Trouble with my Noctua Fans, what's their RMA service like?(03/14/2013: Response recieved, replacements on their way). - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Hi, I have been running 3 Noctua NF-A14 FLX fans in my case for the past 6 weeks until they started getting loud at 12V and stopping at 5V.

I opened the case, removed the fans and inspected them and sure enough there are oil spots all around the frames(enlarge to see clearly):

So I went to Noctua's website and filed for Direct RMA today(I included a jpg of my Invoice from Amazon, pity my Amazon return window expired 10 days ago). I have recieved a RMA ticket# from their automated repsonse bot.

I just want to know if any OCNer have dealt with Noctua RMA services before? How fast do they respond? Do they offer pre-paid shipping Labels? Where is their RMA center in the US and how long is the turn around time? Anything regarding your Noctua RMA experience would be helpful. Thanks.

I don't hug trees, but I do drive a Prius wink.gif

post-flame-small.gif GTX 1080 Overclock Leaderboard & Owners Club post-flame-small.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Liked: 312
Just got Noctua's response:
Quote:
Dear Mr.,

First of all many thanks for choosing our fans.

We are very sorry to hear that you are having issues with your NF-A14-FLX fans.
Please send us the fan lot codes of the affected units for quality control purposes, these codes are printed onto the side of the fan frame and might be difficult to read in low-light conditions.
We'll dispatch you three NF-A14-FLX replacement fans in the meantime, but since you're from the USA please expect a shipping time of up to 7-14 working days.
I've to add that it is rather unlikely that the fans will start at 5v, because even though the start-up voltage is not specified it is likely that the fans will require about 7-8v in order to spin reliably.

After you've received the replacement fans, please take the defective fans and break off one fan blade from each oily fan. Then take a photo of the broken fans next your ID card and send it to us as a reply to the original ticket. This way we can avoid the hassle that you have to send back the old fans.

Kind regards,
XXXXX
Noctua support team

Needless to say I am very pleased with their response.

I don't hug trees, but I do drive a Prius wink.gif

post-flame-small.gif GTX 1080 Overclock Leaderboard & Owners Club post-flame-small.gif

post #3 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 1629
Have always heard great thing about Noctua CS and your dealings back it up.

I never had a problem with Noctua fans as don't have many. I did need a mounting kit for an old NH-U12P and they were great.

post-flame-small.gifPhanteks Owners Club post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifWays to Better Cooling post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gif1. Controling PWM Case Fans post-flame-small.gif2. Optimizing Case Cooling post-flame-small.gif3. Cooler Size Comparison & Cooling Comparison
post-flame-small.gif
=i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socket
Phanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPU i7 980xCooler R1 Ultimate w/ TY-147A fans RAM Dominator GT 6x2GB GPU ENGTX580 DCUII PSU Corsair TX850 Case [/COLOR]Phanteks Enthoo PrimoBase custom caster base
=i7 980X @ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-22-2016, 09:01 AM

Liked: 0
I know that's an old thread but here's my experience.

I have bought D15 tower cooler with 2 fans included. After ~40 hours one of the fans started to produce very unsettling noise. I have filled an RMA for a fan...it took them over 48 hours (on work days count) to respond with regular "try this, try that". Even thought I specified in RMA request those exact things didn't help...

After troubleshooting things I found out both my Noctua fans produce same type of noise when placed at same configuration on heatsink so that's what I wrote to Noctua (and btw it doesn't happen with any other fans in same configuration and speed, only Noctua A15's). 48 hours after they assumed it has something to do with RAM clearance..(How? Why? I don't know) and offered "5mm" anti-vibration mounts (Why? I don't know).

They doesn't even seem to bother reading problem description just copy-pasting stuff from the list...oh and each response takes 2 working days at least, apparently because coping process is pretty tough.

Have been choosing between Cryorig, Phanteks and Noctua coolers. Will never opt to Noctua again.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-22-2016, 11:28 PM

Liked: 157
That's an unfortunate and unusual experience with Noctua support. When I had a couple of bad clicky P14 fans, they swapped them within 24 hours. Where did you purchase the D15?

Also unfortunate you had to wait for three years for this thread to be become undead.

Also a good lesson to all enthusiast manufacturers - takes years to build a brand and attract a customer, but just a few minutes of support neglect to lose one.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-23-2016, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroCat View Post

That's an unfortunate and unusual experience with Noctua support. When I had a couple of bad clicky P14 fans, they swapped them within 24 hours. Where did you purchase the D15?

Also unfortunate you had to wait for three years for this thread to be become undead.

Also a good lesson to all enthusiast manufacturers - takes years to build a brand and attract a customer, but just a few minutes of support neglect to lose one.

Yeah, I don't think it will ruin anything for them, only for me smile.gif
I bought one from Czech Rep official reseller but contacted Noctua support directly at Noctua.at.

However I think it was worth to describe this type of premium service experience at forum as the only things I found about Noctua is praising (usually from 2013-2014), so either things changed or I'm unlucky. Anyhow if Noctua values its service it should monitor big forums like this one. So, we'll see.
If story will have continuation I will update the message (I guess in Wednesday,regarding this Flash speeds)

Maybe if it will continue like that it will be worth to start threads on multiple forums, it's possible that I'm not alone in this but people just didn't report it
post #7 of 17 Old 09-26-2016, 04:45 AM
Commodore 64

Liked: 1629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikowolf View Post

Yeah, I don't think it will ruin anything for them, only for me smile.gif
I bought one from Czech Rep official reseller but contacted Noctua support directly at Noctua.at.

