ATI's Radeon 3870x2 is out, and it looks very nice, and now so is the 9800 GX2, which also looks very nice. EK has a waterblock out for the 3870, but the only GX2 waterblock out (that I can find) is aluminum. Neither card have really been put through head to head CrossFireX vs SLI benches, which is another thing I'm waiting for. That, of course, is waiting on drivers. Wait wait wait... waiting.... Just you wait, Waity Waiterson... zzzz
In the meantime, the 790i is hitting the stores, and I feel a big bag of "meh" about it. DDR3 doesn't seem to provide a tangible performance benefit, and 790i doesn't yet support Nvidia's Hybrid Power, so ah ... why would I pay for a 790i? Oh yes, future proofing. Meh.
After a lot of soul searching I am fairly certain I will need dual radiators, which is pushing me towards Mountain Mods. The CYO build looks nice; it lets you pick and choose panels you want. I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to avoid a front-facing radiator, say one to the back and one out the side or the top. After a few hours messing around in Google Sketchup, I'm fairly flummoxed on how to make that happen. I'd really prefer to have the front bring air in only. I dunno, maybe I should get the Mountain Mods now and be done with it. At a later point I can get a smaller case and build an external cooling box, if I get comfortable with that kind of black art.
Even with dual radiators and pumps, I still feel like a single loop will work well. I really don't understand the popular notion that dual loops are better. Presuming I have high enough flow rate and big enough rads, why not put the loop through a Y, into the pumps, then join back into the loop with another Y? Yes, running in series is not as optimum as running them in parallel, but given the above presumptions it seems like this provides a nice redundancy if one pump goes down. At least you can run on idle until your new pump comes in. Also it astounds me how many people don't buy into the notion of temperature equilibrium in the loop. It all evens out, so loop order is not all that important as long as the pumps follow the reservoir. Well, I'll find out soon enough if this is true, and then I can post my findings rather than joining in speculation.
Alphabetical Article List
Currently, there are 2030 Active Users (244 Members and 1786 Guests)
- › [TH] Technical Issues Affecting Custom AMD Vega Card Production 12 seconds ago
- › Calling on Nixeus & DreamMachine Engineers : Make us a WMO! 26 seconds ago
- › Thinking about the 8600K 38 seconds ago
- › My experience with the Asus PRIME X370-Pro 2 minutes ago
- › GIGABYTE AORUS Xtreme GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce 3 minutes ago
- › [GURU3D] Nvidia might Release GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 4 minutes ago
- › Spoofing faster memory to the Motherboard 4 minutes ago
- › [Appraisal] 1800x Full build - minus GPU and storage 6 minutes ago
- › [Sponsored] Project: Gold Rush (24ct Gold) 6 minutes ago
- › [Apple] iPhone X Reveal 6 minutes ago
- › Phanteks PH-F140MP_BBK_PWM 140mm fan by AlphaC
- › Seasonic Flagship PRIME SERIES SSR-1200PD 1200W PLATINUM FULL... by mllrkllr88
- › Corsair Obsidian 750D Computer Case With Side Panel Window by The_Rocker
- › Asus Xonar Essence STX 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card by The_Rocker
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by The_Rocker
- › Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W... by foofer1233
- › Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 1 LGA 2011 Processor - BX80619I73930K by powerhouse
- › HDPLEX H5 Fanless Computer Chassis by michelme67
- › Nuance Power PDF Standard by Lady Fitzgerald
- › ID-COOLING SE214L Snow Edition CPU Heatsink by DaveLT
- › Hands-On: TCL 55″ P-Series 4K HDR TV is...
- › (OPINION) AMD shot themselves in the foot by...
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...