Heatsink and case fans - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-31-2016, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

I'm building a mATX 5820k system inside the Fractal Design Define Mini case with NH-D14 cooler as it is probably the best cooler within 160mm height however I would like to replace the Noctua fans with black PWM fans to match the colour of the build and replace the case fans with better ones. I have a budget of £60 max for these fans.

The Define Mini case has these fan mount points but I'm not sure if I need a fan on the top and side panel as well as correct me if I set exhaust or intake fans wrong below:

1x 120mm rear (exhaust)
2x 120mm front (intake)
1x 120mm bottom (intake)
1x 120/140mm top (?)
1x 120/140mm side panel (?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-31-2016, 10:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 1629
What GPU do you plan to use? Total case airflow needs to be greater than the combined airflow of all components.

You might find "Ways to Better Cooling" link in my sig useful. 1st post is index. Click on topic to see it. I suggest starting with 5th topic.

post-flame-small.gifPhanteks Owners Club post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifWays to Better Cooling post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gif1. Controling PWM Case Fans post-flame-small.gif2. Optimizing Case Cooling post-flame-small.gif3. Cooler Size Comparison & Cooling Comparison
post-flame-small.gif
=i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socket
Phanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPU i7 980xCooler R1 Ultimate w/ TY-147A fans RAM Dominator GT 6x2GB GPU ENGTX580 DCUII PSU Corsair TX850 Case [/COLOR]Phanteks Enthoo PrimoBase custom caster base
=i7 980X @ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #3 of 7 Old 05-31-2016, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

What GPU do you plan to use? Total case airflow needs to be greater than the combined airflow of all components.

You might find "Ways to Better Cooling" link in my sig useful. 1st post is index. Click on topic to see it. I suggest starting with 5th topic.
I have the Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X GPU with a fan profile that doesn't go above 70C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-31-2016, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Should I have a fan on the top/side panel?
post #5 of 7 Old 06-01-2016, 12:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Did you read what I suggested?
Top may work as exhaust, but most likely no fan needed. Might increase noise level, but usually not enough to bother.
Side may or may not be helpful. It will increase noise level if sound dampening is removed.
Raising case up on 30-40 mm blocks greatly improves airflow to bottom vents to PSU and component, (post 15).
I rarely use motherboard I/O panel. This improve airflow over motherboard from CPU to back

post-flame-small.gifPhanteks Owners Club post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifWays to Better Cooling post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gif1. Controling PWM Case Fans post-flame-small.gif2. Optimizing Case Cooling post-flame-small.gif3. Cooler Size Comparison & Cooling Comparison
post-flame-small.gif
=i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socket
Phanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPU i7 980xCooler R1 Ultimate w/ TY-147A fans RAM Dominator GT 6x2GB GPU ENGTX580 DCUII PSU Corsair TX850 Case [/COLOR]Phanteks Enthoo PrimoBase custom caster base
=i7 980X @ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #6 of 7 Old 06-02-2016, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Did you read what I suggested?
Top may work as exhaust, but most likely no fan needed. Might increase noise level, but usually not enough to bother.
Side may or may not be helpful. It will increase noise level if sound dampening is removed.
Raising case up on 30-40 mm blocks greatly improves airflow to bottom vents to PSU and component, (post 15).
I rarely use motherboard I/O panel. This improve airflow over motherboard from CPU to back
There is a 140mm noise absorbing material on the top vent of the case, should I remove that?

Also, I'm going to replace the fans on the NH-D14 heatsink with Gentle Typhoon fans so the default and best fan setup on the heatsink is front intake and middle exhaust (push and pull)?
post #7 of 7 Old 06-02-2016, 06:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lither View Post

There is a 140mm noise absorbing material on the top vent of the case, should I remove that?

Also, I'm going to replace the fans on the NH-D14 heatsink with Gentle Typhoon fans so the default and best fan setup on the heatsink is front intake and middle exhaust (push and pull)?
I rarely use top venting. Front to back flow is much better. I suggested reading some of the articles in "Ways to Better Cooling" link in my sig. Have you read the 5th post yet?

post-flame-small.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page