** Thermlright Le GRAND MACHO is out! ** - Page 10 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 175 Old 12-14-2017, 12:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 228
How does this cooler compare to a TRUE 120? I currently have one of those with a 120x38 2500 RPM fan cooling my X5670. I don't have any issues with temperature, but if I decide to stay with the ATX form factor for my next build I will need a new cooler because I don't have mounting brackets for Intel's mainstream socket.

There is no such thing as "future-proof."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyone 
Chess, where did you get __________ for $_____?
eBay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 175 Old 12-14-2017, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Liked: 1629
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmyantidrug View Post

How does this cooler compare to a TRUE 120? I currently have one of those with a 120x38 2500 RPM fan cooling my X5670. I don't have any issues with temperature, but if I decide to stay with the ATX form factor for my next build I will need a new cooler because I don't have mounting brackets for Intel's mainstream socket.
Is your TRUE 120 the original 4x heatpipe model? Comparing TRUE 120 to Le Grand Macho RT is like comparing a Pomeranian to a Great Dane. biggrin.gif Thermalright does make and sell updated mount for these older coolers.

Original TRUE 120 is a good small 4x heatpipe tower cooler like are many on the market today. While using the extreme fan you have on your TRUE 120, obviously it increases it's cooling ability (at the expense of being very loud) it still has about half the cooling ability or less of what Le Grand Macho has at a much lower noise level .. a noise level that is from inaudible to just audible in most homes.
jd63636 likes this.

post-flame-small.gifPhanteks Owners Club post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifWays to Better Cooling post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gif1. Controling PWM Case Fans post-flame-small.gif2. Optimizing Case Cooling post-flame-small.gif3. Cooler Size Comparison & Cooling Comparison
post-flame-small.gif
=i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socket
Phanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPU i7 980xCooler R1 Ultimate w/ TY-147A fans RAM Dominator GT 6x2GB GPU ENGTX580 DCUII PSU Corsair TX850 Case [/COLOR]Phanteks Enthoo PrimoBase custom caster base
=i7 980X @ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #93 of 175 Old 12-14-2017, 02:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 228
Yes, it's the original 4-heatpipe design. I know I can buy more mounting hardware, but I figure I might as well buy a newer cooler at that point. Mounting the TRUE isn't exactly a party. I built a computer for a friend and used the Phanteks PH-TC12DX and it was so much easier to install than my TRUE.

The noise from my fan doesn't bother me at all. I sleep with my PC on right beside my desk.

There is no such thing as "future-proof."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyone 
Chess, where did you get __________ for $_____?
eBay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 175 Old 12-14-2017, 04:41 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

There is only one source of Thermalright in USA
http://www.nansgaminggear.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Macho-Grand-RT

They usually sell on Amazon and sometimes on Newegg with total cost including shipping being less than from their on site. No idea why.

NH-D15 should do a good job of cooling. Definitely check you have a good seat. Le Grand Macho is quieter than D15, but both are very close to each other in temps .. LGM is mabye a little better, but not by much.

Oh thanks for the website. Couldn't find this in stock anywhere. Would it be worth it to use the TY-143 with this? I'm not sure about the PWM curve on this.
post #95 of 175 Old 12-14-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furywins View Post

Oh thanks for the website. Couldn't find this in stock anywhere. Would it be worth it to use the TY-143 with this? I'm not sure about the PWM curve on this.

Huh, I bought mine from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Grand-Macho-fan-TY-147B/dp/B01BCLXO7Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513314373&sr=8-1&keywords=le+grand+macho

Seems to be out of stock there too, I'd message nan's on Amazon or through their website, they get back within a day or so.
EDIT: Nan's lists 2 as in stock: http://www.nansgaminggear.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Macho%2DGrand%2DRT

As for the "PWM curve" on the TY-147B, I think it's pretty flat. I've got the minimum set to 500rpm on mine, and I only ever see it get up to 1050rpm or so with a "silent" / linear PWM curve set in my bios.
Here's a comparison of input voltages, rpms, noise, air flow, and air pressure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVBat5ELesc

Here's a similar video for the TY-143: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTXyVPLyxhY

