Interesting Problem occuring with lapped acfreezer64pro and nake Venice core and AS5 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-11-2006, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter
AMD Overclocker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Well as you may or may not know, I know have ripped the IHS of my venice core, awesome -- and I lapped my ac64pro, more awesome. I figured this would all decrease my temps up to 30% considering what Ive seen others do with this set up (or with similar setups)

But I was discouraged that my temps ROSE a few degrees.. I tried re-seating the huge Acfreezer 4 times, to no avail. And I KNOW Im using the right amount of AS5, its less than 1/3rd the size of a grain of rice (since the core is SMALL on this chip, and the cooler is lapped to 2000 grit, almost perfect mirror shine, I shouldnt need much to fill in the imperfections at this point.

Well I was right. Today my temps skyrocketed to 75 degrees and I promptly shut the system down and de-clocked it all to stock settings for safety. The core is STILL hitting almost 60.. so I knew somethign had to be wrong. I popped open the case while it was folding (easiest thing to test my full load stability at the time, and Id like more points plz )

I accidentally nudged the cooler and the temps dropped nearly 6C instantly... curious, I pressed on the cooler a bit more, and steadily this time, and I watched as my core temp PLUMMETED (on both speedfan, and everest, to be sure I wasnt getting any mis-read of the temps)

Well obviously I have found my problem, the damn cooler isnt making good contact with the exposed core of my venice. Well both surfaces are clean and nearly devoid of imperfections, and the AS5 is all good and new, so I guess I need to go about modding the retention clip for the mobo and/or for the cooler to get it to put the correct amount of pressure on the core to ensure an air-tight heat area for good heat transfer. Now, Im sure this core can handle the weight of this cooler, I didnt break the core by PUSHING steadily (with a good amount of force from both hands to keep it level) so Im sure I wont break the core by having the cooler clamped on there a bit tighter.

So after my LONG LONG LONG story here, I ask you all this, anyone who has had a naked s939 chip & board, and anyone who has had an ACpro64 cooler, how do I go about modifying the retention bracket on the mobo or modifying the clips on the cooler? Im at a standstill here, any info/comments/questions will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for reading my novel of a post, if you want a quick summary ti is thus;
naked venice, lapped ACfreezer64pro, temps WAY HIGH, ac cooler not being securely held to the naked venice core, need help modifying brackets/clips in order to assure a good seal (so I can stand my case upright again)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-11-2006, 02:19 AM
3.5ghz

Liked: 47
Hmm i have none of the above, but i'd think just putting something between where the retention clip goes across and pulls down on the heatsink. Just to make the heatsink slightly taller across where the retention clip goes, thus creating more downward pressure..???

post #3 of 6 Old 12-11-2006, 02:20 PM
733mhz

Liked: 4
I just recently removed my IHS in seek of better temps...but like you...found afterwards...they had risen slightly...so i decided to reapply AS5...but didn't really change anything at all....so then today i came upon this thread and decided to give a little more pressure to my cooler and see if the temps would change...but they didn't at all...and when i pushed the cooler on an angle...the temps skyrocketed up to the 70's until i let go...im running 1.55 volts...but i have great airflow in the case with 4 120mm fans + Zalman 9500CPNS just for the CPU..but nothing seems to drop the temperature. Im stumped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-11-2006, 02:43 PM
3.5ghz

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontPassTheFence View Post
Well as you may or may not know, I know have ripped the IHS of my venice core, awesome -- and I lapped my ac64pro, more awesome. I figured this would all decrease my temps up to 30% considering what Ive seen others do with this set up (or with similar setups)

But I was discouraged that my temps ROSE a few degrees.. I tried re-seating the huge Acfreezer 4 times, to no avail. And I KNOW Im using the right amount of AS5, its less than 1/3rd the size of a grain of rice (since the core is SMALL on this chip, and the cooler is lapped to 2000 grit, almost perfect mirror shine, I shouldnt need much to fill in the imperfections at this point.

Well I was right. Today my temps skyrocketed to 75 degrees and I promptly shut the system down and de-clocked it all to stock settings for safety. The core is STILL hitting almost 60.. so I knew somethign had to be wrong. I popped open the case while it was folding (easiest thing to test my full load stability at the time, and Id like more points plz )

I accidentally nudged the cooler and the temps dropped nearly 6C instantly... curious, I pressed on the cooler a bit more, and steadily this time, and I watched as my core temp PLUMMETED (on both speedfan, and everest, to be sure I wasnt getting any mis-read of the temps)

Well obviously I have found my problem, the damn cooler isnt making good contact with the exposed core of my venice. Well both surfaces are clean and nearly devoid of imperfections, and the AS5 is all good and new, so I guess I need to go about modding the retention clip for the mobo and/or for the cooler to get it to put the correct amount of pressure on the core to ensure an air-tight heat area for good heat transfer. Now, Im sure this core can handle the weight of this cooler, I didnt break the core by PUSHING steadily (with a good amount of force from both hands to keep it level) so Im sure I wont break the core by having the cooler clamped on there a bit tighter.

So after my LONG LONG LONG story here, I ask you all this, anyone who has had a naked s939 chip & board, and anyone who has had an ACpro64 cooler, how do I go about modifying the retention bracket on the mobo or modifying the clips on the cooler? Im at a standstill here, any info/comments/questions will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for reading my novel of a post, if you want a quick summary ti is thus;
naked venice, lapped ACfreezer64pro, temps WAY HIGH, ac cooler not being securely held to the naked venice core, need help modifying brackets/clips in order to assure a good seal (so I can stand my case upright again)
Your problem is the exact reason I am scared to lap MY Heatsink. obviously, if you're lapping, you are sanding away some of the metal and there for the heatsink no longer fits properly. I too am curious to see if there's anything that can be done. Would this mean lapping is only useful on heatsinks that need to be screwed down into the mobo?

Personally, I don't see how anything can be done about this situation other than going out to buy a new heatsink but perhaps someone else has come across with problem and resolves it.

Exad.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-11-2006, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 76
lapping probably removes up to 1mm of material -- my problem was that I completely removed the IHS on my Athlon 64 3200+ CPU, and that decreased the effective height of my chip by about 5-8mm, which is what caused this looseness (I was sure it wouldnt make this much of a difference, but I was wrong )

For a temporary fix (like charlie suggested) I threw a piece of foam in between the copper base of the AC cooler and the clips (its like a tiny see-saw) so by wedging the foam in there, I got a bit more clamping force and temps have gone back down to almost ambient at idle (28-32C) and 50-52C at load. Mind you these temps are with 250x10 at 1.55vcore IIRC. - its not my MAX overclock, but it will suffice until I get my opty for xmas.

post #6 of 6 Old 12-11-2006, 02:50 PM
2.4ghz

Liked: 35
you need to remove a few mm from retention bracket to match loss of ihs this lowers hsf enough to reapply adequate pressure

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page