Powder Coating a D14 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-21-2013, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
4.0 GHz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I read some threads about people wanting to paint their heatsinks and how that may or may not effect the ability to displace heat... Does anyone know if powder coating would be an option? I'm looking to get a new heatsink to replace my H100 but I really want it to be black. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-21-2013, 11:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK $79.99

New Leader: Phanteks PH-TC14PE Super-Cooler Review. Page 5
i thought i saw a review were it even beat a D14 . .

"Name as many uses for a brick as you can in one minute." - interview at graphics-chip maker Nvidia for a campaign-manager job
Fermi: it's better to burn out than fade away.
Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 12:01 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by looniam View Post

Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK $79.99

New Leader: Phanteks PH-TC14PE Super-Cooler Review. Page 5
i thought i saw a review were it even beat a D14 . .

is it as quiet as a D14 though?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 12:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloJoe6669 View Post

is it as quiet as a D14 though?

just slightly louder:

Benchmark Results: Noise And Acoustic Efficiency

"Name as many uses for a brick as you can in one minute." - interview at graphics-chip maker Nvidia for a campaign-manager job
Fermi: it's better to burn out than fade away.
Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 12:29 AM
The debug-inator

Liked: 1127
post #6 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 06:54 AM
Commodore 64

Liked: 1629
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKinn View Post

I read some threads about people wanting to paint their heatsinks and how that may or may not effect the ability to displace heat... Does anyone know if powder coating would be an option? I'm looking to get a new heatsink to replace my H100 but I really want it to be black. Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompsonn View Post

I have both and for all intents and purposes, they are pretty much just as quiet. I did put other fans on my Phanteks though, but when I was using stock it was quiet still smile.gif

A lot depends on how heavy a coat you put on. Why not get a cooler that is anodized with a color you like to start with? There are several now. Phanteks and Prolimatech Megahalem for example.

I've ran stock fans, TY-140's, TY-143's, their new PH-T140HP's on TC14PE, Silver Arrow SB-E and old Cogage Arrow (aka Silver Arrow) and all are very close in performance and noise. I find the TY-14x to be quieter and better cooling.. but it's not much.. maybe 1c better cooling and the sound level may be more the tone than actual loudness. This is comparing them at same rpm. TY-143 is obviously much louder if you wind it up above1200-1300.. twice as loud if you max it out at 2500rpm. On my i7 920 and i7 980 they run about 1000rpm max at less than 50c on IBT 22c ambient... and that's just loud enough to know system is working. I could set them to 900rpm max at 55c but it's kinda nice to know they are running when I'm pushing system to 100% on all cores. biggrin.gif

New SA SB-E is a little cooler at low rpm than old Silver Arrow but we are talking 1-2c.. and at high rpm the old Silver Arrow is 1-2c cooler.

SA SB-E and 14PC are very close to being the same... and I'm told NH-D14 is right there with the above 3 too.. and a few more

post-flame-small.gifPhanteks Owners Club post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifWays to Better Cooling post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gif1. Controling PWM Case Fans post-flame-small.gif2. Optimizing Case Cooling post-flame-small.gif3. Cooler Size Comparison & Cooling Comparison
post-flame-small.gif
=i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socket
Phanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPU i7 980xCooler R1 Ultimate w/ TY-147A fans RAM Dominator GT 6x2GB GPU ENGTX580 DCUII PSU Corsair TX850 Case [/COLOR]Phanteks Enthoo PrimoBase custom caster base
=i7 980X @ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #7 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
4.0 GHz

Liked: 3
Thanks for all the help everyone! I had looked at the TC14PE in black before and the only thing I didn't like about it was how it says Phanteks on top of the heatsink, I wish nothing was there. I also looked at the Megahalem, which I really like. I only wish this was a bit larger.

I suppose I'm just going to bite the bullet and get one of those two coolers. Again, thank you for all the suggestions!
post #10 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Ryzen from the ashes for EPYC yo

Liked: 278
Deepcool Neptwin is the cheapest on that list and is pretty silent. Has weak fans to start with so yeah great performance can be had out of that heatsink
Although i wished they made a anodized version biggrin.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page