The 143 will be faster / push more air, but definitely louder. The Le Grande Macho heatsink has big fins with plenty of space inbetween them, so it's designed to have less restriction / used with a lower speed/pressure fan. The 143 might get you some better cooling, but it'd have to be really extreme to need it.
post #96 of 175 Old 12-15-2017, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainhander View Post

Huh, I bought mine from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Grand-Macho-fan-TY-147B/dp/B01BCLXO7Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513314373&sr=8-1&keywords=le+grand+macho

Seems to be out of stock there too, I'd message nan's on Amazon or through their website, they get back within a day or so.
EDIT: Nan's lists 2 as in stock: http://www.nansgaminggear.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Macho%2DGrand%2DRT

As for the "PWM curve" on the TY-147B, I think it's pretty flat. I've got the minimum set to 500rpm on mine, and I only ever see it get up to 1050rpm or so with a "silent" / linear PWM curve set in my bios.
Here's a comparison of input voltages, rpms, noise, air flow, and air pressure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVBat5ELesc

Here's a similar video for the TY-143: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTXyVPLyxhY

The 143 will be faster / push more air, but definitely louder. The Le Grande Macho heatsink has big fins with plenty of space inbetween them, so it's designed to have less restriction / used with a lower speed/pressure fan. The 143 might get you some better cooling, but it'd have to be really extreme to need it.

Yeah I bought it already. I was kind of thinking that the 143 would be cool incase I ever need a slightly higher RPM and I can just use the included 147 as a rear exhaust. From some numbers I looked at, it doesn't seem to get that loud at ~1800-2000 rpm but it might just be a superfluous buy. I might cancel the 143 considering I have an eLoop lying around that will work great as an exhaust.

Current set up looking like 1x 147 exhaust, GMRT+143 and 2x 140mm stock Phanteks/3 x 2150 GTs (friend has a couple lying around) intake on a Pro M SE.
post #97 of 175 Old 12-15-2017, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Quote:

Here is PWM to rpm curve

I have not tried a TY-143 high performance fan on Le Grand Macho. I'm sure added airflow would give lower temps, adn while the noise level of TY-143 is the same as TU-147 up to 1300rpm, it gets progressively louder as speed increases .. and for me 1150-1250 is about as loud as I want to listen too. You would also need to increase case airflow to match or TY-143 would be re-using it's on heated air, so even more noise.

Other coolers I've tested with TY-143 fans improved cooling 6-10c .. with case airflow matching cooler's needs.

If you want extreme cooling the Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme
https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-Silver-Arrow-IB-E-Extreme/dp/B00IYS6RF2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513340248&sr=8-1&keywords=silver+arrow+ib-e

or TRUE Spirit 140 Power with TY-143 fan
https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-True-Spirit-140-Power/dp/B00IYEEOMO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1513340357&sr=1-1&keywords=true+spirit+140+power
https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-TY-143-High-speed-bearing/dp/B009QGHQ1K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1513340399&sr=1-1&keywords=ty-143

Both of the above on i7-920 @ 4.2GHz improved cooling by 8-10c over stock 1300rpm fans .. but were ungodly loud.

Here is Silver Arrow SB-E , Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme and H100i cooler comparison. Silver Arrow IB-E has offset base but cools same as Silver Arrow SB-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6xrsuPwDbo&t=9s

post-flame-small.gifPhanteks Owners Club post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifWays to Better Cooling post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gif1. Controling PWM Case Fans post-flame-small.gif2. Optimizing Case Cooling post-flame-small.gif3. Cooler Size Comparison & Cooling Comparison
post-flame-small.gif
=i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socket
Phanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPU i7 980xCooler R1 Ultimate w/ TY-147A fans RAM Dominator GT 6x2GB GPU ENGTX580 DCUII PSU Corsair TX850 Case [/COLOR]Phanteks Enthoo PrimoBase custom caster base
=i7 980X @ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #98 of 175 Old 12-15-2017, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Quote:

Yeah I bought it already. I was kind of thinking that the 143 would be cool incase I ever need a slightly higher RPM and I can just use the included 147 as a rear exhaust. From some numbers I looked at, it doesn't seem to get that loud at ~1800-2000 rpm but it might just be a superfluous buy. I might cancel the 143 considering I have an eLoop lying around that will work great as an exhaust.

