Hotter after Wire Management??? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-17-2006, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 195
So when I was doing my case mod I had to gut my computer, but since it went to hell I had to put all my stuff back into old computer. This time I thought I would do some wire management to keep it looking clean and to maybe get better airflow. Well that isnt the case as my Board temp is now 10*C higher (29*C to 39*C) and now my GPU runs 5*C higher at idle (50*C). CPU is still the same and the OC is still the same, actually a little less.

I thought I had good airflow but I guess not. I have 2 78CFM fans as exhaust and 1 80MM fan right over my CPU for direct air, but why would my temps go that much higher when the cables arent in the way...I'll take a pic when I get home to show you what it looks like.

I'm almost considering pulling out the wires and having them all over the place.

The ambient temps isn't a factor since I left my door open when it was 40*F outside to see if that was the case that my room got hotter but that didnt help much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-17-2006, 12:35 PM
krunks bad at pc's

Liked: 898
Very weird. Have you tried using as5 on the videocard and chipset?

FOLD FOR OCN - TEAM 37726
OC Settings: 4800mhz 100x48, 1.4500 vcore, 1600mhz Mem 9-9-9-24, 1200/1600 GPU @ 1.26v.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-17-2006, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

I just purchased a NV silencer and will probably get it on Tuesday or Wednesday so we'll see, the CPU temps havent changed, they are still 34*C/41-43*C. So the system temp doesnt affect the CPU but it affects the GPU since that has risen.

The Chipset has the Asus CoolPipe, but before the wires would bunch up over the chipset, but could that have actually created some sort of pocket that kept it cooler?? I have no clue but I'm about to see if having the wires everywhere helps.

I used to have 1 of those 78CFM fans as intake right by my GPU but after I put it together my temps went up so i thought I was pumping too much are into the case so I turned it around and used it as an exhaust. Is it possible my Chipset temp is caused by my GPU temp or vise versa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-17-2006, 12:41 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 316
Clean out the mobo and such with a high power air spray, sometimes dust gets in there and messes up temps.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-17-2006, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

Well when I took it out I cleaned off the dust, which was minimal, but i'll try that
post #6 of 8 Old 02-17-2006, 01:07 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 116
how did u do your latest cable management? is it blocking the intake slits on the psu? are the cables bunched up in front of or around the cpu? are the cables bunched around the intake of the exhaust fan? last question, are the cables hanging right in the middle of the casing?

try to answer the question and i might be able to help you out. also u might want to check the following FAQ out but take not it doesnt specifically explain the cable management but will be able to give you a good idea about case air cooling management. another question, your mosfets are they the exposed coil type? and are the cables anywhere near them?

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/71307-...now-about.html
post #7 of 8 Old 02-17-2006, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

I'll take a picture and post it up here later when I get home
post #8 of 8 Old 02-17-2006, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

Well aparently it is my ambient temp since I opened my door tonight (50*F) and the system temp dropped as well as the GPU...gonna have to find a better way to keep my room cooler without turning the AC on

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page