Which fan placement would you use? (Pictures) - Overclock.net

View Poll Results: Front intake or Side Intake?
Front Intake 0 0%
Side Intake 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-19-2014, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey Overclock.net, it's been 6 years to the month since I posted here, pretty wild. In 2008 I built a PC, and it lasted me pretty damn well all the way up until now, as I decided I needed something new to tinker with and keep me busy.

I've pretty much 'destroyed' this Lian Li case Here it is new and have literally gutted it, tearing out it's demonic, screeching heart and throwing it across the room. I'm referring to the 6 year old pump, and 5 ball bearing fans watercooling setup. I'm all air now, baby, and never going back unless I move to... India. Or quad SLI, but that will likely never happen.

Anyhow I have a simple question. If you had this case in front of you with these 3 fans already installed; CPU, Rear Exhaust, and PSU...

Would you do this, close front intake? The drive bays are one big hole.

Or this, side intake on the GPU and main mobo heatsink?

I'm asking and not testing actual temps because if the side intake isn't an advantage over the front intake, I'd rather not spend time cutting a nice-as-it-can-be-with-a-skil-saw hole to later put cardboard over it if it's not in use. Also with my low temps I couldn't justify buying another fan to run front intake and side intake. The temp tests I was reading showed side intake as really good at cooling mobo and GPU, but front to back cooling makes intuitive sense to me.

Thanks ahead of time for your opinions!

This next part is not relevant to my question so feel totally free to ignore it.

To answer any aside questions, here's my reasoning for several of the ???'s with this overall setup. Only the SSD of all those hard drives is being used, so they don't require a fan blowing on them, and the entire bottom, which is now the top as the case is flipped, is ported with a few hundred vent holes. The top of the case, now the bottom, has that big foot long hole where the radiator used to be, that I've just left open for more passive airflow. I'm not worried about dust as I'll clean this case monthly, and I have hardwood floors as you can see in the pictures, that I sweep daily.

The CPU cooler is mounted that way because of the way the CPU die sits when the CPU is mounted. If I turned the CPU heatsink so that the fan could blow through the radiator to then be pushed out by the rear exhaust fan, only 2 of the 6 heatpipes would come into contact with the CPU die. It's a i5 4670K Haswell which is a long rectangular shape that in the MSI GD65 mobo is mounted so that it is a vertical rectangle. So because of this I had to either push air up or down in the case, I chose up for two reasons. Hot air is less dense and rises, and if I chose down it would blow into the GPU. Also by flipping the case upside down I overcame a rather odd design feature...

The only intake fan on this case is at the bottom section, and the upper section is almost totally isolated from it.
"Three interior zones to isolate hardware for better heat dissipation" Ummm what now?

There's one opening that is taken up by all the cables. Originally, before doing anything else to the stock case, I just drilled a bunch of holes in that entire horizontal piece, hoping the air would rise into the mobo area to cool it off. Then I tried mounting a fan in the drive bay area. That worked pretty well, but once I got the new mobo and heatsink I had to decide to push air up in the GPU, or down into a solid piece of aluminum. So I cut out that piece of aluminum, so that the PSU would exhaust the CPU heat. Now I was just hacking left and right gutting the thing and decided to flip it entirely, and that's how it has stayed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-19-2014, 07:19 PM

Liked: 18
Honestly with that orientation of the heatsink I'd suggest the side. If your motherboard is getting hot, swap it to the front. Also, is it blowing the hot air from the cpu straight into your psu intake?

post #3 of 9 Old 04-19-2014, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levelog View Post

Honestly with that orientation of the heatsink I'd suggest the side. If your motherboard is getting hot, swap it to the front. Also, is it blowing the hot air from the cpu straight into your psu intake?

Thanks for the input. The CPU fan blows up into the PSU's intake, yes. Hey, we pretty much run the same rig thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-19-2014, 07:30 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariboodle View Post

Thanks for the input. The CPU fan blows up into the PSU's intake, yes. Hey, we pretty much run the same rig thumb.gif

That is a really interesting case setup though. I like it.

post #5 of 9 Old 04-20-2014, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Bump for a couple more opinions.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-20-2014, 08:07 PM

Liked: 40
How about to place a intake fan in the bottom location?
I think that the bottom mount location is easier to mod then the side window.

post #7 of 9 Old 04-21-2014, 01:31 AM
Commodore 64

Liked: 1629
The less turns the air has to make the better.
Front intake, cooler facing back, exhaust out back.
Also, fans mounted inside if case tend to recycle case air while fans mounted on vents draw in or expel case air. wink.gif

post-flame-small.gifPhanteks Owners Club post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifWays to Better Cooling post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gif1. Controling PWM Case Fans post-flame-small.gif2. Optimizing Case Cooling post-flame-small.gif3. Cooler Size Comparison & Cooling Comparison
post-flame-small.gif
=i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socket
Phanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPU i7 980xCooler R1 Ultimate w/ TY-147A fans RAM Dominator GT 6x2GB GPU ENGTX580 DCUII PSU Corsair TX850 Case [/COLOR]Phanteks Enthoo PrimoBase custom caster base
=i7 980X @ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #8 of 9 Old 04-21-2014, 07:22 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 42
Quote:
How about to place a intake fan in the bottom location?
I think that the bottom mount location is easier to mod then the side window.
Yes, I think thats what I would do. Also place some casters on the case instead of just using sticks.

I think I would also take off that exhaust fan on the back near the heatsink, and mount it on the heatsink itself in a push pull arrangement. I think the exhaust fan on the back would mess up the bottom to top air flow pattern.

I would also stick in two 80mm fans at the top of the case (if thats the holes size as I see it).
post #9 of 9 Old 04-21-2014, 07:42 AM

Liked: 40
Current poll results:

Front intake: 0
Side intake: 1
Bottom intake: 2

biggrin.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version