So recently I found the joys of the drill-tap. Kind of surprised I never thought about the possibility of 1) putting an appropriately-sized drill ahead of 2) the necessary tap threading. But holy crap is it a great idea. Don't get me wrong self-tapping screws and the like are okay, but sooner or later either the screw or the hole is gonna get "used up".
Now, I've been using plain-jane taps for a while (mainly a set I borrow from my uncle ). But I figured I'd get my own a 6-32 tap since I've been wearing down that particular one. A lot of PC-related screws have that thread, at least til everone moves over to their finer threaded metric counterparts... so it made sense.
Well curiously enough, while making an order from Mouser the other week I saw a drill-tap. It didn't take long to put two-and-two together before I ordered one.
Gotta say makes things easier. from "hmm, just stick a nut and lock washer on it" to "Hey, I can just swap drill bits to a tap and viola~" to "Okay, too lazy, lets get the tap and drill all on the same bit"
Now I've gotta talk my dad into teaching me basic welding and I'll be able to weld up my own case at some point
Picture source: Micro-Machine Shop - Tapping Threads & Associated Reference Tables
Currently, there are 1888 Active Users (241 Members and 1647 Guests)
- › Paracord Mice Cable - made by CeeSA 1 minute ago
- › [YT] The State of Hawaii announces action to address predatory... 5 minutes ago
- › Coffee Lake Binning 8 minutes ago
- › [Official] Screenshot of Your Games Thread 9 minutes ago
- › VRM on the new AM4 motherboards 13 minutes ago
- › [Official] Creative Sound Blaster Z, Zx & ZxR Series Club 15 minutes ago
- › [PCgamesn] Every Take-Two game will have microtransactions from now on 17 minutes ago
- › Contiune with ryzen 1700.. or nah?? 17 minutes ago
- › Gigabyte Z170 \ H170 \ B150 Discussion, Help and Owners Club (... 24 minutes ago
- › [NASA] Solar System's First Interstellar Visitor Dazzles Scientiests. 25 minutes ago
- › AIM SC808 by Morti
- › Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming by vMax65
- › INTEL Core i5-8600K by vMax65
- › Ninox Venator - Black by vanir1337
- › Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-650FX 650W 80+ Gold ATX12V &... by AlphaC
- › Tt eSPORTS Ventus R by vanir1337
- › Cooler Master GX - 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply (RS750-ACAAD3-US) by Micss
- › ZOWIE GEAR ZA12 GAMING MOUSE by vanir1337
- › Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler ,... by SightUp
- › ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac by gopackersjt
- › Hands-On: TCL 55″ P-Series 4K HDR TV is...
- › (OPINION) AMD shot themselves in the foot by...
- › The Best CPUs of 1H 2017 (DRAFT)
- › AM4 Motherboard manufacturers , make...
- › AsRock, you dissapointed me on Ryzen launch...
- › Why 240GB, 250GB , 256GB, and 275GB SATA3 SSD...
- › The Orion Spectrum: Everything You Need from...
- › Windows 10 Tweaks
- › Analyzing the Source Code of UEFI for Intel...
- › Overclock.net Counter Strike: Global...