Okay, here's a disclaimer at the outset: This entry might feel like a mere restatement of an earlier joe-pinion. My apologies, then, if this is all you take from this one.
However, on the eve of the release of AMD's Phenom line, I feel that I must say a few things about upgrading one's system.
I think that there is more than one upgrading strategy an end-user (that would be you and me) can adopt. Let's call one school of thought the Keep up with the Joneses approach, and the other the Stand Pat approach.
To Keep up with the Joneses, one must have the latest and the greatest at all times. Every time there's a hint of new products coming out, someone who Keeps up with the Joneses just must have them as soon as possible. Before the new product line even has a chance to get warm on the store shelf, someone who Keeps up with Joneses is already installing the said parts or programs in his rig. He can boast having all the latest kit, but often the eagerness to buy the most current wares carries a considerable price, not just in terms of money, but more importantly in terms of actual optimal usability of the new hardware and software.
Someone who prefers to Stand Pat, though, prefers to wait. Wait for what, you may ask? Well, he waits for prices to come down; inevitably, new products are almost always at their most expensive when they first enter the retail channel. He waits for myriad issues to be sorted out. How familiar is the tale of poor performance out of the box because a video card's drivers aren't optimized when they first come out? Vista's release (and, in the Apple world, Leopard's teething problems) show that software is not immune to problems when they first come out. Someone who Stands Pat waits for actual need to dictate the time to upgrade either hardware or software.
It's true that this discourse is biased; after all, I belong firmly in one camp. I don't need to have my computer massage my ego, nor are my needs so demanding so as to require updates to my system as frequently as the sun rises in the east. In a way, I think of this as being the master of the machine, instead of the machine having mastery over the user (and the user's bank account).
So which way is the right way? Only you (the end-user) need justify anything to anybody vis-a-vis your upgrading strategies. As for me, well... you know where this scribe stands.
As always, I welcome comments and discussion. My sincere thanks for your time and attention.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2362 Active Users (455 Members and 1907 Guests)
- › CS 1.6 Best Ever n ever 19 seconds ago
- › [Guide] NVIDIA & AMD PTS GPU Mining 36 seconds ago
- › Venturing into water cooling. Have some questions on it. 48 seconds ago
- › Enjoyable and Playable Frame Rate and Frame Time 1 minute ago
- › [wccftech] Intel Haswell-E X99 Chipset “Wellsburg” Details Leaked 1 minute ago
- › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club 1 minute ago
- › [Official] The Korean PLS Monitor Club (Qnix & X-Star) 1 minute ago
- › [OFFICIAL] GTX 660 (NON TI) Owners Club. 2 minutes ago
- › Windows 8.1 n Internet Explorer 11 2 minutes ago
- › [Official] Battlefield 4 Information & Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz LGA 1150 Quad-Core Desktop Processor by TheOCNoob
- › MSI Z77 MPOWER Optimized DDR3 2133 16GB Kit (4 x 4GB) Quad Channel... by PROBN4LYFE
- › SteelSeries 9H Gaming Headset for PC, Mac, and Mobile Devices by Totally Dubbed
- › SteelSeries Siberia Elite Headset with Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound... by WilliamGayde
- › Diablotek DA Series PSDA400 400W Power Supply by buzzbuzzbuzz
- › 120GB SSDNOW V300 SATA 3 2.5 W/ADAPTER by buzzbuzzbuzz
- › Leopold FC200RR/AB Tenkeyless Linear Touch by Darin
- › VIZIO S4251w-B4 5.1 Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer (Black, Set of 4) by Jolly Roger
- › AMD CPU HDZ955FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz AM3... by bassman78
- › ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1ms (GTG) Widescreen LED Backlight LCD... by xploda92
- › Calculating Power Savings from a Platinum PSU by AlphaC
- › EVGA Hadron Air Chassis - Tips &... by Coreda
- › AMD Mantle, CPU Bottlenecks, CPU Limitations,... by RagingCain
- › [Op-ed/Opinion] Why AMD needs an R9 280 or R9... by AlphaC
- › Qosmio x70-75 Overheating Solutions by Arizonian
- › How to maintain and properly setup an SSD in... by Rookie1337
- › How to get the best sound with and properly... by Rookie1337
- › H2O vs. LN2 by Slinky PC
- › Optimal Placement for Your Rig by twistedspace
- › Posting Guidelines for Hardware, Vendor, and... by Chipp