Zalman 9500 sux!! - Page 7 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 100 Old 10-03-2006, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
1.3ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Compaddict- Please note the worn look of the CPU. Hang the warrenty. I did indeed lap the sucker. It was in fact crowned and slightly uneven, but so was the stock HS. The Zalman was not so bad, but it is flat now. I also bent the spring just a tad to increase the pressure.
I fired it up, but alas it still idles at 46*C after a short stress run. It's about 78*F in the room so it may drop a degree yet.
OK, I've been running Orthos for about 20 minutes now with a clock of 2.64 and Pcprobe says it's 55*C, With one core at 57*C and the other at 56*C, and it seems to be stable.
HA, it just dropped to 54*C.
More later!
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 100 Old 10-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Really Old Fart

Liked: 109
Ok, here are some pics of my rigs:

The side fan is pulling our hot air

This is a 100 cfm fan drawing air in. There is another 120mm fan above it behind the drive covers which are filtered also.

You can see the 2-80mm fans pulling air our along with the PS above it
LL
LL
LL
LL

exclamation.gif_Warning - Water Cooling is as addictive as Overclocking!_ exclamation.gif
~ Can cause severe wallet shrinkage. Use at your own risk! ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaRLiToS go_quote.gif

I'm not adding you because you beat me. tongue.gif

100 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Chimp Challenge Participant X4  BOINC Pentathlon Participant   Overclock.net 10 Year Member  Forum Folding War 2017 

post #63 of 100 Old 10-03-2006, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
1.3ghz

Compaddict-Thats a pretty neat setup, I like the filtered air part, I gots no filters, and I gots dust too. And cat hair. My shop is now a cat house.
CPU is now at 53*C.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 100 Old 10-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Really Old Fart

It's better but should still be lower than that. Ambient room temp plays a big role too. 78f is a little warm to me, but not sure if it would make THAT much of a difference. Case airflow/cooling is essential which is why I sent the pics to try and show airflow. Dumb question but are you putting the side cover back on when it's running? Air doesn't move if you have it off.

Below is my other rig which may show it better. You can see the top and side fans. The top blows out because heat rises and you can see the side fan blows cool air right into the Zalman. A 100cfm fan in the front and back so air is being moved well.

Maybe it's just the pic but it took me a little more AS5 to cover my processor. I was suprized you were able to lap it flat without hitting the copper. Must not have been that big of a crown then. I just had a little silver left on top when I was done with mine.

We will get this figured out and you are learning a lot in the process. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

exclamation.gif_Warning - Water Cooling is as addictive as Overclocking!_ exclamation.gif
Quote:

100 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Chimp Challenge Participant X4  BOINC Pentathlon Participant   Overclock.net 10 Year Member  Forum Folding War 2017 

post #65 of 100 Old 10-04-2006, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
1.3ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaddict
It's better but should still be lower than that. Ambient room temp plays a big role too. 78f is a little warm to me, but not sure if it would make THAT much of a difference. Case airflow/cooling is essential which is why I sent the pics to try and show airflow. Dumb question but are you putting the side cover back on when it's running? Air doesn't move if you have it off.

Below is my other rig which may show it better. You can see the top and side fans. The top blows out because heat rises and you can see the side fan blows cool air right into the Zalman. A 100cfm fan in the front and back so air
is being moved well.

Maybe it's just the pic but it took me a little more AS5 to cover my processor. I was suprized you were able to lap it flat without hitting the copper. Must not have been that big of a crown then. I just had a little silver left on top when I was done with mine.

We will get this figured out and you are learning a lot in the process. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
I am stubborn if nothing else. In my 70 years I have had a stroke, carotid artery surgery, open heart sugery, a heart valve replaced and a by-pass and I'm still up and around and going to the gym 3 times a week. I don't give up easily.
-I'm finding that ambient temps make a big difference, and yes all measurements are with the side cover on.

-I am running Orthos blended CPU/RAM at 100% full chat. Room temp right now is about 24*C, temp inside the case is about 26/27*C, mobo temp is 35*C and cpu is 52*C and holding steady. The 2 hard drives are running 34/35*C respectively.