Current set up looking like 1x 147 exhaust, GMRT+143 and 2x 140mm stock Phanteks/3 x 2150 GTs (friend has a couple lying around) intake on a Pro M SE.
With good intake fans you do not need exhaust fans.
If you try using a TY-143 on cooler and do not increase case airflow to match you will gain very little additional cooling ability.
After you get used to system sound levels below 1300rpm I would be very surprised if you will be able to listen to 1800-2000rpm noise levels.

I have setup 2 systems with TY-143 fans on cooler and case. The only times I used them above 1200rpm was playing around. To get system hot enough (above 73c CPU) I had to turn of both case and cooler fans, wait about 10 minutes with CPU running 1000% rendering load for CPU to reach 80c, then turn fans back on. They would run full speed for a couple minutes then over another couple of minutes slowly lower rpm until back to normal speed of about 1050-1150rpm rendering load speed.

Short story, 1the 200-300rpm extra speed above normal heavy load is all I've ever needed to keep CPU and other components at reasonable temperature levels, so I no longer use TY-143 fans to have extra speed / airflow .. because I found I never needed it.

It might be nice if TY-147A was 300-1500rpm or maybe 300-1600rpm fan, but I've found 1300rpm to be adequate.

But I will use TY-143 and TY-143 SQ fans in systems I want red and orange color scheme. tongue.gif

post-flame-small.gif
post #99 of 175 Old 12-15-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

With good intake fans you do not need exhaust fans.
If you try using a TY-143 on cooler and do not increase case airflow to match you will gain very little additional cooling ability.
After you get used to system sound levels below 1300rpm I would be very surprised if you will be able to listen to 1800-2000rpm noise levels.

I have setup 2 systems with TY-143 fans on cooler and case. The only times I used them above 1200rpm was playing around. To get system hot enough (above 73c CPU) I had to turn of both case and cooler fans, wait about 10 minutes with CPU running 1000% rendering load for CPU to reach 80c, then turn fans back on. They would run full speed for a couple minutes then over another couple of minutes slowly lower rpm until back to normal speed of about 1050-1150rpm rendering load speed.

Short story, 1the 200-300rpm extra speed above normal heavy load is all I've ever needed to keep CPU and other components at reasonable temperature levels, so I no longer use TY-143 fans to have extra speed / airflow .. because I found I never needed it.

It might be nice if TY-147A was 300-1500rpm or maybe 300-1600rpm fan, but I've found 1300rpm to be adequate.

But I will use TY-143 and TY-143 SQ fans in systems I want red and orange color scheme. tongue.gif

I kind of just bought it because I was curious about it and for the extra RPM should I ever need it. I don't think I'll ever need to run it that high. Functionally, I believe it should perform the same at the same RPM. I think with my ASUS motherboard and GPU, I can sync them with case fans so I'm not too worried about needing to increase speeds . I forgot about the ugly colour scheme so I do regret buying it.

As for intake, I have a whole bunch of fans lying around that I can use. It will be interesting to see what I end up going with between the eloops (i use a shroud), 24v NF A14s, gentle typhoons, ml140s or the stock phanteks fans. I like the sound signature of the GTs a lot so I have high hopes for them despite being 120mm fans.
post #100 of 175 Old 12-16-2017, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Quote:

I kind of just bought it because I was curious about it and for the extra RPM should I ever need it. I don't think I'll ever need to run it that high. Functionally, I believe it should perform the same at the same RPM. I think with my ASUS motherboard and GPU, I can sync them with case fans so I'm not too worried about needing to increase speeds . I forgot about the ugly colour scheme so I do regret buying it.

As for intake, I have a whole bunch of fans lying around that I can use. It will be interesting to see what I end up going with between the eloops (i use a shroud), 24v NF A14s, gentle typhoons, ml140s or the stock phanteks fans. I like the sound signature of the GTs a lot so I have high hopes for them despite being 120mm fans.
Sounds like some good fans there. Definitely interested in seeing how it all turns out. thumb.gif

post-flame-small.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page