Help Me Outfit an Arc Midi with Fans - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-16-2012, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker in Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm in the process of updating my existing desktop, a blend of newer and older parts that currently lives in and around an Antec 1200 case I bought a few years ago. The case is great for airflow but difficult to work in, and sounds more or less like a jet engine. Having looked at a few possible replacement cases, I've tentatively decided on a Fractal Design Arc Midi, which I'm hoping will (among other things) be easier to work with (better cable and drive bay management) and perhaps dampen the sound a bit while still offering good airflow if properly configured.

Which leads to the following questions:

1. There are two front and one rear 140mm fan mounts on the Arc Midi. For these and the other slots where a 140mm fan can be used, any suggestions on a 140mm fan or fans that would combine long life, low noise and decent airflow? I don't necessarily need silent as the grave, and I certainly want to keep my CPU and GPU cool, but I'd really like to get away from the turbine effect I'm now experiencing. I'm willing to pay more if that's needed, though obviously I'd prefer a cheaper solution if I can get most of the same benefit while avoiding a price premium.

2. Should I use a different fan for the 140mm exhaust(s) vs the intakes, assuming I want positive or equal pressure?

3. The top slot on the Arc Midi can mount either (a) two 140mm fans (well, three actually, but I'm not planning to put more than two there initially) or (b) one 140mm and one 180mm fan. Should I go with a pair of 140mm fans or one 140mm and one 180mm fan? If the latter, any recommendations on a 180mm fan, with the same considerations in mind?

4. This is likely going to leave me with more fans than the native case controller can accommodate (it can handle three fans). That's a difference from the Antec, which includes a control switch or knob for each of the case fans. With that in mind, should I be looking at 4 pin/PWM fans only or is that not really an issue? Would it matter if I decide to get a fan controller? I assume not.

Alot of questions, but I'm currently lost in a sea of reviews and specs (some of questionable accuracy/veracity), and I'd therefore be very grateful for any feedback you might have to offer. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 03:46 AM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 40
1. The fans that come with the Arc Midi are great for their balance between noise and volume of air. It comes with three which can be configured in many different ways. If you decide to buy any alternative fans, remember that the front fan mounts require box style fans. Things like the Cougar Vortex do not fit. I might suggest Fractal's own R2 140mm fans as they are fairly quiet and push a decent amount of air.

2. The biggest thing with the exhaust is the grill on the back. This has been shown in other posts to hamper airflow a bit. You could remove it, or just get a high static pressure fan that moves a lot of air. I've got the aforementioned Vortex on the back of mine.

3. I personally run with just one 140mm fan on the top. I see no reason to add extra exhaust power when the case is running in positive pressure. Any extra heat will be forced out the top anyway. Otherwise, just keep in mind that you'll have three intake three exhaust if you put fans on the top. One suggestion is to put a 120mm intake over the drive bay (otherwise leaving them empty) as you'll have a spot there; cover or leave empty the middle spot and put a 140mm fan on exhaust in the back.

4. The native case controller handles three fans, in addition too any fans that your motherboard can handle. I'm running five fans on mine with two being controlled by the motherboard. The fan controller is a small thing that fits in a bonus rear slot in the case. It has 3pin leads for the three fans. The Antec one is much more sophisticated, but I believe unnecessary unless you have loud fans.

So here's how I have mine setup:
Front: 2x Yate-Loon 140mm Medium Speed
Rear Exhaust: Cougar Vortex 140mm
Top and Side: 140mm Fractal Silent Series
I want to put a 220mm Yate Loon on the side, but I have to buy it yet.

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #3 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 04:12 AM

hey mate, your questions were pretty much answered above, so i'll just let you know what my setup is which is working fine....

I have 2 of the supplied fractal 140mm fans on the front panel as intakes.

I have a 92 mm noctua nf-b9 on the bottom of the case as an intake (my power supply is longer and covers the provided 140/120 mounting holes, something to consider depending on the size of your PSU)

I have a corsair h100 radiator on the top of the case with the fans pushing air from within the case through the radiator and out of the case....

I have 1 of the supplied fractal 140mm fans on the rear panel as an exaust...

all the fans are working off the motherboard except the noctua 92mm which works off the supplied fan controller.....

I also have a DEMCi Flex Fan Filter 200mm covering the side panel (magnet secured), as it doesn't come with a filter....

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_26_576&products_id=14781

the supplied fans are quiet enough that it doesn't bother me, although my 7970 stock fan drowns out the other fans anyway.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Overclocker in Training

Droviin and Riceman, many thanks for your replies!

I like the idea of keeping the top exhaust setup modest for now, and I think I'll go in that direction, using one of the FD native case fans. That will have the added advantage of keeping the number of intake and exhaust fans the same, assuming I just stick with the two front intakes. I assume I should keep balance in the number of intake/exhaust for positive pressure, but let me know if I'm off on that.