-Our rigs are not that much different. Mine is a little more compact. Both my side fans blow in, the upper one has a speed controller on it so that I can set it to blow enough air to pressurize the case and force air out the vent on the other side of the case. Fast or slow speed, the CPU temp stays the same and it sits almost on top of the Zalman. The front fan also blows in with pretty good volume. Remember the inside case temp is only about 80*F.

-I found my chip did have a crown in the center, but it also had a slight ridge
on either side, so I lapped it with 1000 grit water sandpaper, and polished it with red buffing compound. Did the same with the Zalman, but it was pretty good to start with. Actually, the stock cooler had a pronounce bulge on it, readily seen with a straight edge. Funny thing is, The Zalman is not a lot better than the stock cooler.

-Eventually I will pull the cooler back off and check how good the AS5 coverage is. The Zalman is not hard to install, but it is almost impossible to keep it steady when starting the screws, it will move around a bit. Dunno if that is detrimental or not. We shall see.

I really appreciate the way you have helped me with this, I have learned a lot and loved every minute of it. I've been working on computers for a long time, back when PC's didn't even have hard drives, but back then heat wasn't a problem, there wasn't even a fan on the cpu, just in the power supply.

post #66 of 100 Old 10-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Really Old Fart

I was searching posts and the amount of AS5 you used is fine from what I've read. Guess I will use less next time. Remember your temps will drop after a while as the paste cures. Although we try to stay under 50c, up to 55c is fine from what I've read, some even go 60-65c. The higher the temp, the shorter the lifespan but I usually upgrade at least every 2 years anyway. I know with mounting the Zalman it moves around a bit but that helps spread the AS5, it's fine. Lets see what happens in a week or two. As your ambient temps drop for the winter, so will your numbers.

We have a lot in common George. I've had bypass myself at the young age of 35 due to disease (which is why I fold). I hope this program will find cures soon, life is hard enough without these things. I'm glad your doing well and you are still able to do things you enjoy. I try to do the same. I have been building puters for about 15 years but never got into this part of it. I am having a good time with it too. One day I will be able to hit the big OC's but I have a lot to learn yet. I'm happy to help, just returning the favor that everyone on here has done for me. That's the cool part, helping each other do what most people won't ever get into. It's a very cool hobby, just can get a little expensive at times.

Quote:

post #67 of 100 Old 10-07-2006, 05:24 PM
1.3ghz

Liked: 8
Been using the zalman 9500 am2 and its pretty solid. Keeps my load temps much better than the stock cooler would. As ever tho I am on the lookout for more so I gave this a shot Scythe Ninja, rev B. Just from the size and looks of it looks like it will be a much better cooler than the zalman, so perhaps I can go for 3.0Ghz without going over 55C. Have to say tho, compared to the size of any other cooler for AM2 socket, the zalman seems to be the smallest by far and also uses a much smaller fan, so I think they got a very efficient design on their hands. Came in yesterday but haven't had time to get down to installing it yet and it is indeed massive. I cannot imagine how their newer model infinity would fit on most ppl's cases/mobos, once I saw the size of this smaller version.
post #68 of 100 Old 10-07-2006, 05:47 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 181
George... First , let me say how much I admire you for getting involved in a hobby like this at your age. I'm a pretty old fart compared to these guys, adn it's remarkable that you have found this pasttime .

Lapping should have really helped your temps come down a couple of degrees. I suspect that Speedfan is a big part of the problem... it's notoriously unreliable. I'm using a monitoring program called sensorsview that I downloaded for free ( google it ) and it's much more reliable.I lapped my AC Freezer with 400, 800, 1000, and 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper till I got a quarter reflected in the surface whose date I could read. It probably made a 3 degree difference. Every little bit helps.

here's where I got sensorsviewhttp:/http://www.majorgeeks.com/SensorsView_d4859.html/
post #69 of 100 Old 10-07-2006, 05:48 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 181
post #70 of 100 Old 10-07-2006, 05:59 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 51
i figured i should post a pic to..just becaus
[IMG]http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/599/***newye9.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbzhnsr1
Try these words next time you spend time with her, "Est-ce que tu veux danser sur la table pour moi? No? Vous etes une piece de mairde!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideburns
translation:
"Want to dance on a table for me? No? You're a piece of poop!"

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page