A cooling conundrum - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-11-2011, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Well to start, I've got my hyper 212+ "customized" with a second fan in a push pull configuration. This fan was originally a case fan but after adding the H212, I no longer had room for it, and since it was 120mm, it was a perfect fit to add. I discreetly wired it to the heatsink and it looks pretty good actually. It gave me about a 5C temp drop which I was happy with. But I WANT MORE!! you know how it is... never enough So I was toying with a couple of options.

1. Attach another 120mm fan on the OUTSIDE of the case window where the old fan used to be attached inside. This would effectively be blowing directly on top of the heatsink, and I don't think this would be counterproductive to my push pull config, but I don't know.

2. Cut a hole in the back of my case directly underneath the cpu and mount a fan there. Now the question I had was which would be better, sucking hot air out, or blowing cooler air in? Or is this even a good idea?

Using my current OC: 4.2ghz X3 1.48v CPU-NB@ 2800 1.38v
IDLE: 39C-40C LOAD: 52C MAX

I would really just like to get those Idle temps down. The weird thing is, is that even when lowering my OC and voltage, the temps dont seem to budge until I at least get past 3.8ghz and down to 1.4v, and even then its only a couple of degrees C.

Thanks in advance!

555 BE 4.2ghz X3 CPU-Z Validation

sneaky.gifAMD 4GHz Clubsneaky.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-11-2011, 08:03 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 190
I wouldn't worry about idle temps, and your load looks fine. Adding a fan to the side or back, pushing air in, can lead to air flow turbulence. You could always try it, but by the looks of it, there is no need.

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant 

post #3 of 4 Old 04-11-2011, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Liked: 0
I was wondering about that... I kindof figured that the push pull may be better left to itself... I was also considering getting the Thermaltake Element G VL10001W2Z because the PS is on the bottom and it has better fan placement.. and its just a better case

555 BE 4.2ghz X3 CPU-Z Validation

sneaky.gifAMD 4GHz Clubsneaky.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Overclocking since 1996

Liked: 289

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version