post #2012 of 6667 Old 05-15-2011, 12:49 AM
Overclocker in Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf;13503554 
Yes. The 4 copper heatpipes absolutely HAVE to be in full contact with the CPU for the heatsink to function. If only the grey aluminum of the base comes in contact you essentially render the heatsink useless as it's ability to transfer the heat to the heatpipes would be greatly diminished.

The theory is that filling in the gaps will help with the heat transfer, but my tests have shown that not to be the case. I've tried applying the TIM just about every way imaginable except for applying the lines directly to the heatpipes themselves and I'll be trying that early next week after the Chimp Challenge is over.

As for your motherboard, the ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 seems to be okay. Not sure how much difference there is between that and yours though. But unless you have the really tall heatspreaders on your ram you shouldn't have a problem. You might need to slide the fan up just a bit to clear the ram closest to the cpu, but that should affect cooling enough to worry about. Maybe 1 or 2C at most, if even that much.

another logic that i can think of by not filling the gaps is that the after applying tim by line method it can find its way up those unfilled gaps.

is there a substantial diff. in temps. you got with and w/o filling the gaps??

reg. the mobo i guess i will only find by putting the cooler on, but yes the M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 has similar distance between cpu socket and ram slots and also that my ram dosent have heat spreaders!
post #2013 of 6667 Old 05-15-2011, 01:42 AM
1.7ghz

Liked: 11
how can i enable pwm setting in extreme4? my blade master on my hyper 212+ runs at 2000 at all time, my dad complains that its super loud.... idk how to set it.

LGA 1155 Owners Club

AMD Radeon HD 69xx Owners Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2014 of 6667 Old 05-15-2011, 03:41 AM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 0
^^
you can change the settings in the bios
under power menu there would be an option named cpu q-fan
set it to silent or optimal
post #2015 of 6667 Old 05-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Commodore 64

Liked: 5
What do you guys think of the Yate Loon D12SL-12's push-pull setup on the front page of this thread? Would it be better or worse than the stock single fan that comes with the 212 performance and noise wise? I have a red theme going on and think it would look sweet in my case.

post #2016 of 6667 Old 05-15-2011, 09:05 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 54
The Low speed Yate's are good, but personally I think the Medium speed's offer the best balance of noise and performance.

You may opt for a second stock Blademaster fan though, that way you can control them both w/ PVM. You'll need a 4pin Y-adapter for this, but they are pretty cheap.
post #2017 of 6667 Old 05-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Commodore 64

Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter116 View Post
The Low speed Yate's are good, but personally I think the Medium speed's offer the best balance of noise and performance.

You may opt for a second stock Blademaster fan though, that way you can control them both w/ PVM. You'll need a 4pin Y-adapter for this, but they are pretty cheap.
So 2 Blademasters would definitely be better than the 2 Yate's on the first page of this thread?

post #2018 of 6667 Old 05-15-2011, 10:47 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 54
In terms of potential cooling performance, yes. But they will definitely be louder if they run at max RPM, which is almost double that of the Yate's.
post #2019 of 6667 Old 05-15-2011, 05:12 PM
Commodore 128D

Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by abu46;13509715 
another logic that i can think of by not filling the gaps is that the after applying tim by line method it can find its way up those unfilled gaps.

is there a substantial diff. in temps. you got with and w/o filling the gaps??

reg. the mobo i guess i will only find by putting the cooler on, but yes the M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 has similar distance between cpu socket and ram slots and also that my ram dosent have heat spreaders!

I noticed about 2C difference. But the big change was that the temps between all 4 cores was closer together than the other way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunit2004;13512175 
What do you guys think of the Yate Loon D12SL-12's push-pull setup on the front page of this thread? Would it be better or worse than the stock single fan that comes with the 212 performance and noise wise? I have a red theme going on and think it would look sweet in my case.

A pair of Low Speed Yates would be a LOT quieter than the single Blademaster, but your temps would be several degrees higher. I would go with the Medium Speeds personally. A pair of them should be within a degree or so of the single BladeMaster and considerably quieter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter116;13512276 

Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunit2004;13513029 
So 2 Blademasters would definitely be better than the 2 Yate's on the first page of this thread?

Temp wise at full rpm from best to poorest.
2 Hi Speed Yates > 2 BladeMasters > Single Hi Speed Yate > Single BladeMaster > 2 Medium Yates or 2 BladeMasters at 1,600 rpms > > 2 Low Speed Yates. For the most part you'll probably only see 1-2C difference between any jump until you get to the low speed Yates.

As far as sound goes, it would be the reverse order. If you don't OC much then the 2 Low Speed Yates should be okay, but the Mediums give you more leeway. See this thread for some actual numbers. A Medium Speed Yate should give the same results as a BladeMaster at 1,600 RPMs.

Chimp Challenge Participant  3 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #2020 of 6667 Old 05-15-2011, 09:49 PM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 2

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page