I also like the idea of adding a bit of extra pressure via the rear exhaust, given the grill issue, which I hadn't heard about - many thanks for that information! I was thinking of using a Cougar, although my original thought was to use it in front. I'm surprised about the mounting - is there definitely no adapter that might make it work in front?

As to fan control, I hadn't thought of the Mobo headers, which aren't really an issue for me now, but it looks like I'd have enough for six fans (Mobo plus case fan control) so I should be squared away.

One last point: you guys have side/bottom intakes. Is there any advantage to one or the other as a third intake? I was very glad to see there's an addable dust cover, since that would be an issue, at a minimum if I decide to add a side fan.

post #5 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Commodore 64

Liked: 22
Check out the pic I have in my profile. I think you'll like it.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Fan Man

Liked: 101
My current setup:
Front intakes: 2x Sharkoon Silent Eagle 140mm at 800rpm. Top hdd bay removed.
Bottom/floor intake: 1x Silent Eagle 140mm running off a 5w in-line suppressor (likely around 4-500 rpm)
Rear exhaust: TY-140 at 650-800rpm situationally.

Top is sealed off with acoustic foam.

FYI the front fan mounting system is a pita.

I kinda lied. Above is my regular setup. Right now I'm testing out a Silverstone AP-141 in the top-front intake. So far the results are good, and it achieves adequate current at low rpm; currently running it at 570rpm and temps are about the same as with the Sharkoon.

post #7 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterclock View Post

My current setup:
Front intakes: 2x Sharkoon Silent Eagle 140mm at 800rpm. Top hdd bay removed.
Bottom/floor intake: 1x Silent Eagle 140mm running off a 5w in-line suppressor (likely around 4-500 rpm)
Rear exhaust: TY-140 at 650-800rpm situationally.
Top is sealed off with acoustic foam.
FYI the front fan mounting system is a pita.
I kinda lied. Above is my regular setup. Right now I'm testing out a Silverstone AP-141 in the top-front intake. So far the results are good, and it achieves adequate current at low rpm; currently running it at 570rpm and temps are about the same as with the Sharkoon.

I'm disappointed to hear the front mounting system is difficult, but I gather from everyone's replies that there's at least some flexibility in the remaining slots (e.g., for a Cougar or TY-140 in the rear), which is nice. I see you use a bottom intake. Any thoughts about the effectiveness of a bottom vs. a side intake, assuming only one is used?

Also, I see you have a Ven X. Any size/fit issues with that in the Midi? I may upgrade my cooler as well.

post #8 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Fan Man

Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jones View Post

I'm disappointed to hear the front mounting system is difficult, but I gather from everyone's replies that there's at least some flexibility in the remaining slots (e.g., for a Cougar or TY-140 in the rear), which is nice. I see you use a bottom intake. Any thoughts about the effectiveness of a bottom vs. a side intake, assuming only one is used?
Also, I see you have a Ven X. Any size/fit issues with that in the Midi? I may upgrade my cooler as well.

It's only a pain installing or removing fans from the clip system. So long as you aren't swapping fans out all the time (which I do), it's no biggie.

I've found that side fans have limited effectiveness unless you have components that really benefit from airflow from that direction (crossfire, top down cpu coolers etc); plus side panels are great conductors of noise via vibration (tough to mitigate even with dampening) and fan exposure.

The bottom fan is a little more cohesive with the direction of airflow, and basically just works to help the intake air along and allows me to lower the speed of the front intakes a bit. Funny thing about the bottom fan is that it takes some finessing: it needs to be run just fast enough to bring a little air in from the floor and give the front intake airflow a small helping hand upwards. But..if it pushes too hard, it can blow the intake flow right past the gpu before the gpu's fans can tap into it (depending on the gpu's cooling setup).

I like the Arc Midi but recently I've been thinking my next case is gonna be something that uses all 120mm.

post #9 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker in Training

Thanks for the insights on the bottom and side fans, Otterclock. I'll probably hold off for now, but go with a bottom intake rather than a side intake if/when I use another intake fan.

One question for everyone: taking a quick look at some of the available options for the front intake fans, assuming they have to be in 140X140X25 box configuration, I ran across these fans that looked like reasonable possibilities:

BitFenix Spectre Pro
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556097174.html

Rosewill ROCF-11003 Hyperborea
http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-ROCF-11003-Hyperborea-140mm-Case/dp/B006CSKM20

Akasa Apache Black Super Silent
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13925/fan-905/Akasa_140mm_x_25mm_Apache_Black_Super_Silent_PWM_F

Any thoughts about these? Any others I should be looking at?

post #10 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 07:15 PM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 40
I thought about the Akasa fans myself. I might go with the Akasa Viper fans as they'll run the machine cooler. Although those fans are a bit louder.

I'd pass over the Roswell myself. As for the BitFenix, I'm not too sure I haven't read anything about them or used them myself.

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page