Commodore 64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknessrise13 View Post

Even through the CClip?
Zep 45 is a pentetrant oil with teflon added. I have often 'fixed' noisy and seized fan and similar motors by just a small amount put on clips / seals, running for awhile and giving them a little more. I have some of the liquid in a little 'pin oiler' something like these. They are quite small .. and hold about ½ fl. oz. (17cc) when full. wink.gif

post-flame-small.gifPhanteks Owners Club post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifWays to Better Cooling post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gif1. Controling PWM Case Fans post-flame-small.gif2. Optimizing Case Cooling post-flame-small.gif3. Cooler Size Comparison & Cooling Comparison
post-flame-small.gif
=i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socket
Phanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPU i7 980xCooler R1 Ultimate w/ TY-147A fans RAM Dominator GT 6x2GB GPU ENGTX580 DCUII PSU Corsair TX850 Case [/COLOR]Phanteks Enthoo PrimoBase custom caster base
=i7 980X @ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 07-18-2016, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Zep 45 is a pentetrant oil with teflon added. I have often 'fixed' noisy and seized fan and similar motors by just a small amount put on clips / seals, running for awhile and giving them a little more. I have some of the liquid in a little 'pin oiler' something like these. They are quite small .. and hold about ½ fl. oz. (17cc) when full. wink.gif

I have some oil that came with hair clippers, would it be sufficient?

post #13 of 21 Old 07-18-2016, 05:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Do you have a silicon oil spray or something? That's what I would use since it doesn't destroy plastic, rubber, etc. unlike WD40 which is kinda aggressive and metal only.
Sure some machine oil should work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 Old 07-18-2016, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

Do you have a silicon oil spray or something? That's what I would use since it doesn't destroy plastic, rubber, etc. unlike WD40 which is kinda aggressive and metal only.

Only oil I've got on hand is WD40 and generic oil for hair clippers, mostly made the thread to get an idea of what to use and where to get it. Or if I could even do it, since most ball bearings are sealed.

post #15 of 21 Old 07-18-2016, 11:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 514
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

Only oil I've got on hand is WD40 and generic oil for hair clippers, mostly made the thread to get an idea of what to use and where to get it. Or if I could even do it, since most ball bearings are sealed.

Assuming you are in the U.S, get this oiler from Amazon. WD-40 is definitely out and I have no idea what kind of oil is used for hair clippers.
post #16 of 21 Old 07-19-2016, 02:29 AM
Commodore 64

Quote:

What Lady Fitzgerald said. thumb.gif
WD-40 IS NOT A LUBRICANT!!!
Without knowing what the 'hair clipper oil' is I would guess it is a light machine oil and will work fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Break-Free-CLP-PS-Precision-Shooter/dp/B0050GWAVG/ref=sr_1_2?s=hunting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1468914688&sr=1-2&keywords=oil+pen

https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Lubricating-14-9-Precision-Bottle/dp/B0013R67A6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468914870&sr=8-1&keywords=needle+oiler

post-flame-small.gifPhanteks Owners Club post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifWays to Better Cooling post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gif1. Controling PWM Case Fans post-flame-small.gif2. Optimizing Case Cooling post-flame-small.gif3. Cooler Size Comparison & Cooling Comparison
post-flame-small.gif
=i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socket
Phanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPU i7 980xCooler R1 Ultimate w/ TY-147A fans RAM Dominator GT 6x2GB GPU ENGTX580 DCUII PSU Corsair TX850 Case [/COLOR]Phanteks Enthoo PrimoBase custom caster base
=i7 980X @ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #17 of 21 Old 07-19-2016, 06:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 514
Quote:

Quote:

What Lady Fitzgerald said. thumb.gif
WD-40 IS NOT A LUBRICANT!!!
Without knowing what the 'hair clipper oil' is I would guess it is a light machine oil and will work fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Break-Free-CLP-PS-Precision-Shooter/dp/B0050GWAVG/ref=sr_1_2?s=hunting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1468914688&sr=1-2&keywords=oil+pen

https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Lubricating-14-9-Precision-Bottle/dp/B0013R67A6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468914870&sr=8-1&keywords=needle+oiler

Breakfree is an excellent product as is Triflow. Both are primarily for freeing up frozen parts but do leave a decent lubricating film. The problem with both products you linked is they are part of Amazon's Add On program; the OP would have to purchase an additional $25 of other merchandise to be able to buy the two you linked (I wish Amazon would give people the option to pay a bit more for an Add On product instead of forcing them to spend money on additional products they don't need, not to mention I thought Prime was supposed to cover faster shipping on all products).

While I'm not personally familiar with the product I linked, it received excellent reviews and is a synthetic lube. Synthetic lubes normally do not thicken over time, allowing them to last longer, and tend to be "slicker". It's also more affordable since it doesn't require an additional purchase to be allowed to buy it.
post #18 of 21 Old 07-19-2016, 06:45 AM
Commodore 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

Breakfree is an excellent product as is Triflow. Both are primarily for freeing up frozen parts but do leave a decent lubricating film. The problem with both products you linked is they are part of Amazon's Add On program; the OP would have to purchase an additional $25 of other merchandise to be able to buy the two you linked (I wish Amazon would give people the option to pay a bit more for an Add On product instead of forcing them to spend money on additional products they don't need, not to mention I thought Prime was supposed to cover faster shipping on all products).

While I'm not personally familiar with the product I linked, it received excellent reviews and is a synthetic lube. Synthetic lubes normally do not thicken over time, allowing them to last longer, and tend to be "slicker". It's also more affordable since it doesn't require an additional purchase to be allowed to buy it.
My bad for not reading details. blushsmiley.gif
I guess I was just a little distracted by all this 'use WD-40' garbage and trying to find a lower cost alternative.

Synthetic lubes are usually very good. Should work fine.

post-flame-small.gif
post #19 of 21 Old 07-19-2016, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

Quote:

My bad for not reading details. blushsmiley.gif
I guess I was just a little distracted by all this 'use WD-40' garbage and trying to find a lower cost alternative.

Synthetic lubes are usually very good. Should work fine.

Thanks for all your help, I need some stuff from amazon anyways so I'll pick up the hoppes oil and we'll see how it goes. Now to figure out how to remove the paint from the fans... White and red is not easy to match.

post #20 of 21 Old 07-19-2016, 08:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 268
I use something similar to Starret Tool and Instrument Oil using a needle oil bottle, links below to similar items that I've used:

https://www.amazon.ca/Starrett-1620-Tool-Instrument-Oil/dp/B000KUA2FI
https://www.amazon.ca/SODIAL-Needle-Nozzle-Plastic-Machine/dp/B00IIDYBZ6/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1468939172&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=neddle+oil+bottle

Spoiler!

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page