA announced GTX 780 Ti CLASSIFIED! 24 seconds ago
- › 290 Unlock to 290X 33 seconds ago
- › [Official] Gigabyte GA-990FXA-Series Owners Thread/Club 52 seconds ago
- › [Tutorial] How to Start Mining Litecoins 1 minute ago
- › [OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club 1 minute ago
- › ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti GTX660 TI-DC2T-2GD5 Video Card by WeRNothiNg
- › Asus GTX660 TI-DC2O-2GD5 192Bit PCI Express... by WeRNothiNg
- › Lsi Internal SATA/SAS 9211-8i 6Gb/s PCI-Express 2.0 RAID Controller... by Lady Fitzgerald
- › BGears 120mm Fan Filter by Lady Fitzgerald
- › Datavac Electric Duster by Lady Fitzgerald
- › Evga SuperNOVA 1000 G2 by Archea47
- › Amped Wireless High Power 700mW Dual Band AC Wi-Fi Range Extender... by WilliamGayde
- › CASE ROSEWILL / BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case by ricwoodard
- › Rosewill REDBONE Black Computer Case by Algorithm
- › GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 660 GV-N660OC-2GD Video Card by djthrottleboi
- › Steelseries Siberia v2 FrostBlue Edition USB... by kyuren95
- › H2O vs. LN2 by Slinky PC
- › Optimal Placement for Your Rig by twistedspace
- › Chat over LAN without cmd using LAN Messenger. by agentoo7
- › Posting Guidelines for Hardware, Vendor, and... by Chipp
- › fan control modding by Dalbaa
- › Why Bonaire is overrated and R7-260X is a... by AlphaC
- › Estimating Fan requirements (draft) by AlphaC
- › Rate My Build by mezzi2010
- › DRAFT : R9 290X compute & workstation by AlphaC