However I think it was worth to describe this type of premium service experience at forum as the only things I found about Noctua is praising (usually from 2013-2014), so either things changed or I'm unlucky. Anyhow if Noctua values its service it should monitor big forums like this one. So, we'll see.
If story will have continuation I will update the message (I guess in Wednesday,regarding this Flash speeds)

Maybe if it will continue like that it will be worth to start threads on multiple forums, it's possible that I'm not alone in this but people just didn't report it
This does not sound typical of Noctua. In recent years I've contacted them a couple of times with quick replies and resolutions.

post-flame-small.gifPhanteks Owners Club post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifWays to Better Cooling post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gif1. Controling PWM Case Fans post-flame-small.gif2. Optimizing Case Cooling post-flame-small.gif3. Cooler Size Comparison & Cooling Comparison
post-flame-small.gif
=i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socket
Phanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPU i7 980xCooler R1 Ultimate w/ TY-147A fans RAM Dominator GT 6x2GB GPU ENGTX580 DCUII PSU Corsair TX850 Case [/COLOR]Phanteks Enthoo PrimoBase custom caster base
=i7 980X @ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #8 of 17 Old 09-26-2016, 04:47 AM

UPD. On RMA process.
Turned out in Noctua they're aware of the fact that different fans work differently (wow!) And they are even so generous to share this secret knowledge with peasant (wow! wow!).
However another 48 hrs. response (funny how precise this is) only suggests to "not put fans in position that makes noise" even tho it's clearly a valid configuration mentioned in manual as well.

So...you know...go buy our 150$ tower so it's only half functional and temps are terrible (as "low noise" positioning fails to cool the second tower).

As for someone in support being "bad". It seems like they have been ping-ponging my request from one person to another. Coincidentally all of them are honorable members of C.O. college.

Sorry...it's a very toxic post but dammit this is outrageous for a "premium" product.

p.s
"low noise" and "noisy" positions are nothing fancy. Just second fan be either on front or back of the cooler. But since intake is in front and back is for exhaust it seems fans can't push air hard enough to pass second tower - resulting in higher temps (second tower is much more hotter on touch).
I could probably revert the tower but my OCD can't let that logo be upside down. And even if I would, this is not what I'd expect for that price.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-26-2016, 05:17 AM
Amiga 500

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I had this issue too with these fans (oil leak)
post #10 of 17 Old 09-26-2016, 05:43 AM

Response from Noctua. Only some neat highlights.
Quote:
Dear *****

it took 4 days (it took 6, but whatever) because my colleague that normally does the RMA inbox had a lot of work last week. This is not normal and we're sorry for this. Now he's on holiday, so I took over this ticket.
And if you now start to think, that you cooler may be broken: It's not. We have about 5 broken coolers a year, and it's always the same. If a cooler is broken, your results are not only 10-20 degrees worse. Temperatures will jump up and your cpu will overheat in 10 sec.

To be fair this guy seem to be at least trying to get in the issue ( I guess it's the third guy so far). But the thing about "only 10-20 degrees worse =/= broken" should really be noted by anyone considering this tower.

Man, why the shop I was ordering from just had to sell last Cryorig hours before me..***.

UPD (last, I guess?)

My response to Noctua
Quote:
I'm pretty sure not only I, but even my neighbors could hear that noise. Suggesting "I just didn't hear it at first" is pretty bold. (He did in previous email) Neither I claim the fan is broken, If you read previous email you should know that issue was narrowed (with out a tiny bit of help from Your Support) to heatsink or mounts or I don't know, I'm not the one who's selling this product.

My case if Evolv ATX. Yes I have tested different fan configurations at first and mentioned noise didn't appear. Right now I'm at stock fan configuration for this case and I've seen countless posts on the internet with this cooler and this case with No problems like this. If your suggestion regarding "unique" conditions were true this issue would disappear if some of the fan cases replaced or case placed in different position. This didn't happen.
I'm surely glad you're testing is excessively but it doesn't help to resolve my issue.

I might be "one of the few" but this is a fact. With non-Noctua fan in the back (with no noise) I'm getting up to ~10 degrees improvement under full load.
This orientation is pretty standard and is mentioned in your manual. If you didn't notice this is an X99 motherboard so part about RAM doesn't apply here. (for some reason they insist there's a RAM clearance issue)

And I know for a fact many after market coolers from your direct competition allow this configuration so I'm not sure why are you claiming it's "unusual" or "unique". It is not.

Now, this is a nice statement. So what are you saying that if Your cooler gives me "only" ("Only" for real? It's a difference between 70 & 90) 10-20 degrees worse temps than it does in all known tests, this is O.K. as far as my CPU isn't dead yet? Yep, that's very convenient, is it mentioned in your ad materials?

Full list of Hardware. (requested by Noctua)
Asus X99-E (non WS)
i7 5820k
MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X (lower slot)
4 sticks of RAM, both sides, low profile. (CRUCIAL 2400MHz, CL16, Ballistix Sport LT White).
Evolv ATX. All stock fans. Different positioning of the fans doesn't affect this noise.

I would like to know what's there else I could, in your opinion, try since I went as far as trying a case fans on CPU cooler (which shouldn't be even a thing) and it worked perfectly.

Finally there's some reaction after a week. That's pity your colleagues are busy (So many RMA's recently? hm...) but wasting customers time doesn't make it seem any better.

All best.

And response

Quote:
Dear *****,

I'm not going to react on your taunt.

Kind regards,

I do agree my email was toxic but after a week of ping-pong I'm kind of pissed off and the fact their claims are at least disturbing doesn't make it any better.

So here you have it folks. The glorious Noctua support. I'm not claiming I'm 100% right but it's up to you to decide if this kind of support is worth the price.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page