PSU:
Corsair GS600

CPU cooler:
Corsair H55 (recently added)

GPU:
Diamond 6870 XOC

Case:
Antec 300

I made this machine some years ago to build maps on this machine and then leave it overnight to compile, so initially I had no intention to keep it quiet. But as of recently, college is keeping me so busy that its no longer used for that purpose, I rarely game anymore either, and it's located in the room I sleep in now and is kept on.
Even with every fan unplugged, using just the 120mm one on the H55, the CPU stays about 23c idle temp, but still has a good amount of ambient noise to it. I haven't really investigated as to if the sound come from the GPU or PSu or CPU, but I would like it as quiet as possible.
I am open to the idea of a gpu cooler. Any suggestions for getting a really quiet one? Also what about replacing the 120mm fan on the H55, and quiet 120mm options?
I would like to get an additional two cheap 120mm fans and a 140mm one all on a manual controller so they can be turned off.
So my main questions are-
Suggestions for quiet fans for the H55?
Cheaper quiet case fans?
Does anyone know of a controller that allows me to switch the fans off?

Seriously though, it annoys me so much now I'm using my much quieter hackintosh to type this.
Thanks ahead of time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-05-2013, 05:04 AM
Commodore 64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1629
PSU:
Not much can be done to quiet your PSU without voiding the warranty. You can remove the intake vent grill on your case.

H55:
Not as quiet as good air cooler would be but some good PWM fans would help.

Diamond 6870 XOC:
Probably a big part of your noise. Not much you can do short of changing the cooler on it. Sorry.

Antec 300:
*Change as fans to PWM with good static pressure rating. Case fans need to overcome the grills, filters, cables & HDD cage.. resistance similar to modern coolers.. low static pressure fans can't keep up. Use a PWM splitter with molex power. This will enable you to run your cooler and case fans on same PWM signal so when cooler idles so does case.
*You can do this with GPU too but it's not quite as simple. You need a PWM signal splitter that has the small GPU plug and socket to pass PWM and power on to GPU fans so you only use the PWM signal from GPU with molex power a normal PWM fan socket. I can supply you with the wiring diagram but don't know of a pre-made splitter like this.
*Removing the pressed metal grills in case will increase airflow by at least 28% and lower noise too.
http://www.silverstonetek.com/techtalk_cont.php?tid=wh_chessis&area=en
*Possibly add a 140mm intake in bottom and raise case so you have 40-50mm clearance for good airflow to bottom intakes.
*I recommend air filters but they do restrict airflow.

Please feel free to ask questions. thumb.gif
Syntaxvgm likes this.

post-flame-small.gifPhanteks Owners Club post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifWays to Better Cooling post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gif1. Controling PWM Case Fans post-flame-small.gif2. Optimizing Case Cooling post-flame-small.gif3. Cooler Size Comparison & Cooling Comparison
post-flame-small.gif
=i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socket
Phanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPU i7 980xCooler R1 Ultimate w/ TY-147A fans RAM Dominator GT 6x2GB GPU ENGTX580 DCUII PSU Corsair TX850 Case [/COLOR]Phanteks Enthoo PrimoBase custom caster base
=i7 980X @ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #3 of 6 Old 04-05-2013, 05:17 AM
Technician / Systems Builder

Liked: 377
when I had an Antec 300 the biggest difference in quieting the thing down was replacing all the OEM fans in that came with.
I went with some stronger / quieter CM Sickleflow 120mm fans for the front and the back and then replaced the 140mm fan
with an AeroShark 140mm.
I then added a fan controller in the second 5.25" bay and ran the front and top fans off it while letting the motherboard of course
control the CPU and back fan.

just some minor changes I made that possibly turned out to be one of the quietest rigs I have had.
specs were:
980BE | 990FX | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GTX 570

good-luck.
Syntaxvgm likes this.

(A.S.) - IT | CompTIA A+, Net+ | MCDST | PMP | DSCE (Dell)
US Navy Vet - GS-E (PO3)

daily driver | surround boi

Clubz... (Click to show)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-05-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Programmer

Liked: 6
Hey,
thanks for the responses.
I'm looking at options for a case fan setup.
As for the 6870, I would rather get an aftermarket cooler if I modify the fan. Any suggestions on quiet vga coolers? Or will this make no difference?
Also, I'm not afraid of modify the PSU if it is loud, I've done it plenty before, although I haven't checked and I doubt it is the problem as they are generally quiet unless they have problems.
Everything in the computer is out of warranty I believe (except the H55)

post #5 of 6 Old 04-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Technician / Systems Builder

Liked: 377
more specifically replace the 2 front 120mm and back 120mm fans with these..
depending on desired color:
CM 120mm fans

and then the 140mm fan replace with something like this:
CM 140mm

lastly I use the fan controller along with it:
BitFenix Recon

I listed these fans because of the low noise ratings and personal experience, by all means research for yourself
to see if you prefer different models if taking my advice.

as I stated, the two front 120mm fans are the noise makers with the Antec 300, at least swap those out.
smile.gif

just make sure the PSU is blowing out the bottom is all you really need to do.
as for the 6870, MEH... if gaming then it's time to think about upgrading, it's still a good mid card I guess.

(A.S.) - IT | CompTIA A+, Net+ | MCDST | PMP | DSCE (Dell)
US Navy Vet - GS-E (PO3)

daily driver | surround boi

Clubz... (Click to show)
post #6 of 6 Old 04-06-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
Programmer

Liked: 6
I will do that. I believe I will find blue instead possibly, idk yet. But the suggested fans do have good reviews. As for the case fans I'm going to get one of those lamptron military stile switches and pass all of the case fans through that, then posible a controller, depending on my budget. I don't case if they are loud, as long as I can shut them off.

I know the 6870 is dated, but I rarely game due to how busy I am. But believe it or not this rig has still played every new game I've thrown at it at 1080p with most important settings max/near max so it doesn't bother me yet, the 1GB video memory is it's real shortfall. I want to keep this computer on a budget for now until I build a new one (next year I think), which I will go nuts on....like get a double wide case labs case and hand sleeve all of the cables, water cool the GPUs, ect.

I did find out some of the noise is coming form the 6870, and I think I'll look for something quieter possibly.
Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page